Morris Hotel

Khaled Bin El Walid St, Luxor 002 Egypt

Good

poor at best

Reviewed Tue 4th of January 2011

"We stayed at this hotel for several nights first impressions the outside looked poor. There wass rubbish everywhere and a
building site next to it.once inside the lobby area was quite nice due to the marble. In the bedrooms the bathroom door didnt shut and had big holes in the frame the decor was dirty and tired. The patio door didnt shut properly, the curtin was hanging off and the telephone was filthy i didnt want to touch it. The smoke alarm had been blocked off with material when we asked the staff why this was he denied it was a smoke alarm and just shugged his shoulders. At night there was hammering/drilling outside and because we were near to the lift one of which was only working made it very difficult to sleep. There was ony hot water two of the nights we were there also. Breakfast wasnt brilliant and we asked for bottled water and were given tap water and had to send it back. I wouldnt reconmend this hotel to anyone"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of December 2010

Stay away from this hotel

Reviewed Thu 15th of January 2009

"I visit this wonderful country every year. I must say that on this occasion staying at the Morris hotel was the worse experience I have ever had in Egypt.

I had a room on the third floor. All rooms and floors above were not finished except for the roof pool. No problem.

From the first day of our 14-night stay, there was no room heating, the air condition did not work. The room temperature never got above 15c. When I first complained about the cold, I was told to cuddle up in bed with my friend. I stated that it would be nice to simply read a book or watch TV instead of going straight to bed. The next day, moor blankets were put on the bed; they did not seem to get the point. In bed we were all right, the problem was out of bed. Getting out of bed in the mornings or after a warm shower was very uncomfortable. I asked for a heater that I could plug into the wall, apart from many excuses and the fact that a man was supposedly getting one, I continued to ask at reception and then even the owner. The owner said that he would have one here this day, then the next. Well, guess what, no! Eventually it arrived in our room three days before our departure, we were there for 14 nights. My friend and I left this hotel with colds.

There was no shower curtain, no plug for the bath, no hot water for the first few days. When we asked for a bath plug, they said, ah, that is easy, but it never arrived. I had to steel a plug from a room that had been vacated and was waiting for cleaning.

Will I ever come to this hotel again or recommend it to someone!

NO, NO

• Travel date: Wed 14th of January 2009

To give this hotel 1 out of 10 is being...

Reviewed Thu 31st of July 2008

"To give this hotel 1 out of 10 is being generous

You have been warned !

If you dont mind staying in a hotel that can only best be described as an unfinished building site with unfinished floors, frequent power cuts which meant you had to navigate down an unlit staircase from the roof top Pool, as if that wasnt bad enough, there were no bannister rails and building debris left on the stairs. At times no hot or cold water and lifts that dont work, call me picky, but i expect basic levels at the very least !

I just wish that they had got their act together in finishing the hotel and rectify all the problems before they claim to be open for business

we checked out earlier than anticipated and stayed in another hotel"

• Travel date: Thu 31st of July 2008

The Morris Hotel is like a ghost hotel,...

Reviewed Mon 11th of February 2008

"The Morris Hotel is like a ghost hotel, and no wonder, it was horrible. While we were there there were hardly any other guests and we breakfasted and dined on our own, and saw almost no other guests except for local people who I think must have been the family or relatives of the owner. Later on in our 7 days stay a few small groups of Japanese would come and go. But apart from them I got the feeling people would turn up and then switch hotels when they saw the less than smart location and that it was an unfinished building.

When we arrived the air was as if we were in a greasy kitchen, you could smell cooking everywhere and it got into our clothes and hair. It was like this for 5 days - we later learned that their kitchen extraction system had broken down. The greasy air and cooking smells together with the hotel being a construction site (it is not finished above two floors) really upset me and I wanted to check out as soon as I arrived.

I think there's something dodgy about the glowing reviews posted about the hotel, some of them sound like advertisements! I don't recognise some of the things that are said about it. Could they be phoney? We booked our holiday in this hotel based on the reviews we read about it and now I feel cheated.

There are not 175 rooms and 5 suites, as it says on the hotel's website - above the second floor there is NO glass in the windows, it is unoccupyable except by birds possibly nesting there. It would seem that people think because it is an unfinished building it is new and work is in progress, but it is not a new building, our room was old -I have picutures to prove this. They tell people is due to be finished, but they must have been saying this for years, we asked and were told it was going to completed in a month? It would take several months actually!

In February 2008 the blocked off stairway to the upper storeys is a building site that requires a hard hat and health and safety warnings. There was no lock on our sliding door, there was only one restaurant (hardly visited), the rooftop was always deserted, not a soul to be seen, there are power cuts - we didn't dare use the lift except for twice when we checked out the rooftop.

I didn't mention the bits that are not up to scratch about the hotel because Egypt is a less than affluent country, I didn't expect Western standards and therefore I am tolerant of the fact that there was not a luxury breakfast and dinner, no shower cap or other toiletries, no hairdryer. But I don't know why our sheets were too small and our legs and feet were on the bare mattress.

If you want ambience in a hotel you won't get it here, if anything it's a bit creepy. The hotel most certainly does not warrant the 4 star status, at the very very most I would give it 3 stars - but you cannot rate an unfinished building therefore it doesn't even warrant 3 stars.

• Travel date: Mon 11th of February 2008

You're foolish to stay anywhere else in Luxor; the Morris is the best!

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"My husband and I recently returned from a trip to Egypt. We have so many wonderful things to say about the Morris Hotel that we don't know where to begin! After spending four days in Luxor, we can honestly say this is our Egyptian home away from home, and if ever in Luxor again, we will go back without a doubt. To give you a couple of examples...

1. Our train was meant to arrive at Luxor train station at 5am but was delayed. Ehab (the hotel owner) and Sammy (in charge of housekeeping) were waiting there when we arrived at 7am to escort us to the hotel. They waited for two hours for us and didn't complain a bit!

2. Upon arrival, we were pleasantly surprised by the interior of the hotel. We sipped on our welcome beverage and relaxed in the lobby for a bit, and then Ehab let us check into our room early with no questions asked. (He also let us check out late on our last day, because our train didn't leave until 8pm).

3. Once you've had the chance to review other hotels in the area, you'll find that most are terribly more expensive than the Morris. After our stay there, we encouraged Ehab to raise the rates! Don't be fooled by the low rates here, it doesn't mean low quality. It just means you're getting a really super deal!

4. On our first night in the hotel, Ehab introduced us to a group of guys from Wales, and we ended up hitting it off and going on a few Egyptian adventures with them. Ehab also walked us over to Pub 2000 across the street and introduced us to Magdy, the owner of the restaurant. We had several delicious meals and several cold beers with Magdy and the Welsh guys. It proved to be a great finish to an evening. Normally we aren't the type to go to the same restaurant more than once while on holiday, but we couldn't resist multiple visits to Pub 2000, and much the same as Morris Hotel, we were treated like family.

5. Ehab organized several events for us, including a tour of Luxor, a camel ride, a hot air balloon ride, and a special anniversary dinner with the hotel restaurant to ourselves and our own personal waiter. It was a great time!

6. Upon departure from the hotel, we inadvertently left our passports behind the front desk. We were on the overnight train to Cairo when we realized the mistake. Without hesitation, Ehab's response was, don't worry! And we knew not to worry because we were sure Ehab would take care of us. By the time we had to depart our Cairo hotel, Ehab had a courier arrive with our passports.

7. Finally, just a general statement that the hotel was clean, safe, and the rooftop pool was a great feature.

We can't stress enough that the Morris Hotel should be your destination of choice in Luxor. We'd also like to send a sincere thank you to Ehab, Sammy, Magdy, and the rest of the folks at Morris Hotel and Pub 2000. It's so refreshing to be welcomed in a foreign country by people that understand the value of good customer service, and go out of their way to make you comfortable. Thanks to you, we had a really great Luxor holiday. You're the best!"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of December 2007

Wonderful Holiday Experience

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"My partner Julie and I have just got back after a week at the Morris Hotel - I have two main comments: 1 week was not enough & Can't wait to go back!
I read the reviews prior to booking and these were partly why we booked the Morris, also because we liked the look of the rooftop terrace / swimming pool and the central location. To quote 'you can never keep all of the people happy all of the time' is a fact, but I think that the glass will always be half empty for some people. If, like us you have the 'half full' philosophy I guarantee you will love this hotel. When I say hotel I would emphasise that the experience was made so very good by the staff themselves who we found without exception to be friendly, courteous and professional to the extreme – 6 star. From the moment we walked into the reception until the moment we left we were treat like VIPs and as the week progressed, somehow also like part of a big family. We booked half board and were very happy with the food and service. The cost of extras such as bar and pool snacks were also reasonable, including an excellent 5 course dinner on the last night. Having booked independently we had no rep, but didn’t need one as we were so well looked after and in fact ultimately saved a fortune by booking locally with expert guidance from the hotel staff. Our holiday experience in Luxor was exceptional and I can honestly say that it could not have been as good had we not stayed at the Morris. We visited other hotels during the week including a top 5 star, which was beautiful and might more suit people who prefer a resort cocoon, but for us even at the same price we would not dream of staying anywhere else in Egypt!"

• Travel date: Thu 11th of October 2007

The hotel is situated away from the main...

Reviewed Thu 13th of September 2007

"The hotel is situated away from the main roads in some back roads; do not let this put you off though as this means less traffic noise.

We were picked up by Customer relations manager from the airport. The staff are very friendly and helpful even though some do not understand English.

The hotel is 165 rooms but only the first 2 floors are complete. It is a nice hotel with a nice clean roof pool and has nice views over the Nile and the Valley of the Kings.

We were moved to a junior suite which is much better than the standard rooms. The hotel is a 4* hotel and is lacking a gym."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of September 2007

I stayed here in March 2007 and would li...

Reviewed Wed 12th of September 2007

"I stayed here in March 2007 and would like to also voice the good and the bad points - from my experience

Bad points.

This is NOT a 10/10 hotel, not yet anyway, and I am surprised that any reviewer can be so generous.

The reasons I give are as follows:

The hotel has 3 floors which are nothing more than a building site and these are accessible to residents, which means children could wander onto them also. These empty floors include rooms which have no windows, or doors and therefore present a potentially lethal hazard.

The terrace area has spectacular views of the Nile, but be warned this is not a place to bring children. The pool had no grid around the perimeter to cover the gully used for water overspill, instead it was left open and could cause some serious damage if you caught your foot in it. Also, the terrace railings around the whole of roof have gaps that are too far apart and again present a danger to children who could get stuck in them, or worse possibly get through them!!

The week I stayed I too experienced many problems with water, electricity and lifts being out of action. Believe me this is not enjoyable if you are unable to have a proper wash for 3 days, or you have to tread carefully down three flights of stairs from the roof terrace, in literally complete darkness because there are no lifts nor electricity. One day the only water coming out of the taps was so hot you couldn't wash in it, even the water when you flushed the toilet was hot. On another day there was no hot water at all. It got to the point where we did not know what we were going to wake up to or what was going to be the latest crisis when we returned to the hotel after a hot and sticky day sight seeing.

At our first breakfast at the hotel there was a pretty good selection of hot and cold options spread across one end of the dining room. Unfortunately that was the only morning it appeared. The choice became very limited after that. Only the main dining room was open for an evening meal - neither the Italian restaurant nor the cafe were open.

Good points.

I have to say I thought our room was nicely decorated, in a tasteful Egyptian style. There was a safe, fridge and a tv in the room. The bathroom was a good size and clean, with a powerful shower (when there was water coming out of it).

The staff were helpful and friendly and tried to sort out the many problems we encountered (not the manager however - who was nowhere to be seen). The staff were very particular at leaving the room freshly laundered and tidy. And they made an effort when serving and presenting any drinks/coffees/food requested.

The reception area was pleasant and comfortable, with elegant decor, fabrics and furnishings. It could be more inviting if they have made it a little brighter. They have used very dark colours and the lights are a little dim. The floor was washed or swept regularly to keep it clean.

There is definitely potential for this to be a very good hotel. They are providing some of the extra luxuries that will make it stand out from the rest. However they need to ensure they get the essentials right first. They need to address some health and safety issues, finish the other floors, open the restaurants which will encourage guests to stay in the hotel, and make use of the waste ground at the back. Of course, a few more guests would help and I hope that this picks up because in time, and with the right management attitude this really could be special. "

• Travel date: Wed 12th of September 2007

My son and myself went to the Morris Hot...

Reviewed Thu 6th of September 2007

"My son and myself went to the Morris Hotel in Luxor in Aug this year 2007. Upon arrival to the hotel we were shocked to see where the hotel was situated in a very poorly lit up slummy area. If it wasn't for the fact that we could get McDonalds we would have been hungry because there wasn't a choice just a set meal that was pretty much the same every other night.

There were only 9 sunbeds which in itself was pretty sad state of affairs and they let other people conm into the pool area and use these beds that we as paying guests have to make do with a flimsy piece of sponge to lay on on the floor if we don't get a bed before 10am. There wasn't a safety grill around the pool which is a really bad accident to a tourist just waiting to happen.

The rooms were ok apart from the sharp corners at the bottom of the beds (which we were always banging our legs on). Also a couple of the reception staff didn't understand English very well so by the time you started to get anywhere you'd either lost interest or lost your patience. I don't think that the pictures that you get on the internet tell the full story.

In my opinion it is not value for money and I WONT be going there again. Also I think that some thing needs to be done about not being able to even walk down the road in peace (come on enough is enough I'm all for people trying to make a living but not to the point were your almost swearing at them to leave you ALONE)."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of September 2007

hospitality egypt

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"From day one we found that the staff could not do enough for us
they treated us like royalty (and as a group two senior ,one adult and one child) they catered for all ages,the rooms were cleaned exceptionally well every day. also because each of us had different taste in foods (we are not alike when it came eating) they asked us what each would like and and they did their best to satisfy all of us,wonderful , we can find no fault with the hotel morris neither with its staff. Highly recommended.
Karen and Patrick Colvill"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of September 2007

excellent and friendly hotel

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"Just returned from a week stay at the morris with my mother and father. we had a excellent week Ehab (owner) and Sammy( house keeping manager) are excellent and really friendly will do anything for you and I will miss them both greatly.
Yes there are some floors that are not finished but you don't really notice that and the other restaurants and disco is closed but this didn't affect our stay in anyway.
The rooftop pool is always really clean and the views of the nile are excellent also mohamed the rooftop waiter is excellent and he doesn't keep bothering you but is there if you want anything.
The rooms are always very clean and we had nothing go missing and the cleaners were always very polite the rooms did not have a hairdryer but we had one on request within an hour. Also the towel designs are excellent.
The restaurant is lovely very spacious and well decorated however when we booked it was stated buffet style evening meal but on the first night when we went for evening meal it was set menu but however when we spoke to ehab about this he told us that if there was anything that we didn't like to just let them know and we could pick something else on the whole the food was very good alot of chicken. We went to pub 2000 which is by the hotel most days for lunch as it is very cheap and food is excellent and staff there are great.
If you want to do any excursions and don't want to book it yourself just see Ehab or Sammy also if you want cigarettes get one of them to get them as they charge tourists alot more than locals. Whilst in the hotel don't feel obliged to give tips as we didn't until the end of the week.
Would reccomend this hotel to anyone and hope to go back there myself, however wouldn't go at this time of year again as far to hot."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of August 2007

Dont believe all the good you read about the morris!!!

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"I read the reviews on here of the morris before i booked my holiday and it definately didnt live up to them. I would not fault the rooms they were nice and very clean, the animal shapes made from the towels were very good and the pool was too. However our room did not have a hair dryer which all rooms were listed to have and with my friend and i both not having bought one with us as we thought there would be one asked at reception for one. It took 4 days of our 7 day stay of asking up to three or four times a day at reception to finally get one after asking the house keeping staff. House keeping appeared very nice and helpful however both items which belonged to myself and my friend were missing upon our return which had been packed in our suitcase one of which was hair straigteners. We had checked our room before we left and were certain nothing had been left so my only conclusion is that housekeeping had got to them after i packed them as i they were only used once and then put away. So be careful with your belongings even in your room. As two 21 year old girls we did receive unwelcome attention from men as soon as we stepped outside the hotel but this also came from the hotel staff again who would not leave us alone when around the pool. I dont fault them for trying to be friendly but it turned into pestering us and even as bad that we had to tell them to leave us alone. Food was terrible even the bread in the morning was stale, lots of flies in the dinning room which i did not have in another place we ate and we did go out every day for dinner, Pub 2000 across the road was a great alternative. Some levels have not been finished but this wasnt a problem. The Italian restuarant was never open. Very noisy at night considering its "quiet location". How this is number 3 in the top hotels i have no idea and definately not 4 star."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of August 2007

Hotels near Morris Hotel

Stayed at Morris Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Morris Hotel

• Berniemyk by Berniemyk

"Luxor is an amazing city, this is why I come here every year. Find a good hotel. "

• Berniemyk by Berniemyk

"Sunset, Hussein’s, 7days 7ways, Sofra, Kings Head pub. Tombs & sites, Museums, Camel, Balloon. Bike "