Lotus Luxor Hotel

Khaled Ebn El Waleed St, Luxor 856856 Egypt

a real treat

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Spent one wonderful week here on a bed and breakfast basis. Excellent situation on banks of nile and within walking distance of all major sites and many bars and restaurants. Room delightful with splendid view of Nile - lovely pool and pool area - nothing to fault. Flew to Cairo for one day, very well organized by Jolleys (beneath Old Winter Palace where we also enjoyed afternoon tea) an excellent trip pyramids, sphinx, Cairo museum - all Tuts exhibits, bazaar - very tiring but well worth it. Enjoyed meals in the Ritz (dont be fooled by the name) and in many restaurants on banks of Nile and Sinbads for good cheap lunch. Weather in Feb perfect."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of March 2008

Great hotel for the price

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"My sister and I stayed in this hotel during our travels around Egypt. We were on a tour and out of all the hotels we stayed in, in Egypt this was by far the best. There is a large semi heated pool outside, the hotel is positioned on the Nile and the hotel is surrounding by a number of restaurants and fast food places. The hotel is in town and not a far walk away from all the temples. There seems to be two sections to the town (the area around the Lotus Hotel) and another section near the Luxor Temple.

The rooms themselves are spacious and clean. Apart from the guy who runs the internet (go to the internet cafe next to KFC/ Pizza Hut) the hotel was nice and for the price worth a stay."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of March 2008

Cancellation Policy!?

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We should have stayed in this hotel for 4 nigths in january 2008. Unfortunately we had to cancel our trip and hotel reservations because of illness.

Therefore we didn't actually stay at the hotel, but we experienced some problems with our cancellation, that left us frustrated.

We booked the hotel on a hostel website and they sent us contact information (phonenumber and e-mail address). (The Lotus hotel does not have its own website.)

It is normal, that when the booking is confirmed and payed on the hostel website, all communication between you and the hotel is directly (via phone or email) The hostel booking agent has no responsibility whatsoever.

Ten days before we should have arrived, we cancelled our reservation by sending an email (actually several polite emails) to the hotel. We did not get any replies on our about 10 mails in all. We also tried to contact Lotus by phone several times, but there were problems with the line. The case is, that if you do not cancel your reservation in time, you will be charged for the first night. So - of course - we wanted a reply from Lotus.

To check if there were computer related problems in our chain of unanswered cancellation emaiIs, we sent an email (in the middle of it all) with a booking request from another email address of ours. There were almost instant reply from Lotus hotel. We sent another email from our second mail address to answer the Lotus-email. Again there was instant reply from Lotus!?? We later sent at cancellation email from this our second email address - and strange enough - again no answer.

Obviously it was not technical problems that prevented them from repying. But what was it then!?

Good question - we blocked our visa card and got a new one.

In the near future we go to Egypt and will of course not book a room at The Lotus Hotel in Luxor. Maybe Lotus it is a fine hotel but their strange silent way of communication surely prevented us from finding out.

Well - it is not nice to have to cancel your vacation, but it's a possibility you have to consider, when you plan. Exept for this little all-in-all harmless Lotus-story everything went perfect for us, and we had problemfree communication with everyone else and all our money back. But in the future we will be very carefull, if we decide use a booking agent with no responsibility again."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of February 2008

Average hotel

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Overall, the Lotus is a pretty average hotel.

The room was spacious, with a great Nile view. Although it had a TV, it didn't have a hair dryer or tea & coffee making facilities which I would expect from a three star hotel.

Unfortunately the hotel is built around a central, covered atrium which goes all the way to the top floor. Coupled with the fact that all the floors are tiled, makes this an extremely noisy hotel.

The staff are ok. As you'll quickly learn, in Egypt friendliness and efficiency come with a price tag attached - baksheesh - so if you tip the staff enough, they'll smile and be helpful. If you don't tip them,
service is minimal and grudging. The chamber maid had a thing for making fantastic sculptures out of towels (her finest work was a large
towel crocodile eating a bottle of sunscreen ). Although this was hugely entertaining, this did mean that the floor was left un mopped.
On reflection, I'd have preferred a clean floor.

Breakfast...Mmm...Well, it's edible and fills a gap...For what it's worth, they will, however, pack you a breakfast box for early starts.

Odessy Travel, who advertise trips in the hotel lobby and are responsible for airport transfers, are slightly expensive but Ahmed, the main tour rep is a good, friendly man who seems genuinely concerned that you have a good time in Egypt. He'll give you his mobile number and is available at all times for advice on everything from how to handle the hassle that all tourists in Luxor face, to what
to do if you're ripped off in shops. Without him, our trip really wouldn't have gone so smoothly.

It's hard to find good food that's been hygienically prepared in Luxor but I thoroughly recommend the New Sunrise restaurant opposite the hotel. The proprietor is a decent, friendly man who loves a good chat. The food is simple but delicious and they'll prepare off menu stuff for you. Highly recommended.

Overall, I'd say, by all means stay here - just don't expect too much."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of January 2008

3 star hotel for 2 star prices

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"The hotel was just awesome - huge rooms, a grand lobby, a great view of the Nile, efficient receptionists, friendly housekeeping (they made a crocodile out of towels), free pick-up from the train station. The breakfast was lousy.... but everything else more than makes up for it."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of January 2008

Liked this hotel!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We stayed at the Lotus Hotel and we were impressed with the room, and the view of the Nile from our room. The rooms were clean, and the quality of the fittings were what you'd expect of a good 3 star (European rated) hotel. Outside, there was a lovely heated pool which overlooked the Nile and plenty of outdoor seating for everyone. Staff spoke good English and there were no issues with communication.

The only thing was the sound insulation wasn't great - there was a large group check-in late one night and it was very noisy as the noise travelled up to our rooms from the lobby area.

Location was reasonable - it was a 15-20 min walk to the Luxor Temple, and there were plenty of shops and restaurants near the hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of January 2008

ups and downs: The Lotus Hotel and Luxor, Egypt

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"(At the time 1USD = 5.52LE. so $55USD = 304LE)
Overall, our stay at the Lotus was fine and completely what we were expecting and looking for based on our budget, needs, and amount of special attention we required from the hotel staff (hardly any). But we did have a few problems that may have simply been personality conflicts. I figure if I write about it then it may save someone else the trouble in the future. Also, for those of you who have already been to Egypt then you may already understand how to get around stuff like this.
The first problem with Lotus hotel is the lack of contact info provided on the internet. I found a few websites hostelz.com and hostelworld.com that would book a room for a charge but I wanted to call the hotel directly and couldn't find a phone number. It wasn't until I actually booked the room with hostelz.com and receieved confirmation that I got the phone and email address. I told Adam at the front desk that they should make a website for the hotel so guests can book directly with them, he agreed and said they were working on it. He also said that it would be much cheaper for them and the guest to book directly with them. We paid $75.00USD/night for a triple room. So for anyone in the same situation here is the contact info: +20 106780267, [email protected]
They did provide free pickup from the Luxor airport if you email the flight info ahead of time. We later found out that this was not the hotel's van, it was a tourist company called Silver Tours. I guess they know that you need to have someone help you with your arrangements while in Luxor so they get you right off the airplane. We were really tired but he wanted us to sit down and talk about excursions right from the get-go. We booked a calesh tour throughout Luxor and sunset felucca ride on the Nile for the next day. It was 384LE for the 3 of us. It was agreed that Mohammed would be our guide on the calesh tour. In the morning, another Mohammed showed up and put us on the calesh and that was it. We really had to explain to Mohammed 2 that Mohammed 1 promised to come with us. He eventually joined us and stayed with us in the market. On the felucca, we were alone with the captain and his little assistant but that was fine. It was so peaceful and highly recommended. The felucca was with Tom and Gerre tours and I had read other good things about that company.
That night we had a lizard running around our room that we had to catch and the front desk had to send someone up. They said it was normal but we were all freaked out. I'm sure they got their kicks out of 3 girls screaming in their pjs! It was pretty funny.
Silver tours arranged for us to go on the hot air balloon sunrise ride and West Bank tour for the next day. We left early (4am) so the hotel had breakfast boxes for us. None of the other tourists had these boxes so we felt pretty cool. The balloon tour was with Horizon tours. Another balloon company was Alaska tours and Sinbad tours. You might check out their prices online to avoid overpaying. We paid 304LE/per person just for the balloon. Some other tourists in our basket had paid slightly more. We paid 400LE/for the 3 of us for an English-speaking guide for our West Bank tour. He met us at 7am where the balloon landed. His name was Mansour. If anyone wants a day trip recommendation in Luxor, that would be it. The balloon was absolutely incredible because you see all the temples and the Valley of the Kings from the sky, then you go down on foot and explore. It was early but perfect. Bring suncreen, hat, water and BUG SPRAY. We couldn't get enough of our OFF! Also bring some granola or protein bars in your bag.
That night we went to the sound and light show at Karnak temple. We didn't end up seeing Karnak during the day and that would have been nice. We were kind of pressed for time so we did Luxor temple during the day and Karnk at night for the show. This was where we had a problem with the hotel. We wanted a taxi to drive us there, wait for us, and then drive us to a restaurant. How much do we pay, we asked Ramse at the front desk. We would think that the hotel would really help their guests and in a sense be an ally because their are so many scams out there with taxi/calesh drivers. Ramse from the Lotus was unfortunately no exception. We paid him 50LE which we knew was too much, but we thought it would be more reputable to go with the hotel's recommendation than some random taxi off the street. We got dropped off, and the driver told us where he would be when the show let out. We had to look for Sinderalla car #64. After the show, and the entire parking lot was emptied out, our driver was nowhere to be found. We walked for about 10 minutes in the dark, desserted area near Karnak temple really ticked that we got scammed. And by our own hotel at that. Finally our driver saw us along side the road and picked us up. We really let him have it and told him we want our money back. We all started feeling sorry for him because he was very apologetic and the guy at the hotel was the one with the money. But all sympathy for the driver left when he dropped us off at the hotel and followed us down the street to our favorite Luxor restaurant, The Lantern. He had the nerve to ask the restaurant for commission because he brought us there. We were very annoyed. The restaurant told him to beat it because they knew he was making it up. After getting back to the hotel I really had to argue with Ramse about what happened and he reluctantly returned the money. That wasn't the last time we had to deal with him and money though.
Our 3rd and last day in Luxor (which is a good amount of time) we got up bright and early and took a calesh over to the Luxor temple. We could totally have walked but we really wanted to get there before the crowds and heat started up. After that we went to the Souk. We bought pillowcases for 25LE, hookah for 50LE, camel saddle stool for 150LE, leather sandals 25LE, and this beautiful terracotta globe light thing for 15LE. Those prices were higher than what they were asking for in Cairo. We doublechecked and of course were kicking ourselves because we could have gotten better deals. So don't pay more than that!!!
Checking out of the hotel was another ordeal. It was 330am and our taxi was waiting for us. We hired him through the agent at the EgytpAir ticket office near the Winter Palace. He was only 30LE for the 3 of us. So we were initially told we could pay by credit card but that morning the machine was "broken". Cash only. We had the cash but wanted to keep it for purchases, not hotel. After explaining to Ramse that if we used the atm to pull out more money, we would have to pay fees and that would increase our hotel expenses. Also, we knew that we had overpaid for the hotel anyway. He said he would take off 10%. So our total would have been 1490LE and we shook on it. When we asked him for a receipt he made a phone call. Whoever was on the line asked to speak to us and told us we now owed 200LE more. Oh, no. I told him we had just finalized everything with Ramse, this was the agreed amount minus the 10% discount because their credit card machine was broken. He was asking for more than the original reservation. There was no way we were going to pay it. We took a picture of us handing the cash to Ramse! He was not happy. I had to tell the man on the other line if wanted more money he'd have to come to hotel and get it, plus bring the police. I hung up on him and we left for the airport in a taxi. So my advice is to avoid dealing with that guy Ramse altogether. He's about 6'3", big stomach and acne scars. The best guy at the hotel is Adam and he works in the morning.
The hotel itself is in a good location on the Nile river. If you exit in the back towards the pool, it is directly on the river. The restaurant that we had read about beforehand is the Lantern. That is directly outside the front of the hotel. Great food and service. Make sure you check on the air conditioner before you get settled. We changed rooms after the lizard incident and the air conditioner in the second room was ice cold comapared to the first room. Also, their rooms do have balconies that overlook the pool/Nile so make sure you ask for one. Breakfast is good but they charge you astronomical amount for water/coffee. And they don't tell you it's extra until you finish. They don't have adapter/converters so bring your own. No hairdryer, bring that too. That's pretty much all you need. The beds are comfy, towels thick, air conditioned, plenty of german tv, beautiful pool, near our fave restaurant Lantern. I would go back but I would be prepared for the stuff I had already dealt with next time."

• Travel date: Sat 27th of October 2007

Fantastic Hotel, The very Best in Luxor

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"My hotel in Cairo booked the Lotus Hotel for me. I was so impressed by the quality that I am going back for another stay. The staff all spoke excellent English, even the Maid that cleaned my room spoke and understood English. The entire staff was considerate and were always willing to help with information, calling a taxi, advise and even a few lessons in Arabic. The Lotus was spotless, everything worked the way it was supposed to. It was clean, quiet and elegant. Simple words can not describe how pleased I was or how perfect this hotel was. I think it is much nicer than the most expensive hotels in Luxor, or even in Cairo. I travel a lot (I am retired) and this is without a doubt the nicest hotel I have used in my 3 trips to Egypt."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of July 2007

Talk about a room with a view!! Spectacular

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"We spent a very enjoyable couple of nights at this hotel! the view from our triple room was second to none and the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff was exceptional. We booked it in Egypt whilst staying on the Red Sea and I have to say it far surpassed our expectations, good food, clean rooms, we also had three children in tow who loved the Nile side pool. would definately return!!! Great value for money"

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of June 2007

Wonderful new hotel on the Nile

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Found this beautiful new hotel as I walked along the Nile. All rooms face the Nile. I was traveling with 2 other women. Each got her own twin bedded room at approx. $32 per night per room, including a delicious breakfast served on the terrace. I will definitely return to this beautiful place!"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of November 2006

Finding roaches

Reviewed Wed 29th of June 2016

"I stayed three nights in the hotel, unfortunately I didn't enjoy as the air conditioner system was changing automatically from cooler to heater and I find roach in bathroom tub beside it was annoying to hear alarm system early in morning for no reasons then they knock your door to change smoke detector at 5:00 am. They have good breakfast but there is no customer service )"

• Travel date: Sat 25th of June 2016

Hotels near Lotus Luxor Hotel

Stayed at Lotus Luxor Hotel? Share your insight.

Lotus Luxor Hotel is also called