Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor

Awameya Road Kings Island, Luxor 85834 Egypt

beware of mosquitoes

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"I simply cannot agree with most of the comments on this hotel. The standard rooms are horrible. The rooms are old fashioned and the bathroom is mustard wallpaper and mustard lino. The baths are dated and leak. Most of the people we spoke to thought the rooms were terrible. We had to upgrade to the Deluxe. I called it Butlins in the nineteen seventies, and 4 women in a group we spoke to called it Cell block H. They could not wait to go home.
The island is rife with mosquitoes and flies. I was bitten over 200 times and I hasten to add I wore repellant and the women above were also bitten. We all ended up having to get the doctor as we were so bad.
The infinity pool is superb.
Do not expect 4 or 5 star hotel it is more like a poor 2 star in the 1970s.
we went on the 2 day Nile crusie which is well worth doing but the boat the Nile Ritz is no Ritz and the food was awful.
Wont be going back to Luxor and would not recommend the Movenpick until it has been upgraded and they learn how to spray the place to kill the insect population. The other hotels regularily sprayed round theirs."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of May 2006

Wonderful

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"I've been here three times, once many years ago, and twice at Christmas in the last two years. A truly wonderful location with great srevice and cheap taxis (tariffs on a sheet provided by hotel). I recommend:

1. Valley of the Kings - by taxi (£6 for five people)
2. Dendera and Abydos - whole day fabulous (£30 for 5 people)
3. Aswan - go by train
4. Overnight by train to Cairo and back overnight by train around £60 from Jolie's Travel (next to Winter Palace) see pyramids at dawn, Sakkara, Bent pyramid, Giza, Museum etc. - a real adventure
5. Kharga Oasis - (£15 each) - truly superb - arrange through Jolie's Travel

and lots more.....

Hotel is an oasis with lots to do, good staff and good food. We started with just 9 of us, this year we're up to 30!"

• Travel date: Fri 19th of May 2006

Paradise on earth!

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Stayed at the Movenpick Luxor resort in Dec 2004 and enjoyed it so much we decided to return the following year. Everyone should visit this resort once in their lifetime!"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of May 2006

Great Resort

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"If youre looking for both a resort to relax and the opportunity to visit the sights, then this is a great place to stay at. The outdoor facilities at the Movenpick are great, expecially the infinity pool! The food is quite good for Egyptian standards, with a good variety and choice everyday.

On the negative side and the thing that brings the hotel from what could be a 5 star to effectively a 4/3 star hotel are the rooms. They are very basic and outdated, certainly not luxurious, although are clean.

If youre not that fussed about room decor, all else is fab and I would recommend it for a stay in Luxor."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of April 2006

Movenpick - crocodile Island

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"We have returned from a week at the Movenpick Luxor. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children aged 12+10 and we had 2 adjacent bungalow rooms. As has been stated in previous reviews, the rooms are somewhat dated and the bathrooms even more so. However, the beds are very comfortable with good quality bedding and the room servicing was very good. The showers are really not up to modern day standards in that there was never much water force, though temperature was consistent.
There are two swimming pools - we just used the newer infinity pool which was lovely though it could be a little on the chilly side, certainly if it was breezy. The other pool near the reception area claims to be adults only, though children did seem to use this too. The hotel was quite busy during our stay, but there was no problem in obtaining sunbeds and there was plenty of shade available.
We were on a bed and breakfast tariff which was just as well as the eating options were limited. The breakfast buffet was fine in that there was plenty of choices. However dinner in the main restaurant was themed buffets - we only tried one which was a Mexican night and the choices were not particularly Mexican and the food was at best lukewarm. It was not that good value at EGP130 per person. We did however enjoy the BBQ night at the infinity pool terrace - this was better food and better value at EGP95. Lunches were OK on the terrace, though the service could be very slow and it would be good if they had some Egyptian options on the menu. The Movenpick ice-cream was delicious though!
On the other evenings, we ate out in Luxor. We used the hotel minibus service and the hotel boat service, both of which were free and ran to the stated timetable. Taxis were also very cheap, and the hotel provides a useful target price to various destinations.
All in all this is a good reasonably priced hotel away from the many hassles that exist in Luxor, but within easy reach of central Luxor. It is a good choice for families - there were many kids there of all ages during our stay, as this was probably during the Easter school holidays in many countries."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of April 2006

OK family hotel

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"I visited Egypt for 11 nights over the easter break staying at 3 different hotels: Movenpick in Luxor, Mena House in Cairo and the Hyatt in Sharm. Will post a review of each hotel.

The Movenpick is an older hotel and it hasn't been updated in some time. the rooms are bungalow style and have a small outdoor sitting area. The size of the room is ok but the bathroom is kinda gross. Quick showers for us. The menu in the hotel was very limited and for the most part the buffet food wasn't to our taste but the price of the food wasn't too bad. The pool water was absolutely freezing so my kids couldn't swim and the place is absolutely overun with flies. Also the service is very slow. I found that to be common to all of Egypt, not just the Movenpick.

I would rate this hotel 3 star at best. The kids club is small and my son said he was bored there and the "spa" is just one room that has no ambiance at all. Also the constant requests for tips gets irritating after a while.

If ever in Egypt again, will skip Luxor. Once you have seen Karnak and the Valley of the Kings, not much else going on and this hotel isn't one I would want to visit again."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of April 2006

BE CAREFUL!!

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"As you will see, most of the people who have writen reviews liked the resort. If however you are used to a four or five star hotel/resort in Asia, YOU WILL BE DISSAPOINTED! This place rates like a 3-star Asian standard.

We were there last week and found the rooms very very old. There was mould on the shower curtains. The TV has nothing worth watching and the radio was stuck to one station playing local stuff that really wasn't our taste. It seems that someone built this place many years ago and doesn't seem to see the need to modernise it or even keep it up to a certain level.

This is a very large resort and if you are stuck at one end (the wrong one) it is quite a walk to get to the restaurant or the pool. We were dissapointed to find out that children were only allowed in the infinity pool and that the other pool was off bounds. What is the use of having a family resort where children are limited to what they can or cannot do? The infinity pool has a sand/pebble boarder so needless to say the pool itself has a lot of it on the bottom. There is hardly any natural shade and the umbrellas are fixed so avoiding the sun can be difficult.

The staff were attentive and as someone suggested I did some "strategic tipping" only to find that the staff actually check what amount you have given them before thanking you. Someone suggested 10% - ok, but 10% of what? If you have half-board you are not really paying for dinner. Do you still give them 10% of the entire meal plus drinks?

We left after the first day and went to the Sofitel in Karnak. Once we go there our holiday really began."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of April 2006

A piece of Paradise

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"I have just returned from this wonderful hotel which must have one of the most beautiful settings I've ever been to (and I'm well travelled and picky!). It has little extras (melon skewers and afternoon tea and cakes by the pool) and fabulous, friendly staff which all adds to the experience. The gardens are beautiful and there is entertainment with a difference i.e. bird watching safari, fishing on the Nile, a zoo and donkey safari for children etc. I loved the fact that it had two pools - one for adults so you could soak up the peace and quiet (although a few children did manage to sneak in now and then!) and a separate infinity pool for children well away from the adult pool. There were no fights over sunbeds and there was plenty of much needed shade. I loved watching the sunset over the Nile with a cocktail in hand! They also have sunset felucca rides and play classical music on Sunset Terrace. I did get up early (0600) and went on the birdwatching safari which was really enjoyable and worth the early start.
The only let down were the rooms, which although functional and have everything you need (air con, fridge, tv) are small, drab and lacking somewhat in refreshing decor. I would upgrade to a deluxe room or suite next time. The breakfast buffets and lunches on the terrace are fine. The evening buffet costs £13 and was pretty average and lukewarm. The A La Carte restaurant is well worth a go with nice food and superb service and doesn't cost that much more than the buffet. The local wines were not to my taste and the imported wines were too expensive.
I also did a 2 night Nile cruise to Aswan visiting temples along the way whilst I was there which was different and surprisingly enjoyable. I also visited West Bank, Karnak, Luxor Temple and Luxor Museum. I would probably give Luxor Tenple a miss, but the rest need to be done if only to tick the box. There is plenty of security around, but I never felt worried. I will definitely be going back to the Movenpick again - it is brilliant for couples or families alike and has something for everyone. Moreover, the staff make it feel like home. Brilliant!"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of April 2006

A wonderful experience

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful week staying at the Movenpick Jolie Ville. We had been recommended to stay there by my sister-in-law so the hotel had to be to be good to get such a high accolade!
From the moment of our arrival to departure I cannot fault the genuine friendliness of the staff, the quality of the food, the standard and cleanliness of both the hotel, grounds and our room. I could go on but suffice to say I shall be returning. If you are a first time visitor to Luxor then i would genuinely urge you to consider this hotel. The hotel has an excellent free bus and water taxi service to take you into Luxor and bring you back. A taxi from the airport to the hotel is only 35 LE (£3.50) which includes the tip.
During the week we stayed we visited the sound and light show at Karnak Temple which was excellent. We also did a guided trip to the Valley of the Kings & Queens, Artisans and Alabaster factory. Our guide was excellent and as we were the only 2 on the trip we got a really in depth tour. The trip concluded with a buffet lunch at the Sonesta Hotel which whilst good was spoilt by the head waiter who was somewhat rude.
Highlight of the week was the hot air balloon trip we did with Hod Hod Soliman balloons. I have seen various reports regarding hot air balloon trips from Luxor but my experience with Hod Hod was exceptional. We paid £135 for the two of us and I know some will say we paid over the top but I don't care because it was worth it. The pilot was excellent and anyone wearing a Blue Peter badge is alright by me. In all seriousness we were well looked after and to fly at sunrise and see the Valleys and the Temple of "Hot Chicken Soup" (Hatshepsut)was incredible.
The downside of the visit to Luxor was the constant haranguing/stalking by the Caleche (horse and carriage)drivers wanting to "take you to the special Egyptian market that was only on today".
At no time did we feel unsafe during the visit even when walking through the backstreets of the town.
In short fellow travellers the Movenpick is an ideal place to stay and from the other hotels we visited whilst there, the Sonesta, Winter Palace and New Winter Palace the Movenpick cuts it as the best and I cannot recommend it enough.
We will definitely return there."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of April 2006

Loved Movenpick!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"What a marvelous experience! The MOvenpick provided us with early check in, a ample breakfast buffet every morning and a fantastic relaxing atmosphere. They had activities planned daily, almost like a cruise ship, and an incredible staff. Unlike the city of Luxor where we were constantly being asked for money, we were never bothered or pressured at the Movenpick. I highly recommend their Fellah's tent experience. Complete with a felucca ride, belly dancing, camel rides and hasheesh smoking. Amazing! Their pools are both perfect and made for some amazing photos! The restaurants were top notch, even providing hamburgers for those less adventurous."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of April 2006

Fabulous

Reviewed Fri 6th of July 2012

"We stayed 1 night after a Nile Cruise and wished we would have stayed longer. What a fantastic resort. Everything about the resort is 5+ stars. The accommodations were beautiful, the grounds and pools spectacular and the staff so friendly and helpful. "

• Travel date: Fri 6th of July 2012

idyllic holiday

Reviewed Mon 20th of February 2012

"Having read some of the reviews about this hotel on your website i cannot beleive that there are people out there who can in all honesty rubbish this wonderful island of escape. We first visited the island in 2008 and after only 2 days knew that we would have to come back! and come back we did in 2011 after the refurbishments had begun all i can say is wow!! the rooms have been updated the new reception area is fantastic and the new buildings are stunning. The staff were all as helpful as ever attentive not overbearing we only had to walk into the Kings bar and our drinks were brought straight over to us, gin and tonics after our lovely evening meals both in the buffet restaurant and in the beautiful La Fleur the food is excellent and chefs cooked our breakfasts to order absolutely nothing is too much trouble for all the staff. The pool guys knew exactly our preferred spot by the infinity pool and as soon as the caught a glimpse of us walking towards the pool the beds were pulled into "our space" and had the towels ready and waiting, the Eqyptian people have had a rough time of things this last year and negative feedback from customers complaining about being woken at 5am by "religion" on loudspeakers should think "when in Rome!!??" If you don't like different cultures/religions then don't go to a country where religion plays a big part in everyday life! Live and let live go and enjoy yourselves chalk up any differences to thats life we spoke to people who had been returning to this gem of a hotel for years many having made more than 20 or more visits so obviously they must be doing something right we can't wait to go back again this year along with people who had told us about this wonderful away from it all hotel"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of February 2012

Hotels near Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor

Stayed at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor

• mary.l. by mary.l.

"Don't leave the resort for a few days "

• frank by frank

"warning building site!!! "

• derbyshirebradders by derbyshirebradders

"Snobs in Luxor was very good - better than the hotel by a mile and a sight cheaper "

• majdf by majdf

"Definately the Jewel of the Nile - Cannot recommend enough!!! "

• joan2512 by joan2512

"all the temples and the denderah day cruise "

Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor is also called