Hotel Sheherazade

Good
Good

Simply perfect

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Don't be put off by the West Bank location, this is a real gem of a hotel. A great find. The rooms are simple but comfortable and spotlessly clean. The staff and owners are committed to the place; helpful and friendly. It's a cliche I know but it really does feel like an oasis in the mayhem of Luxor. The rooms open up onto a courtyard of flowers that creates a sense of space in what is quite a compact area. The restaurant serves good, nourishing Egyptian food.

As with all West Bank hotels, the road trip to Luxor is a bit of a way, but the public ferry to Luxor is just five minutes walk away and the trip adds another five minutes. All this is well worth it, since the West Bank is quieter and much less hassle than the main town. The directions from the ferry on the hotel website could be improved a bit. The simple direction is to get off the ferry and head for the Mosque tower (a trudge along some gravel to the main road and then a very small fork to the left). When the mosque is on your left shoulder follow the road around the bend and keep going to the end of the street. The entrance is on your left hand side. If your walk from the ferry is taking more than five minutes you've gone too far."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of April 2009

Amazing value for excellent hotel

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Amazing value for excellent hotel on West Bank. Friendly helpful English speaking staff always available. Room comfortable and airy, ensuite, with sitting area outside and all super clean. Very handy for tombs and temples on West Bank and 15 minutes by ferry (EGP £1) and taxi (cheap) from all points of interest on East Bank. Restaurant very good value too. Location quiet, away from all that East Bank hassle, Trips available at economic rates but very soft sell. Spacious garden (could use some extra shady spots).
Local colour all around. Any minor issues attended to straight away. No dislkes."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of March 2009

Adventurous and great architecture

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"Overall this was a great place to stay while in Luxor. Although the location is a little difficult to find the first time, this is a young up-start hotel that is trying to get off the ground...and they're doing a great job! The service was top-notch, the value is unbeatable, and the nightly BBQ and beer there is great. The owner supervised our entire stay, scheduled a night boat cruise on the Nile, a horse outing, and truly cared about our experience. It has great Egyptian architecture and a great courtyard as well. If you're looking for the 5-star resort with a pool and a thousand tourists, this isn't the place! But if you want a very cheap, great place to stay in Luxor, and don't mind trekking a little, then this is your place! Highly recommended for younger people."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of March 2009

My Stay at Hotel Sheherazade

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"I spent a week at Hotel Sheherazade last month and it certainly exceeded my expectations. I was a little unsure about staying on the West Bank but now wouldn’t stay anywhere else in Luxor. The big 5 star hotels just cant offer what a small boutique hotel like this did. The architecture is beautiful, the extensive gardens are lovely, especially at night when you can dine alfresco by firelight, but the main difference is you are made to feel that the hotel is your home by the management and friendly staff. The owner Mohamed and the English Manager Christine made me feel completely at home, and Mohamed organized some great sightseeing for me (cutting out a lot of hassle), including a 3 day trip into the desert, one of the highlights of my holiday. Christine organizes regular social evenings for the people who live in Luxor. These include Poetry Evenings, Charades, Music Nights, and it happened to be a Quiz Night while I was there. I was introduced to the locals, both English and Egyptian, at the Quiz Night. The food is fantastic and one night was a party night, with an Open Buffet (great value for money) with a local live Egyptian band, and the whole hotel up dancing. You just could not see real Egyptian life like this staying in a 5 star hotel on the other side of the Nile."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of February 2009

Fantastic New Years Eve Party

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"On a recent trip to Luxor West Bank, staying at a local villa, I needed to book a hotel for 2 nights both before and after the villa stay. I originally selected the Sheherazade as the architecture was immediately striking in the pictures on the website. I was not disappointed by this , it's beautiful, with a lot of thought & attention to detail throughout the hotel & rooms. I was however surprised by the ease & effort of the owners & manager to make me feel welcome within their hotel. The staff are polite, courteous & helpful. I had the good fortune to be invited to the hotel for the New Years Party and booked an additional night so that we could stay after the party. It was a fantastic party, excellent food, amazing bands & singers, whirling dervish, belly dancers, stick dancing & , fireworks and of course lots of dancing by the partygoers - the owners & manager went to great lengths to make sure everybody had a good time & a great night. The hotel is relatively new and has potential to be even better as it becomes more established. It's warm & welcoming nd would always be my west bank hotel of choice."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of February 2009

Loved everything about it. Best place to stay.

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"By far, one of the best hotels we stayed at. Everything from the location (on the west bank, close to many sites and much calmer and charming) the architecture, the service made our stay in Luxor and at the Sheherazade one of the most magical of our whole trip. When we booked we hadn't read any critics and so we didn't know what to expect. It didn't take long for us to completely fall in love with the place and the people.
The colored entrance at the end of a little street gave ways to a backward where pathways take you either to the garden or the hotel and its restaurant. The rooms are beautiful (ours had a dome style ceiling, A/C, bathtub, comfortable beds.) The view from the rooftop is breathtaking. (it became my friend’s favorite spot.) Christine and Mohammed, the owners, made us feel at home right away and I would even say like part of the family. You can see that a lot of care was put into this project. They built it themselves and the result is a place of peace and comfort. Our room was always clean (and I mean spotless clean), the food excellent. The whole staff were very helpful and fun. That to me matters. I’ve stayed in bigger resorts, five stars and it doesn’t come close to the service we had there. Because they were always available for us, (even helped us plan last minute activities) there's a personnal touch to everything and you can see that they do not do it for the money, they love their city and especially their hotel, this was their dream and they share it with you. If I ever go back to Luxor, theres no doubt in my mind that the Sheherazade is where I would stay."

• Travel date: Sat 31st of January 2009

A peaceful retreat

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"My wife and I enjoyed a week leisurely exploring the sites and sights around Luxor and by great fortune based ourselves at The Hotel Sheherazade set in the village of Gezira on the left bank of the Nile. Situated on a narrow lane amongst the homes of the local people, this new hotel gave ready access to the ferry across to Luxor town as well as to the tombs and temples on the west side of the river, most of which were accessible to us by bike. We found the hotel very comfortable, clean and well serviced and able to provide everything we wanted by courtesy of the manager Christine and the polite and attentive staff. The design of the hotel is quite striking and has enormous potential with an enormous garden area leading down to the water.
Entering the room everyday after it had been cleaned was always a surprise as the staff created a 'towel sculpture' every day (see pics!)
As we stayed a week we fast became friendly with the people in the street the hotel was in.What with my limited Arabic and lots of sweets for the children we soon felt right at home!"

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of December 2008

Relaxing hotel

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"I did not stay at this hotel, but I visited it several times over the course of my holiday in the evenings.
The staff were very eager to please, nothing was too much trouble. A very relaxed atmosphere. I only wish that I had discovered this venue sooner.
Once a fortnight, parties are put on with different themes. They attract both the locals and expat community. Themes range from Halloween to fancy dress to "Give us a clue" to a bonfire night!
Meals and drinks are served in the gardens with a good choice of menu.
To experience something that is local and clean, but without any hassle, this hotels hits the mark."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of November 2008

Rooms for Improvement

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"The Sheherazade is basic but good (low) price makes that bareable but dont think that the rooms are cool as it was stifling hot with no air conditioners in the summer when they had just reopened. Food needs attention and was fairly poor for us. Location is out of the way and miles from Luxor itself but still it has a charm about it. I woldnt recommend the Sheherazade but I may consider it again if cash is tight. Basic with room for improvement but dont right it off entirely."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of October 2008

Lovely stay on the West Bank

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Having decided to look for a West Bank hotel, I eventually found Sheherazade. I decided to book it for it's arabesque styling.

On arrival, I received a warm welcome from the owner Mohamed, and his small, friendly staff. Located in the village of Gezira, this is an intimate property with proximity to the local community, but privacy at the end of a hard day's touring.

Meals are taken ouside next to the courtyard, on a covered terrace. This is a pleasant way to spend an hour or two, listening to the sound of (relative) silence - compared to the main Luxor town on the East Bank. You might also meet the occasional local here or some ex-pat Brits, a few of whom are friendly with Mohamed and the English manager, Christine. Overall, the atmosphere is extremely relaxed, friendly and non-pushy.

The rooms are very clean and very well air-conditioned, the latter is essential in high summer when you've just cycled to the Valley Of The Kings and back! Though your preferred mode of sightseeing transport is for you to decide!

As a base for seeing Luxor and the Theban necropolis, Sheherazade is very well located, You can hire bikes close to the hotel (although these are generally of the old-fashioned single-gear type), or take one of the taxis or covered pick-ups which congregate close to the ferry dock. For Luxor itself, you can take the local ferry (very cheap), or a motorboat (quite cheap). In summary, you are within 15 mins by taxi to most of the West bank sites, about the same by foot then by river to Luxor town. The hotel offers tour and stay packages, but I can't offer a review of these.

If you want to do Luxor differently, stay at the Sheherazade and see Egyptian life at first hand! Their website address is below:

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of August 2008

Hotels near Hotel Sheherazade

Stayed at Hotel Sheherazade? Share your insight.

Hotel Sheherazade is also called