Gaddis Hotel Suites and Apartments

We checked in on 18/12 for 7 nights. The...

Reviewed Thu 4th of January 2007

"We checked in on 18/12 for 7 nights. The first thing we noticed that the toilet was broken.

The room was very basic and had some dated facilities. The breakfast was horrible and not much variety.

I wouldn't recommend lunch or dinner as you will most likely get upset stomachs.

The massage was terrible in a scruffy cornered area. This definitely was not a 3 star rating. You decide the rest."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of January 2007

NOT Recommended

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"Several reasons why the property is not recommended :

1. Hot water in the bathroom : flows at 1 litre per hour :-). That too, after you've kept the shower running for 30 minutes. Happened three nights in a row, despite complaints to the management.

2. Poor tour management : Too expensive and poor quality of guides. They even asked us to pay LE 50 additonal to give my 5 year old son a seat in the van.

3. Bad restaurant : Limited menu. No Egyptian food served.

Cheers"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of January 2007

Not recommended

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We had a room for the day at the Gaddis prior to our evening flight to Sharm. Let's just say that we were very thankful not to have to spend the night there. This is a dark, dank, nasty hotel that leaves a lot to be desired. 1* at best."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of December 2006

WTF?

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"My fiance and I were doing a grand tour of Egypt. He's Egyptian and I'm Canadian so we knew that there would be rules about hotel stays, we would have to book seperate rooms, and we were fine with that.

We booked Gaddis by phone, weeks before we went to Luxor. When we got to the hotel, we were told we couldn't stay there because he is male and I am female and he is Egyptian and I am a foreigner, even though we did book two rooms. I had problems too because I knew that the man behind the desk could speak English, but because my fiance speaks Arabic the receptionists would not speak English. I asked to speak to the General Manager as it was his decision that we were not 'allowed' to stay there. I told him that we had a misunderstanding as we booked two rooms not one. He said that it's the owners policy that mixed couples don't stay as they had an 'incident' with a tour guide and a tourist. So, I asked where we were supposed to stay, and he called around to some hotels and found us one, which helped destress the situation a little (although before this happened my fiance told him that I would be writing reviews on all the hotels we dealt with, so perhaps that scared him). Plus, after all this, he proceeded to tell us that the hotel was fully booked anyway (do they not know the meaning of reservation?).

So, anyway we went to The Royal House, and stayed there with no problems."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of December 2006

not for sun worshippers

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"The Gaddis is a clean hotel but leaves a lot to be desired. As it was July there were only about 7 people staying there. Therefore the meals went from bad to worse. Breakfast was a plate of salad & cheese & bread & optional omelette. The milk looked like cottage cheese & there was no orange juice. I went to the shop next door to buy some & was then offered ice to put in it! No choice for evening meal . Just a plate of whatever they had cooked was given to you. I wonder if I could have taken my own vodka to the bar! (Which was closed on my arrival at 9pm as the bar man was having a holiday).
Air con was a god send & worked well. No way could anyone bear the Egyptian heat without it. Comfy bed. Adequate wardrobe space. View of the Nile was a speck of the river through a lot of building works. Hardly what anyone could call an actual “VIEW”.
The Gaddis is located on a busy main road with constant taxis, buses & horse drawn carriages. The roads are an accident waiting to happen. The cars & buses constantly sound their horns to alert the vehicle in front that they are there. This is audible from all parts of the hotel for most of the day & well into the early hours.
If you are a keen sunbather then THIS IS NOT the hotel for you. Ten people would fill the tiny swimming pool that is always in the shade. Not well planned.
To be honest I would not return. I was appalled when knowing the hotel had only 5 other residents I was expected to pay £6.00 for keeping the room an extra 4 hours. When I paid the receptionist with 6 pound coins she asked me for a 5 pound note instead of coins. I explained that I did not have one to which she asked me for another pound coin as when she exchanged them for Egyptian currency she would not get as much exchange rate as if she had a note. My problem?
Spend an extra bit of cash & go to the Isis. Fantastic."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of July 2006

Not for those who like sunbathing sometimes

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"The Gaddis is a clean, well kept and well run hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The downsides are that it on a fairly busy road and you can always hear the roar of traffic, and also the pool and pool area is permanently in the shade. On the days we werent sightseeing and wanted to lie in the sun, we went to the very nice pool at the Club Med which was only 5 minutes away. You pay 112 Egyptian Pounds for 2 people, which includes beach towel use and a 90 pound tab to spend during the day on food and drinks in their bar. At the end of the day when you leave, they refund 12 pounds. A very good deal."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of January 2006