Gaddis Hotel Suites and Apartments

Khalid Ibn el Walid Street, Luxor Egypt

Good

Great value for money hotel

Good

"Having recently stayed for two weeks at the Gaddis Hotel I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were very friendly yet professional and the hotel was kept spotless. The rooms are basic but cleaned every day (including fresh bedding and towels) by a rather eccentric but charming man. Hot water is always available and the shower is quite powerful! The hotel restaurant doesn't offer a particularly good menu but within the premises is the infamous John and John's restaurant which has anything you could want to eat, even down to a top Sunday lunch. During the time I stayed I found that the sun only covered the sun terrace not the actual pool area but that I didn't find that to be a problem as it was really hot! There is no hotel entertainment but you can hop in a taxi to one of the hotels that do offer it. All in all, well worth the money!"

• Travel date: Mon 20th of October 2008

hotel gaddis pros and cons

Good

"we all look for different things when booking our holidays, I read all the reviews like you are doing now. I always think about the time I will spend in a hotel and whats important to me. Important to me is the country Im visiting, culture, area, weather etc, secondry is the hotel, what I want is something clean and safe, this is not the case for everyone. The hotel Gaddis is not the biggest or the flashiest hotel, it is very clean, no bugs but it is a little dated, the aircon worked great, the linen clean and the service great, the man that came to clean the room everyday was fab all our towels were arranged daily in different local shapes such as pyramids, scarabs, cobras etc. The downside was the variation on the restaurant menu, the food quality was good but the choice is poor, but for £5 you could use one of the other restaurants inside which had a larger choice, We found the staff to be accomodating it really does depend on the attitude you go with. The review we read said the swimming pool is always in the shade, this is not true as by lunchtime its full sun until teatime. The location of the hotel is spot on with everything you need on the doorstep. One other small downside is that the hotel is right next to a mosque which has loud speakers attached and when praying starts which is 5 times a day it can be very loud, whats wrong with that you might say, it starts at approx 5am. In a nutshell, if you are not worried about decor and early morning calls have a great time."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of August 2008

great hotel

"family of four,two adults and two kids aged 11 and 9,we came thru to luxor from two weeks holiday in hurghada for two night stay in luxor at the gaddis hotel.i booked it thru this website for £29.00 for two nights bed and breakfast.yes £29.00 for the family of four.
i had been to luxor before and wanted to show it off to my family,the usual sights,temples and tombs etc.and i thought the gaddis would be a good base.
how right i was.check in quick and easy.we were shown to a two bedroom family room with good aircon and a balcony overlooking the pool.the restaurant and bar were on the poolside.restaurant was the two johns,an english run restaurant serving traditional english dishes and also international dishes.very good value and very tasty,especially after nearly two weeks of hotel all inclusive food.we were up and out for 7 am.and did not use the breakfast,so as to miss the heat of the day.back at lunchtime and into the restaurant for a cold coke and a well earned lunch.the pool was very inviting after the heat of the trips.it didnt shade over till late afternooon,by which time you were glad of the shade.
we had our evening meal in the restaurant on the second night,i had the steak and pepper sauce,truly mouthwatering,and my wife had a chicken wrap,she was happy with this also..
this is a very good value hotel,ideal for discovering luxor and then relaxing and chilling,and of course enjoying the restaurant.,with kfc and pizza hut across the road for the kids.
all in all a great hotel remarkable value for the price paid.harry"

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of July 2008

You get what you pay for - Great

Good

"This hotel is deceiving from the front because it is directly opposite the Isis Hotel. You get what you pay for here, a clean room with all amenities, good food, friendly staff and the cleaner does lovely decorations with the towels every day. The only thing is the pool is in the shade so we used the hotel across the road pools. Funnily enough a lot of people at the Isis had food poisoning but we did not. So there. I would definitely stay there again !!"

• Travel date: Mon 15th of October 2007

Perfectly acceptable hotel

Good

"I had already booked the Gaddis before I read the other reviews on this site - so I checked in with some worries. However once I arrived I was very pleasantly surprised.

My room on 2nd floor was clean and comfortable - it had more than I expected for the price. The eccentric 2nd floor room cleaner was marvellous - everyday he arranged the towels into the shapes of swans, snakes and other creatures on the bed - you never knew what would be waiting for you next.

I found there to be an abundant supply of hot water at all times of the day and night - and the shower was very good.

I agree that the pool area suffers from a lack of sunlight for most of the day, but there is a sun-deck on the roof with comfortable sunbeds and fresh towels laid out daily.

I didn't eat at the hotel much, but the food I did have was of good quality and was nicely presented by helpful and friendly waiters.

The reception staff were always helpful and were able to assist with all my requests for information - and to extend my checkout time on the last day etc.

Overall I would say that the Gaddis offers very good value for money and I would be happy to stay there again."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of March 2007

NOT Recommended

"Several reasons why the property is not recommended :

1. Hot water in the bathroom : flows at 1 litre per hour :-). That too, after you've kept the shower running for 30 minutes. Happened three nights in a row, despite complaints to the management.

2. Poor tour management : Too expensive and poor quality of guides. They even asked us to pay LE 50 additonal to give my 5 year old son a seat in the van.

3. Bad restaurant : Limited menu. No Egyptian food served.

Cheers"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of January 2007

Not recommended

"We had a room for the day at the Gaddis prior to our evening flight to Sharm. Let's just say that we were very thankful not to have to spend the night there. This is a dark, dank, nasty hotel that leaves a lot to be desired. 1* at best."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of December 2006

WTF?

"My fiance and I were doing a grand tour of Egypt. He's Egyptian and I'm Canadian so we knew that there would be rules about hotel stays, we would have to book seperate rooms, and we were fine with that.

We booked Gaddis by phone, weeks before we went to Luxor. When we got to the hotel, we were told we couldn't stay there because he is male and I am female and he is Egyptian and I am a foreigner, even though we did book two rooms. I had problems too because I knew that the man behind the desk could speak English, but because my fiance speaks Arabic the receptionists would not speak English. I asked to speak to the General Manager as it was his decision that we were not 'allowed' to stay there. I told him that we had a misunderstanding as we booked two rooms not one. He said that it's the owners policy that mixed couples don't stay as they had an 'incident' with a tour guide and a tourist. So, I asked where we were supposed to stay, and he called around to some hotels and found us one, which helped destress the situation a little (although before this happened my fiance told him that I would be writing reviews on all the hotels we dealt with, so perhaps that scared him). Plus, after all this, he proceeded to tell us that the hotel was fully booked anyway (do they not know the meaning of reservation?).

So, anyway we went to The Royal House, and stayed there with no problems."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of December 2006

not for sun worshippers

"The Gaddis is a clean hotel but leaves a lot to be desired. As it was July there were only about 7 people staying there. Therefore the meals went from bad to worse. Breakfast was a plate of salad & cheese & bread & optional omelette. The milk looked like cottage cheese & there was no orange juice. I went to the shop next door to buy some & was then offered ice to put in it! No choice for evening meal . Just a plate of whatever they had cooked was given to you. I wonder if I could have taken my own vodka to the bar! (Which was closed on my arrival at 9pm as the bar man was having a holiday).
Air con was a god send & worked well. No way could anyone bear the Egyptian heat without it. Comfy bed. Adequate wardrobe space. View of the Nile was a speck of the river through a lot of building works. Hardly what anyone could call an actual “VIEW”.
The Gaddis is located on a busy main road with constant taxis, buses & horse drawn carriages. The roads are an accident waiting to happen. The cars & buses constantly sound their horns to alert the vehicle in front that they are there. This is audible from all parts of the hotel for most of the day & well into the early hours.
If you are a keen sunbather then THIS IS NOT the hotel for you. Ten people would fill the tiny swimming pool that is always in the shade. Not well planned.
To be honest I would not return. I was appalled when knowing the hotel had only 5 other residents I was expected to pay £6.00 for keeping the room an extra 4 hours. When I paid the receptionist with 6 pound coins she asked me for a 5 pound note instead of coins. I explained that I did not have one to which she asked me for another pound coin as when she exchanged them for Egyptian currency she would not get as much exchange rate as if she had a note. My problem?
Spend an extra bit of cash & go to the Isis. Fantastic."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of July 2006

Not for those who like sunbathing sometimes

"The Gaddis is a clean, well kept and well run hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The downsides are that it on a fairly busy road and you can always hear the roar of traffic, and also the pool and pool area is permanently in the shade. On the days we werent sightseeing and wanted to lie in the sun, we went to the very nice pool at the Club Med which was only 5 minutes away. You pay 112 Egyptian Pounds for 2 people, which includes beach towel use and a 90 pound tab to spend during the day on food and drinks in their bar. At the end of the day when you leave, they refund 12 pounds. A very good deal."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of January 2006

gaddis hotel

"I booked 2 weeks at the gaddis hotel and stayed there 1 night only that speaks for itself my advice pay the extra for a 5 star it will make your holiday more enjoyable "

• Travel date: Fri 7th of June 2013

WARNING!!!!!!! DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL!!!!!

"A group of ladies decided to take a winter holiday in Luxor, Egypt. We decided to stay at Gaddis Hotel after reading the reviews in August. In December, which was closer to our departure date, I decided to reread the reviews and they were all ‘HORRIFIC!’ To my dismay I decided to ignore the reviews because that could have been their own personal experience and besides it was too late. On first inspection of the Gaddis Hotel the reception staff where quite rude. When we went to our room it was dirty! It smelled like mold and cigarettes and the bathroom was disgusting. We had to shower in sandals because we were afraid we might catch something. At 4am we were awoken by the call of prayer which happened to be our next door neighbor. 24hrs in we ordered room service and the Bar Captain brought our food to our room where he sat on our bed and made sexual references to each one of us. We then talked to the General Manager where he promised to fire him for his inappropriate behavior. Two hours later we were meeting with our local Travel Agent in the lobby and saw the Bar Captain in the lobby talking to guest. This is when our experience turned into ‘HELL’. We requested to leave the hotel, they disconnected our room phone so we couldn’t receive or make calls, told our travel agent and police we were not in our room and gave them the wrong room number, they wouldn’t allow us to call the police, wouldn’t call our travel agent, kept making excuses for the phone line being down, promised to move us to another hotel but because we didn’t sign a statement stating that, we would not tell Expedia of our horrific experience, the Hotel Manager made us walk three blocks to the other hotel, during this time calling that hotel and telling him to make us pay cash. The Gaddis Hotel Manager and Front Desk Team told the Gaddis Hotel Security to follow me as I went into the streets searching for someone to help me, while he told the locals not too. Finally close to midnight my personal cellular phone finally worked and I was able to text my local Travel Agent and he came out to escort us to the police station. After writing up a report they put us in wonderful hotel, St. Joesph’s Hotel. Our 7 day holiday turned into a 5 day survival retreat because you go out into the streets or markets and are harassed, lied to and disrespected. We caught a horse and buggy and agreed upon 5 Egyptian Pounds and once it was over an argument escalated because he wanted 5 euro. When I tried to give him what we agreed on I was called the ‘B’ word, was told ‘F’ my country and Mother and had 5 men surrounding us demanding his money. Overall Egypt was a growing experience. Women have no rights what so ever and the Egyptian men do not respect them at all. Every time we voiced our opinion we were told to ‘BE QUIET!’ If it wasn’t for Elegant Voyage and the team of people they had to help us out we would have been left hopeless.
Expedia did not help us at all! They over charged for the events we brought such as visiting the Temples and Valley of the Kings and Queens ect. When I spoke with them they wanted more money, I will never EVER use this site again because if it wasn’t for their recommendation of this particular Hotel our Winter Holiday might have been more doable. I would personally like to Thank, ELEGANT VOYAGE, an Egyptian owned company because without them and their dedicated staff my trip would have been more disastrous!

• Travel date: Sat 29th of December 2012

Hotels near Gaddis Hotel Suites and Apartments

Stayed at Gaddis Hotel Suites and Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Gaddis Hotel Suites and Apartments

• Queen of Shebah by Queen of Shebah

"Luxor and the Nile are amazing places but hotel, what can I say - Keep away "

• Christina C by Christina C

"If you need anything just ask Hany the manager . "

• Sunseeker58 by Sunseeker58

"ask and the friendly staff will do as much as they can to provide "

• philr by philr

"Johns restuarant hotel geddis, Karnak temple sound & light show, Nile cruise to Dendra "

• Sandie C by Sandie C

"Yes, we plan to return in the summer. "

• Sandie C by Sandie C

"Deane's Cafe on one of the nearby side streets was a good place to eat English Food. "

Gaddis Hotel Suites and Apartments is also called