El Fayrouz

Gezira el Bairat, Luxor Egypt

Good

Great location. Beautiful garden.

"The El Fayrouz was the perfect place to begin our trip to Egypt. The rooms were spacious, nicely appointed and very clean. The garden was lovely and a wonderful place to relax in the afternoons. And the breakfast was definitely far above average! (The best we had during our entire trip to Egypt.)

The hotel is about a five minute walk from the ferry dock. And taking the public ferry back and forth across the Nile each day became a regular (and very enjoyable) activity for us. This is definitely the "right" side of the bank to stay on - away from the hustle and bustle of the large tourist hotels.

The hotel assisted us in arranging a taxi for the day to tour the sites for reasonable rates.

Overall the El Fayrouz was a great place to stay and we were sorry when it came time to leave its peace and tranquility. We will definitely be back."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of November 2008

Cute and reasonabley priced hotel, close to ancient sites - stunning!

"El Fayrouz is a small, cute hotel on the West bank of Luxor, so easy access to all the ancient sites.

Less than 5 minutes walk from the ferry stop (which goes over to the east bank) and the ferries runs very regularly. Rooms were beautiful, comfortable and each have their own hot water tank so no worries about other guests using up the water! All rooms have a fan and most have air-con too. The roof terrace was lovely, peaceful and with stunning views over to the main town of Luxor, the Nile valley and the desert mountains.

Breakfast was included and was different each day, but could be pudding, or selmolina, or pancakes plus fruit, bread, tea, etc. All food is served in the garden, which is a tranquil retreat from site seeing and the desert heat. There is shade and fans to keep you cool, and the restaurant is open all day. The food was really tasty and we ended up eating most of our meals here, as the food and service was so good.

The staff were beyond excellent, nothing was too much trouble and they were always happy to chat. Any minor problems or queries we had would be solved instantly, and with a smile! The hotel can also arrange taxis and trips if you so wish, although we found these slightly more expensive than if we did things independently, but still good value.

Only one word of warning, and why I have given this 4 stars instead of 5, is the male owner of the hotel. For most of our stay, he was pleasant and helpful, and seemed to have a real concern that we were enjoying our stay. However, on one occasion he had been drinking (unusual for a muslim in Egpyt) and the situation was uncomfortable. While I would not let this put anyone off coming here, I feel I should give a full and balanced view. It is really is a lovely hotel, and I would come here again despite the incident."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of November 2008

Great hotel!

"Nice quiet clean rooms, best garden, awesomest food, serve beer (at a good price), owner and staff are super helpful at the hotel and arranging trips (they'll pack you egg sandwiches, mmm). You eat bananas under the tree they grew on, get pudding for breakfast, and be sure to order the combo Egyptian appetizer platter (feeds 4 easily!). Rooftop lounging areas with panoramic views of the desert and the Nile. Very easy to walk to from the train station, 24 hour ferry to the East bank, and right in the middle of a very pleasant town. The owner is especially friendly, he even gave us a ride back to the hotel when he saw us walking down the road. Great value for your money."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of October 2008

EL Fayrouz hotel in Luxor

"In December 2007/January 2008 I spent nearly one month in Luxor and most of the time in El Fayrouz hotel. I was delighted by the hotel itself, the garden, the kindness of the staff (all boys), the cooking was excellent. I stayed long in Luxor and I had the opportunity to meet so many people even living there, who enjoy the cooking. You can enjoy reading or a rest in the garden without being hassled. Because I caught a cold I travelled less than I thought, and the hotel was fully booked for certain dates. Susan did everything to find me a suitable room in another near hotel. All my things were moved too easily. The bill was very reasonable and in complete trust. It was in winter and I also enjoyed fire in the garden. If you ask, you get advices but if you don't ask, you're never hassled to use the hotel commodities and trips. You feel completely free. I am going back 2 weeks in May and I'll keep you posted on El Fayrouz hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of March 2008

Beautiful rooms and garden

"Good points:
This hotel is beautifully presented with the more expensive rooms having large domed ceilings (which somehow keep the room very cool) and little private balconies.

Beautiful gardens where you can relax under the shade of palm and banana trees, admire the flowers and listen to lots of birds. They also serve food and drink (if you want it, but don't hassle you to buy anything).

It's on the West Bank which is considerably quieter and more relaxed than the Luxor side of the river.

It's only a 5 minute walk from the ferry terminal.

Friendly staff.

Includes good breakfast of jam, bread, pancakes, tea and nescafe.

Cost: very cheap for the quality, 120-150 EGP (per room)

The not so good:

Dinner is definitely not the best in Luxor, but it's quite edible if you really want to stay and eat in the garden.

No fridge in the room.

When we stayed here there were several weddings nearby which were incredibly loud until 3-4 in the morning. So I recommend checking with the management before you come to see if there are any weddings or parties planned nearby. Bring some earplugs just in case."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of March 2008

Wonderful hotel

"My sister and I stayed at El Fayrouz in December 2007. At LE 130 for the room, it can be classed as "budget", but it definitely doesn't feel like a budget hotel. You get way more than what you're paying for!

We got put into a triple room – spacious, simple and clean. The extra blankets (which you may need in winter) did seem a little grubby. The shower was stupendous – great pressure and plenty of hot water. They do require that you don't flush your toiletpaper down the toilet, but put it in the bin next to the toilet, which I guess may put some "westerners" off.

Breakfast in the gorgeous garden restaurant is excellent for what you're paying – a basket of bread, some sort of rice pudding, either a pancake or piece of cake, an egg cooked any way you want, tea/coffee, and some fruit. Food and drink is available all through the day, and they'll deliver it to you at any of the lovely outdoor sitting places dotted through the hotel. The menu is large and varied, and brilliant value.

We chose this hotel based on its location on the West Bank – away from the hussle and bustle of Luxor, but close to the ferry landing for ease of access to the East Bank. It was a little further from the ferry stop than we had been led to believe – probably a 10-minute walk, uphill, partly along a dirt road, so dragging a suitcase with wheels isn't the most comfortable. We thought we could get a quiet night's sleep, but were rudely awoken before 5am by the loudest call to prayer I have ever heard. The Mosque down the road must have the world's most powerful speakers – it sounded like they were right outside our window! Try getting a room at the back of the hotel.

The owners are really friendly, and full of helpful advice. Internet access is expensive – there are two cheaper places a short walk down the road."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of January 2008

We loved El Fayrouz!!!

"I just loved this hotel and everyone in it. My mother and I stayed here for a little over a week this past December. We originally booked five days before our trip to Aswan, but we were so happy there that we ended up leaving Aswan early, changing our plans, and going back to El Fayrouz for another three nights. Susan and Khaled are both just lovely and do everything they can to make you feel at home. All of the staff are very kind...Gelal, Hamde, Hany, Mohammad, and all the rest (too many to name them all!!!). They took very good care of us and were very respectful. We stayed at the hotel over Christmas and they had a lovely Christmas party with music, food, and dancing. It was such a wonderful time. The hotel itself is beautiful - the rooms are very tasteful and although they can be a little cold at night, there are plenty of blankets and Khaled even gave us a heater to stay warm. The garden is wonderful and just a haven after spending a day in Luxor. All of the food was very good and freshly made. I just loved it!!! I can't say that enough!!! We were offered a free flat by some of our friends in Luxor, but we liked El Fayrouz so much, we chose to stay there instead. I consider the hotel another home and everyone there a friend. I was so sorry we had to leave. We'll definitely be back as soon as we can!"

• Travel date: Tue 1st of January 2008

pleasant hotel

Good

"Another reviewer descibes this as a budget hotel but as you can pay less for a room in Luxor i would not put it in that category.
The
rooms and decor are lovely, as is the roof terrace and garden. Beds are comfortable.
Breakfast is filling.
The downsides are the expensive internet(internet cafes nearby),you need to shower quickly as the tank is small and that the rooms are cold in winter owing to the open planning of the building.Gezira is colder than Luxor.
They do though provide fires in the garden at night to sit round."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of December 2007

Remarkable little hotel

"Hotel Fayrouz is on the west bank of the Nile, across from Luxor and close to many of the key sights in the area (e.g., Valley of the Kings). Not many people stay on the west bank, but I would really recommend it, largely because it is so quiet at night (e.g., no car noise). This is a budget hotel and the rooms are basic in some ways (e.g., no phone, no television, mis-matching towels). However, they are very stylish and *spotlessly* clean. The showers, too, are wonderfully hot, with excellent water pressure (often a problem in egyptian hotels). The hotel has a number of outside sun terraces to while away the hours, and has the most beautiful shady garden where a good breakfast is taken. Of all of the places that we stayed in Egypt, El Fayrouz was the one that we were most sorry to leave."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of January 2007

El Fayrouz

"Recenlty stayed at EL Fayrouz hotel in Luxor, the hotel is in the west bank in the middle of a residential area. We were very impressed by how clean the hotel was (not clean by Egyptian standards, really clean!), the spacious rooms, fantastic garden, lovely food and efficient/friendly management. Would certainly go back and will recommend it to anybody who visits Luxor!"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of May 2005

Hotels near El Fayrouz

Stayed at El Fayrouz? Share your insight.

El Fayrouz is also called