Boomerang Hotel

Mohamed Farid Street, Luxor Egypt

Good

Friendly and willing to go above and beyond

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"I stayed at Boomerang back at the end of February and after arriving unexpectedly early on the overnight train from Cairo and Luxor, I truly appreciated the easy to navigate directions from their site, a blessing at 4am. Even though I arrived early for my reservation, I was shown my room and allowed to rest without being charged an extra night. Everyone working at the hotel were all beyond helpful, as a solo female traveler who was sort of just winging my trip, their suggestions and extra care to help me figure things out were much appreciated. Even when they sent someone to purchase my bus tickets to Dahab I noticed they didn't add an extra charge for the service, and when it came time for me to catch the bus they even had someone walk me to the station, carry my bag, and sit and talk with me while we waited. In the end my tip was refused, citing that this was just the Egyptian way.

The co-owner, Mia was away on business during my stay, but when she returned she sent me an email stating that there was a mix up and I may have been overcharged for the room I stayed in. She was ready to give me a refund, but the prices are so low to begin with that I didn't find it necessary, but that just shows that Mia is not only an honest business woman, but a good person, too. I'd recommend Boomerang to anyone."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of June 2010

welcoming and overall wonderful

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"What a lovely place to stay! This is definately one of the best hotels in Luxor.
It's a hidden gem, although probably hidden not for long. The owners and staff are amazing!
The location is not too bad. It is a couple of minutes walk from the train station and about the same to Luxor Temple. It's on the right bank, but there's nothing to do on the left bank but sight-seeing.
It is truly a safe-haven. If you're looking for a place to hide from all the scams and hassle around the city, stay at Boomerang.
Had it only been located in another city I wouldn't have hesitated to come back, but Luxor is tiring. However, there are some must-see sites in and around the city, so if you're going try your best to get a room here."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of June 2010

Boomerang Hotel, Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"We arrived in Luxor by train in the afternoon/evening time and were met with the usual crowd of annoying men trying to take us to their hostel. Two of the men were very persistant indeed, we visited two hostels while walking down the street and finally agreed to go to the Boomerang hostel. We were skeptical that the guy was a tout and the room price would increase if we entered with him but this was not the case. After viewing the room and negotiating on a price, we decided to stay for 2 nights which turned out to be 4 nights!. On our first night we were woken at 4.30 by prayers being chanted through the streets, calling people to the mosque to pray! There is no way to avoid this as there are Mosques everywhere in Luxor, so we just had to deal with it! Boomebangs is a new hostel located 5 minutes walk from train station, its clean and the bedrooms are spacious and bright. Mia and Mohammed, the proprietors, are very welcoming and friendly. Miah (Australian) is also a travel agent so she will help with any trips or offer advise if needed. On the roof top there are sun loungers for all to use and a hostel BBQ on a Wednesday night (BBQ not great value for what you get but you get the chance to meet other travellers) The hostel is not like any other that we stayed in while in Egypt but very similar to hostels in Australia/New Zealand. Overall, I would highly recommend this hostel."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of May 2010

Everything you want from a hostel: absolutely fantastic

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"After being in Egypt a week and being hassled non-stop, walking into the Boomerang was a breath of fresh air. The staff are incredibly friendly and welcoming, and nothing is too much trouble. The room and adjacent en-suite bathroom were absolutely spotless - probably the cleanest hostel I've ever stayed in. Breakfast was excellent, and the tour of the West Bank Monuments is definately recommended - it was value for money, and was a brilliant way of seeing everything we wanted to see. I genuinely can't say nicer things about this place. it's only been open for 5 or 6 months, so isn't in Lonely Planet yet, but it's on the same road as the Oasis and the Nubian Oasis. Would stay there again without hesitation."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of April 2010

A perfect place to stay in Luxor

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"We had a great time in the Boomerang, the atmosphere was very relaxed and hassle free, which was a relief. We intended to stay 2 nights, but ended up staying 5 nights.
The hotel is new and clean, the rooms large and we had a very spacious bathroom ensuite. The mosquito nets above the beds almost scared me off, but I did'nt see, hear or feel a single mosquito during my stay.
Mia and Mohammed, the owners of the hotel, are wonderful people, very sympathetic and helpfull. I will definitely stay there again!"

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of March 2010

Great value and great location

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We first arrived in luxor and stayed at el gizera hotel, on the west bank (separate review). Our return flight was from luxor and during our travels we met a couple who strongly recommended the boomerang. We weren't disappointed - the hotel was very clean with comfortable beds and the staff was very warm and friendly. We had a room facing the street - so even though it is on a quieter more residential side street there is (like in all egyptian cities) street noise until midnight or so. A safe bet if you want to be on the more lively east bank - cheaper than el gizera (for the room as well as airport transportation) and also walking distance to the train station."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of February 2010

one word.... WOW

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"this is great hotel and value for money!!
the boomerang is new on the hotel scene in Luxor.
It is the only clean budget place in luxor!!!
It is australian managed and therefore the hygiene levels are amazing!
and toilet paper in the toilets not in those smelly bins you find in every toilet!!
The Australian owner is also a travel agent and so everything you book through the hotel is cheaper then you will find anywhere else ( yes i checked)
so guys i totally think everyone should give the new place a go!! you wont be disapointed. from backpackers to families to the elderly they have everything!!"

• Travel date: Fri 15th of January 2010

Real Value for Money

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"I stayed at this hotel with my wife and daughter for 8 nights and can honestly say we all felt comfortable and very much at home. The hotel is newly decorated and clean throughout. The rooms provide adequate space, are kept clean throughout and have excellent bathroom facilities.

Mia and her husband run this hotel and clearly take pride in what they do. Customer service is to the highest standard and they will arrange all your trips at the best possible value and give you sound advice on how to get the best from your stay.

During our time at this hotel, we met young and old along with families and back packers. All were made welcome and left very pleased with the service provided.

It has the added advantage of being just five minutes walk from the bus and train station and less than 10 minutes walk from Luxor Temple and the main Souk. If you want superb value for money, then look no further than Boomerang Hotel in Luxor."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of January 2010

The Only Place Worth Staying At in Luxor....Seriously, we checked.

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"This was the ONLY place where we felt safe when travelling in Egypt. It is a sanctum and definitely a home away from home. I travelled with my younger sister through Egypt, and being both asian and because we look so young, we got hassled quite a bit.

Over here, there is no hassling, and is a place that is good and safe for women travellers.

Great Management:
Mia, the Australian lady running the hostel, is amazing. She speaks Egyptian and definitely knows her stuff. She is extremely honest, helpful and goes more than out of her way to help guests. The management here has high standards when it comes to hygiene, and is transparent (again, a rarity in Egypt) with their guests. It's a cosy, jolly place to be.

Clean & Good Rooms
Rooms are extremely clean, neat and tidy - bedsheets are not old and grainy unlike most other hostels in Cairo/Luxor. Beds are great. Some rooms are a little small, but it's a small price to pay for everything else.

Help Rendered - when needed
My sister and I were overcharged in Cairo, for our tours in Luxor (A common issue with most backpackers travelling in Egypt). Mia helped us get all our money back and talked us through the entire process, without asking for anything in return."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of December 2009

Boomerang Hotel - New Kid on Block

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"The Boomerang Hotel is a newly opened property within last four months. The owners are a married couple one from Australia while the other from Egypt which makes for a wonderful working team with all the different nationalities. The man lived in Germany for many years and his wife speaks Arabic & Italian.

Their hotel is on the East bank, on Mohamed Farid street very near the train station. As it is new the interior along with all the rooms and fixtures are new as well with excellent bed mattress, very large private bathrooms, nice common bathrooms/showers on each floor, nice rooftop terrace as well. They have fast internet including WIFI. The breakfast is excellent which I found far better than other hotels I have reviewed close by on the same street. They of course arrange tours but seem to be better priced than others. They can also arrange to make a student card for you which saves a great deal of money on entrance fees at the many Temples and museums here.

The rooms are moderately priced and a very good value especially when you consider that you are staying in a property with all new facilities. They have laundry service and will help you in as many ways as possible.

In all the Boomerang is a extremely nice, clean and well run hotel with value pricing, good management, wonderful owners and a good choice when you stay in Luxor.

There are others on the same street but they do not put money back into their property and even though they may be a bit less expensive the rooms are old, bathrooms poor in quality, food not as good, may not have working internet as is the case now, and generally not as nice as the Boomerang."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of November 2009

Hotels near Boomerang Hotel

Stayed at Boomerang Hotel? Share your insight.