We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Al Moudira Hotel

West Bank Hager Al Dabbeya, Luxor 23502 Egypt

Amazing Hotel

Good

"You won't find a hotel like this anywhere else in Luxor.. a work of love on behalf of the owner I think. Think arty, romantic, peaceful, tasteful... my wife and I loved it.

Forget chain hotels with identikit rabbit warren rooms. This hotel is more 'villa style' with a number of separate buildings built around individual planted courtyards with fountains. The rooms are bigger than most London apartments with bathrooms the size of most hotel bedrooms. Our room had hand painted walls, antique art deco lights, shuttered windows and coloured glass roof lights embedded into the domed ceiling. Oh, and a four poster bed with lace mosquito nets for that real English Patient or Raiders of the Lost Ark feeling!

The hotel pool is a fantastic place to relax and set amongst fruit orchards. The reception opens into a large and beautiful courtyard where breakfast is taken (and a beer or two after hiking round the antiquities on an evening).

The hotel is out of town and situated on the West Bank.. ideally suited for the Valley of the Kings and the West Bank sites. Very peaceful and a million miles away from the chaos of Luxor but a taxi is required to go anywhere and Luxor is about ten minutes drive (the Hotel has fixed rate taxis which are not so expensive).

In short, a unique place and an antidote to the corporate hamster boxes we have become so used to. If you like your beers and kebabs and hitting the nightclubs then this place is probably not for you. If you like to try different things then this is more for you. Its not a chain hotel so the odd thing can go wrong (we had an ant invasion one night but we were moved to another room immediately and without any fuss)."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of October 2006

heaven on earth

Good

"This hotel is a little peice of paradise - heaven for mind, body and soul. It is the perfect place to stay for relaxation and tranquility. We cannot wait to return."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of October 2006

The real Egypt

"During our longed for visit to Egypt my partner and I spent 2 days in Cairo and 8 days cruising the Nile. Our last 4 days were spent at the Al Moudira. It is a visually stunning retreat where peace and quiet are the norm. The service was 1st. class and we could not fault the staff, who we thought of as friends after just a day or so. Our room was massive with a sunken bath and a gigantic four poster bed. The charm of the Al Moudira is that it is of the beaten-track. Lizards can be seen on the walls and gentle fountains lend a back-drop to peace and quiet. We hired a taxi recommended by staff to take us into Luxor, and there was no quibble about fares etc. One of our best experiences was a falluca trip at sundown arranged for us by the management. We intend to go back there and make it our base for enjoying Luxor and visiting again the Valley of the Kings. The hotel is set in typical village surroundings- a far cry from what we had experienced before. I would recommend it to anyone - and have done so. We loved it, and look forward to going back there soon."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of September 2006

Beautiful desert retreat

"Stayed here early July 2006, way off-season and very hot. Best hotel experience in our two weeks in Egypt for atmosphere, service, accomodation. Earns its five stars -- creative decor (hotel about five years old), unusual rooms, enormous bathrooms (comparison to "personal hammam" is accurate). Staff among most personable and friendly encountered anywhere. Best part: no baksheesh/tips pressure. At the beginning of our stay, in fact, front desk person was surprised at LE 5 tip for handling bags. We arrived off sleeper train from Cairo at about 5:30 a.m., and were surprised and delighted to be allowed to check into room (probably not a possibility in peak season).

Staff does its best to create hassle-free experience. They will set up activities (camel ride, felucca on Nile, etc.) at reasonable price -- you pay driver directly (hotel sets price), and pay hotel for activity -- a break from the pervasive Egypt tourist hassle. Ask for driver Ismail; talk to front-desk manager Yasser for activities.

Started a bar conversation with wait staff about real Egyptian food and was directed to excellent outdoor restaurant in town inside grounds of hotel Mercure. From that conversation, the next night restaurant staff prepared special Egyptian meal (beef tagen, very simple), and served it with friendliness.

Note: Al Moudira is in the middle of nowhere (though on the west side of the Nile, so nearer to Valley of the Kings, etc., than downtown Luxor). You can't really walk around outside the grounds, which are surrounded by very poor villages. Probably not a great place for kids, though I'm sure they would be welcome. If you seek nightlife, music, cheese 'n' onion crisps, chips (not too greasy) and Watney's Red Barrel, you will be unhappy here, a full half-hour drive from downtown. If you want desert retreat atmosphere with modern artistic flair, you will be happy. Reading by pool/swimming is a great way to relax -- our room had about a dozen books.

Also note: Food and drink are expensive, though excellent (especially salads and meze). You're a captive audience if you don't want to make arrangements to go into town.

Final note: We were one of three couples in 50-plus-room hotel, which staff says is fully booked in peak season, so you may not get same level of service.

Overall a place to return to -- hopefully new Sofitel management won't mess it up. Also, it's not easy to book this hotel on the Web. You'll probably have to go to the hotel's own site, which is bizarrely constructed -- or use old-fashioned phone."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of July 2006

Great Place to stay in Luxor

"Just came back from 2 nights at Al Moudira. What a place. I cannot believe it was built in total 4 years ago. Looks like it's been there for ages. If you are looking for a place that is "a world away" then this is it. It's far away from Luxur center but well worth it. If you are visiting the Luxor sites, then it is actually closer to the likes of Valley of the Kings, etc. which is all on the West Bank. This place is magical. It really is. Not only is it beautiful but I will go out on a limb and say that it had the best food in all of Egypt that we experienced. That wasn't only coming from me but from my wife and a couple of friends. It has a combination of Western food as well as Egyptian and Lebanese (just a sampling). The best Mezze's we've eaten. About the hotel. The pool is beautiful. Rooms are lovely. They upgraded us to a suite as it wasn't very busy. Ask for room 25 and you won't be disappointed. Bear in mind, this is not a Sheraton or a Sonesta. You are not getting out of a elevator and going to room 1820 now. It's a different sort of place. Check their website and what is on that site is what you get. Service was good. I wouldn't say it is 5 star service at all. Front desk is OK but not too informative. Sercurity was very good and you felt safe the entire time. The woman that built this place should be highly recommended. I was a fantastic place to stay. If you are on a honeymoon, it is a honeymoon destination for sure. I was well impressed."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of May 2006

desert sanctuary

"took a short break to Egypt, spent 2 nights at the Mena House Oberoi and only 1 night here, wished I planned it the other way around

this place is as beautiful as it is represented in their website (very helpful site)

for the price I paid at Mena House vs. here, this place should be rated almost a perfect 10

my room was very charming and the huge bathroom felt like a private hammam, after a long day of sightseeing, a bubble bath was the perfect way to end the day

the food was not excellent but not bad (had lunch & dinner here), wine selection was decent, service was not bad (introduced myself to the owner, my best friend's boss' friend, by coincidence only & not why I chose this place to start out with)

considering that it's in the middle of a rural village close by the sites (Valley of the King /queen/Medinat Habu & etc), the fact that it had clean clear running water (not available at Mena House) & etc, beautifully designed & decorated rooms & public areas, nothing like the soul less chain hotels (that I'm used to staying for work), good value for money

if Mena House is suppose to be one of the best hotels in the country, would not be surprised if this indeed is the best hotel in the country (as my best friend's boss told us, and he is a very well traveled higher maintenance type of person)

ok if I have to be picky about one thing-- my room was a bit on the dusty side... but maybe that just came with all the antique furniture"

• Travel date: Sat 8th of April 2006

Fabulous

"A gorgeous gem with bags of character, dominated by middle-aged arty French types. Our huge room had a beautiful domed ceiling with peacocks painted on it. Although the hotel is relatively new it felt just like an old palace; it has been designed beautifully with the rooms spread out in a wonderful maze of courtyards, summerhouses and fountains, perfect for romantic strolling. The lounge is a lovely place to spend an evening in cosy colonial luxury, with the pianist tinkling away. Dinners were surprisingly disappointing, but it was easier than anticipated to get a taxi into town instead. I can see why those who like luxury business hotels would be put off; the hairdryer was rubbish and there was no trouser press, mini bar etc. But if you're looking for an unusual, romantic setting for your holiday, this is perfect."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of February 2006

Good Boutique Hotel

"If you want to stay somewhere a little special (ie not a chain hotel), if you'd like to feel you are staying in a pasha's palace with a sense of the Middle East, then this is the hotel for you. It is close in style to a boutique hotel. Lovely grounds, enormous rooms (especially bathrooms), swimming pool and gorgeous bar. Only downside is that it is outside of Luxor so you would have to make a special trip into town to eat or, alternatively, you can eat in the hotel restaurant which is fine. A great find and to be recommended."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of January 2006

A tranquil oasis

"I could not have wished for a more beautiful and relaxing place such as this. We had two rooms at Al Moudira as we were travelling with our two children aged 14 and 17 - both rooms were spacious and immaculately clean. Like the other reviews said there is nothing much to do here apart from eat fine food and relax by the pool - which we did aplenty!! and as there appeared to be very few other guests it felt as though we had our own private villa with staff to hand. We took advantage of the hotels offer to find us a car and driver for each of the days we wanted to take excursions. The drivers spoke English well enough to explain the sights and happily arranged extras for us such as motorboat or fellucca rides on the Nile. This place is not suited to someone who is looking for bright lights and big cities - but if it is something special you want you should go!"

• Travel date: Wed 9th of November 2005

Fantastic memorable - different!

Good

"We have travelled to Luxor many many times and this trip was a rest and relaxation holiday, we have seen all the sights, and just wanted a good rest. It was our first trip to Al Moudira, and we were not dissappointed. Though the hotel was very quiet, the service and food remained excellent, staff could not do enough for us. We had 14 days of doing nothing but lazing around reading books, listenting to music and chilling out.

Having a pool to yourself is a luxury you dont get in the hotels on the East Bank along the Corniche............we will definately be going again. Fantastic."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of October 2005

This has to be the most peaceful and tra...

"This has to be the most peaceful and tranquil hotel I’ve ever stayed in. I found myself wishing I could stay here for much longer than I was booked in for.

There was nothing I liked on the menu for dinner (I'm not only a picky eater but also a vegetarian) the chef cooked me a fantastic cheese omelet and the salad was incredible, my Husband had a very succulent lamb dinner. We had dinner by the water fountain and under the stars - very romantic.

The room had 14 feet high ceilings that are dome shaped with different coloured glass cut into it, this created a rainbow in the room and the bed was super king sized with mossie nets, a sunken bathroom. Everywhere we went we could here water fountains and the smell of flowers created a gorgeous perfume. After being in Cairo and Luxor this gem of a hotel gave us time to relax and unwind before the next part of our trip.

The staff were unobtrusive but excellent in anticipating our needs. I plan to return here for a much longer stay."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of April 2006

Hotels near Al Moudira Hotel

Stayed at Al Moudira Hotel? Share your insight.

Al Moudira Hotel is also called