The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh

Sahl Hasheesh, Hurghada 117 Egypt

Tooo Amazing!

Good

"This is the second time my wife and I have visited the hotel, the first being on our honeymoon. We've had the fortune of travelling to some lovely hotels whilst being married, but this hotel is amongst the best.

On our return in Dec 2005, we took our 3 month old son. We opted for the grand pool villa, which was good given that it was very windy on the beach and around the main pool (which was hardly used as a result). The pool is enclosed so we were protected from the winds and could still go swimming every day.

The villa was fantastic in terms of decor, location, facilities. The staff were great at helping us get a villa close to the main hotel thereby making life easier when going everywhere with the pram. The food was truly amazing. We have some difficult dietary requirements, but the chef made us four course dinners every evening from a different continent each night. It was the best food we have ever had!!

In summary, a great relaxing luxury resort, with fantastic staff, facilities, accomodation and cuisine. We wouldn't hesitate to go back again."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of January 2006

Fantastic Hotel

Good

"I booked this hotel for a quiet and pampered week for my wife and I. Having stayed at Oberoi hotels before I expected a certain standard and was not dissapointed.

Our suite could not be faulted except for one small thing, no sun loungers in the garden. In a conversation with a senior manager I mentioned this to him, with some embaressment he agreed with me and said that the hotel were taking steps to put this right along with more parasols around the pool area.

We found the standard and variety of food to be excellent, and always served with a smile. On one occasion I sent a meal back simply because the chicken was very slightly overdone. The next thing I had the restaurant manager and the head chef at my table applolgising profuseley and asking what they could do to put thisngs right.

If you want an hotel that will pamper you in wonderfull surroundings this is the one. Don't bother taking the hotel limo into Hurghada it really isnt worth the trouble.

A truly wonderful hotel with absoluteley fantasic service and staff that know what you want before you do."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of October 2005

Still the best hotel in Hurghada

Good

"This the second year that we have been to the Oberoi. We loved it last year and were slightly concerned reading the last two reviews. I am pleased to say that the hotel is as fab as ever.

We did not book it as a package so had to organise our transfers ourselves. Quoted about 50-60 uk pounds by holiday taxis, each way. Fortunately I phoned the hotel and they were able to send a hotel driver to pick us up for $15 each way! Be aware, it is probably best to do this via email since you should get confirmation this way. While all our fellow passengers waited with their reps for everyone to collect their baggage, we walked straight out to a uniformed hotel staff member with a brass sign saying Oberoi. A good start.

We booked a superior suite since we wanted a DVD player and to have a shorter walk to the beach. Beware - anyone who says the furthest villas away from the beach are too far, are plain lazy. A two and a half minute walk in my books is not too far! Even then, you could just press 'buggy' on the telephone and two minutes later a golf cart and driver will whisk you to wherever you wish to go! A superior suite also has the benefit of sun loungers in your court yard which allows you to sunbathe in complete privacy.

The food was excellent with great service. Sometimes we had to wait a couple of minutes for our beers to arrive but, hey, I was in no rush since I was on holiday! The food in the poolside restaurant is great at lunchtime. Breakfasts are definately worth getting out of bed at 10.25 for.

We never used the pool since the sea has beautiful fish and corals in it but we did look at it when having lunch. Anyone seeing green algae and broken tiles must be a little sad, since I couldn't spot any.

Hurghada can be very windy at times. Our first two days had a black flag up which supposedly meant that we could not swim. There was still people swimming, you just have to be more careful since you could get swept onto the sharp coral. If you find swimming through the clearly marked channel in the coral to get to the clear water too scarey, you can walk to the end of the jetty which extends beyond the coral. The tide does go out but you can still use both means of getting into the water.

I did a couple of dives which was fun, albeit quite expensive. My girlfriend loved the spa where you can do loads of treatments at a reasonable price.

We both loved the in-suite dining. For a surcharge of 50 pence you get your meal served in your courtyard. The guys that serve you are great but can be a little too attentive and keen, so ensure that you politely say goodbye and thanks before they top up your wine after every sip! Please be aware that wine and champagne is very expensive. We bought our own from home which was brilliant for when you are not eating in the restaurant. We alternated between restaurant and in-suite dining in the evenings.

Altogether the trips was fantastic. Yes there are some language barriers to get overcome (I would like a wine cooler, not a can of cool cola!) but if that was not there you may aswell stay at home."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of October 2005

Not Consistently 5 star.....

Good

"Oasis meets the Sea, unique location, a completely different experience. We were shown our suite miles away, and chose to upgrade to beach front Great view !!! and ideally situated to both pool and beach -Over looking the wonderful beach that was meticulously cleaned and levelled every day. Having a delux suite gave the benefit of limousine meet & greet at the airport to and from, and also trips to Hurghada centre about 120 EP and Mustafa waited for us to dine, then drove us back. Very elegant restaurant there called Il Forno.

ROOMS/SUITES great, our sunken bath only took 20 mins to fill !! Room service okayish, but we did stay in one night and the selection of DVDs was excellent and no charge (our suite had dvd player)But some attention should be paid to the cleaning, the marble floor still had sand and crumbs from day previous, frugal with tissues, robes very shrunk, the socket for hairdryer was broken, we called they came but could not fix. Gardener outside suite at 8am chopping shrubs!!!!

POOL - would have been really nice, - but mosaic tiles dropping off and dirty rim and green algae growing in the tile gaps and in some shaded corners. Pool attendent on the 4th day started to scrub to clean(half heartedly at that) at 4pm in afternoons! Some pool terrace areas were never hosed down or swept whilst we were there 7 days. Nearly every day at 10.30am the pool bar and restaurant tables and chairs were moved to clean that floor and then the machines brought out to wash and scrub and then polish dry till nearly noon !!! Then the gardener decided to mow the surrounding lawn at 10.30 am and then at 4pm chopped the hedge 2 ft from the sunloungers which were occupied !! Pool service was rather slow,we ordered, waited 10 mins you would be served with your drink, then 10 mins later come around to sign payment.
Beware the pool is being refurbished starting on 27 Nov 05.
On our last day a coach load of visitors arrived and more or less took over the pool restaurant, I think they stayed for 2 days... luckily we were leaving.
FOOD - for a supposed 5 star should have been better. They seemed to think that giving you a big basket of bread and bottle of water before hand was the 5 star touch. Yes the eggs did take time, and could not be co-ordinated so you both ate at the same time. The breakfast restaurant was quite dark and depressing more like a 'gentlemans club' rather than a holiday resort. Marble floors throughout but for some reason laminate flooring in the bar and Tagen Restaurant (like a job lot from B&Q !!!)
BEACH - more than excellent service, they could not do enough for you. Unfortunately the tide was out most of the day, windy with black flag and the first half of the seas edge is rocky, but over the other side it was sandy and you could walk out to the sea barefoot. Snorkelling directly from the beach hotel pier was fantastic - lots of fish so near. Beach and water clean and clear. The tide came in about 5pm so was even better then.
We did discuss these comments with reception and customer service who were really concerned and made notes........ Just did not live up to a 5 star billing on our visit, sadly."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of September 2005

Not that brilliant

"The suites were of a very high standard and the majority of the staff were very friendly. Service was however shockingly poor in the bar/restaurant - not what is expected from a five star hotel. We received the wrong orders on numerous occasions and were left hanging around for half an hour for our eggs in the morning.
The beach is not really suitable for swimming as it contains a lot of rocks and on windy days (which are the norm) there is a black flag which means that swimming is totally prohibited."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of September 2005

Better than most.

Good

"We stayed at the Oberoi late August 2004 and found the rooms to be very impressive the staff to be generally very helpful and the hotel restaurant to be excellent food and excellent value (we don't drink so that always makes a difference). The Beach that belonged to the hotel was as very clean with the odd bit of plastic. We don't dive so cannot comment on those facilities but I do snorkel and the coral was beautiful as it is all along the red sea coasts. But, yes this is one of two big buts; the coral was pretty badly damaged in certain spots and dead in others. And the beach next door on an undeveloped site had unbelievable amounts of rubbish on it, we were quite shocked. The second complaint was on the final day we had to out of our room by 12 noon and we like a few others would be leaving the hotel at around 5pm for the airport we were given no extra time at all and a fellow couple with a young baby that had become ill on the last 2 days were being given no extra time. I made my views on that couples predicament very clear. Eventually they were moved rooms so they could check out late. But they had to argue long and hard. The rest of us wondered the hotel for the remaining hours in the extreme heat, allowed to use the spa showers. Now the spa showers were fine but it was the attitude of the duty manager that I really found infuriating. Five Star two weeks and eating in the hotel for all meals we spent quite allot and felt that absolute refusal to let late check outs happen was of a low standard and sent us and our fellow travelers off with a negative feeling. The duty manager took me aside as we waited to leave and apologised giving me his card. He was at this point very apologetic, perhaps the number of disgruntled customers finally sunk in. It was a bit late to be apologising. I would on balance say the Hotel was one of the best so far as the rooms and food in the area but the sea/coral seemed damaged by pollution and my recommendation would be for the Sinai coast from Sharm up to Eilat."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of August 2005

Awesome hotel and service

Good

"My wife and I chose this hotel after much research for our wedding anniversary and as our main holiday with our 17-month-old daughter and it was beyond our expectations.

The hotel suites are fantastic, the staff are so helpful and the managers could not do enough to help us enjoy our 2-week stay.

An example would be when we were kept awake on breezy night because the tree over the dome in the sitting area kept blowing against the dome every 5 minutes. I commented on this the next morning to be asked whether we would like to be moved to another suite or would it be sufficient for them to trim the tree back (which they did within 1 hour).

The staff were excellent and very helpful, particularly with our daughter of whom they made a great fuss and always brought her free special drinks or chocolates etc.

Because it was very hot (101 - 102) we requested a travel cot for our daughter by the pool so we could keep under the parasols; the managers instructed the pool attendants to ensure that 2 beds with a parasol was reserved every day and the travel cot placed between the beds and that is exactly what happened!

All in all an excellent hotel and a fabulous holiday, we will definitely return.
Was it 100% perfect ... no, but very, very close: there were only a couple of minor points....

There was not a massive selection on the children’s menu, though it was all freshly made.
There were not enough sun beds and even less parasols as the hotel got busier.
The wine and Champagne was extortionate!

However upon our return I received an e-mail from the manager having filled out the comments card in the room, who informed us that they will be changing the children’s menu shortly to add a greater variety and that more sun beds and parasols are on order.
The wine and Champagne prices however are beyond their control due to the 350% tax imposed by the Egyptian government!

My advice is visit duty free at the airport on the way out!"

• Travel date: Mon 8th of August 2005

The best hotel i have ever been to.....

"I visited the oberoi for a week with my girlfriend at the end of july and without a doubt this was the best hotel i have ever been to (and i have been to a few places around the world). this was are first holiday together and it will be very hard to keep up the standards for any future holidays we have together as the service, food,wheather and room were impecable. this is a holiday resort for couples or families who want to do nothing but relax as you are pretty much limited to staying on the resort which we were happy to do....
There is just one regret, that we didnt stay for two weeks....."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of July 2005

Best Hotel in Hurghada, without a shadow of a doubt

"First post on this forum, consulted often but never bothered to post

Have just come back from a week at the Oberoi, (booked with Longwood, £485pp, B&B)

What can I say, fantastic hotel, no doubt the best in Hurghada, nothing comes close, intimate, small, great staff, good value for money, and a room that looked even better than brochure!

Were lucky/unlucky enough to see some other hotels and makes you realise that it is the best available in Hurghada.

I think at under £500 pp for a week, it is a real steal!"

• Travel date: Mon 4th of July 2005

Perfect Holiday

"I normally don’t get enough time after returning from a vacation to give such feedback or write to everybody who would have looked after us during this period. However, this is an exception to the rule as the last resort I visited needs all the praise one can give.

I recently went with my wife to The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh located on the Red Sea, Egypt. I must say that when you land and drive to the resort you are not too sure that things would be as perfect as one would like them to be. But as soon as you enter the resort and are welcomed with a drink (karkadia made of local hibiscus flowers) and a warm smile you feel at ease. It is an all suite resort, a member of the Leading hotels of the world and was rated as the best resort on the Red Sea last year. We stayed in a grand suite which has a private pool and a nice courtyard. Something which has remained in my mind is a pillow menu which I found very unusual and interesting. Housekeeping staff pamper you and do all kind of shapes with towels and place them around the suite, nice gesture. The Spa is managed by the famous Banyan tree and I was fortunate to have my treatment in the Spa Suite (book in advance, lovely experience). For dinner one can choose from the cozy and beautiful Tagen which I was informed has opened recently. It offers Indian and Mediterranean food and both were just superb. Besides the main restaurant and the courtyard they also have a dining area next to the pool which over looks the sea and serves fresh seafood. Here the chefs pleasantly surprised me once again with a salt crust fish which was carved on the table and tasted so fresh that it felt the fish was caught only a few hours back. Service is perfect with the waiter turning the wine bottle while serving so that the last drop doesn’t spill. The hotel staff for sure are well looked after as they are for ever smiling and cheerful. It feels that one has got transported into a dream world, a world where I shall return very soon.

I have rated the resort as excellent only because there is no rating above that! (As mentioned on the site)"

• Travel date: Sun 12th of June 2005

I knew we had made a mistake as soon as...

"I knew we had made a mistake as soon as we arrived at the hotel. We were "interviewed" before our room was allocated by a very friendly hotel reprehensive who wished to know how we would be paying for meals, drinks, etc. The hotel would prefer us to pay with credit cards, English money but wouldn’t accept Egyptian currency! I found this bizarre as I was in Egypt? Or had I just dreamed the last 2 weeks from Cairo- Abu Simbal?

The rooms were beautiful, there was even a menu for 7 different types of pillows one could have!

The breakfast was realty great. Round the pool no one was seem to be buying drinks etc. No wonder because everything was expensive but there was 24% local taxes still to be added to the final price – I paid £2.00 for a 500ml bottle of water. There aren’t enough sun loungers but the pool man for a couple of Egyptian pounds was happy to reserve 2 beds for us. The Kuoni Rep was superb he advised all his clients to take a cab into town for about £4.50 go to the duty free and buy drinks etc to take back to the hotel!

Also recommended a great restaurant called Mafia we and another couple we knew escaped there nightly where bottles of wine, numerous beers and 4 x 3 course meals came to £30.00 this is more like the prices we had become used to in Egypt. The cab back cost only £2.50 this is because the hotel has no control over the taxi's clients take back and therefore can’t fix the price. The other couple had a curry in the hotel one night and the bill came to over £50.00 for 2 main courses! Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind paying the "going" rates but I refuse to be ripped off."

• Travel date: Sun 30th of July 2006

Wonderful hotel superb accommodation ind...

"Wonderful hotel superb accommodation individual bungalows superbly furnished delightful staff willing to please and add that extra something which makes you feel looked after fresh flowers and fruit daily excellent food and catered for gluten free diet even baked special bread!"

• Travel date: Mon 1st of March 2004

Hotels near The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh

Stayed at The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh? Share your insight.

The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is also called