The Grand Resort Hurghada

Red Sea / Corniche Road, Hurghada Egypt

Good
( 2093 reviews)

We got food poisoning!!!

Reviewed 2 months ago

"Our initial impression wasn’t good as the reception staff were rude, it didn’t get any better as time went on. The attitude of the staff was consistently bad, and the service poor. As for the food, that was never hot enough, not well presented and the menu changed little. The restaurant tables were never cleaned away quickly enough, finding extra cutlery or spoons was next to impossible, we often had to wait while cups or glasses were brought out. Wild birds seemed to inhabit the restaurant, feeding off plates left on tables, walking over everything, and plopping as birds do. Little attempt was made to even shoo them away by the staff who seemed to accept their presence. Having traveled a lot in recent years this is the worst hotel food and service we have ever encountered. We both got food poisoning( no surprise there!). The hotel ‘Doctor’ sent to us had no ID on him, gave us tablets without boxes loose in a plastic bag in his medical case. He never asked us what other medications we may be taking.
Our hotel room was Spacious but no tea making facilities. The swimming pools are very good. Luckily we are going home to England tomorrow, can’t wait. We intend to see our travel agent and suggest that this hotel is inspected and no further holiday makers are sent here until improvements are made.
English people expect better than this!"

• Travel date: Sat 1st of September 2018

Once a Grand Hotel

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the Grand Resort in Hurghada from 29 September to 6th Oct 2006. We are much travelled people who believe that a holiday should be a real treat and relaxing. Unfortunately this was not the case at this hotel. Dont get me wrong, it was by no means an awful experience however 5 star it is not. First thing is a plus, the transfer from the airport was just 10 mins. The local airport staff are a real pain in the neck with asking for tips constantly. I recomend you take $1 US bills for tipping, approx 70p for good service goes down well when the average wage of a waiter is £50 per month. Being processed in the reception went ok, no problems getting to the room. The room was a lovely size however it really stank of smoke, the air conditioning was poor and the decor looked really tired.

The usual German trick of putting out the towels at the crack of dawn is a really annoying feature of many of my holidays, and this was no exception. The hotel seemed fairly quiet until meal times. The food choice was poor and I found it difficult to make up a decent meal. Breakfast was boring and if you accepted the glass of orange juice offered on the way in u soon found you was paying a fortune for warm fly infested sweet stuff. The hotel is situated on the wrong side of the road for the beach, however you can use the beach in the hotel opposite as it is part of the hotel chain. This is a so called 4 star Hotel called the Grand Hotel and it looks more like a Butlins Challet. You can also use the dinning facilities in that hotel (Not Recommended) and vice versa, hence the 4 star people loved to dine in our 5 star hotel making it busy and noisy. I wont name our tour rep but she was useless, she failed to book us a place on any of the trips so we had to arrange it ourselves at a cost of £185 (Cairo) via the tour operators 24 hour help line. This was also a rip off as they convert it to Eygptian pounds to put through the bank then back to sterlins to charge your bank, making the cost £220. However as for the previous report advising you to use Eygptian tour operators .... dont, with British operators when you fly the Flight is £55 with egypt air, then there is the entry fee to the musiem, sphinx etc, the transportation costs to the pyramids and various factories, the tour guide who was fab, lunch on the nile etc so i thought £185 (take cash with you) was good value, better than the 9 hour coach trip that left at 1.30am.
I wont harp on any more but i will say this, if you have got a bargain price i.e less than £300 per person then why not try it, its a 3 star price after all, and i have stayed in much worse, but if you want something a bit more exotic and special dont be fooled by the star rating and try Antigua. For the right price you wont be disapointed, we booked a few days before we left and paid £490 between 2 of us.... good luck"

• Travel date: Mon 16th of October 2006

Every time things get better and better, a truly fantastic Hotel!!!

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"This is the third time I have visited this hotel and it gets better each time. I fell in love with this hotel in January of 2006 when both my mother and I visited. I am a 22 yr old midwife who likes peace and quiet away from all the hustle and bustle I experience daily. The reason I love this hotel is due to the fact that I get 100% relaxation with the added benefits of being treated like royalty. Nothing here is too much trouble for the staff and they will generally accommodate all your personal needs. You are not even allowed to move a sun bed, as the pool attendant will quickly come and position your sun bed in the sun or under a parasol should you wish. Shortly after you are greeted by waiting staff that are happy to fetch you drinks and food should you feel the desire to eat or drink.
In the hotel itself the surroundings are simply beautiful. It has so much to see what with its own night club called club orange and the bar which serves alcohol until you are ready to go to sleep! The restaurants are what I describe as being perfect due to the massive diversity in food available. For instance generally the main restaurant serves food on a theme basis. This is for instance English food on Monday, Italian on Tuesday and French on Wednesday along with the other restaurants serving Chinese, Mediterranean and other Eastern delights. I noticed that some reviews don’t rate the food highly; I would say that unless you are a food critic or a wine expert the food is more than excellent. What can be confusing however is how drinks are paid for at meal times. I would like to mention that you can have what ever drinks are available; this is simply added to a tab system which you pay for at the end of your stay.
The entertainment is too something to enjoy, they have many shows which include Grease, The Rocky Horror Show and Cats along with singers and other forms of entertainment. This is situated left of the building in a designated theatre.
Rooms are delightful, clean and all have a good air conditioning system which does work! You generally have a bed big enough for a large family with a three piece suite, television, telephone, mini bar and dressing table and large wardrobes. The bathroom is large with a bath, shower and granite sink unit, large heated mirror and hair dryer. Each room comes also with its own digital safe which is free to use. The balcony is nice to use of an evening and has its own table and chairs. I’m sure if you are visiting this hotel or are planning a visit you will enjoy it as much as me. Below I have listed some tips which could benefit your stay that I do to make my holiday extra special.

I often have afternoon tea with a pot of Nescafe and a selection of cakes and sandwiches, this is £3 English money. This can be purchased from the bar located directly off the dance floor with its own seating terrace outside.

The currency exchange from dollars or English pounds to Egyptian pounds is better in the Hotel than it is anywhere in the UK.

Take some spare change especially English pound coins for tipping; this is better, cheaper and much more appreciated than giving Egyptian pounds. Egyptians prefer English money especially children which you may see when visiting different places.

I would also recommend that if you were planning to visit the Pyramids in Cairo or whatever activities you feel like doing book with Egyptian companies. Tour operators inside the hotel itself will try and sell you trips and activities for very high prices. For example a trip to Cairo could cost you £180 which would be planned with many other holiday makers. A trip to Cairo with a reputable Egyptian company travelling on a much smaller scale could cost as little as £50. I would however like to point out that you must make sure they hold a valid insurance policy and are licensed to perform trips.

I hope this has given you a slightly more detailed evaluation of the hotel and hope you enjoy your stay. I am travelling back there for Christmas this year on the 15th of December so could possibly see you there!"

• Travel date: Fri 6th of October 2006

Generally good hotel

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Just back from 4 nights here and, generally, pretty pleased.

The hotel itself is huge - about 800 rooms, 2 large pools, several restaurants and bars. All of these are impressively presented, especially at night. The beach is just a few minutes walk away, accessed through the sister hotel across the street.

Our bedroom was huge, clean and nicely decorated but lacking a tea/coffee centre which would have been preferable. The bathroom also flooded very easily.

The staff are generally helpful although the bell-hops are a bit rude when it comes to asking for tips - but this is common in Egypt.

The only let down, really, would be the food. We stayed Half Board which gave us the choice of 3 "restaurants". 2 of these are little more than glorified canteens and the buffet-style food is average - but they are serving a lot of people. The other restaurant - Mediterraneo - is actually very good. The food is served to your table and is of good quality. However, you do have to book for this restaurant and I'm not sure if they would let you do this every night."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of October 2006

Loved every minute of it, can't wait to go back

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"Amazing hotel. We were given a map on check-in to help us find our way around the hotel (and boy we needed it!) Its huge! Proper Arabian nights, the sun went down around 5 or 6 every day and the sky was deep, deep red, like a dream. After dark the lights around the hotel come on and words cannot describe the beauty. You simply must experience it. Very friendly staff, nice food, huge bedrooms (the double beds are large enough for 3 people with room to spare), clean pool, lots of activities throughout the whole day. The chambermaids come during the day to clean the room and then again in the evening to draw the curtains and turn back the bedclothes which I thought was a really nice touch. Really good value for money. The locals can take some getting used to - when they try to get you into their shops say no thank you politely but firmly and they leave you alone. But you must be FIRM unless you have a couple of hours to kill because they do like to talk until you buy something. When you get off the plane at Egypt everybody is given a free guide of Egypt which includes simple words, sentences; the culture, the rules of the land, places of interest, etc - well worth looking through at the start of your trip. Cannot say enough nice things about the place - in fact I'm off to book my next holiday there now."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of September 2006

superb

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"my wife and i went here for a 7 nite stay, i must admit it was one of the best times we ever had. the food is great with plenty to choose from. theres plenty of resturants about the resort itself. they are doing a lot of work around hurgada itself but this does not affect you at all. all the staff are very helpful and friendly. they all speak good english. the rooms are very spacious and comfy. cant really complain about anything . we will be going back to this hotel again. asap."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of September 2006

Not for lovers of food and drinkable wine.

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"Profile; Four adults mid forties going to Egypt for some fine wine and good food. Physically the hotel looks great on the photos, it does have a fantastic cool swimming pool, good size rooms and friendly staff. The problems with the hotel is that it suffers from German occupation and it can be very difficult to get a sunbed. The water in the room is slightly brown and stains your clothes. The inclusive hotel food is not five star and the only drinkable bottle of red wine is "chataue de rives" at 25 Euros a bottle. The rest of the awful white wines and beers are all luke warm and expensive for the quality. Having said this don't bother leaving the hotel in search of better wine it deos not exist in Egypt. In terms of good food the only thing to do is spend money to get it. The following are great resturants,: Maximes, Mumbai, Raddicio inside the resort and Heavens Bistro in Sikali or Captains Inn in El Goona. If you are not bothered about food, drinking alcohol and sitting on the toilet for two weeks, then the Grand resort is fine. Finally, I spoke to one German who said he has been three times in a row and every year the price goes up by 50%. In summary you can get better value elswhere. Regards F. Pellit."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of September 2006

Fab

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"Have just returned from this fabulous hotel. Just the best holiday we have had with my partner and his two kids (15 & 12). Booked through the My Travel website for under 2500 HB for the four of us with the kids having their own room. The drinks at the hotel ARE a lot dearer than outside, 12 egyptian pounds for a bottle of water, 2 in the mall, sure they made a mistake, but we only got charged 400 by the hotel for the two weeks.
The staff are lovely, special mention for the guys round the pool who do ask if you want drinks quite often, but are so nice and such a good laugh.
Also, animation team on the Mall are just the most professional outfit we've seen and again are just lovely people.
Rooms are practically soundproof, but if you want p & q make sure you get a room by the big pool, as the other pool plays LOUD music all day.
Only disappointment for us was there is no snorkelling straight from the beach. So had to book to go on snorkelling trips. Sharm El Naga being much better than Giftun Island (far too crowded). Giftun cost 11 pp through El Joker across the street whereas rep charges 28 pp.
Beach is not crowded at all but sand is hot hot hot.
Spent most of our time round the lovely big pool, your pretty safe getting a sunbed up until 9am. After that you may have trouble.
Would highly recommend this hotel. Rooms are lovely, staff are great."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of September 2006

second visit to a great hotel.

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"First vsited in february 2005 with my daughter, had a great timeand enjoyed the hot sunny weather even though it was chilly at night.
Went back july 2006 with my partner. First time ever that I have returned to the same hotel, but felt that it was such good value for money that it was worth a return visit. Staff are so friendly and polite. Rooms are large and very clean. food has improved and now caters for theEnglish palate, but if you get fed up the Hard rock cafe is just a few yards away and is mega cheap. Visit the jazz bar in the grand Mall. small tips ensure very strong drinks at cheap prices. The beach always has loads of space whatever the time of day and drinks are brought to your sunbed. The pools are fabulous but sunbeds are reserved early. we used to spend our day on the beach and then have a swim in the pool on the way back to the room. if you want a cheap holiday in a high class hotel with lots of sunshine then you can't go wrong."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of August 2006

Visit it now!!

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"We have just returned from a week at The Grand Resort in Hurghada and I would highly recommend it. Contrary to other reviews we felt that the staff were attentive rather than pushy, if you dont want poolside drinks, you just say "no thanks" and they are quite happy and go. Quality and efficiency was evident throughout the hotel, from the bellboy to poolside attendants to the room cleaners and waiters. We went for a last minute break and we felt that the Grand Resort gave great value for money for a 5 star resort. The choice of restaurants for half board basis was some of the best we have seen for a weeks holiday, the quality of the food was very impressive, from stir fry's made to order to local fish dishes,and there was the choice of an a la carte also (part half board, part payable). The atmosphere was excellent for both couples wanting a quieter holiday to families as the staff were really good with the kids.
An excellent choice!"

• Travel date: Fri 11th of August 2006

Amazing hotel and amazing cruise

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"What an amazing hotel!! The building is amazing the reception is huge! Expect to get lost!! The rooms are lovely. There are two room services a day and a beach bag and towels are supplied. Most staff are friendly, and the reception can be busy sometimes but we had to change rooms because of a small ant problem but they moved us straight away. The pool boys will be constantly asking you if you want a drink but just say no thank you and 99% of the time they will leave you alone. BEWARE if the shops across the road to the left….the third shop down a crazy man owns it and trys to give you free gifts and all sorts, he caught us on our first night and had us there for ages!! A different rule applies to ignoring shop owners… our tour guide gave us a great tip (and this applies to annoying people trying to sell you stuff on the streets too) give them the camels hump!! Don’t even say no thank you because this is starting a conversation with them just shake your head and walk away!! Sounds harsh but you will be thankful!! The hotel pools and restaurants are lovely the drink is expensive so a lot of people go and get drinks from the supermarkets out the front in the grand mall….but red sea resorts have a policy not allowing you to bring food and drink into the hotel, and believe me they search your bags! There is a way around it though. Take your complimentary beach bag and towels with you to the shop and wrap drinks in towels when they search your bag…no drinks!!

We stayed here for 3 nights then onto a Nile cruise for a week, and then back to the hotel for 4 nights. We went on Grand suntimes, an all inclusive cruise ship owned by same company as hotel. It was amazing even better than the hotel. The rooms were amazing, the food was amazing, the staff were amazing!! The people who clean your rooms also clean them twice a day and they leave funny towel shapes, different every time! The sites we saw were amazing, if you go to Egypt I would highly recommend a cruise, you learn about the real Egypt and see so much in a week! I would say go in low season though (June-august) it is hot but no queues for the temples and our tour guide informed us the queues are mega in peak season.

The holiday was amazing better than we could have ever hoped for and red sea resorts is a definite must!!"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

food poisoning

Reviewed Wed 27th of July 2011

" returned from this hotel and resort on the 24 th of june 2011 . a week in a 5 star all inclusive ( HA HA HA HA HA ) 3 star and certainly not all inclusive ,although the junior suite was spacious ,clean and comfortable , it was dated and towels ,bedding were far from new. the all inc has just started at this hotel only 20% of guests were all inc . this caused total confusion for all especially the staff!!!!!!!!!!!! ,some bars and resteraunts for all inc but most for half board ,first time i have felt like a second class citizien for being all inc . the main eating area christened the canteen was mayhem ,wait for table ,wait for cutlery ,wait for drink ,which depending what you were drinking might be all inc or may not more mayhem . the food was not covered so flies were everywhere ,not fresh juice,one bread area with one toaster . the other areas for lunch had little choice . as my wife and i only ate on the resort this is where our nightmare began ,thursday morning both of us taking turns on loo for three hours ,i decided to call for a doctor who took us to RED SEA HOSPITAL where we spent the whole day on drips and bombarded with antibiotics ,one am the following morning we returned to hotel without our passports which the hospital kept till the insurance agreed to pay the bill . (do not let them do this , it is illegal ) gastro enteritis was the outcome ,stool samples came back clear, HOW I DONT KNOW , THEY NEVER TESTED ANY !!!!! i believe this was to protect the hotel . the red sea rep (sammi) was of no help what so ever . a visit to my own doctor on retuning home and samples been checked plus blood tests , a suspected salmonella case and a month later due to the amount of antibiotics given to me i now have c- dif ,
WILL I RETURN NOT A CHANCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of July 2011

Hotels near The Grand Resort Hurghada

Stayed at The Grand Resort Hurghada? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for The Grand Resort Hurghada

• Emw by Emw

"Eat at another hotel, there are many to choose from. "

The Grand Resort Hurghada is also called