SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort Pool

• tv rtr planeta russia
  • adult pool
  • water park

Good

1st time but won't be the last!

Reviewed 9th June 2014

"Have been unsure about holidaying in Egypt for a long time but after a lot of research & some really helpful reviews/ forum posts we settled on the SRM. We printed & filled in our Visas beforehand and paid at the bank as recommended which saved time and some money. I have to say the airport isn't a pleasant experience but you're not there long. We stayed in room 36308 (we had requested this block beforehand as advised on the forum) and were not disappointed. It was a family room and they really are huge! As is the walk in shower. It was very clean and the level of cleanliness did not falter during our stay. Our mini bar was topped up with soft drinks as well as water every day which was lovely. Every one raves about the Entertainment team and it's easy to see why. Even if you're not really in to the activities like ourselves they always had time to stop and chat and you felt they were genuinely interested. Our definite favorites were Gazal (hugely talented Lute player) and Marley who is permanently happy. Natalie the only English member was really helpful also. The pools were all gorgeous and very refreshing in temperatures of about 36c, my only criticism here is that the slide pool never seemed as clean as the other pools. There was often a gungy film on the top. It may have been a problem with the filter though. The other problem was that the soap dispensers in the pool toilets were often empty and in such a busy environment where bugs can spread easily it's imperative to keep this full. I did bring this to the cleaners attention. The staff all around the hotel are outstanding!!!! They are what helped to make it such a special holiday. A special mention to Ahmed in the Mexican who was a super star! My little boy and I cried when we had to say goodbye. The Egyptians really are such good people and work ridiculously hard. Most of them are working to send money home to their parents or wives and the odd tip to them makes a huge difference. We tipped whom we wanted to every couple of days 1 or 2 dollars. The sea was lovely and warm, make sure you take your snorkels as it's just an amazing experience. We took a couple of rolls from the restaurant one day and the fish were eating the bread from our fingers. Our youngest son was over the moon to see Nemo and Dory! One of the best things about the hotel are the dining options. We chose to eat in the Mexican every morning which is a lot quieter and smaller than the main restaurant, and then lunch we would go to the Around the World (again a lot quieter) or get freshly cooked pizzas from by the slide pool. Yummy!! We got in to the habit of booking every morning for 3 nights ahead in one of the A la Carte restaurants and because of this only needed to eat in the main restaurant once. It's very busy in there and as it's so large it would take so long to select our dinner by which time some bits may be cold or others in the family had already finished. It is however all of high quality. The A la Carte restaurants are: Mexican, Meditteranean, Greek (fish), Italian, Asian, Bedouin and T.Bones (steak). We loved them all and had different favorites each, the Asian was very popular with my hubby and eldest son. It really was super to have the choice and we know from other holidays that eating in a main restaurant every night can become a little monotonous. We had a day trip to Luxor booked through Hurghada Tourist Services (before we left home) and I would highly recommend this company. It was a very long/ hot day but well worth doing and our 2 boys aged 9 and 13 coped really well with it. I possibly wouldn't advise taking children younger than 9 years. It is a lot hotter in Luxor and climbing up the tombs in 40c heat was quite hard going. Definitely made worthwhile by seeing King Tutunkhamuns Mummy though. Back to the Sunrise and would like to sum up by saying it was a fantastic holiday. The management really do care that you're having a good time and want your holiday to be perfect which it was. Thank you for a wonderful holiday. We feel that we don't need to look for anywhere else when we return to Egypt and that's a first for us as we like to try different places. We'll be back!!"

• Travel date: 8th June 2014

2nd Visit, even better than the 1st!!

Reviewed 8th July 2012

"We stayed here June 15th-29th (our daughter and boyfriend stayed 8th-22nd June). Yet again a near perfect 2 weeks at Sunrise. There isn't much I can add to what has been said by many other guests, but thought I would give you our opions, and would like to thank a many staff who made our stay so brilliant. My wife has an eating allergy (Coeliacs) which means she cannot eat wheat or gluten, which can be a problem in England when eating out never mind when in a different country, but we took a translation card and the staff in all the a la cartes were fantastic and she ate with confidence (and was never ill)! Breakfast - We ate at the delila (formally atw) and were greeted by Mohammad smiling as ever, I would like to thank Sayd for his omelettes, pancakes and his fantastic personality. Also, ayman and omran for making sure our drinks were always full and their cheerful approach. Lunch - We braved the main restaurant once during our stay (far too hectic for us), and ate either in the Delila or pergula, far more relaxed. Evening Meal - We ate at 4 of the a la cartes, these being Mexican (4 visits), Asian (3 visits), Delila (3 Visits) T-Bones (2 visits) and Bedouin(once), The service was fantastic at all,(although we didn't have such a good time at the Bedouin). I would like thank Nesma and Hatem from the mexican who looked after us very well. We spent our days at the main pool (near the Delila) and would like to say a special thanks to Mohammad at the swim up pool bar, great guy! Also, the guys who worked around the pool in such high temperatures were so hard working, polite and always willing to chat, please chat to them and make their day go easier, Nagy, Haytham and Mahmoud will always look after you. Not to mention Abdo who returned on our last day! The animation team were fantastic, unfortunately the finished their contract on our last day and I would like to wish them all well, especially Patrick and Mido. Our room was always clean and tidy thanks to our room guy. The reception and lobby bar staff are a credit to the hotel and always there to help. Say hello to Bassam and Asraf if you enjoy a drink in the lobby bar. The staff work long hard (hot) hours but almost always will smile and chat with you. Last but not Least, our Thomas Cook rep Mohammad is Fantastic, he works so hard and always on hand to any request you may need, he is a credit to Thomas Cook! If you book this hotel please go with an open mind and remember wherever you go on holiday you are there to relax and enjoy!! (please don't go around trying to find faults because wherever you go if you want to find faults you will, no where is perfect!)"

• Travel date: 8th July 2012

The Pat Butcher (RIP) of hotels

Reviewed 12th March 2012

"Throughout our week’s stay this hotel grew on me like a bothersome TV soap battleaxe; frustrating at times yet ultimately charming. Sunrise Royal is the Pat Butcher (RIP) of hotels. Never going to set the world alight, but would rarely let you down. My partner and I enquired about the hotel at Thomas Cook, but then booked at a cheaper rate through a less reputable operator. This proved to be more trouble than it was worth as we were never quite sure who our transfers were with, what lines to queue in or who our rep was. Never before had I wished so much for the backing of Thomas Cook. I longed for a northern, stocky British woman in an aqua uniform to brief us on hotel protocol. Instead, we turned up to our welcome meeting to be met only by a sun-ravaged senior citizen slipping over in a small child’s pool of vomit. Don’t get me wrong, it was a holiday highlight, but it wasn’t the most convivial hotel greeting breakfast I’ve ever attended. Our rep never showed so we had to comprehend the place for ourselves. No mean feat when the complex sprawls larger than a small country. However, we were still buzzing from the fact we shared our cramped flight with none other than Christine and Neil Hamilton (of political and reality TV obscurity) – so, naturally, this spurred us on. Our room was dated, but clean (apart from the intriguing stain on the chaise lounge). There were three light bulbs out, we had twin beds instead of the requested double, and the fridge (affectionately stocked with bottles of fizzy pop and water) smelled faintly of fish. Nevertheless, it was roomy, had a pleasant balcony, and the colony of large ants living in the bathroom seemed friendly enough. As you’ve no doubt deciphered, there are different levels of all-inclusive at the Sunrise Royal. We had the lite (silver, basic, standard, average, regular) all-inclusive package and so had to eat dinner in the main buffet restaurant or ‘the hall of slop’ as we tenderly renamed it. The food in here isn’t great. If they took away the menu cards next to each dish, I defy anybody to know exactly what it was they were shovelling on to their plate. Not that it helped knowing what it was, to be honest. We ended up living off their array of eccentric yet tasty breads. You really can’t knock their culinary creativity, though. After realising the weird and wacky deserts weren’t well received, they reinvented them the next night but sticking cereal to the sides of them. There was the bran flake chocolate cake, the sugar puff slop, and - our favourite - the golden nugget coconut sponge. Beware of the strawberries too; they crop up everywhere. I mean, I like strawberries as much as the next guy, but I draw the line when they’re floating around in my beef stroganoff. Nonetheless, it’s not all doom and hungry gloom. There was always fresh pasta available and sometimes a fresh Egyptian kebab too. Breakfast is okay, but the lack of bacon riled me. Eggs galore but not a rasher of bacon in sight. Incidentally, the toaster was very temperamental. It sometimes took two or three reinsertions of the bread before it was nicely golden. This didn’t bother me but I know some people took it to heart. I quite enjoyed the guessing game of how many times I’d have to feed the toaster each morning. My record was four. The grounds are extensive, and very well looked after. Our block was well out of the way and yet still only a short stroll from the beach and pools. There was some renovation work going on but they were extremely safety conscious the whole time. If anything, with the way some kids were behaving, I’m pretty sure some of the parents were ruing the health & safety set-up, instead wishing there would be an ‘unfortunate accident’ involving the heavy machinery and their little monster. I’ve never seen such expansive swimming pools. I found them to be slightly over-whelming and intimidating at times (I think the strawberry-induced slop was getting to me at this point). Nevertheless, the joke was on them as most were icy cold and no one swam in them. Three of the smaller pools were nicely hearted and found themselves to be most popular. The beach wasn’t the most customary of sandy paradises. It is crammed full of sun beds and feels a little ‘false’ in comparison to the layout at neighbouring hotels. It did however mean that there was never any trouble securing a spot for the day, so every cloud. The sea was clear and most inviting until the 4th day when jellyfish decided to invade. They were everywhere. They didn’t deter most people, but I certainly wasn’t going to risk a cheeky sting from the pesky translucent floaters, so I avoided the sea like you’d shun a naughty dog that had just concluded its business on a new carpet. It was a real shame. I was most enjoying my snorkelling escapades up until this point. I was the Pied Piper of the sea, supplying surplus bread rolls to the copious colourful sea life. We upgraded on our last night to eat in the Asian à la carte restaurant. This was $40 well spent. The food was delectable in comparison to the main buffet and the service was much improved. On top of all this, I learnt how to use chopsticks. We’ll never forgive ourselves for not trying the other à la cartes. Never. Staff, on the whole, are rather pleasant. The beach salesman are irritating but harmless. I say they’re irritating, but if you’re into parasailing while being massaged and having a henna tattoo scrawled across your face, then you might enjoy their company. The staff certainly like the females too. I was nicknamed ‘Mr Lucky’ in an indirect compliment to my partner. I wouldn’t mind, but she’s really not that good looking. On the whole I’d say this is a great hotel for a week of winter sun. My main gripe, after all, was a distinct lack of bacon, so it can’t be that bad, can it? "

• Travel date: 8th March 2012

Our Fantastic Belated Honeymoon at the Sunrise Select Royal Makadi Resort

Reviewed 23rd January 2012

"Our Honeymoon and 3rd Great Holiday at the Sunrise!!! We recently returned from our belated honeymoon at the Sunrise Select Royal Makadi Resort, Makadi Bay, Hurghada, in Egypt. We spent 10 days there from the 1st to the 11th of November. What a fantastic holiday we had, our best ever! We were treated like VIP’s from the moment we arrived to our departure back to the Airport. After our 2 previous holidays here in 2009 and 2010, there really was no contest when it came to deciding the destination for our honeymoon and holiday. This big hotel offers us everything we want from a holiday and more. Clean, comfortable bedrooms, lots of pools to choose from, 3 with swim-up bars, a large buffet restaurant and a total of 7 A La Carte Restaurants offering wonderful meals and service! On top of all its other facilities, this hotels’ crowning glory is its staff…what a fantastic, polite, friendly and hardworking set of people they are From the General Manager, Mr Sami Kaplanki , his management team, down to the army of cleaners, gardeners, laundry, maintenance, entertainment, kitchen, restaurant and bar staff, security personnel, reception etc., all are approachable and very keen to please and ensure you have a very enjoyable stay. On arrival at the hotel with 2 other couples, we were quickly assigned our room by the friendlyreception staff. One difference at this hotel compared to most other All Inclusive’s is that you don’t have to wear a wristband which is nice. Instead you are given electronic cards which operate your door lock and most of the electrical functions in your room. It also doubles as your ID in the hotel but the staff has an uncanny memory for faces and you usually never need to show it. Most of the rooms in the hotel are located in 2 and 3 story blocks spread over a large area of the complex. The grounds are very well tended with grassed areas and many colourful plants and shrubs. You are never more than a nice 5 minute stroll from any of the hotel’s facilities and amenities however. We had been given a nice 2nd floor room in which to celebrate our honeymoon and we were extremely pleased with it. It had a very large bed and lots of storage space. A nice large bathroom with a lovely walk in shower room with probably the best shower we have ever used. The large balcony overlooked one of the family pools, and had a lovely view of the complex. Our room had a good digital safe, again free of charge, a small fridge which was loaded with soft drinks and bottled water, a tv with lots of channels but only the BBC News in English, an hairdryer in the bathroom, 3 telephones, and good air conditioning. As well as being essential during the day to keep the room cool, it was also nice in the evenings (In early to mid November) to be able to warm up the room as most nights were quite breezy and cool once the sun had gone down and darkness fell. Temperatures during the day were nice and hot (Low 30’s) and perfect for sun bathing. I would recommend to any one holidaying here during the winter season to take along some warmer clothes for the evenings as the breeze can be quite chilly at times. Our Room Attendant, a guy called Mohamed Said, kept our room spotless and nothing was too much trouble for him. The towels were changed daily and the bed linen regularly. I think there are about 6 swimming pools at this hotel plus a small paddling pool area at each of the 2 Family Pools. The pools which are unheated in winter are too cold for all but the toughest of swimmers to bear in winter but the sports pool and a small pool near the Main Pool are heated and these were very popular. The Family Pool 1, the one with the big slides and swim up pool bar isn’t heated but we did give it a try but didn’t last too long! Fortunately while we were there, the smaller Family Pool 2 was heated for the first time and it was lovely and warm. We spent the majority of our days by this pool and it also has a nice swim up pool bar. The bar captain there, Nazmy, gave us great service and the Pool Attendant/ towel guy called Abdo was a fantastic character keeping us entertained every day with his friendly banter and huge smile. He kept his area round the pools very clean and tidy. He was popular with all the guests, young and old, and we hope he is still there when we return again in the near future. We did see lots of cleaning and maintenance work taking place at all the pools while we were there. A lot of this takes place very early in the morning and late at night, sometimes through the night and of course goes unseen by the majority of guests. We saw samples of the pool water being taken regularly by the engineers for quality analysis and monitoring purposes. We used to have a late afternoon stroll down to the pool at the VIP/Entitled Guest Area where our friend Saleh, the Bar Captain, would serve us our cocktails while we relaxed looking out over the beach and sea. It was a nice place to be as the sun went down. All the pools have lots of sun beds available and we never had a problem finding one. You are provided with towel cards which you exchange on a daily basis for big beach towels so no need to take your own! Restaurants There are now 7 A La Carte Restaurants at this hotel and you can book one every night of your holiday if you want. These offer a great dining experience with fantastic meals and service to match. Our evenings here were the highlights of our holiday. Our favourites were the Dalila/ Mediterranean, Asian, and especially the new Mexican. On our first night back at the hotel, our friend Ayman Elrefayu, a waiter in the Dalila/Greek Fish Restaurant had remembered which was our favourite table from our previous visits and had prepared it with a heart made from flower petals to celebrate our honeymoon. After a lovely meal in the romantic setting, a large group of the waiters and chefs appeared round our table clapping and singing to celebrate with us and got us up to dance with them, a very special occasion and one we will always treasure, thank you Ayman and the rest of the guys in there. The Asian is also a very nice restaurant with a lovely authentic atmosphere, and again superb Chinese, Indian and Thai cuisine and service. You also get the bonus of seeing the Tepenyaki chef at work displaying his great skills as he prepares speciality meals for guests. It was pretty spectacular at times as flames rose to the ceiling from his hotplate, all intentional of course! We also enjoyed our meals at the T-Bones Steak House and the Italian Restaurant which again had a really authentic Italian atmosphere and was nice and cosy. The real highlight for us though, was the Mexican Restaurant. This really was a nice place to spend the evening and we always went to the later sitting. We had seen photos of the interior from when it first opened but they didn’t do it justice. The decor was lovely, the lighting just right and Mexican style music played quietly in the background. The service and food in here was absolutely superb and we dined in here on 3 occasions we enjoyed it so much! The Chef, Ahmed Salem Mansiur came out to speak to us on each occasion to ask if we had enjoyed our meal and have a little chat. We have never met a more enthusiastic chef whose attention to detail with cleanliness, hygiene and the meals he prepared was amazing. Such a nice man too. We had great service from all the waiters in there but especially Ahmed Ibrahim Mahmoud Minio and Hatem the Assistant Manager; nothing was too much trouble for them. There is also a very large buffet restaurant where the majority of guests seem to take their breakfast, lunch and evening dinners. We never used it on this holiday but on previous visits found it to have a vast selection of food on offer and always found something to our liking. It did however get pretty busy and hectic at peak times. We had breakfast every morning in the Around the World Restaurant which faces on to the beach and is lovely in the morning as the sun comes up over the Red Sea. Being early risers we were usually one of the first people in when the doors opened at 7am. We’ve always enjoyed the relative peace and quiet in there compared to the Main restaurant at breakfast. All though nowhere near as big a selection of foods as the main buffet, it was fine for us and we had nice omelettes cooked freshly by Mohamed, natural yogurt, cereals, orange juice, toast and as much coffee as we could drink. This was served to us by the young waiter Mohamed Farag who really looked after us well during breakfast. The Assistant Manager in the ATW at breakfast time, a guy called Mohamed Tawfik, who we remembered from the Asian Restaurant the previous year, also did a great job making sure everything was running smoothly and doing his bit to keep the place clean and tidy. Air conditioning has been installed in the ATW/Dalila Restaurant since our previous visit, a definite plus during the heat of the summer season here. The Dalila/ATW Manager, Mustafa went on vacation a couple of days after we arrived, but we did have chance to have a couple of chats with him. He is a lovely guy, very courteous and respectful and it was nice to see him again. For lunch every day we went over to the T-Bones Restaurant where they serve a selection of made to order pizza, steak ,burgers, hot dogs, liver (fortunately this was only served once in the time we was there ) and chips. There was also salad, fruit and a few other items to choose from. We enjoyed everything but the liver . It was lovely to sit in the shade from the mid-day sun with a nice breeze to keep you cool. Our friend Islam Ibrahim always came over from his bar to serve us our favourite cocktails (Non-alcoholic during the day, for us) One of the things we like about the SRMR is that we are free to do whatever we like. We just go to basically chill out and do little else but sunbathe, rest, eat and drink…all in moderation of course There are loads of organised activities arranged every day by the Animation Team Leader Mustafa Patrick and his guys. We came across this guy on a few occasions and he really is a larger than life character, very enthusiastic and always letting you know what was going on. We didn’t see a great deal of the night time entertainment except one night when we went down to the Beach Party and spent some time there. Everyone seemed to be having a great time and really enjoying themselves with a live band on the stage. The Night Manager Mr Salah Mahdy is another of this hotel’s really good managers. Even tho he is one of the busiest people in the hotel, he always made time for a quick chat whenever we saw him. One of the tests of a hotel’s popularity is its number of repeat guests. Friends of ours have visited the hotel on 13 occasions, and they have met people who have returned to the SRMR for 27 visits! Real proof that the hotel is getting most things right! We ourselves have been 3 times, already, booked again for next spring and again in the late summer. Many other guests are returning year after year. Even on our first visit we settled in quickly and found the staff to be exceptionally good. Treat them with respect, dignity and good manners and the service you receive from them will be repaid many times over. "

• Travel date: 21st January 2012

Wouldn't recommend...

Reviewed 14th July 2011

"We booked this holiday last minute having been recommended it by a friend. On arrival we were pleased with the appearance of the resort and with our room, which was spacious and comfortable. The pool areas were large with plenty of sun beds and were very pleasant. We thought the beach was a little dirty and were unable to get a bed on there until later on in the day. There was no coral/fish to be seen when snorkelling from our section of the beach, however you can walk to the hotel next door (Fort Arabesque) and snorkel from their beach where the coral and fish are amazing - you cannot however leave anything on their beach, even towel or shoes, as its private. We got very ill on the 4th day of our holiday (Delhi belly) and did not get any better. From the look of the communal toilets we weren't the only ones. Quality of breakfast and lunch was poor, the main buffet restaurant is huge with lots of choice and there are poolside snack bars for lunch doing pizza, burger, chips etc. We saw one chef at the poolside snack bar putting out raw chicken burgers to cook then handling cooked burgers and buns without washing his hands, so I suppose it’s no surprise we were ill. The quality of the a la carte restaurants was very good (Asian, Bedouin, Italian, steakhouse, Mediterranean) and a new Mexican a la carte is apparently due to open soon. Be prepared to be hassled around the pool by people trying to sell massage, snorkelling, safari etc. More persistent at the beginning of the holiday when they can tell you’re new! You can get a red flag from the towel huts which is meant to stop them bothering you, and worked most of the time. We did the Luxor trip which was great; we visited the Valley of the Kings, Karnack Temple, Memnon Colossi and the Nile. It was HOT in Luxor though and the harassment from sellers was on another level! You had to be careful when taking photos as men would approach and offer to take them for you or try to get into the photos then ask for tips, or would try and show you things or lead you off and ask for tips. This made it a little hard to relax and enjoy the trip fully. The hotel is very attractive and set in lovely grounds with great swimming pools and friendly staff. It was lovely to walk around in the evening when it was all lit up. However the beach was small and disappointing, the food generally not up to the standard we expected of a 5 star hotel and being ill and harassed whilst on the complex put a bit of a dampener on the holiday which is why we would not recommend this hotel or Hurghada. "

• Travel date: 11th July 2011

Our 3rd visit, still an excellent hotel and staff...

Reviewed 12th July 2011

"The cleanliness of the complex is fantastic. The staff are great too. You always get hello whether it be morning or evening. Nothing is never too much trouble for them. You feel like its home from home!!! The complex is spread out so you can't tell it has over 600 rooms. It is on an all inclusive basis. You get a variety of nationalities to the hotel and different age ranges. The hotel is about 30 - 40 minutes from the airport by coach. This hotel is directly on the beach. It is sand and pebbly towards the sea. I would recommend that you have shoes to go into the sea. You are located in Makadi Bay which you can walk around the bay if you wanted to explore. There are shops, restaurants, bars also around the bay if you wanted to explore the local food outside the hotel. It is about 20 -30 minutes walk to the resort centre. On the complex there are a few shops but sometimes slightly more expensive than the shops in Makadi Bay. You can go into Hurghada by shuttle bus from the hotel this is run on set times. The price is approx 7 egyptian per person each way or you can pre-book a taxi at the hotel. Diving is available. There is a padi centre just outside the hotel. You can pre-book excursions these include day to luxor or overnight in luxor, scuba diving, quad biking, submarine and many more. The staff are very friendly and can not do enough for you! They are always trying to help you and make sure you are happy. All of the staff can speak english some better than others but they can still understand you if you speak slowly to them. It is the staff that make your stay special and they give this hotel the special atmosphere. A few members of staff to mention Mohamed in guest services, Mostafa in Pegola bar, Aymen the head chef and the list goes on. Your rooms get cleaned everyday with fresh towels if wanted. We didn't want clean towels everyday to help protect the environment. There is a laundry service available but I never used it. Doctor and Clinic on site but again I never had to use them. I did hear that people that had used the doctor/clinic they was very happy with the service provided. All of the bars, restaurants are always clean and tidy. There are 5 bars throughout the complex. There are 2 main buffet restaurants which has a variety of foods to choose from i.e pasta, meats, salads, vegetables, potatoes, rices, breads, soups and much more. You also get a few desserts to choose from too. These restaurants are self service. There are 3 a la carte restaurants which are Mediterranean, Italian and Asian, these are all waiter service. Again you get a variety of food to choose from, from the menu. I liked all the 3 a la cartes but my favourite restaurant was the Asian, it is chinese cuisine. You need to make reservations for these restaurants. They have started to use some of the international brands for spirits if you prefer these to the local brands. There is frequent daytime and evening entertainment, this varies on a daily basis. Other activities include beach volleyball, billiards, table tennis, waterpolo, tennis and football. Activites are displayed on a daily basis at the animation centre. Kids club is available with Thomas Cook. No children so facility wasn't used. There are 5 free form swimming pools (2 heated in winter). The staff around the pool and beach are always making sure that the area is clean and tidy. The sunbeds are comfy and towels are provided free of charge whether you are on the beach or pool area. We had a family room in the block overlooking the children's pool. These rooms are very large and spacious. The room had a large balcony with table and two chairs to sit and relax on. In the room there was 2 bedrooms which was excellent because everyone got there own space. Seperate tv's are in both bedrooms. Both rooms have got air conditioning units in them which are self controlled. If you wanted to put the children to bed before you that would be possible due to being a door to close the room off. No coffee/tea making facilities so if needed you would need to take your own. There is a safe in the room which is free of charge to use. Mini bar is available and is filled daily with water, soda is also available but only filled up once per week. Bathroom is all marble and very spacious. It has a large shower area accompanied with wash basin and toilet. An excellent hotel and would recommend to anyone!!! This was our 3rd visit to the hotel and won't be our last...... "

• Travel date: 8th July 2011

What a great holiday!

Reviewed 23rd February 2011

"we spent two weeks in this hotel in january 2011 and i would recommend it, The food was very good in the main resturant but what was even better was the 3 alacarte restuarants. We spent most of our evenings in these and the food and service was excellent. The hotel was very clean as was the area round the pools and beach They have some great areas where you can just chill out inside the hotel and out.The only one downside was it was full of russians who seem hell bent on eating and drinking as much as possible and photographing all the food in the dining room with no manners what so ever?Having said that luckily they did not bother us but it was a case of try and find the british as we were few and far between.As i said the hotel and staff are great so this made up for the invasion and i also believe that it made a change for the egyptians to serve people( ie british ) with manners,All in all a great hoilday. "

• Travel date: 22nd February 2011

Fantastic family holiday hotel.

Reviewed 6th October 2010

"The Sunrise Royal Makadi is a great hotel for families with children of all ages. Lots of different pools, amazing restaurants and very friendly service. Two families combined for this great trip, the twelve and fourteen year old boys especially loved: The waterpark trips, the quad biking, the pool complex. We all loved the diving, snorkelling, wind surfing. Great riding opportunity gallops along the beach and across the desert available from the hotel. Very interesting purpose built stables owned by Egyptian horse lover. "SeaHorse Stables." (Bought the coffee table book by equine photographer Christine Slawik. featuring some of the horses you will actually see and ride. "Horse: A Portrait." We had no complaints and really recommend this destination."

• Travel date: 5th October 2010

Reviewed 15th March 2010

"Went on 5th Feb, what can i say the food was fist class, the rooms ok not your normal 5 star but we could not fault them, the service was excellant, the staff where very good if you take the time to talk them they will look after you for the rest of your holiday never had to go to the bar the bar came to me, i would go there again tomorrow if i could, dont be put off by the comments on here the amount that go you cant please very one. "

• Travel date: 14th March 2010

medical alert

Reviewed 2nd June 2009

"The holiday and resort were both fine up until the last day when my 6 year old daughter became ill with a fever. She was seen in A&E immediately on return to the UK later that day. To cut a long and messy story short, she was confirmed on return to the UK with Salmonela food poisoning. We have complained formally to T. Cook and as yet they have failed to investigate our complaint. My daughter is vegitarian, so ate no meat at the resort, we only ate at the resort during the whole of our week long stay and only drank water (brushed teeth) from sealed bottles (no ice in drinks either) Very disappointing that food hygiene standards are obviously not high on Makadi's agenda and a cautionary tale for anyone planning to travel with young children. My daughter was very ill for 7 days and did not fully recover for 2 weeks"

• Travel date: 2nd June 2009

''SUNFLIES'' Royal Makadi not 5*

Reviewed 28th May 2009

"Having spent 2 weeks at the Sunrise we fell very dissapointed and feel that we have wasted our money. ROOMS ok a bit dated could do with a lick of paint. Shower was like warm and water trickled out of shower head, had a problem with water in room 2 occassions we had none then when we did it was brown. Fridge in room noisy and not very cold. Bed comfy and huge. Balcony door lock broken a bit of a worry as we were on the lower floor. POOLS Cold when we were there but they are a plus side to this hotel. GROUNDS Tidy alway working in the gardens. RESTAURANTS Well this is the part of the holiday where it went down hill, main restaurant serves luke warm slop,the food was repetitive just had a different name. Flies were a huge problem, my husband had a dead fly in a plate of pasta then on another occassion he found a dead fly in a vinigerette bottle which was poured on his salad. The food is not covered and the flies seem quite happy buzzing around the food. Breakfast was a let down scrambled egg not cooked and cold, omelet station covered with flies it was digusting! orange juice watered down as were most of the drinks, cakes were out all day especially in the lobby and these are your snacks in the evening aswell. As for the waiters they struggled to clear and make up the tables we were finding cutlery and cups ourselves also clearing the tables so we could eat. Not a 5* service. We eventually complained to Mohamed Thomas cook rep who past us over to the hotel management who were very embarresed about the flies and booked us into the ala cart restaurants for the remainder of our holiday however we still had to eat in the main restaurant for breakfast and lunch. ALA CARTS Quite good the food was much better but we were still worried about the hygeine of the kitchens. BEACH Overcrowded with sunbeds and the sand is more like building site dust something I found hard to beleive as they have so much sand in Egypt. The sea was full of oil from the boats in the marina not a nice experience, you can get a bed in the front row on the beach there is more room at the front but you will have to camp out over night or get up at sunrise to beat the Russians and Germans as they seem to save these beds with various different items such as books flipflops bags etc. ENTERTIANMENT Was so bad it was funny I suppose they try there best. Overall this hotel is overated Thomas Cook need to take a look at it, people were being ill whilst we were there and on reading other reviews people are still being ill I would not recommend this hotel. "

• Travel date: 28th May 2009

Holiday to remember

Reviewed 26th May 2009

"Two girlfriends have just had a wonderful week in this super hotel complex. We were very impressed with the service particularly the bar staff (Ashraf in particular) and the cleanliness of the hotel, the beautiful gardens and the wonderful food. All the waiters were very attentive and made our holiday one to remember. The Bedouin Tent experience was something not to be missed. The on-site photographer was very professional and most helpful when we came to collect our photos and discovered we had ordered the wrong one. It was no trouble for them to replace it with our chosen photo for which we were extrememly grateful. The resulting photos are lovely, much admired by all our freinds. We pass our thanks on to them , and recommend their services. We also had a wonderful morning at the Spa, the body massage is not to be missed so relaxing , and de stressing we felt amazing, our two lady masseurs were very professional and a delight to meet. Jeanine & Christeen xx"

• Travel date: 22nd May 2009

Hotels near SUNRISE Royal Makadi Aqua Resort -Select-

Top traveller tips for SUNRISE Royal Makadi Aqua Resort -Select-

• by Mrs Warr

"The trip to Luxor was worth the 3 hour coach ride there and back"

• by Just the two of us

"Great hotel, Great staff."

• by john & Amanda

"go there you will love it"

• by Pauline / Berkshir

"food hygiene very poor"

• by cla

"Lovely place to holiday"

• by esad757

"Very poor, lots of building work"

SUNRISE Royal Makadi Aqua Resort -Select- is also called