Beach

Good
Good

Diarrhea for 10 days holiday nightmare 85% of guests got it!!!

Reviewed 20th June 2013

"When we Ist arrived were put into a room with no working air-con. When the temperature was 40 degrees.After the enginere tried and failed 3 times to fix it we had to pack up and move to another room. When we got there there was a toilet brush in the bathroom covered in diarrhea from the last inhabitants. I asked for it to be removed, it took 2 days for them to remove it. I asked for a new toilet brush 2 days later we got another previosly used brush. On the 3rd day of the holiday we bothngot sever diarrhea, 85% of other guests also had it, some collapsed and had to go to hospital on drips. The young man cleaning our room also had it. When I complained to our rep he said it was drinking the hotel supplied bottled sealed cold water??"

• Travel date: 17th June 2013

Diarrhea for 10 days holiday nightmare 85% of guests got it!!!

Reviewed 20th June 2013

"When we 1st arrived we were put into a room without aircon in 40 degrees heat. After letting reception know an engineer came on 3 seperate occasions but could not fix it. Next day we re -packed and moved to another room. Air con OK here, but after 3 days we both got severe diarrhea, as did 85% of the guests. A friend of ours spent 3 days in hospital on a drip after colapsing, I stayed in my room and ate nothing for 2 and a half days. When I finally emerged from the room our room cleaning young man asked me if I was OK. now? I replied that I was not fully better, but gettin there, he said 'Yes me too' and waved some diarrhea tablets he was taking. When we first went into this second room there was a toilet brush in the bathroom covered in fiecees (poo), from the last occupants. I asked for this brush to be removed and replaced with a new one, after 2 days it was taken away, and replaced 2 days later with a previously used brush, so in the intervening 2 days we had to clean the completely covered toilet, after each diarrhea use, with toilet paper and our hands. When we complained to our Thomas Cooke rep he said - its drinking cold water - please dont drink any more. I told him that as we had only consumed the sealed bottled drinking water supplied by this all inclusove hote,l did he think that the bottles ought to carry a health warning? What an insult to our inteligence!!"

• Travel date: 17th June 2013

Poor poor poor

Reviewed 2nd August 2012

"Friday Arrived late and the room hot Air con not working Saturday got up and went for breakfast Floor two warm and sweated through breakfast Went to morning meeting at 12 oclock as instructed and was told we had missed it as it was at 10 am and was told to come bak at 6 pm 6 o'clock went to the the meeting and was told the wrong paperwork was give and had a meeting with the med hotels rep� Saturday evening sweated through evening meal Saturday night went to bed to and sweated all night� Sunday woke up wet and went to breakfast and sweated as the aircon wasn't working� Sunday Lunch at the beach bar was ok Sunday evening went to 4th floor for Sunday roast dinner and the aircon had completely stopped working and the restaurant was totally un usable Sunday evening went back to the room and the aircon wasn't working and sweated all night Monday Woke up wet from a bad nights sleep � and went for breakfast on the second floor Aircon not working and ate quickly as my sweat was fallining in to my food� Diner was had at the beach bar and was good Evening meal at the alacarte restaurant and was poor to say the least. Beer came warm and cutlery was dirty� Had a few beers a the pool bar which was good but when we went back to our room to have a shower to cool down before our sweaty night with out air con to find there is no water at all in � the hotel as they have run out Tuesday � still no aircon and the restaurants are hot to say the least.tuesday evening the animation team ask me if I am having a good holiday. I reply no and this is the worst holiday we have had in twenty years and he looks genuinely concerned Within � minutes a manager comes to see me and arranges a meeting with the front of house manage at 10am� Went for a drink in the lobby bar that evening and met other disgruntled guests who want to meet the manager too We talk in the bar sweating as again the aircon isn't working Wednesday� 10 am we we meet the manager and he tells us that the problems are caused by the lack of power coming to the hotel (250 not the 340)� Ok but what about ice in one bar but not the next. The machines cannot make enough because of the lack of power! What about the power cuts and people getting stuck in he lifts? No real explanation� What about the lack of air con? Because of the lack of power the first 5 floors have a problem and the aircon will � not cool the rooms while there isn't a stable current Well what do we do? Complain to your rep and tell them you aren't happy and want to move hotels but this problem is through the whole of Egypt . This problem has been going on since the 1st July (and Thomas cook have not informed me or any of the other guests I have spoken to) Then he tells us the current is now stable and as long as it is all should be ok. So I complain to my rep and he takes the information and tells me he will get a complaint form through my door today and I need to hand it back� Ok so now we go for lunch on the second floor and you got it there's no air con and the waiters are sweating too. I go to my room and the current hasn't stayed stable and the air con is blowing hot air. I ring the reception and to be fair the front of house manager sees me straight away. I explain that the room is too hot and my wife can't sleep and this is not acceptable and I still do not have my complain form. I am then informed by the reception staff that the med hotels rep that did my welcome meeting wasn't my rep and it was the thomas cook rep. Ok who has informed him (the Thomas cook rep) and who has spoken to me to inform me? NOBODY (ANOTHER **** UP IN THIS WONDERFUL HOLIDAY ) Then a meeting is arranged for 9.15pm � with the correct rep to get this sorted. The the front of house manager then offers us a room on the 7th floor which has a different air con system that works� We take room 730 and at last after 5 days of a 14 day holiday do we have a room where the temperature is going below 30 degrees. At 10 pm the rep has still not arrived and is running late so the meeting it put to 12pm� Thursday Thursday morning we wake up to a cold room for the first time in nearly a week Breakfast is as usual a hot � room with the now predictable power cuts. I meet my rep and are asked questions about my problems and the issue with the med hotels rep and I go through them with him. He gives me two complaint forms and asks me to fill them in and meet him at 4pm. I go straight to my room and fill them in while he is still in the hotel and wait for him to finish his welcome meeting. I give him them and he says thank you but still wants to see me at 4pm and dives straight in to an set of customers who want to book some trips (make your own conclusions on that one) I return at 3.40 and wait for him. He arrives on time and again speaks to two sets of customers first who book trips !!! When we do speak he is very sorry for my problems and is going to investigate. He asks me if my room is ok now to which I say yes He asks me is there anything else he can do for me to which I say no unless � you can fix their con in the restaurants.(now we know he can't do that as its a government problem) To be fair he arranges a late check out for the inconvenienced caused to which I'm grateful. � Friday Much the same routine now� All the public indoor areas are hot because of the lack of power and frequent electricity cuts which we are told are happening all over hugarda although when I look out and we are in darkness the rest of the city is in light The fourth floor restaurant is completely unusable on and evening because it is so hot Saturday Given up on the holiday. What a waste of money. If this is happening all over the country as the management tells me then I would say steer well clear of Egypt . Sunday We decide to go out for our evening meal as Saturdays was so bad I left mine nd went and got some pasta. AT LAST !!!!! Good food� Granada 50 yards up the road from the hotel. The food was wonderful. Steak from 65 Egyptian. Wow this steak melts in my mouth. We have our meal and a drink and head of to the sweat box hotel. We meet up with some people we have met on the holiday and are told there has been at least 3 power cuts while we have been out. Strange because if this is all over the city then how come the restaurant over the road had none ??? Monday Another hot day and as I am on the beach I bump in to the hotel front of house manager who I speak with. He now tells me that they are telling the guests of the aircon problem and electricity cut out when they arrive. (wonderful I think but why hast thomas cook informed them as they could have me before we flew) Also he says that Thomas cook will not be compensating Anybody over theses oboes as it is force measure .� Mmmmm act of god or nature, un foreseen problems? What for over 4 weeks? If the place was under 10 feet of water Thomas cook wouldn't have flown us out. Make your own conclusions and book at your own peril. If you haven't flown and are able to speak to your travel company I suggest you change hotel, resort and country you are going to Tuesday Same as other days All the public areas are way too hot to sit in and socialise so we went out out to the Granada restaurant again. Again no electrical problems there but the hotel is in darkness again Friday At last we can go home This has to be the worst two week holidaying have ever had. The front of house manager asked me how was my holiday? ( as if he didn't know) I told him honesty and he then asks me if I would come back !!! I was polite and said never. He accepts this and is upset we have had a bad holiday and that from tomorrow Thomas cook would be compensating people because the force measure only lasts for two weeks and started the day we arrived. ( this is not what he told me the fist meeting. He then told me it had been going on since the 1st of July because one of the guest's in that meeting had been here since that date and was on a 3 week holiday.) � In the airport while we were waiting to check our baggage in a lady came up to us and asked us if we wanted extra leg room at only £10 per person which we accepted as I am 6 foot 3 When got on the plane the stewardess told us they were medical seats and not extra leg room. When we got back to Manchester and get our cases we find that the tea lock had been removed and our luggage had been tampered with. All� in all a total waste of money"

• Travel date: 30th July 2012

an excellent hotel and excellent staff.a must do hotel.

Reviewed 12th December 2011

"With it being a 1st time to hurghada,we found the sunrise hotel an absolute fantastic holiday with no bad comments at all,from check in to our newly refurbished large room,incl widescreen tv,beautiful walkin shower,excellent cleaning friendly staff.to friendly bar/beachstaff.right to the fab choice of restaurants,its the best hotel we,ve been to .the hotel is immaculate.but the best most impressive staff has got to be the animation team,absolutely the best,especially john and mando that made our hoilday complete.from beach games to showtimes on the night,they are true proffesionals and a credit to the sunrise.a definate fab management team where nothing is too much trouble.keep up the good work.will be back."

• Travel date: 11th December 2011

Sunrise 'Lock up your daughters' Holidays Resort

Reviewed 2nd October 2011

"First and last time in Egypt. Hotel nice, but only 3 star. Drinks very cheap local brands, food poor and repetative. I cannot believe how gulible some people are. The staff here are extremly shallow, always looking for tips etc. One barman, asked my 13 year old daughter if she was a virgin!! In front of me, after being told her age!!! The manager 'sacked' him, only for him to be spotted in the kitchen 2 days later.. I think this says it all. After the Dom rep and Kenya, this is a poor third. The town is horrid, with people trying to scam you constantly. I even caught a young boy attempting to pickpocket me, bold as brass. Please keep away from this place until they get their act together. I am well travelled and this is the FIRST negative review I have ever given, I cannot emphasise enough. Keep away for the sake of your wallet and your children's safety"

• Travel date: 1st October 2011

simply the best

Reviewed 5th August 2011

"from manager down to the young lad that seems to be moping everywhere you go barstaff to the brilliant animations team this hotel is great dont tell everybody as there wont be room for you or me booked already for next year and yes they all say welcome home cause thats the way it feels like one big happy family"

• Travel date: 3rd August 2011

got to go back

Reviewed 28th April 2011

"nothing to complain about.there is building work being carried out but did not cause any problems with the guests we spoke to. the animation team were brill sherif julia marco fox eddie momo gave us some wonderful evenings.you must go on the boat trips excelent value mario, sultan will look after you.our two weeks was wonderful so were the other guests. one big no no is the rip off taxi drivers, stick to the hotel taxi."

• Travel date: 28th April 2011

Hotel OK, Cleanliness is an issue

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"The rooms at this hotel were decent and were cleaned properly, however the public areas were of concern in terms of cleanliness. The holiday was blighted by 6 our of 10 of our party coming down with dioreah and sickness which I think is connected to the cleanliness. The glasses around the pool and beach area were old, scratched and did not appear to be cleaned properly. If you like entertainment this hotel will provide everything you need, however for our party it was a bit much. On the positive side he staff were polite and helpful and the beach nice. I do not think this is a 4 star hotel, it is more like a 3 star. I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone, however I feel for what we paid it was value for money. "

• Travel date: 12th November 2010

hotel has deteiriated over the last 12 months

Reviewed 20th October 2010

"stayed at this hotel last year in november then the hotel was quite good plenty of stafffood ok plenty of drinks entertainment pretty good so we thought ok lets try it again this year so we went on the 21st sept for 2 weeks what a disapointment every things changed for the poorer less staff cant get a drink in the lobby bar the restraunts are now untidy tables not cleaned always waiting for drinks the cross contamination in all the restraunts is unbelievable and if it was in this country would be definatley shut down how anyone has not got salmonela yet is beyond belief the glasses at both the pool bar and beach bar are plastic and never get washed properley the entertainment is ok if you are a 5 year old for adults theres zilch if you have got around a thousand pounds plus to spend dont bother wasting it here on this all inclusive fiasco believe me a week in spain whitewashes this place even with it now been more expensive with the euro ps dont waste ya dosh"

• Travel date: 14th October 2010

fantastic holiday

Reviewed 20th August 2010

"great staff very friendly egyptians trip to cairo and luxor amazzing dont even get me started on the quods through the desert a meal with the bedouin tribe seeing how they live then comming back through the desert on the quods in the dark no one around for miles a warm night with the warm air in your face my kind of heaven mohamid 4th floor bar staff lovely guy always smilling michael hayes thomas cook tour rep always there for you lovely food loads to drink as much as you like and the food gorgeous weather wish we were there now we were there july when the world cup was on dont rate the russians or germans to high very rude lovely hotel egypts a real eye opener especially cairo if you get the chance to go just do it the pyramids and the mummies and valley of the kings out of this world and the weather gorgeous wish i could of brought that back with us our 5 children enjoyed it especially the quods wish we were there now all the egyptian staff very friendly wonderful place"

• Travel date: 20th August 2010

Cancelled flights - yippee!

Reviewed 28th April 2010

"Just returned home from the Sunrise Holidays Resort in Hurghada (family of four, children aged 11 & 13) after an extended holiday thanks to the infamous volcanic dust cloud! This was our first Egyptian holiday and I can almost certainly say it WON’T be our last, we had a brilliant time. The hotel is clean and spacious, all the staff (& egyptians in general) very friendly & welcoming, weather 30-35 degrees every day, trips great and food superb. However, it’s the constant energy and fun-loving attitudes of the Animation Team that stands out, Eddie, Maya, Sheriff, Momo & Julia(?) who give the guests (old and young alike) reasons to smile all day long! The pool is a little small and I can imagine it can get a bit busy at peak times but the lagoon serves as a great place to swim in a safe environment and see fish, both lagoon and pool have lifeguards in attendance all day long. Keep an eye out for Lion fish in the evenings though a couple floated in on two consecutive days and it’s probably best to avoid them if pos! Hurghada itself is fine, we felt perfectly safe walking the streets, yes there’s haggling to be done but also many fixed price shops dotted about. A huge one called called ‘Cleopatra's’ about a 15 minute walk from the hotel (if you turn right out of the lobby) and is on the opposite side of the road where the roundabout/one-way system is. We bit the bullet and paid to fly to Cairo on the Thomas Cook excursion. Not the cheapest trip on offer but considering we saw the hugely impressive citadel & mosque (& panoramic view of an amazing city) - the famous Cairo museum (which included King Tut’s golden mask) - a papyrus factory - a perfume factory - lunch overlooking the Nile at The Hard Rock Cafe - oh, and a couple of pyramids and something called the Sphinx as well, it’s great value for money! Other tips: If you want a cab then agree a price first, but a one way trip to anywhere in Hurghada probably won’t cost more that about 20 Egyptian pounds. There’s a guy called ‘Friday’ who works as a gardener in the resort in the mornings but hangs around outside in his cab in the afternoons and is well worth seeking out if you need taking anywhere. Haggling, don’t engage in this (or show interest in anything) if you’re not sure you want to buy something. You can often pay only a quarter of the price that’s first asked but once you get into a conversation and start trying things on, it’s very hard to walk away empty handed! That said, I found the haggling far less intense & pressured than in The Dominican Republic, Turkey or Tunisia. Take plenty on sunscreen, snorkeling stuff and wet shoes or flippers. We also found that Egyptians are happy to take any currency you have! Euros, US Dollars or Sterling are fine if you prefer this to the Egyptian currency. However if you do want Egyptian pounds I’d personally change money in the hotel as there was a better exchange rate there than in the UK. The trips that the people around the hotel do are fine and often slightly cheaper that the Thomas Cook ones. We booked the submarine trip from the guy based at the resort and had no problems at all. A great trip for those who want to see fish without getting wet! Not claustrophobic either. The only thing that marred the holiday were a significant majority of the Russian guests. The Japanese, German, Scandinavian, Polish, French guests were great but the Russians, well, no manners, no ‘pleases’, no ‘thank you’s’, drinking from first thing in the morning to last thing at night, they’re muscle in and spoil on children’s games and even assault other guests - AND worst of all their fashion sense (and hairstyles) are ridiculous to say the least! (But don’t let this put you off!) Summing up - fantastic holiday, would recommend 100% . . . just make sure you beat the Russians to the sun beds (and save a couple for our German friends when doing so!). Oh - thanks and well done to Michael Hales the TC rep, who looked after us all AND had the ash could and cancelled flights to contend with on his first week in the job!"

• Travel date: 27th April 2010

wonderful family hol

Reviewed 29th January 2010

"we had a wonderful time at this hotel, room was very spacious and had all amenities from fridge,tv hairdryer etc,food was very good 5 places to choose from to eat each serving a wide choice of food from all over the world.the pool was very clean and big there was lots of places to sun worship and each area had a wicker cover around for privacy,there was also a lagoon which was warm and not dirty.The animation team in the hotel were very good and proveided great things to do from volleyball to belly dancing then they would put on fabulous shows each night.we did suffer a storm whilst there but we must remember this is not the staffs fault and that in egypt they do not build buildings for rain so you have to expect some damage and what damage was done was repaired the following day.I would definetly reccomend this hotel it is close to shops and bars if you get a taxi get price befor entering and try to have small notes as the driver usually does not have change "

• Travel date: 29th January 2010
  • ...

Hotels near SUNRISE Holidays Resort

Top traveller tips for SUNRISE Holidays Resort

• by Mary Gee

"Don't go!!! I'm still suffering and I've bee n back 9 days now! "

• by greeklovergill

"DEFINATLY JOIN IN WITH THE FAB ANIMATION TEAM DAYTIME SPORTS AND EVENING SHOWS."

• by prof

"chill out by the lagoon"

• by Jules

"Cleanliness is an issue"

• by watch yourself here i wouldnt send my dog

"used to be ok not anymore"

• by little steph

"fantastic place loved every bit of it"

• by kelley35

"lovely place and wonderful people"

• by G Bailey

"go to the marina, and eat at the indian, ma~sa~la first class "

• by A Vaughan

"quad biking in the dessert"

SUNRISE Holidays Resort is also called