SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

Safaga Road KM 20 Hurghada, Hurghada Egypt

Good

god,,why do the english moan so much!!

"My partner, 11yr old son and I stayed at the coral sea for 2 wks on an all-inclusive basis in august this year and we had a great time. I really cannot see how people have the cheek to complain so much for how much they paid for a holiday. .If they wanted hilton class service and such then they should of paid the hilton price and stayed there!!! We found the staff friendly and polite, always happy and with a smile on their faces. Our very large and spacious room was kept fantastically clean with clean bedding and towels for the whole stay. The pool area was kept clean with the pool being cleaned every night. (No-one got an ear infection etc why we were there..not like other hotels I have stayed at) I am a very fussy eater and I ate very well while I was there..There was a different theme every night..(chinese nites..fish nites..mexican nites etc..)but I love pasta and for lunch and dinner there was a live cooking station for pasta lovers..ME!! The choice we had was great and the puddings were to die for. The weather was HOT HOT HOT and my partner came down with a stomach complaint which was due to the heat..a few people had it but all I can say is that the 3 of us ate the same food's and my son and I was ok! The hotel has his own doctor and we were told it was a combination of the heat and dehydration. I must admit, I do not usually sweat but I was leaking from every pore! A little tip from a nurse in greece..put 1/4 teaspoon in a ltr bottle of water to replace lost salts..magic! If god forbid you do get a dodgey tummy..forget immodium..ask the hotel reception staff to get you some great tabs called ANTINAL..these will cost you about £1. A few reviews complained about children in the pool and them getting splashed..GET A LIFE!! If its peace and quiet you want, Go to the hotels private beach. Around the pool you have loud music and the entertainment staff getting you to participate in water aerobics and dancing. Regarding sunbathing,you do not need to pack heavy beach towels as these are provided daily. You each get a towel card which you give to the pool/beach towel boys and you swap back at the end of the day! The only downside is the amount of beds around the pool..Those bloody germans,dutch and russians. All you need to do is ask the towel boys nicely and they will put your towels on beds for you! Would we go again.. You bet!!"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of September 2007

Does not warrant bad reviews

"We are a family of six with four children aged 12, 12, 10 and 6. We had a thoroughly good fortnight at the Coral Sea Resort and strongly recommend it. Having read some very poor reviews regarding this hotel before leaving I have to say that I was nervous about what I might find on arrival. I am used to staying in 4 and 5* hotels and had had a particularly bad experience in Greece last year so I was very pleasantly surprised to find helpful and friendly staff, an excellent First Choice rep (Carol), very good sized rooms and a modern and clean shower room. The hotel itself is lovely with a very plush reception area. The gardens are beautifully kept with regularly pruned topiary trees and shrubs. The hotel pool was lovely with an excellent separate paddling pool. The hotel has its own private lagoon which is very pituresque. The rooms are cleaned and beds are changed every day and there is a good choice of food and restaurants and as long as guests accept that they are in Egypt and are prepared to try foods other than those which they would eat at home then they will not be disappointed. The Poseidon Restuarant near the beach serves chicken, hot dogs, burgers, fish and cheese sandwiches (all with chips) and there is also a separate A La Carte menu which is not all inclusive. The Mediterranean restaurant near the terrace is a much quieter place to eat than the busier La Palma restaurant. Both serve the same food but there is a better ambience in the Mediterrenean with a stricter dress code. This restaurant is only open for dinner though.

The entertainment in the hotel is low key so if you are looking for lots of night life then you will not find it here. This did not bother us as we spent a number of nights in Hurghada itself and enjoyed the hustle and bustle of this town. Many of the taxis are mini-buses taking up to 14 passengers and we regularly paid forty Egyptian pounds (about £4) for all six of us to travel to and from the hotel. The hotel is approx 25 minutes drive from the town centre.

There is a superb aqua park opposite the hotel at The Titanic Hotel which, although quite expensive, is well worth a visit. The children loved it there. We also went on a lovely snorkelling trip via First Choice which was excellent value for money. The Bedouin evening in the desert was fascinating but watch out for the jeep ride across the sand dunes - very bumpy!!!

I did have an upset stomach for a few days whilst staying here but this would not put me off going again. Carol is able to acquire a very good local drug which works better than Immodium. Upsets stomachs are caused by extreme heat and dehydration and NOT food poisoning. It is usual for the British to suffer in this way as we are just not used to dealing with these sorts of temperatures. You should drink at least three litres of bottled water a day. This should keep the bugs away.

None of us were burnt on this trip. The hotel pool has excellent sun loungers with large wooden parasols so there is always plenty of shade if you require it. The heat was tolerable and is dry so is easier to cope with than a humid temperature. I am very sorry that we were unable to go to visit the pyramids or the valley of the kings as the children would have not coped with the long coach journeys. However, many guests did both of these trips and thoroughly enjoyed their visits.

The staff at the hotel are generally very friendly and helpful. The Egyptians do have a more laid back attitude to life than we do but on the whole we had no major complaints about the service.

I would definitely visit this hotel again in the future and bearing in mind that we paid £500 each all inclusive to stay here for two weeks in the height of summer I think it represents excellent value for money."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of August 2007

Coral Sea Resort, Hurghada

"2 adults - 4 children

Wonderful, clean hotel - super rooms with large bathroom and plenty of storage space. Linen and towels were changed every day.

Staff could not do enough for you. especially the housekeeping and bar staff. It was the some of the other foreign guests that were rude - especially the Russians.

Carol, the First Choice Rep, was very helpful and always smiling. When not on duty she mixed and chatted to make sure the guests were ok.

The food in the main restuarant was ok and most days there was a good choice of chicken, pasta, beef, salads and pancakes. The beach restaurant at lunch times was probably the best bet for children with burger, hot dog, grilled chicken and sandwiches, all served with chips or rice.

Do be prepared for "Egyptian tummy" which most people had for a day or two. Again, Carol could get tablets for this if needed, but we were all ok without.

The entertainment was not that exciting in the evenings (the same singer every night), but the animation team worked very hard to involve children during the daytime and at night.

The pool was fair-sized with shelved ledges to get in and out. It was very cold and refreshing when you needed to cool down (which was nearly every 20 mins). Take plenty of suncream - factor 40+ for children - you will need it. Beach/pool towels are provided.

We had a trip on the glass bottomed boat to look at the coral reefs and had a chance to go snorkelling too - amazing.

You will need a visa which can be purchased on arrival at £10.00 per person.

The all-inclusive alcholic cocktails were very good!!!! The children enjoyed the non-alcoholic ones too.

All in all, we had a fantastic time, very relaxing and after returning to a wet and cold England, we cant wait to go back again.

Egypt is a lovely country and the Egyptians themselves are very friendly."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of August 2007

First holiday in Egypt

Good

"I have read other views on Coral Sea and all are different.
We are a middle aged couple and below is our opinion of our time there.

The hotel Coral Sea is a lovel hotel.
The room was lovely and clean and very spacious.
The staff could not be friendly.
There are 5 shops in the hotel and a bank and doctors clinic.
You are given free clean towels for the beach or pool every day. The only problem is there does not seem to be enough sun loungers but a tip to the pool boys helps.
The massage people ask you kost days if you would like a massage, we did but they are not to cheap.
The food was ok but not always hot.
The restuarant upstairs was alot quiter but there was not alot of choice.
The restaurant downstairs had more choice but very busy.
We did get a tummy bug which Imodium does not help. You need to go to the bell boys who will nip to the chemist for you. The tablets cost around £1. The chemist will charge you more if you go your self.
The boat trip with Aquas to Griffen Island was brillant. The crew are fantastic, the food great. £24 per person, well woth it, we went twice. Akmed is the man to see.
Carol the first choice rep was great and always at hand.
Dont tip the lands with pound coins as they can not exchange it, egyption notes are best.

The onle thing that disappointed us was no coral to snorkel around off the beach. Water was slightly murky.

A good holiday and well worth the money."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of August 2007

Does not deserve the bad reviews!!

"I have just returned from the Coral Sea in Hurghada and can guarantee is does not warrant the awful reviews it has gotten. I stayed here from the 13th July-27th and traveled with First Choice.
Reading the reviews beforehand made me quite nervous of what to expect from this hotel, but upon arrival(early evening) we were greeted in the reception with drinks and face cloths to cool ourselves off with. Our luggage was taken care of straight away and delivered to our room. The rooms were clean and and spacious and made the stay very comfortable. The air conditioning was great and very much needed!! Of all the times i have been on holiday this is the first time that a tv provided has good English channels!! The rooms were cleaned every day and could not fault it. We had a few problems with our bathroom but one phone call to maintenance and someone was there to fix it.
We were all inclusive and the food was good but after two weeks it did get a bit repetitive, I think they have set food for certain days but there was something to eat all the time and I'm quite fussy!!
As for the staff, you couldn't fault them! They were friendly, especially the shop keepers and were not at all pushy like you might expect if you go to the main town.
The pool area and grounds were kept spotlessly clean and the pool is not as cold as some other reviews mentioned! In the extreme heat the pool is nicely welcomed!! Like all hotels, if you want a sun bed you have to reserve it, but towels are provided.
The animation are not the best and are quite young but personally I don't really go on holiday for the activities during the day time, plus it is just too hot!

Moving on to trips, i would definitely recommend the snorkeling trip! For only £24 it is worth every penny! You go out from 9-5.30 making about 3/4 dives and stop off at paradise island beech to explore the shallow corals. Lunch is provided on the boat as our soft drinks and all the boat team are ace!
Unfortunately we did not get to see any of the pyramids as those trips were quite expensive and only worth doing I think if you do the overnight ones.

This hotel has only been taken over since January so its still finding its feet. First Choice have only been taking there customers there since May, and i think they welcome the English with open arms as it is full of Russians and Germans.
Overall we had a good holiday and a comfortable stay, but like anything, a few improvements won't go a miss such as more snacks available throughout the day, but they welcome suggestions and you receive a comment card at the end of your stay. I think after a few updates, in a couple of years this hotel will be at the top.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!!"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of July 2007

Misleading star rating

"We have just returned from a week at the Coral Sea Resort.
This is the second time we spent our vacation in this Resort,but the first time it was the "Conrad Hurghada Resort.
We came back, because our first time was fantastic.
Big, disappointment!!
Not only the name changed, but everything else did for the worst.
In the whole week stay, no one ever asked us if we would like something to drink or if we need anything with the dinner in the "La Palma Restaurant.
Only the people with the wrist bracelet (all inclusive) was served.
We was on the half board basis.
We have questioned by the surveyer and told her what was happening.
Her reply was: This is terribble, i will tell the management and they will call you to apologize.
We never heard from anyone.
The pool was too noisy, with a dozen of screaming and jumping kids in it. Of course they enjoyed themselves, but sent many adult vacationers out with frustration.
Food was much the same every day. We had fish four days in our seven day stay.
When we signed out, no one at the reception desk asked if everything was ok??
I would never return to this hotel again."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of July 2007

Lovely Hotel

"Just returned from Coral Sea 8th June 2007. I would say that this is a lovely hotel. The rooms and grounds are spotless. The staff are lovely. The entertainment is low key. The beach is made of fine shingle so you need shoes. Not much for kids or teenagers. Food much the same every day. Take strong Immodium with you as everyone had tummy trouble! Beware if you go on the City Tour - you get taken to a perfume factory and the sales talk is so good, you end up spending at least £100 before you know it! Feel free to email me with any enquiries."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of June 2007

peaceful resort

"Nice place overall. We (2 couples) enjoyed relaxing there. What we didn't enjoy was after booking 6 months out and requesting rooms close by – they were on opposite ends of the resort. Then the management tried to tell us they were giving us nicer rooms because we couldn't be put together. Well, by looking at their categories of rooms on their in-room materials - it was obvious we had the lowest level rooms in the place and blocks apart. So in pointing that out the next day we were finally we were told there was a problem with the AC in the room one of us was supposed to get so that is why being so far apart. However the room they said had a problem was next to me and was occupied the entire time. When I pointed that out, I was told we were told we were given special sea views to compensate - "Special" - right - we had to stand on the chairs to see the sea and my in-laws had to hang off the balcony to see the sea... The management seemed to think we had to think we were getting a deal or something better to be happy. The problem I have with all this is that I just appreciate honesty. Honesty would have worked just fine. So what I was left with is a relaxing time in a beautiful resort with management that practices deception as a service technique. So I became suspicious of anything I was told...

As for the Jr. rooms - the sheets were pilled and on their last leg. Rather ironic given the recognition afforded Egyptian cotton sheets! The shower was small and slippery - I fell and got my shoulder pinched (drawing blood) in the bi-fold door that wouldn't close (until I fell on it). The place was very clean, the beds & chairs comfy, the AC wonderful. But workers entered several times without knocking when I was in there alone...to do things I had not requested - like change a light bulb that worked????and work on the closet door that seemed to work just fine.....???? I felt like since my husband was out on an all day SCUBA boat they thought our room was unoccupied and they were surprised by me so they had to fiddle with something. Both times they exited as soon as I phoned housekeeping. This just gets back to that honesty thing that seemed to be lacking.

The food was Ok – certainly plentiful. If I was with my husband we got great table service – When I was alone for breakfast – I got ignored. Funny thing – I am the big tipper – he is not! Joke was on them!"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of January 2007

misleading star rating

"this hotel was given a 5* rating...3* max...rooms had seen better days only 1 place open to eat, had to wait for a table,scruffy disorganized,lots of russians on resort not at all friendly just greedy...mini bar in room was chargeable even though it was an all inclusive,no activities,one theme night chargeable at 20pounds per couple this was truly a mis sold holiday and have complained to tour operator have had brief letter back saying they would look into it...if you go think 3* and you will be happy"

• Travel date: Mon 4th of December 2006

Excellent service

"The Conrad Hurghada Resort offers the best quality of service (especially in the bars) of any five star hotel I have stayed at. It may not be a five star by European standards, but it is a very clean, well located hotel with its own private beach at a reasonable price. I went with two friends (staying in a triple room), we decided to upgrade to an executive villa. The villas are self contained, have four bedrooms and amazing views form the two balconies and roof terrace. I would highly recommend making this upgrade, however the standard rooms are also very nice. The staff could not do enough too aid our enjoyment of this holiday, by the end we weren't even ordering drinks as the staff knew us and knew what our favourite drinks were and would bring us a selection. Where in other hotels staff would only provide this level of service for generous tips, at the Conrad the bar staff actually refused our tipping as they were providing this level of service to us as they wanted to - not just for tips.
Overall an excellent experience at the Conrad, I would also recommend trying the banana boats and the wake-boarding in the lagoon."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of November 2006

WELCOME HOME

"From the moment we arrived at the hotel, to be met by the reception staff and Ali the lobby barman welcoming us home.. the resort did feel like home. everyone is so friendly welcoming and accommodating.. the rooms were spotless, the resort clean and totally litter free. gardens & beach area very well kept. the food amazing.. I have an issue with Garlic & am allergic to it. once this was mentioned the chefs were so helpful and made food specially from soups to roast chicken, steak etc all garlic free (this made everything so easy for me been able to eat worry free). we started our stay in one of the junior suites with a lovely view over the bay.. large bedroom, comfortable living room area and huge bathroom well furnished and very comfortable..during our stay we moved across to one of the pool suites.. giving us use of the private beach area, cabana on the beach and also a private pool. totally amazing, Ahmed and Abdul the cleaners two brilliant guys amazing towel art, whilst down there we were looked after so well by firstly Walid & Mostafa who made sure we were kept supplied with drinks & food whilst on the beach and around our room.. a constant supply of amazing cocktails, a constant smile and great conversation thanks a million for all you did to make our holiday unforgettable, the pool man ( sorry i cant remember your name my friend, so friendly and helpful. pool always spotless, beach / pool towels changed every morning and a welcoming hello.. Sammy and Ashraf two people who shone out among stars on the beach and around the pools always a big hello, smile and handshake. the management team, reception staff & guest relations always on hand and around helpful, smiling and welcoming.. the whole team of people at crystal bay is amazing, even the gardeners are always smiling, and It was lovely to see the management acknowledging how difficult it is for the staff to work in such heat providing cool drinks for all the staff handing them out personally, it was great to hear the staff get on well with the management and appreciate them too something often missing in hotels and I think this is part of what makes the crystal bay stand out too. A REALLY HUGE THANKS TO : Ahmed,Kajo ,saraya ,Gigi ,Callum,Jodie,yoyo,Azab ,Amina & gang the brilliant animation team, on the go 24/7 amazing evening shows, great characters they blend so well as a team any hotel should be proud to have them THEY ARE THE BEST I'VE KNOWN ANYWHERE. Love you guys! well be back soon

• Travel date: Wed 25th of May 2016

This is a 3 rating not a 4. Hotel is tir...

"This is a 3 rating not a 4. Hotel is tired.

Carpets and seating need a deep clean, and all the toilet seats need to be replaced.

Day one briefing tells you not to use UK medicines for stomach trouble. The 2-part local remedy is recommended; first capsule kills the bugs, the second is for the diarrhoea. I am not surprised there are stomach problem issues:

The afternoon cakes come from the main dining room at 1030 and sit in the heat of the day at the pool bar until 1630; and the cling wrap doesn't always cover them fully.

The cleanliness issue theme runs throughout the hotel communal areas: broken hand dryers, no hand towel, and no toilet paper were regular issues.

Throughout the week there were numerous incidents of staff being lazy. These ranged from partially filling glasses because they couldn't bother getting another bottle from the fridge, to telling guests to go and get their milk from another part of the hotel. I highlight these points because neither were one-off incidents.

The gardens and pool area are well kept, the rooms are quite good and the beds comfortable, and the food range was quite good as well.

The occasional roar of the combat aircraft passing over the resort makes a change from the regular commercial flights. Those with a passion for collecting tail-numbers can do it from their sunbed.

If you are wheelchair bound this is not the hotel for you; there is virtually nowhere in the hotel that you can go without negotiating steps, sometimes a number of flights of them."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of December 2007

Hotels near SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

Stayed at SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort

• BIZZYWIZZ by BIZZYWIZZ

"RENT A CABANA IF YOU HAVE A STANDARD OR DELUXE ROOM FOR USE OF THE PRIVATE BEACH "

SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort is also called