Steigenberger Golf Resort

Golf Island, El Gouna, Hurghada 84513 Egypt

Good

Great holiday

"Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, food fantastic; best breakfast buffet ever! Service a little slow sometimes perhaps us Europeans are too spoilt by fast service! Our family room was great, pool beautiful with enough sunbeds (even with all those Germans)! Would truly recommend a stay. In fact we loved El Gouna so much we are looking to buy a holiday home!"

• Travel date: Tue 10th of April 2007

Fabulous hotel

"We have just returned from holiday staying at Steigenberger hotel, mixed party of adults and children. Absolutely wonderful hotel. The hotel resort is in beautiful scenic grounds, secluded yet within a short walking distance from downtown. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful, and the hotel is spotless. We stayed on a half board basis, the food was excellant, good standard of hygiene, with different themed buffet nights. Standard rooms were large with good facillities, excellant bathroom and a good size terrace or balcony. You can arrange transfers from the airport direct with the hotel well worth it. There is a regular shuttle bus from the hotel into El Gouna and you can purchase a weekly ticket for £1.50 from the hotel or you can get a Tuk Tuk for 50p per journey well worth experiencing. El Gouna is a lovely upmarket resort , small but plenty going on. The weather in February was hot around 80 degrees with sunshine all day. Anyone considering this hotel will not be disappointed, we can't wait to go back."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of February 2007

Loved it

"Shrewsbury Shropshire.
Like the person from Cheshire we were worried about the reviews from the previous clients, all we can say is we had a very relaxing and wonderful holiday.
The food was excellent and we were informed that the chef was from Germany and he had worked in Switzerland, Tailand, Germany and now Egypt, every night many choices of international food and the sweets were mouthwatering.
The staff were so kind and helpful especially on the reception and in the resturant.
We were also impressed with the new villas they are builing in the Golf resort itself, look out for the new building in the middle of the Golf course it will be the half way house for the golfers and it is the shape of a turtle.
Anyone interested in a golfing holiday combined with a beautiful resort with lagoons you must book the Steigenberger Golf Resort Hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of September 2006

Super, Super Steigenberger!!!

"Where can I start.... I am a self employed Travel Agent and I've travelled to many fantastic hotels in my career, I wouldn't say I was nitpicky, but I am extremely aware of value for money and of quality, so therefore I have decided to write this review in full to assist everyone who subsequently looks at the Steigenberger El Gouna.

We booked this holiday in June 2006 and read the reviews on Tripadvisor and decided not to take much notice of them and what a great decision that was...! Although I have a great deal of respect for Tripadvisor and use the site a great deal through my work.

We arrived on time on 18th August and we were met by the hotel's own minibus for our resort transfer in Hurghada (we chose not to use the tour operators coach transfer bus as I pre applied for our visas with the Egyptian Consulate in the UK and as a result we bypassed all the queues on arrival, so it seemed silly to wait on a bus for everyone else to organise their paperwork) as a result it took just a hour from landing to our arrival in our room. Therefore the £18 per person return which the hotel charges for a private pick up was well worth it. The cost was put on the room bill and settled on departure. I would strongly recommend buying visas in advance if the opportunity presents itself in terms of time.

Check in was smooth, friendly and informative. You did not deal with any luggage at all, to my great joy I learned at check in that although we had opted for all the all inclusive package, we would NOT be required to wear wristbands, however all transactions would be signed for via the room number at nil pounds if using drinks and food included in the package. We were then driven to our room in a golf buggy and shown round by a very friendly staff member. The bags arrived quickly and we were left to admire the gorgeous decoration, huge shower, free safe box, king size bed and massive balcony overlooking the lagoon and gardens. There are no lifts at this hotel, so request low floors if stairs are a problem to anyone. It's only three stories high however, so not a massive issue!

The hotel is built on a lagoon which leads out after half a mile or so to the Red Sea. The hotel has a man made lagoon beach on site, bur provides a free shuttle to Mangroovy Beach if a proper beach is prefered, there are no all inclusive bars or restaurants on Mangroovy Beach however. The hotel is not walking distance to the town centre, but transport is excellent. You can but a weekly bus/shuttle boat pass for £1 per person approx and buses arrive outside the hotel every 15 minutes to take you to town and the network of transport there. There are also taxis and Tok Toks (50p per person anywhere in the resort one way), the hotels within walking distance of the town were not reported to be as good as those a little distance out, as these hotels have more room for their grounds and facilities.

The pool area was gorgeous (all wooden furniture, which says everything about the quality of the property) and fresh towels were provided by the hotel, there were ALWAYS sunbeds available. This was August and a quieter time of year (because of the heat , mid 30's eveyday, but a nice breeze was always around and made the heat most pleasant ) but the hotel was still quite full so I can't imagine sunbeds being a huge problem anytime throughout the year.

The food was simply brilliant, main buffet was excellent, loads of choice all tastes catered for, live cooking stations, the lagoon bar was fantastic for lunch with every type of snack served at your table. But the best part was the a la carte restaurant, which you travelled to and from via a motorboat (7am to 11pm), called at any time you pleased, the set menu there was included at night and you could book every night if you wished, the drinks were on the all inclusive package too. We chose from the supplemented menu (30 Eygptian pounds per person credit) and ate the most fantastic Chateaubriand steaks for less than £6 per person!!!

Also across the lagoon is the Angsana Spa, it's fantastic definitely worth a visit, however the massage hut by the pool is brilliant and extremely good value......not to mention the beauty salon and hairdressers on site, which I can highly recommend too!

The entertainment was low key, just a keyboard player and the usual tourist shows every night, however we had gone to spend quality time together, so this did not matter to us at all. There were many nationalities in the hotel. German, Dutch, Russian, Middle East, Eastern Europe, Italian, Belgian, French and British. A good mixture of folk and everyone got along fine.

There were watersports which could be organised through the hotel, but no animation team, so peace and quiet prevailed throughout the hotel in the daytime, we went on the snorkelling trip @ £7.50 per person, this was amazing, the guy in the pool towel booth sorts the trips and watersports out for everyone.

We also went to Cairo for the day, also organised by the hotel it was the highest class day trip I have ever been on, just 4 of us with one guide and a luxury minibus, to fly cost us £138 per person . The tour operators equivalent excursion cost £187 per person with over 30 tourists in a huge coach with one guide between them. This can be organised through the hotel's own website and booked in advance. I would highly recommend the days out to Cairo or Luxor as El Gouna is a purpose built tourist resort and has no history or culture whatsoever, it's got a nice enough town centre and marina, but they could be anywhere in Europe! After a couple of trips into town, we stayed most of the time in our hotel, as there is not that much there.....however the hotel does have a great dine around program with other properties, make sure to take your voucher for free meals out or credits off the other hotel menus. Drinks are not included in the dine around packages.

What made this holiday for us more than anything at all was the fantastic staff (all of them were AMAZING) and the wonderful Egyptian people in general. Take 2 minutes to learn to say thank you in Arabic (sounds like Shokran) and they will love you forever. Ask them about their culture, they are proud of who they are....many of these staff members hardly see their families who live all over Egypt, as El Gouna is just for tourists they have 23 days working 16 hour days and then 7 days off to go home, but they are so happy in what they are doing and such fun if you get to know them a little......small regular tips don't go amiss either.

All in we had the best time, we paid less than £450 per person for a week's package as did all the British holiday makers because it was a hot time of year to travel to Egypt.....as you can see we had fantastic value for money, however I would have thought £750 per person was still excellent value, which is what the price increases to at other times of the year.

All in all, a brilliant holiday and a fantastic hotel. I would 100% return to this hotel in the future."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of August 2006

A gem

"Just got back from Egypt and one of the hotels we stayed at was the Steigenberger. After reading the prior reviews on this site, I was a bit dubious, but what a surprise it turned out to be. It was a nice size, not too large and impersonal, but not too small. The staff were all efficient and polite. The choice of beach at the lagoon, or the swimming pool was good, because it meant that when the kids took over the pool, you could escape to the beach just two minutes away. The rooms were lovely and clean, we had a large terrace at the beach area overlooking the lagoon and onto the golf course. The shower was great. Do try the tok-toks - motorised bike taxis - to "downtown", but don't expect Puerto Banus, it is just starting out. Don't leave without using the fantastic masseuse on the beach at the top of the pool area - she is the biz - best ever and friendly with it. Food was very good, particularly for a buffet and all in all it was fairly civilized. Try the top bar above reception with it's lovely peaceful views and comfy seats.
All in all one of the best we stayed at, but we didn't appreciate it until we left! - nice and quiet, good for golfers or for those who want a peaceful time."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of April 2006

Stay away

"This place is run like a military operation. Once I wore shorts to lunch at the cafe by the golf course, and they immediately sent a note to my room reminding me of the dress code. On the other hand, no one blinked an eye at all the topless sunbathing around the pool, even though there was another rule about that (guests were supposed to be respectful of the locals' sensibilities). El Gouna itself is a cultural wasteland full of rich people showing off their yachts and poor people laying the foundations for the next mansion to be built. If you are interested in seeing anything genuine or authentic, stay away from El Gouna in general and the Steigenberger in particular."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

Great place to be

"In April 2005, my wife and I and our 2 children (4 and 0) stayed in this resort for 10 days. A wonderfull resort. Nice, tastfull, clean rooms, with a lot of privacy. The beds are rather hard, but not too. The employees of the hotel are almost all very friendly and helpfull. You can talk English without a problem. (Khadiga was our favorit employee, but that was because she was great with the children)
The food was very good, enough choice and fresh. Of course they are buffets, so not great, but very good for a buffet.
A few shops around the hotel, with the typical tourist stuff.. Better to shop in El Gouna, which is a nice place for a day to walk through or to have dinner once in a while. The facilities in El Gouna are sufficient. Dont expect too much and you will be pleasantly surprised.
Entertainment in the evening was various.. the acts with the snakes are always nice to watch, the rest was ok, not more than that.
The beach is great, you go their with the hotel shuttle. The pool is great, but offcourse here are also annoying towel-layers, so be early and beat them :-) Overall value for money."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of September 2005

Snooty staff...dont bother!

"We went to the Steigenberger for dinner one night on the recommendation of others. First impressions were that the hotel looked very nice although there is a lot of building work going on in the immediate area.

The Barman was very surly and didnt smile at all. Actually didnt even speak!

Then when we got to the restaurantwe were refused entry as I was wearing shorts! They do have a dress code that states smart casual, so I thought that I would be ok in nice smart knee length shorts and shirt. No chance. You can wear denim jeans with no issue though! Its ok to wear tiny shorts if you are a woman, or 3/4 lenght ones for men...Bizarre.

Needless to say we said stuff you and headed back to the Movenpicks El Sayadin restaurant for some friendly service!"

• Travel date: Mon 13th of June 2005

Rather disappointing

"Rather disappointing stay

The hotel brochure speaks of the Steigenberger hotel to be a unique world offering the highest level of hotel culture, exquisite service and fist class luxury. It was with this expectation that we visited the Steigenberger in El Gouna. Being a Steigenberger member and having stayed in Steigenberger hotels before we were very much looking forward to our stay. For my business I stay on average 15 nights a month in various hotels for over five years now during which I believe I have built up quite some hotel experience

I have grouped my findings in a positive and a negative section.

Positive

Very nice hotel architecture, Great atmosphere in lobby and lobby terrace area, Great views especially at lobby bar terrace and pool, Food in Fairways buffet restaurant is good, I would rate 4 star but don’t expect haute cuisine or delicacies. Plenty of choice, big variety in desserts, Great location for golf players with adjacent golf course, Restaurant Rotisserie offers very good a la carte food and excellent service, Extended breakfast although no variation, Nice garden surrounding the hotel great for pleasant walks facing the lagoon, Not too big a complex, rooms never very far from main building (200 rooms), Spacious bed rooms

Negative

Room comfort we find a serious issue. I would rate rooms 3 star at max (definitely not 5 star), Beds are very basic (very basic and extremely firm mattresses on basic wooden planks, basic sheets hardly ever changed during our stay of ten days, very basic and too small synthetic duvets, only one type of pillow available, etc…, Cleanliness of bathroom (Toilet was never cleaned in detail. As a result there was always a toilet smell when entering the room), bath tub was dirty at arrival and stayed dirty until departure, one day very bad sewage smell, etc..) The room and bathroom were never really cleaned during our stay, Temperature of shower water either too cold or too hot (very difficult if not impossible to adjust),
Toilet was stuck on several occasions making awful noise on top,
Room curtains and carpets were very dirty
All above issues were repeatedly (on a daily basis) reported to reception but they never got to really resolving them. Every problem in the room we encountered had to be reported at least twice before any action was taken…
We checked in late in the evening. Reception was very poor…. (e.g. we had to find our own way to reception, nobody explained what to find where in the hotel(restaurants, pool, ) There seems to be no small map of the complex available. No attention at all in room upon arrival like fruit, bottle of water, welcome card, etc…
Guest relation managers at reception listen to you but don’t really try to find a solution to your problem
The “Sports and Fun” organisation in the hotel that sells water sport activities like snorkeling are not professionally organised at all. I had booked and paid for a snorkelling trip but on the day nobody showed up. After complaining about it to them and mentioning that I would escalate it to hotel management they suggested that I had to simply come back the following day… I don’t think they are a certified organisation either. They use old equipment, snorkelling trips are without guides in the water, etc… Cannot understand why the hotel allows such an organisation in the hotel….
The hotel is at a 10 minutes drive from the sea (hotel is located at a lagoon)
We tried the hotel beach at a 10 minute drive which could be a good alternative for the hotel pool. Unfortunately they did not have enough mattresses for all chairs which made it impossible to stay there
Restaurant Fairways buffet area can become unpleasantly crowded (area too small to cope with high number of guests)
Restaurant Fairways offers only a limited number of tables outside. Op top of that guests remain at the tables to attend the evening shows as well so that no tables become available for guests arriving later in the evening
The pool can become crowded with small children
The evening shows at the restaurant apart from the daily singer on the terrace is not really what you would expect in a 5 star hotel (e.g. circus entertainment with snakes…)
All inclusive formula cost is too high compared to provided benefits (I recommend HB)

The problem with hotel star rating I find is that different countries/regions use different standards and is no guarantee for quality. This was the reason why we chose for Steigenberger hoping that they would apply the European star rating.
Overall I would rate the hotel 3 to 4 star taking 5 star hotels in Europe (UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain, etc..) as my reference. Most of the facilities you would expect in this hotel category were there but hygiene, comfort and impeccable service should be a given in a 5 star hotel…"

• Travel date: Fri 13th of May 2005

Very nice

Good

"We stayed here in December 2003, when daytime temperatures still reach 25 degrees Celcius. We are a little ambivilent about this resort. The food is much better than you would expect(specially the excellent breakfast with freshly prepared crepes, omelettes etc.), The swimming pool is very large and nicely designed. Rooms are very spacious but more 4 star than 5 star. There is a big difference in what section you stay so ask for section 1000 or 2000. The biggest drawback was the reception and their imcompetency to handle guests complaints. The golfcourse adjacent to the resort is of a very high standard and well maintained. Do not visit nearby Hurghada since it is a complete disaster."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of September 2004

excellent holiday

"we stayed and played golf at the steinberger resort the room, food staff were great the golf was superb, no complaints at all, travelling to the resort was easy and cheap, best holday ever

Diane & Ian Moden
Blackpool"

• Travel date: Thu 1st of October 2009

Hotels near Steigenberger Golf Resort

Stayed at Steigenberger Golf Resort? Share your insight.

Steigenberger Golf Resort is also called