overall really freindly and lovely atmos...

Good
Reviewed Thu 21st of February 2008

"overall really freindly and lovely atmosphere between people. Some staff abit too pushy for tips like when we were given our room keys we had to wait for waiters to take our lugguage to the rooms even though our cases were right next to us just so they could have a tip, in the end we had to pull the cases off them. food was nice but not much variety. lovely mexican and asian restaurant. nice clean place would go back."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of February 2008

the first time my wife and myself have b...

Reviewed Wed 20th of February 2008

"the first time my wife and myself have been to egypt what a pleasant suprise we got stayed at the mamlouk palace for 2 weeks the staff were brilliant room good enjoyed the food the best holiday we have ever had and we have been to a few places we are going back next week for another 2 weeks ive been converted 10 out of 10 for the hospitality great place"

• Travel date: Wed 20th of February 2008

Very impressive building. Well maintaine...

Reviewed Fri 15th of February 2008

"Very impressive building. Well maintained. Staff very helpful and polite. Food was plentiful and very well cooked, my first criticism would be to say that the hot dished could have varied more from day to day. However, the selection of fruit and desserts was astounding. The local selection of freshly baked bread was worth the flight alone. Although we went all-inclusive, I woud advise anybody to visit the Asian restaurant at the end of the hotel complex (near the beach). We had the best evening of our holiday there and it only cost us £15 for the two of us including drinks. Don't be in any rush to book your free meal at the El Paso (tex mex) restaurant. Food was poor and the service was worse. We are still waiting for our chocolate brownie dessert. DO go snorkelling. It was a fantasic experience. The water was so warm, we didn't want to get out. We went on th Blue sky boat, and wouldn't hesitate to use this friendly comany again. Water was crystal clear, and although we didn't, I woud recommend taking an underwater camera to record a spectacular trip. (Say HI to nemo from us). Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Fri 15th of February 2008

Wow! My first trip to Egypt and it didnt...

Reviewed Sat 9th of February 2008

"Wow! My first trip to Egypt and it didnt disappoint.
The hotel was beautiful (the photographs on the internet dont do it justice!) and the staff were beyond compare to anywhere I have ever been. Nothing was too much trouble and they always had a smile.
We were there for two weeks and the hotel was officially opened by the Egyptian Tourism Minister the 2nd week. Staff were working all hours in preparation (our room cleaner was working 6am til 11pm on several days and still was smiling and happy!)
We were made to feel so welcome that I didnot want to come home!
Our room (31101) had twin beds and was on the ground floor with a terrace. It was by the sea and a bit of a walk to the main part of the hotel but this was fine for us. Our luggage was delivered at the start and collected at the end.
The pools were clean and the heated pool was great. The food was lovely in the buffet restaurant and we looked forward to seeing the staff in there every day.
Very professional but always time for a smile and friendly word.
Yes there were planes flying over but nothing to annoy.
Half the restaurant is non smoking and it was a shame that the reception / bar area had no non smoking area but most nights we found somewhere to sit which was out of the smoke. The bar waiters always found us!
If you go - say hello to the guys in the cocktail bar in the unheated pool - they love you to go and chat to improve their English.
Great place. Great people. Booking to go back there already!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 9th of February 2008

Ok, the important bit! Tis not 5* by UK...

Reviewed Sat 26th of January 2008

"Ok, the important bit! Tis not 5* by UK standards but a damn good effort is being made to get it somewhere near, I would say a 4* at the very worst.

Mamlouk Palace is a big hotel but it's not without it's staff, there seemed to be 100's of them & never once did we wait (or want) for anything.

I could write thousands of words here, instead I'll try to sum up in single words/sentences as much as possible.

Main Hotel:

Big.
Friendly Staff (nothing was too much trouble).
Fab food & drink (no queues at anytime).
2 huge pools (1 heated to 29c throughout the winter) & both suitable for children or those not overly confident as they are shallow enough to walk in.
Swim up pool bar.
Very clean beach with a windsurf school, it's own jetty which leads out to a small reef suitable for snorkelling whilst the sea is very shallow (artificially made) so again suitable for the less able swimmer.
Sunbeds & towels foc.
The sister hotel next door has a dive schol & offers snorkelling trips via a local boat but it's nearly double the cost of those in town.
Health Club which offers a Gym, Sauna, Steam Room & Jacuzzi bath foc as well as a range of massages at extra cost. TIP: Barter the price down to a £20 per hour long massage as they are happy with that but start at £40!
Disco til 2am (24.00-02.00 not on AI basis).
Horse/Camel riding available from the beach.

Rooms:

Our room (26206) was Light & Airy with a queen size bed! The bathroom was of a good size with a nice shower complete with seat for those less abled & the soap/shampoo/body lotion were replenished daily when the room was cleaned (it was cleaned to a very high standard). The wardrobes were of a good size but TIP: take some hangers with you as they weren't many. Cable TV offered CNN news, Cartoon Network & 3 other English speaking film channels. Small balcony which got the sun for most of the day. In room safe was free of charge & easy to use with a digital lock/unlock system. TIP:make sure you get a top floor room & on the wing with room numbers beginning with 2 as they get more of the sun.

Bad bits:

The hotel had its "official" opening day during our stay but there are still some small building works being done to finish off but nothing that disturbed us othert than a slight smell of paint fumes in places.

Occasional sewer smell outside the front of the hotel.

There is nowhere in the main Lobby bar that is "officially" no smoking however we managed to find a quiet corner most nights & actually made a no smoking area with the others who abhor the smell whilst enjoying a drink or 2 after dinner.

Hotel is under the flightpath so there is occasional aircraft noise but nothing late at night nor too early in the morning.

To sum up:

4* quality, great food & drink with no waits for either & lots of choice, fab swimming pools & beach area, local shops to wander round after dinner (beware the lookie lookie men who are a pain but that's nothing new in tourist areas) & only £2 (after bartering) into town by taxi if you want some shopping or nightlife."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of January 2008

My sister and I came here for Christmas...

Reviewed Thu 3rd of January 2008

"My sister and I came here for Christmas and it was absolutely fantastic! When we arrived at the hotel an attendant took our suitcases and we were shown to our room. The room was large and nicely decorated with a large bathroom and a good shower. We also had a sea view which was lovely.

There were a variety of different foods to eat in at the restaurants which was impressive (perhaps not so good if you are a fussy eater). There was always some form of BBQ meat at lunch and dinner times. My sister is vegetarian so one of the chefs always made sure that she had something to eat. The staff were very friendly and incredibly attentive but not intrusive. The drinks were good, a small variety of cocktails as well as wine and beers.

We didn't visit the health spa but we heard it was very good. There is also a tent for Sheshar, water sports and an animation team (who were very amateur!!). The beach was nice with private beds.

We had a 30 hour flight delay getting to Egypt and we almost didn't go. I have to say, it was well worth the wait - the hotel and staff were fantastic and we would definitely come here again. "

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of January 2008

Brilliant holiday! Hotel was immaculate...

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2007

"Brilliant holiday!

Hotel was immaculate, still some building work going on whilst we were there but nothing that intruded on our holiday!

Excellent if you just want to relax, or even try something new like wind surfing, kite surfing, and snorkelling - lots of water sports available.

Thomas cook offer a good range of excursing - would recommend Mahmya Island - it’s a beautiful national park - white sands, uninhabited, beautiful coral - a lot of the coral around the hotel was killed during its construction!

Various restaurants available at an extra charge - but still quite cheap!

Would highly recommend!"