It's not bad at all

Reviewed Mon 15th of July 2013

"Just returned from this hotel & dont believe all you read in some of the reviews, it is a lovely hotel, very clean & staff all very friendly. The food is fine just like any all inclusive it is pretty much the same each day but it is well presented, there is a variety and you can always find someting to eat you wont go hungry. True it is a bit out of the way at least a 20 min taxi ride to the Marina & not much each around, althogh if you like the sun & relaxing this is the place it has a good choice of pools & a new beach area. If you have booked dont worry join in & have fun thats what holidays are for.

Hope you enjoy as much as we did. A special mention to the the guy round the pool Ahmed he is such a lovely guy really cheerful, helpful & very pleasent to speak too, keep up the good work Ahmed soon you will make reception I'm sure. "

• Travel date: Fri 12th of July 2013

Glad to be back home

Reviewed Mon 21st of May 2012

"I wonder if the people who said that the sea star is a great hotel worth of 5 stars were sober when they wrote their review. It is a 3 stars hotel, no more. It is clean (the rooms and the lobby, but not the dishes!) and the staff is friendly (the people who understood english, roughly 50% of the staff) and helpful and while the pool surroundings are fine, the beach is certainly not, because it is quite narrow and quite dirty as well if you just walk a few meters along it. furthermore there were hordes, yes hordes of dead jellyfish lying around, the ones who were not dead already you met when you went for a swim. breakfast was ok (but not a 5 star breakfast), but lunch and dinner were rather bad, day in day out the same stuff, food was cold and tasteless. If you take an all in package, expect the cheapest sorts of watered down local spirits and beer and low quality instant coffee. also, the location on the very north end of hurghada isnt exactly the place to be. The worst thing was that 6 out of the 9 other guests we were friends with and us had minor diarrhea after two to three days at the hotel. I would never go there again."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of May 2012

Aldi food, sunny Russia, rudest people, awful

Reviewed Fri 18th of May 2012

"I will first mention the positive points, undoubtedly the staff and local people were amazing and they do their absolute best with their means. Very generous and helpful, they are not at all the media fed stereotype looking to over charge or flirt with women. They enjoy banter and as for markets and shops, they are good at negotiating. Now the hotel itself, the food is disgusting full stop. So greasy and salty, revolting sugary drinks, no bottled water unless you buy a bottle for five dollars, a pint worth of water. I got food poisoning there, as they recycle the food everyday, from a roast turned into beef salad the next day, into bolognese the following day and into beef in a bun the following day etc etc... That's because the Russians have taken over Egypt and pay less than 20 dollars a day to stay there, all inclusive. You do the maths as to the hotels budget. The caliber of the guests was extremely poor. Miners with no manners at all. My dog is better behaved...and he had very little training! Horrible atmosphere, when you have 95% of communist unhappy miserable people around you pushing you for food. I will never go there again. I recommend the Marriott..."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of October 2011

An excellent hotel

Reviewed Wed 6th of May 2009

"Sea Star Beau Rivage – 21 to 28 April 2009 – All Inclusive

We were originally scheduled to stay elsewhere but, because of overbooking, were asked if we would move to the Beau Rivage. What a good move it was too !!

Forget all the negative reports, if you want and English holiday stay in England or go to Spain!! Hurghada is a VERY international resort and ALL the hotels cater for a wide variety of nationalities.

The Hotel: Listed ( locally and in brochures ) as a 5 star and comes very close to that . In European terms I would say it’s a very good 4 star. Very clean, constant team of attentive people cleaning all areas. Very pleasant staff, all the time !! Make sure you know just a few words of Arabic and it will make a big difference. Well laid out in a “U” shape around 2 pools. If its windy, which it quite often is in this area, grab a sunbed by the pool closest to the hotel where it is nice and sheltered but gets the sun almost all day. And remember the sun is very hot, probably more intense than you might think. One trick we learned was to keep hold of the beach towels from the pool overnight so we could bag a bed early, the pool guys don’t start till 0800 and most of the sunbeds will be taken by then ! If you need to keep in touch there is WiFi Internet in the hotel and around 5 Internet terminals in the Coffee Shop. Chargeable but not excessive.

The room: Quite big enough for a holiday, very clean and looked after by a really nice local guy. Beds are a little hard but not so hard that you wont be comfortable. Nice bathroom with everything you need to hand. A big balcony too. Some balconies have the sun most of the day, some hardly at all. We were in the building over reception and had good sun in the afternoon.

Facilities and Entertainment: Two pools, both very clean. The bigger one has a swim up bar and the smaller one has a bar close by. Snacks are served at lunchtime and between 4 and 5 in the afternoon. The beach is small but very clean and there is a reef only about 50 yards offshore too. All sorts of water stuff is available from Snorkel loan to diving trips. Plenty of sheltered sunbeds along the beach too. Theres a morning programme of Aerobics, volleyball and the like. In the evenings entertainment is sorted by the hotels own “Animation” team and, on the whole, was great fun. A mixture of local stuff coupled with some home grown fun nights. Brilliant kids entertainment from the team at 9 pm with a stage full of kids every night. Theres also a disco and pub on site.

Restaurant: Breakfast is a mega affair. No, you cant have a full English !! Several different types of bread and rolls, 5 sorts of jam, lots of cereals and fruit, some hot items and an egg Chef who does great omelettes as well as fried eggs. Lunch and dinner are also buffet style. I really don’t understand the comments about lack of choice !! At least 5 choices of main course PLUS a pasta area where the pasta is freshly cooked for you. At least 12 choices of salad, 2 tasty soups and, finally, a good selection of desserts. The waiters are extremely friendly and attentive; tables are cleared promptly and drinks fetched very quickly. There is also a great Italian restaurant that you can use by prebooking. However A La Carte is chargeable but there is a set menu that you can have within your all inclusive deal. We didn’t get the legendary bad tum despite eating just about everything that was available at some time

Bars: Yes, you do have to pay extra for foreign alcohol, but that’s the same everywhere. The local Stella or Sakara beer is extremely good and the local Scotch isn’t bad either. Served in small glasses but no one worries if you get 2 at a time.

Taxis. Just over the road from the hotel there is a taxi office. Great service. They will drop you wherever you want to be and arrange a time to pick you up and they are ALWAYS on time. Cheap too.

Other things: If you want an evening out take a cab to the new Marina area. Lots of restaurants and plenty of bars. Theres even a Ministry of Sound for those who like to party till dawn. We ate at “ The Lodge”, excellent steaks in a great atmosphere.
Shopping: Either the old town, Al Dahar, which is only 5 minutes away, or Sakala, about 15 mins in a cab. The old town is very touristy with more Shishas for sale than the world could possibly cope with. You will get asked into every shop but a polite no usually suffices. Its NOT really hassle as they are just trying to earn a few bob !!

Trips: Mahmaya Island is a must !! You are collected from the hotel and taken to the New Marina from where its just a 45 minute boat ride to the island. Lots of room to enjoy the beach and the sun and a great buffet lunch included in the price. Drinks, both hard and soft, are a bit pricey but considering that everything has to be transported there the prices are quite acceptable. Theres also a good chance you might see Dolphins on the trip back, we did.
We also did a Desert Safari. Very, very entertaining and seems to last a lot longer than advertised !! Just be aware that the Landcruiser used have the rear seating lengthways and its not that comfortable if you are tall or big !!
There are plenty of other trips available but do your homework first. We spoke to someone who had done the Luxor trip and they said it was a nightmare – early start , long coach trip, very limited time in the temples and a long trip back.

We used Travco’s “ meet and greet” service on arrival and departure. Costs a few bob but we got our own dedicated agent on arrival who had our Visa in 4 minutes and us in our own minibus 5 mins after collecting our bags !!! On departure they collected us from the hotel on time and stayed with us all the way to security. We booked both our trips out through them.

All in all a great holiday. There are bigger hotels further out of Hurghada that may have a few more facilities and restaurants but do you want your room to be 300 yards from everything !! The Beau Rivage is small enough to be easily navigated and the staff can concentrate on making your stay enjoyable.

• Travel date: Tue 5th of May 2009

Wonderful hotel with nice and helpful staff

Reviewed Sun 26th of October 2008

"Me and my friend really liked this hotel. I do not agree with the other bad reviews on this site so I have to write one myself.

Our room was great, had nice furniture and was perfectly cleaned. A nice balcony with view over the pool area and the sea.

All staff at the hotel was really helpful and friendly in a good way. We really felt welcome.

The activities was appreciated. I especially liked the yoga, stretching and aqua gym.

The only thing that we are not totally satisfied with is the food, the buffé dished were many, but the tase was not the best. "

• Travel date: Sun 26th of October 2008

Nice but not perfect :-(

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Nice hotel,cleaners do their job well.Rooms big but dated a bit.
We traveled with 2 year old and we needed to carry buggy because of lack of stairs somewhere.Pool for children to deep for small ones.No bar on the beach.Food ok but repeats every week.All three of us were sick depite being careful.All inclusive end at 12:00 and you have to pay for everything if you stay longer(staff not friendly when you are desputing it).Mostly French,Italians and Russians.Beach nice but lots of oil and our shoes and clothes and feet were dirty every day.No problems with sunbeds at any time.You have to pay for juices in boxes.Definitely not 5 star,I would say 3+.
I think it will be helpful."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of June 2008

Fantastic, Amazing, Best holiday!!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"My friend & I have just returned from the most fantastic holiday at the Sea Star. The hotel is beautiful & constantly cleaned. The staff were all so very friendly & helpful & really appreciated our efforts of learning arabic & were happy to teach us more words which was great.
We loved the food which was delicious every morning, noon & night. We were a little worried that being all inclusive the food would be the same, but every day/night there were several different options of every type of food - salads, soups, vegetarian, fish & meat. We were warned about egyptian wine before we went by several people saying it was undrinkable, but drank their red wine every night & it was really nice.
The hotel put on so many activities that you just can't be bored & you can join in or just relax by the pool or the fantastic beach soaking up the beautiful egyptian sun. We loved Gigi & MC who's energies were relentless & got everyone going! They should both be on TV!
We spent a day snorkelling which was amazing & I would definitely say to try it if you haven't done so before.
I have no complaints whatsoever - well maybe 1 which is that I am at home now & want to be back there!
I will definitely return to the Sea Star & highly recommend it for a fantastic holiday."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of May 2008

I cannot believe the bad reviews on this...

Reviewed Sat 17th of May 2008

"I cannot believe the bad reviews on this hotel - my friend & I have just returned from the most fantastic holiday at the Sea Star. The hotel is beautiful & constantly cleaned. The staff were all so very friendly & helpful & really appreciated our efforts of learning arabic & were happy to teach us more words which was great.
We loved the food which was delicious every morning, noon & night. We were a little worried that being all inclusive the food would be the same, but every day/night there were several different options of every type of food - salads, soups, vegetarian, fish & meat. We were warned about egyptian wine before we went, but drank their red wine every night & it was really nice.
I have no complaints whatsoever - the only 1 being that I am at home now & want to be back there!

• Travel date: Sat 17th of May 2008

Wonderful hotel, would definitely go back again

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We have just returned from a week at this hotel and we loved everything about it. The hotel itself is beautiful, clean and very well run. The food was very good and there is plenty to do. The staff are very polite and friendly and all had a good sense of humour. The animation team were fabulous. The only bad point - once you have booked out at 12.00, the all inclusive deal ends which means that anything you eat or drink (lunch is served between 1pm-3pm) you have to pay for. We have been to all-inclusive hotels before and everything was inclusive until you left the hotel.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, we didn't want to leave. Julie and Natalie Fish, UK"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of May 2008

Be Aware

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"We booked at the Sea Star but didn't stay there because the hotel was overbooked.
During a visit of the hotel a couple of days later someone from the management confirmed that the place was nearly all the time fully booked.
They officially confirmed that they prefer russian guests so western european tourists (dutch, french, etc) are the first to be bounced."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of April 2008

So so...............

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"while i dont want to really slag off this hotel,to be honest there was good points and bad points to this hotel.......
GOOD POINTS...
1.it was immaculate
2.staff friendly enough

BAD POINTS..
1.it was so out of the way,that when the rep gave me a map of hurghada,it was not even on map,i think the worse part was after b/fast/dinner,it would have been nice to go for a nice walk,but believe me there was absolutely no where to walk except round the nearest building site,in which there was many..
2.the first week i used their in house internet service,the price was 20LE for a hour,the second week it had gone upto 70LE,thats an increase of 300%,i was livid,i had gone to reception to complain,the receptionist just shrugged his shoulders....
3.the food was ok,infact the breakfast was nice as was the bread rolls and desserts..and that was it..
4.this hotel was no where near a five star or even 4 star,i would say a really nice 3 star...
5.watching russians take greed to a higher level,and what annoyed me even more,they would fill their plates so high,and then leave it,and then have the audacity to go back up for more,and do it all over again,it was shameful to watch...
6.if this was 5 star you would get fresh orange juice at breakfast,yes you can get it,at a PRICE...
7.their in house (animation team),was the highlight of my holiday,i went to get a laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!laugh because it was so dreadfull.......
8.please please dont waste ypu hard earned cash on this place.
9.i did not want to slag of this place at the beginning,i honestly was trying to find more good points,but i am afraid i cant...."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of March 2008

Not as good as I expected

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We were one of approximately 5 British groups at the hotel for the week we were there. The rest were predominantly Russians, with a handful of French and German.

Not being "countryist", but it does make a difference. For example, I pre-booked a quad-biking/Bedouin village trip and found that we were the only 3 British in a group of 30 Russians and the tour guide only spoke Russian!! So, we had very limited information on how to ride the bikes and learnt nothing about the Bedouin people.

The service, staff, food, and beach were all pretty good. But I wouldn't do all inclusive again. It makes you feel tied to the hotel.
Make sure your travel organiser has ensured that the hotel will provide you with a meal if there is a big delay between checking out (noon) and being taken to the airport.

The hotel was a bit too out of the way for my liking. It would've been nicer to be able to step out of the hotel and walk to some restaurants and shops.

I consider it the responsibility of the travel company (Excel) to provide more detailed info on things like Hotel Clientele. I won't be booking with Excel again for this reason and various others."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of February 2008

Hotels near Sea Star Beau Rivage

Top traveller tips for Sea Star Beau Rivage

• routem by routem

"Mahmaya Island. The Lodge Restaurant at the New Marina "

• Lisagamilla by Lisagamilla

"Chose a great friend and definitely don't go if in a new relationship. You will break up for sure! "

• Shane M by Shane M

"book some tours to make time go by "

• Winter Miller by Winter Miller

"Go see the Marina it is very pretty nice resturants & a few shops, surrounding area not so nice & taxi drivers are crazy, join in they all work so hard to make sure you have a good holiday "

Sea Star Beau Rivage is also called