Prima Life Makadi

Makadi Bay, Hurghada 0065 Egypt

Don't Lose Your Time

"Our group doesn't like the service of this Hotel, for many reasons.
First, when we arrived there they had keep our passports for all night in the reception and just had returned them on the next day. Then, the employee that it took the luggages for the room compel-in giving tip to him. And also try to choose the bank note he want. My friend wanted to give him 6 Egiptyan Pounds and he said that want 10 for tip. he almost beat us. My father gave him about 10 Euros to leave the room. Very bad service.

The toilet of the bathroom doesn't work until i claimed at the reception. They just fixed it when I had claimed for the second time.

We pay for an all included but it's not like that. After 16h00pm, there are no food at all hotel until 19h. Only drinks and a small box in the leisure room with litle english cakes are available. We had return from a visit about 16h30 and there weren't any food.

The food also its almost the same kind all week. There are a litle variety of food and fruits.
Sometimes they made grilled Beef but when we ask for a litlle more almost had to ask please, like a favor they do to us. It was very limited.

Good Luck"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of March 2009

Great holiday

Good

"My boyfriend and I stayed for the Prima Life Makadi Bay for 1 week for his 30th birthday and we loved it. The staff were friendly, the beach was great and the sea was not cold, even in January. We ate at the main restaurant every night and the food was good and varied (and no tummy bugs!).
We also took the opportunity to take a 2 day trip to Luxor (through our Olympic Rep) which was great. For £150 each we got to visit 6 temples, had 2 lunches provided and overnight stay in a 4* hotel on the Nile, and Nile boat trip etc"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of January 2009

Absolute nightmare!! Beware

"We booked this as a last minute vacation with our travel agent. She said she had been there before and it came highly recommended. Ha!

First let me start out by saying that I am a very optimistic person and am normally very easy to please. I have never gone out of my way to write any bad reviews before. Well this place would be the exception!

We went in mid December of '08 and because of the timing, the place was completely empty. We were told that there were only 200 guests there and there is normally around 1,000. So maybe that was the trouble. Maybe the staff just didn't have anything better to do than to pester and scare us.

We arrived at the Prima Life Hotel and Resort around noon to check in. I thought that the lobby looked nice enough but the people working the front desk were not friendly at all. They refused to give us our passports back even after I asked them if they could just make a copy of it and give it back. They said that they couldn't give them back until the next day. Whatever. Maybe that is just how they do things there, but I don't like my passport in someone else's hands for that long. Anyhow then they had a bellhop come and get our luggage for us. It was supposed to be in our room waiting for us when we got there, but we had to wait for about 20 mins for it to come. I hate to think that they might have been going through it or something. When it finally did arrive we gave the man a tip and when we asked for change he refused to give it to us. He informed us that what we had given him (20 Egyptian pounds) was only 2 euros. We weren't aware of the exchange rate yet, so yes, it wasn't that much. But the fact that he refused to give us change and then used a very sarcastic tone with us was not appreciated. I should also mention that the rooms were mediocre at BEST. I have stayed in 2 star hotels that were nicer and cleaner than this. Also the water that came out of bathroom sink was brown! It looked like it was maybe rusty. Someone before mentioned that there were only 2 bottles of water in the mini bar and they refused to give you more. That was true. WHen we asked for more we were told to refill them at one of the many bottled water tanks in the hallway. Normally that would be fine, but the problem was that water tasted horrible! It had a very chemical taste to it.

After we changed we decided to go to lunch. I read that the other reviewers said that the food was delicious. There must have been a different chef when we were there because it was absolutely overcooked, tasteless, mushy garbage! I also discovered little crawly bugs at the salad bar. They looked like little tiny cockroaches!! YUCK! While we were at lunch we also started to notice how the men where looking at me. I am not paranoid or full of myself. They were very obvious about it even though my husband was right next to me. I was glad he was there too because a couple of tables away there were two young women alone and they were being constantly harassed and ogled. After the horrid lunch we went to the beach bar for some drinks. We payed for an ultra all-inclusive vacation, but for some reason we still had to pay for cocktails. That's how the get you. They say that the local cocktails are included in the price but anything else (a mojito for example) we had to pay for. and all of the "local" cocktails were very funky mixes that sounded awful. Very tricky.

There were about 4 men working at the bar and as soon as we sat down they started bothering us. They wanted to know where we were from. My husband is a German citizen but I am an American. I would have liked to have kept that little detail on the down-low, but my husband accidentally let it slip that I was American. As soon as they heard that they were swarming to me like flies on poo! Then they started asking really personal stuff. They wanted to know if I was a Christian and what I thought about the Iraq war. One man actually claimed that he had been working as an undercover agent for the American Air Force. OK. I highly doubt that. It seemed like he was trying to win our trust because shortly after he told us that, he started trying to convince us to leave the resort and go to the city with them. They said they knew of a place where we could sleep and everything! I was starting to get scared. We said no but they wouldn't leave us alone or drop the issue so we said that we were going to go to our room. We left and instead of going to our room like we should have we went to one of the other bars. Big mistake. We were bombarded there as well. One boy actually tried to tell us that he was married to a German who still lived in Germany. He couldn't have been more than 16 so we knew he was full of it. Then when we left there we went to dinner (food was once again a huge joke). While I was standing up at the salad bar one of the members of the animation staff actually came up to me and grabbed me on my side. Its scared me and was totally disrespectful!!! After that we decided to retire for the night.

That night I couldn't sleep because I was really worried about some of the weird conversations. When I finally did doze off I was awoken by the sound of something in the room. It was a really strange noise that woke my husband as well. It sounded like something scurrying around. Could have been a rat for all we know.

In the A.M. we were sitting outside by the pool when the animation crew chief came stomping over to us whilst dragging the 16 yr old boy that told us he had a German wife behind him. He started shouting at us. He demanded to know if that boy had told us that he had a German wife. They boy looked scared and I pitied him so I said "I don't remember what he said. We were drinking. Who cares anyway". Then he shouted even louder and said "No! I want to know what he told you right now! He should not be lying to our guests!!". I told him that we did not want to get in the middle and that he should leave us alone, but he only got more mad and more loud each time I tried to avoid the question. Finally we were so scared of this maniac that we just wanted to get him away from us so we told him "yes. He probably said that". He then stomped off with the poor boy in tow until he thought he was out of our sight. He then smacked the boy so hard in the head that he almost fell over.

At this point we had had enough. We were genuinely scared and just wanted to get the heck out of there! We contacted our travel agent and, after only one day, we got on the next flight out of there. We didn't even tell the hotel staff why we were leaving because we were scared of something happening to us on the half hour ride to the airport. It all seems so ridiculously blown out of proportion, but it was very real and very terrifying while we were there. We have never been so happy to see German land in our lives! The worst part is that we were not refunded one cent upon our return. It was a total waste of money and time.

The last thing I should mention was that the other restaurants were not free when we were there. As a matter of fact they wanted to charge about 50 euros per person to eat outside of the main buffet. They lure you in with this all-inclusive nonsense and then they rape you with the "extras". We are so disappointed in the Prima Life Resort, TUI and ITS travel agencies. We will NEVER be using them again!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 27th of December 2008

Nice hotel

Good

"We stayed 7 nights at Prima Life, Makadi Bay. The lobby area, the restaurants, the garden, pool area are extremely beautiful, but the hotel rooms are not that luxurious. Bedroom is clean, but be careful with the bathroom. There is a fitness room which is quite ok.
The food is mainly European, delicious, and we had no problem with infections.
Hotel employees are nice, but they count on tips and they are too direct to women travelled alone - be careful!
If possible, exchange money at the airport, because the exchange of money is not always easy at the reception and the exchange rate is not the best. There is an ATM at the lobby area but the machine usually does not work.
If you would like to organize programs and not only bath in the sun and sea, be prepared that the prices of programs are high, and the city centre of Hurghada is only available by taxi or bus."

• Travel date: Sat 27th of September 2008

great

"The food was always different, if you did not wish to dine at the main restaurant then you could do so at one of the other restaurants with no extra charge.The food itself was both very tasty and surprisingly did not cause us any sort of diarhhea nor aches!"

• Travel date: Sat 6th of September 2008

Realy not a 5 star hotel

"I have stayed 11 days at Prima Life Makadi in april 2008.The hotel is not realy bad but have some problems that were not a pleasure for me.
First the room is small and tired the bathroom is not well finished every day we had water leaks on the bathroom floor,the minibar in the room had only 2 bottles of water during the staying and it will be filled only at demand and with money,10 euro per fill.The food was average and when you want something from show cooking you will get 20 grams of meat per person. the hotel is an all inclusive one but they are not happy if you want a coffee or something to drink. There are some good parts and overall it was a max 4 stars vacation."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of April 2008

Great for Families, but there are better choices for couples

Good

"As a couple, we spent the last week in Feb, 1st week in Mar when we were joined by friends. Overall, it was a good holiday, in many ways better than expected, but it's really a 'families with kids resort'. It's well laid out, with good sized rooms which are well looked after and pretty well if simply equipped (inc hairdryer, tea making, TV, security safe). The facilities are good too - pools and water slides (but best for kids), spa, fitness room, tennis courts, good selection of bars and restaurants, water coolers all over the complex, good range of food, loads of staff - so no problems there. But kids were everywhere, roller blading round the dining room, rushing round the lobby bar; there is nowhere you can sit as a couple or small group and have a quiet drink and a chat. The place really needs somewhere like that. It also needs a bit more organised entertainment. The animation staff were enthusiastic, and did a great kids' evening hooley - but in the main bar at 8.30! - they also tried hard to whip up support for beach sports, but their night 'shows' are best not mentioned.
Most of the other staff are friendly and helpful, though a few tout for tips (the baggage handlers being the worst), especially when they realise you're Brits. The majority of guests are East European
Makadi Bay is a nice big sandy crescent, from the Grand Makadi and Makadi Palace at the north end (on a rocky headland) , then Prima Life, Fort Arabesque and a couple of others round to the Iberotel complex about halfway round. Beyond that it's all new development, as it is most of the way into Hurghada. The beaches are great - sandy, safe, and clean, and the sea life is terrific - you can snorkel in just a few feet of water over coral reefs teeming with colourful fish. I stood knee deep one morning for about half an hour watching a 2 foot octopus hunting within yards of the beach - I could have touched it. For the more adventurous, there are plenty of snorkelling trips out to the islands and deeper reefs, and half a dozen dive centres.
There's nothing much to Makadi Bay apart from the hotels; these have a selection of the usual tourist shops, a couple of small supermarkets (at tourist prices), chemists and so on. The Prima Life has a bus into Hurghada 3 times a day for a small charge. It's worth a trip, though you'll be pestered by vendors and constantly hooted at by taxi drivers. There's a good selection of shops though (haggle!), and don't use the Bazaar you'll be dropped at (I think it's called the Camo Bazaar). The selection is poor and you can do better deals on the main street.
Would we go back? Yes to Makadi Bay for winter sun break (though the chilly wind during our 1st week meant we couldn't sit out in the evenings even though the temp was in the low 20's; the wind dropped and it warmed up by about 8 degrees during the fortnight, so the last week was very pleasant), but not to Prima Life unless we were taking young kids. For anyone else, I'd look at the other options."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of March 2008

Brilliant place Sheila & John Manchester

"Prima Life was brilliant the staff at the bars and the animation team were friendly, helpful and made the holiday for us. We were meant to go to Le Meridian we got notified that the pool would be closed for maintenance work and after reading reviews we had the opportunity to change and we were so glad we did, Le Meridian was like a building site.

Anyway, Prima Life is a smaller complex than the others which is good, they cater for everything especially families they have everything, there are 2 beach bars 1 serves snack and you can get freshly made pizza every day. There are 2 pool bars but only 1 open as it is not peak season, good friendly bar staff and you can get snacks there. The main restaurant served a really good wide choice of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner so much to choose from, we never had any problems with the food it was all great and tasted really good.

They are constantly cleaning, busy doing the gardens, painting they are always doing something, the cleaners in the rooms were really good, clean towels and bedding every day, I would put this as a 5 star.

There are 3 pools the largest was quite cold but they do have a heated pool that also caters for children, the 3rd pool is a small pool where you also have a childrens playground and play area.
There is also a pool where there are 3 or 4 water slides that are open twice a day

The beach is really nice and the snorkeling was brilliant so many different kinds of fish and coral right of your own beach absoulutly brilliant.
The drinks were all fine to drink you could have as much as you wanted, you can help yourself to all soft drinks, tea, coffee and water.
There were a number of bar staff that were outstanding especially Mena & Abdul they were brilliant and we keep in touch with them.
The Animation team were great very friendly get people involved and put on some really good shows.

When you read alot of reveiws and people say that the majority are Russian, we did not think that this was true oh believe me there are some and you know who they are, they are rude, ignorant, loud, scruffy, take over everywhere and drink 24/7, we met people from all over the world, Hungry, Slovakia, Germany, Dutch, Polish, not much English though, but that did not bother us we are quite freindly and sociable.

All in All a brilliant holiday and would recommend this to anybody
and yes we will be returning near the end of the year."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of February 2008

great family holiday

Good

"booked a late family holiday to prima life makadi, travelled with my husband and two children aged 7 and 4. this was our first trip to egypt and we were intially unsure as to whether it would be suitable for a family holiday, my mind was soon put to rest on arrival at hotel.

we had paid extra for a family room and i have to say it was well worth it. we had two big bedrooms a huge bed in each, both with balconies, one large bathroom and a fab seaview. i have to say the room was spotlessly clean and bed linen and towels were changed daily.

the main buffet restaurant was very good with a wide choice for breakfast lunch and dinner our two boys never had trouble finding something suitable and never went hungry. the only thing i would add was it was best to go early for the evening meal as the restaurant did get busy. you could also use the beach bar for lunch which was excellent as they cooked pizza to order.

we spent most days relaxing by the pool and as it wasnt peak season never had trouble with sunbeds it might be different in peak season . our children loved the kids pool and water slides.
there was one large heated pool but the main pool was ice cold. the hotel also has a private beach with small playground for kids and if you like snorkelling you have come to the right place.

the hotel provides entertainment both day and night you do not have to join in. the evening entertainment in very amateur but enjoyable in its own way and they do try hard. our children joined in with the mini disco which was not easy because we were the only english family but they enjoyed it and the staff especially danny made a real fuss of them.

to summarise this was a great family holiday and excellent value for money compared to the med. we never had any tummy troubles in two weeks. if i had to say one negative yes the service can be slow but your on holiday whats the rush. we shall be returning to egypt in 2008."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of October 2007

A Prime hotel

Good

"We enjoyed our stay here.
Rooms were very very clean, the hotel all-in-all was very well kept.
The food was always different, if you did not wish to dine at the main restaurant then you could do so at one of the other restaurants with no extra charge. The food itself was both very tasty and surprisingly did not cause us any sort of diarhhea nor aches!
The only minus we could find was that, this obviously being a children's oriented resort, there was a very large number of children during our stay.
Other than that, we had a great stay and could surely return again."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of September 2007

bad days

"Bad experience , i ll not repeat
my mom arm broken in the dining-room because of a hidden stairs and marble floor .. refusing enter a taxi from outside to transfer it to hospital except after a fight .. and it also happened to my friend in the last day
Cockroaches in rooms
bad dealing with customers ( Egyptians especially ).
Switching Towel Sea just from 8:00 am to 11:00 am if u found a dry ones .. and u have to complete the day with the wet.
irony look from the grand chief if u ask more food ..
ignoring from luggage stuff when u r out
reception talk silly to make us leave the hotel even when i told him that we still wait our bus
not the same price for all customers.. hard exclusive is cheaper than the soft.

• Travel date: Fri 25th of July 2014

Hotels near Prima Life Makadi

Stayed at Prima Life Makadi? Share your insight.

Prima Life Makadi is also called