Movie Gate Golden Beach Hotel

Km 12 Ahia Rd., Hurghada 01993 Egypt

A Great Hotel

"Dave and Ann from Worcester
Date 24 Oct 2006,
We stayed at this hotel from 6Oct til 20Oct 2006.
All the staff were very helpful, and polite. The room was clean, with clean linen every day.
The food was good and varied, it's amazing what can be done with chicken, fish and beef. There was a number of theme nights, unfortunately never a British night, but considering that at one point we were the only English people at the hotel it was understandable.
Most of the other guests were either German or Russian it would have been an advantage to speak either of those laguages as most of the staff were fluent in both but seemed to struggle with English. This didn't spoil our time there and we would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing break.
I would also recommend the Snorkling trip which can be booked at the hotel, a full day on a boat visiting two snorkling sites and time on an island for those of us not confident in deep water. All this plus a meal and a very entertaining guide, all for £20 well worth the money."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of October 2006

Loved the camel dodi

"Stayed in Calimera Golden beach resort on 4th -18th August 2006. Last year we went to Sharm El Sheik but I was much more impressed with Hurghada. The hotel was out of this world. There were two big swimming pools at each end of the hotel which were connected with a long thin pool which represented the nile.we were going to swim from one end of the pool to the other every day for exercise but it was far too hot. Pool number one was by the main hotel where you ate all your meals and pool number two was down by the beach where you could have snacks nearly all day> The drinks system there I thought was brilliant outside your accomodation and throughout the hotel were drinks dispensers for you to help yourself so there were never any queues it was brilliant. in the mornin we used to sit by the pool and in the afternoon by the beach because it got too hot,but the wind would be pretty strong but very welcome..

There was only me and my son who stayed in this hotel as I am a single parent family but there were plenty of english people there to chat to. The english sort of stayed together after a couple of days so we went on trips and things together, there were 14 of us altogether. We just hired the minibus and all went out together. Dont miss out on the all day boat trip we had dolphins swimming back with us it was brilliant.

The beach right at the back of the hotel had a tide but you couldnt quite time it right whether it was going to be in or out it depended on how windy it was in the day but it was just like getting in the bath at home red hot. I have been to Egypt before but never come across so many crabs the kids were in their element if you are on the beach and you stand very still the crabs start popping up out of the sand. Not a crab lover but you sort of got used to them. Beach very clean and I would prefer it to Sharm beaches because they are very flat.

I have no complaints at all about the hotel, food,etc I just wish more people put reviews on here and they eventually put the hotel in a brochure.You definately dont know what you're missing. On my departure my son and myself even went in to see the manager to say what an excellent time we had had and that we would definately visit them again. Book now you dont know what youre missing."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of September 2006

A great place to stay!

Good

"Just got back from a fantastic 2 weeks - food was great, hotel was fab, beach was ok (not the best snorkelling) , weather amazing, rooms clean , fantastic animation team and friendly staff, lots for kids to do, the list goes on and on - it was a nearly 4 star hotel in our opinion - the food was plentiful and had a huge selection which kept all of us happy - the beach bar was a briliant idea where you could go for lo key breakfast and lunch - the beach was lovely and clean - the coral not so good here and you did have to wade out a long way to get to deep water but still some amazing fish to see - our best trip was with Mido from the dive school - he took us out with a crew of 4 - we joined with another english family and had a huge boat to ourselves for the whole day and went swimming with dolphins - what an experience - one of the crew came snorkelling with you too and showed us loads of amzing fish and turtles and stingrays etc! We did the trip to Cairo by plane which was a long day but worth it - we also went quad biking in the desert and had a bbq meal with show etc which was good - overall a relaxing but busy 2 weeks! The only badish tings I can think of, were that there weren't too many other english there so the older kids could get bored, apart from that we had a great time - i don't think that we will go back though as it is a very german hotel (everything was in euros) but also because of the beach (I have had better snorkelling) but if you are just going to relax and to have sun and lots of pools and enjoy a few trips out then I would recommend!"

• Travel date: Sat 26th of August 2006

all is true about this hotel

Good

"just returned from this hotel. it is a bit out of the way but more than makes up for this with large grounds and excellent service. ladies dont be supprised to find a man in the toilets cleaning, all the cleaners are male. this is a real all inclusive hotel, plenty to eat and drink. the hotel is german based but everyone can speak good english. there is lots to do....scuba, windsurfing, kitesurfing, massage, jeeps, quadbikes and the usual pool activites. yes there is a windfarm oppisite but there is no noise from it. it is breezy but it makes the 35d heat feel good. there is a website.....Calimera but it is in german. there are some pictures of the hotel on it. ENJOY."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of June 2006

Great hotel!!

Good

"Myself & my boyfriend stayed here for 1 week. Aparently there were only 11 english people staying in the whole hotel, which you could tell. We had a room in the main hotel overlooking the main pool, nice little room. We got clean towels & room cleaned everyday. The hotel itself is very clean, I had no complaints at that. Staff were very friendly & helpful. Went on the desert safari on the quad bikes, brilliant day & would recommend anyone staying to book. We left the hotel at 1pm and got a lift into Hughada centre where we got the minibus, picked a few people up & went to the desert. Got on our quad bikes and had a good hour to 2 hours riding round the desert on them. Got to the bedouin village & had a tour round to see how they live & how they make their money. At the end of the day we watched the sunset between the mountains then had some dinner then set back off (it was pitch black by then!). Bit scary coming back but would definatley do it again.
The food wasn't really up to much but then again I'm too fussy. There was a good selection and was all nicely presented. The local beer was Stella!! Not Artois though, it was a locally produced beer but it was very very nice!"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of April 2006

Great Hotel

"This Hotel was great. Staff were brilliant. Very friendly and spoke English very well.

The meals were really nice with a choice of about 10 different dishes every day. Facilties are very good. it's really is a 4 star hotel!!!

Recommend this hotel to anyone. I will come again some day?

Paul and Jan"

• Travel date: Fri 31st of March 2006

Calimera Golden Beach

"When i booked this hotel over the telephone, via teletext the guy on the end of the phone highly recomended it. So i booked it leaving my wife and kids, two weeks to pack and me two weeks to find out what the hotel was like and also the surrounding area. Though there were no english reports on this hotel there are plenty of dutch, german and russian and all you need is to find a free online translator and way hey bobs your uncle!!!
Hurghada is definatly in the process of being built, and as other reports mention there is nothing either side of this hotel for miles. If you do use a taxi i recomend the guy from the hotel, he maybe a pound or two dearer than ones you stop on the roadside, but one thing for sure is that you wont get hassled, you pay him before you leave and arrange a pick up time and hell be there. If you do get hassled by any shopkeeper tell him and he will have them KILLED!!!!!
say no more. The hotel is kept spotless, there is a constant army of cleaners sweeping or moping. The staff are very friendly, and will bend over backwards to help you. cosidering you are nearly 3,000 miles away from home the food is actually not bad, the best ive had at AI for a long time. You do get a good variety every night and most nights it is themed (i.e. egyptian night, italian night, candlelight etc, etc) even though not all the food is!!
King Tuts disco which is downstairs opposite reception stays open till 2am, the AI finishes at 1am, midnight in all other bars in the hotel.
Yes, it is windy in hurghada but with the free large windbreakers you dont notice a thing, until you get up that is and your blown into the pool - no only joking about that but generally dec, jan and feb are the windiest months.

This hotel does cater a lot for germans, dutch russian etc, but this did not bother us infact germans were quite friendly, well the ones that we met, but there were one or two which i wanted to chuck in the pool!!! At the end of the day every one is on holiday to enjoy themselves.

In the hotel you have a variety of of services and trips, I would highly recommend the dessert safari, 3 hours of fun 1 hour on a quad bike going int the red sea mountains, visiting a bedouin village, drink tea, have a smoke of the sheesha, chill out with every one else, then back on the bikes for an hours drive back to base, 100km an hour across the sand is ab-fab!!!! Try the diving, snorkeling, glass boat, sea fishing, camel rides all available at this hotel, not forgetting all these activities has to be paid for seperate. Another enjoyable place to go is El-Gouna a fifteen minute taxi ride away from the hotel, mainly a tourist resort, and has a golf course( or as the taxi driver explains it "a green golf" !!!
Entertainment is very poor, as someone has already said, and anyway it does get chilly this time of year in the evenings, so maybe it wasnt a bad thing that we missed it. I will warn you, if you order a cocktail expect to wait up to 10 mins for them to make it, they love to show off, even though they cant do it, trying to catch ice they chuck in the air with your glass, when this is done it takes an age for the juice to be done in a blender, but what fun, you do have to pinch yourself sometimes just to prove to youself that you are there.
This hotel is not the best in the world, but it probably is one of the best in Hurghada, i would rate it as 4* i will try to get some more pics uploaded soon, any questions please feel free to mail me"

• Travel date: Sun 5th of February 2006

Wide Berth

"Just back from this Hotel 7th - 21st Jan 06

Was a bit concerned that we couldn't find any reviews about it before we went. The Hotel itself was ok, rooms quite large and comfortable with a TV and a fridge. Food, not 4*, in our opinion, perhaps 2/3*, but we are fussy, we have had better in 4* in other parts of Europe. The pools were lovely as were the staff at this Hotel. The beach was not as we had expected, water was quite 'Murkey', it was very shallow and you could walk out quite a way and still be waist deep, ideal for children, just watch out for the wretched Sea Urchins (ouch). The drinks we found ok, as always with AI you don't get a huge choice, but what there was, was plentiful and we certainly have no complaints there...We didn't try the 'King Tuts' disco and bar so can't comment there.

Our main gripe about this Hotel is the fact that it is geared up mainly for German guests, I actually felt quite intimidated by them at times. The entertainment was all aimed at them, though they did make the odd attempt to speak English !! saying that we did meet a nice German couple and had a few drinks with them one night, but in all they do tend to 'stick together', there was also a large amount of Russian guests as well. I think this explains why I couldn't find much about this hotel before we went.

Hurghada is not a 'English' resort,it's a German Haven, but to be quite honest from what we saw they are welcome to it!!!You need to get a Taxi which is about £3 (watch out here and don't pay any more, they will try it on)as the hotel is quite a way out, not much around. There is some cheap shopping to be had in Town, but it is all much the same, cheap Tat and fakes. Watch out for the prices as well, they see you are English and Treble the price, what ever the price is don't pay any more than a 3rd of it, they do expect you to haggle! They are also very pushy and don't take no as an answer, we found sometimes we had to be quite abrupt with them, we also found that we couldn't just wander around looking as, as soon as you stopped/slowed down you were hassled to go in and look, sign there 'Guest Books' or have a cup of Tea (be careful here as they don't use bottled water) I personally did not enjoy this experience at all, I felt uncomfortable all the time and on edge and couldn't wait to get back to the hotel. It does have a lot of building work going on and has a 'dirty' feel to it but if you stick to the Hotel grounds(recommended) you won't see any much of it so there for it shouldn't make any difference to your holiday.(The groundS were nice)

I wouldn't go back to Hurghada, in fact I don't think I would go back to Egypt, but if I did I would certainly go elsewhere. It was very windy whilst we were there and I am led to believe that this is the case all year round. On the whole I had a relaxing 2 weeks whilst in the Hotel and enjoyed some summer sun. I think I would have been a bit miffed if this was my only holiday a year, fortunately for us we do have 2 or 3!! So roll on the summer. Hope this helps."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of January 2006

Calimera is a little dissapointing

"Transfered to the Calimera after booking into Beach Albatros (Hurghada). Found the Calimera much better. We had a first floor room near the beach. It was larger than the average "Spainish" resort rooms, although the layout was traditional. The room had seen better days and is rapidly approaching the need for an upgrade. The Calimera is an older hotel and is showing its age. The site is set out with the main hotel building at one end Approx 300m from beach, with two rows of rooms either side of the site streching down to the beach. The site has 3 pools one at each end and connected by a long thin pool. The 2 main pools represent the Med and the Red sea with a connecting pool representing the Nile. They were all cold although the "Quiet Pool"(Main Building end) seemed warmer after about 3PM.
The rest of the site has a Childs playground, large chess board, shuffle boards and the usual tennis, sauna , gym and massage.
The gardens are well tended and full of colours of green and various flowers.
The hotel staff were all very friendly are very helpful. Our maid (all men in egypt) left towel sculptures on our bed with flowers, all very romantic.
The food was Buffet and the reaturant laid out a different theme each night. The style was mainly European with omly one night being Egyptian. Although the food was acceptable we would have prefered more local dishes. Because the Calimera is an AI hotel the range of drinks is very limited and not very impressive. They were drinkable but only just. The fruit juices they served were more like cordials as opposed to what we would expect normally. The hotel does not have a Non Smoking policy in its resturants and the other guests would smoke all the way through every meal time.
Appart from a few breaks food was available throughout the day at either the main resturant or the beach resturant.
The weather was quite windy, which was not due to the time of year. I'm sure of this because out the front door of the Hotel is a substantial wind farm with approx 40 Turbines. These caused no problem at all but that kind of infrastructure investment isn't made because of one or two weeks of windy weather a year. I would therefore suggest that this area is windy all year round. (good for the windsurfer?)
The hotel and Hurghada is used almost exclusively by Germans and Russians, there are other nationals there but they are few and far between. Again this didn't cause any real problems except for all the entertainment was aimed directly at them. In the small out-door theatre we found ourselves sat in Egypt watching a fairy tale being performed in German, it didn't quite feel right:-o.
The hotel is miles away from anywhere and the only practical way to get around is by Taxi. All the hotels are well spaced out but Hurghada does resemble a major building site with lots of backfill going on. It resenble Spain in the early 70's. No doubt it will be very nice once its finished.
The sea at the Hotel's own beach is vey shallow and does not get upto waist depth until you are approx 200m. However the sea bed is muddy and very slippy, subsequently very few fish to see so snorkelling for small children or poor swimmers is not very good. To get to see the expected red sea fish you need to pay to be taken out to the reef.
Overall, despite the occasional blast from the Animation Team over the load speakers on the beach, the Calimera was a fairly quiet hotel with reasonable facilities. More local food would have improved it and better quality of food and drink. It filled the criteria for us, a lazy quietish week with some winter sun. Would i go back? Probably not, not until the resort was finished and a No Smoking policy was introduces in the resturants."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of January 2006

At last someone who has been to Calimera ......... ME

Good

"Just returned (december 31st 2005) from Calimera. Before we went I tried desperately to speak to someone who had been to Calimera, with no success. I was therefore very aprehensive about the hotel. Room was fabulous, we had a a family suite in the main hotel, quite luxurious, two bedrooms and lounge, with two balconys, TV and fridge, room was immaculate. The reception staff extremely helpful. Plenty of choice for the meals, we all enjoyed the food (and no stomach bugs). Plenty to do at the hotel, King Tuts disco, a quieter bar for the oldies, plus another smaller bar. Tennis courts, gym with sauna etc., massage, and pedicures, fabulous pool (although extremely cold) only managed to go in twice - and I normally cant keep out of the pool. Crazy golf, giant chess game, small train to take you aound hotel, and a lovely beach bar. Camel rides and horse rides on private beach, Banana boat, windsurfing, etc, shops in hotel as well. Need to catch bus or taxi into town, but if you are only going for 1 week there is so much going on you wont need to venture out too much, we didnt. Hope this is helpful."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of January 2006

fantastic hotel

"Just got back from this beautiful hotel, I have been to egypt several times and this is the only hotel I have returned to. The staff are fantastic, very friendly especially the bar lads. Children are well catered for by the animation team. The food was excellent always fresh and plenty of choice. There are five pools one of which is heated and the gardens are very well kept. Our room was immaculately clean- with are cleaner keeping us amused with his creative displays of towel arranging every day. Entertainment great - allsorts of games on the beach during the day, and shows on at the thaetre every night. All in all a very good hotel which we hope to return to again very soon.....Kathleen and Sheila"

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of March 2011

hidden extra's

"We usually go to Sharm El Sheikh all inclusive and have found it excellent in every way.
This time we decided to try Hurghada, again all inclusive and see a diferent part of the country, unfortunately the holiday was marred from the very beginning as we arrived at the hotel where we had booked a double room with a double bed.
When we examined the room there was no balcony and there were two single beds we asked to be moved to a room with a balcony and a double bed.
The reception then told me I would have to pay an extra £120 to have a balcony and the room had only two single beds.
I have checked the web page and can find no mention of any extra cost being incurred for a room with a balcony.
I hope this review will act as a warning to people thinking of going to the Calimera Ocean Beach, watch out for the extras."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of March 2009

Hotels near Movie Gate Golden Beach Hotel

Stayed at Movie Gate Golden Beach Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Movie Gate Golden Beach Hotel

• johnandjoy48 by johnandjoy48

"Be prepared to use taxi "

Movie Gate Golden Beach Hotel is also called