About Hotel La Perla

• darts
  • street parking amenities
  • russian amenities
  • fishing amenities
  • free public parking nearby
  • billiards
  • snorkeling amenities
  • diving
  • sofa

Awful La Pela

Reviewed Thu 25th of June 2009

"A very disappointing holiday. The hotel had no facilites or entertainment as described, it was completely dead. The food was mostly unedible with hardly any choice. I spotted a cockroach on the so called buffet table. The room was very basic, hygiene needs to be improved.

My room was at the back of the hotel it was very noisy and the view was of a building site
and dust and sand. The swimming pool was dirty it got so bad it was unusable.
The hotel is run rentirely by men, showing a lack of respect for women; yet expected to cater to female guest.

The men working at the hotel were very disrespectful to the women guest and spent most of the time staring and making inappropriate comments. We had very little privacy. The security and desk staff were ripping the clients off by bumping up the taxi fares so they got a commission. This is just a brief version. I would never stay at this hotel again, it is very poor value. The beach was not connected to the hotel, it was 10-15 minutes away. The hotel is unusuitable for a disabled person and its in the middle of nowhere.

The best part of the holiday was discovering the little advertised massage salon run by Ali a perfessionally trained massage therapist. He was very caring, respectful and sympathetic of both elderly and other clients. I am disable and his therapies including his amazing lymphatic drainage treatment did wonders for me, i was totally energised.

If you want a quiet holiday with no activities, eating out every night and good massage therapies to get you in shape this might be the place for you. Ali is highly recommended."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of June 2009

Awful food

Reviewed Fri 24th of April 2009

"The hotel was clean, the plumbing worked, the staff were friendly. That's the good points dealt with. The location was poor - in a sort of no man's land between the town and the pleasant resort area. To walk anywhere you had to pick your way along rubble strewn pavements where building sites spilled over on to them.
I have stayed in hotels in Turkey and Tunisia where people have complained about the food and I have considered the food to be fine, so I don't think I am a picky eater. I certainly do not expect English food when I am abroad. Most of the clientele in this hotel were Russian/East European but looking at their faces wrinkling with disgust left me in no doubt that they hated the food as well. Breakfast was uneatable- rock hard boiled eggs/rosti/bean stew/damp toast/stale buns/"butter" like lard - need I go on? After three days we gave up and paid £4 each for breakfast at the bakery down the road. Evening meal:- Day 1 Rubbery fish, Day 2 Liver, Day 3 Rubbery meat, Day 4 Rubbery fish, Day 5 Liver, Day 6 Rubbery meat, Day 7 Rubbery fish."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of April 2009

The rooms were brilliantly cleaned altho...

Reviewed Sun 24th of February 2008

"The rooms were brilliantly cleaned although a little tired in decor but nothing to complain about. The food was good with a variety of meat, fish, soup and veg each day. The staff were very nice and always helpful. Alaa on the pool bar is very good and so is Mohammed Ali the pool attendent. Just slot him a few pounds each week and he will guarantee you get a good sunbed in the right position to catch the sun all day. Also the bar man is excellent and very witty as well as the waiters and cooks. We always got the sunloungers in the sun as there were not many guests to take up all the beds. The pools were lovely and clean but very cold. Good location to the shopping centre round the corner and next door to a good diving centre.

In all a good holiday where all my needs were met as far as a hotel goes. A lot of people who were moaning about it before on this sight are obvioulsy wanting the Hilton but not prepared to pay for it. This is good value for money and I would come here again."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of February 2008

Tatty with Lack of Facilities

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Since discovering TripAdvisor a year ago, I always consult reviews before booking a hotel. I have 4 star tastes but only a lower 3 star budget these days and so I really need to find affordable quality.

Every other time I have gone on TripAdvisor, I have been very happy. I must admit that I got to feeling quite smug about the whole thing - pitying those not in the know about how they have to take a gamble on what they read in the brochures.

I guess that I should have realized that one time my luck was going to run out. And it did with La Perla.

We weren't due to stay here anyway. We had booked and paid the deposit on a more expensive 4 star hotel with better reviews, but the travel agent messed it up and told us the next day that it was fully booked. I decided to take a chance on La Perla as the reviews were generally positive.

This was a mistake.

The hotel is one of the oldest in Hughada. And it shows.

There are signs of neglect everywhere. The place needs a complete refurbishment badly as it looks tatty in the extreme.

What was worse though was the complete lack of facilities in the room. My girlfriend was mortified that there was no hairdryer; I was annoyed that there were only 5 channels on the TV and none of those were tuned in properly, and no remote control.

We had one of those tiny bars of hotel soaps for the whole 9 days we were there. A bathroom door that shut properly, let alone locked, would have been nice too.

Using the water was always a random experience as every time you turned on the taps/faucets you never know what was going to happen. Some times nothing would come out at all; at other times you got scalding hot from both the warm and cold taps.

Cleanliness was average. When a room is that old, it's hard to keep it spotless, but at least they tried.

The first day I thought that the food was pretty good as long as you got there within half an hour of them bringing it out. However, we soon discovered that the chef's repertoire only covered 8 recipes of which 6 were available on any one day and so it got very boring very quickly and so we ended up eating out mostly just to avoid it.

The staff were friendly but incompetent. If Mr Bean worked there, he would win the employee of the month award every month.

On the plus side, the location was pretty good, being right in the centre of 'Greater Hurghada' meaning that nowhere was too far to travel. The area was also nice and quiet.

I hadn't checked the map properly - I thought that it was on the beach but it wasn't, although they have an arrangement with another hotel just a couple of minutes' walk away so it was not a huge problem.

The bad definitely outweighed the good though. My girlfriend was even less impressed with the place than I was and was moaning about it, which put me in a bad mood and this spiralled out of control until we reached the stage when we spent most of the 9 days not talking to one another. It was the worst holiday I can remember, partly due to La Perla, which is a shame as I was pleasantly surprised by Hurghada in general and would definitely go back again, but definitely to a different hotel next time."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of October 2007

This is a pleasant hotel, I went on my o...

Reviewed Thu 20th of September 2007

"This is a pleasant hotel, I went on my own and have stayed in many hotels in Sharm. I choose to be outside Naama Bay as prefer a quieter area, although taxis are cheap and it is not far, This is a three star and quite a good three at that.

All the staff were pleasant, and helpful. and not to the point where they were asking you to do activities or have a massage every day.

The majority of the customers are Italian, which to be honest I found refreshing as there is nothing more annoying than sitting by a pool with a load of whining brits who will find anything to moan or complain about.

I get the feeling most brits don't have a good holiday unless they have complained. (lets face it a small B&B cost £25+ a night in UK and you have no flight on that, no sunshine and staff who speak less English than the Egyptians).

The food here was ok nothing to jump up and down about, there are many nice restaurants around, and if you venture to the old market you can get a fantastic meal for £3 but may not be a flash place with regards to decor. I have never had an upset tummy from the food and have been here at least 7 times.

Please give this small hotel a try it has two swimming pools, clean, good sized rooms with balconies and air conditioning. . large restaurant and reception area air conditioned. it was not full of children when I went.

I would go back tomorrow, and recommend it to others.

The staff in the shops are all friendly and helpful. The Beauty Centre at the hotel was particularly good was even open late at night if you couldn't be bothered to do your hair, get them to do it for you."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of September 2007

We stayed in the La Perla for two weeks...

Reviewed Fri 17th of August 2007

"We stayed in the La Perla for two weeks with three children, aged 9, 12 and 14. We had a great time and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. It helps to always be willing to tip for any job done no matter how small.

We experienced a few of the trips with "Omar" the hotel trip organiser and again he couldn't do enough to make sure we had a great time. It would have been better for us to have had transfer arrangements booked in advance. This was not included and it is difficult trying to organise yourself, 3 kids and luggage with a mass of haggling taxi drivers shouting their fee in your face! However we managed to tackle them all and for the price of £2 we arrived safely at the hotel.

The hotel had a reasonably good buffet breakfast and evening meal which we all enjoyed as well as the free entertainment every other night. This included belly dancing and local dancers of various sorts - great value. Taxi's and local buses never seem to stop running and are available outside the doors of the hotel. The shops are a 10min walk away or you can venture to Sakala where the locals shop.

The hotel itself is basic but reasonably clean. Although I'm not sure it would match a 3* hotel here but we have to say the friendly staff really do make up for the rooms.

We certainly will go back, maybe not next year, but you never know!"

• Travel date: Fri 17th of August 2007

love he resort

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"this is not a 4 star luxury hotel more 2 stars the bedrooms are very tired and not comfortable. the food was adequate. very disappointed with overall holiday as this hotel has great potential and if it were not for the staff i would have booked out We booked all inclusive only too discover that we were being charged for teas /coffee soft drinks on our arrival. but this changed by way of protesting to the hotel management after 3 days. the pool areas are by far the best of the hotel. The reception area was where most of the guests complained of being bitten by mossies .I would go back to sharm but book into a named 5 star hotel closer to Naama Bay.The service we recieved from the staff was exceptional and this is where I would put the 4 stars"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of June 2007

Really good hotel, nice place to visit

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"La Perla was overall a fantastic place to stay whilst on holiday in Hurghada. It had everything you need from a hotel. It was clean and tidy, comfortable and had tremendous staff. The room had a nice balcony, and air con inside which was a life saver. The poolside bar offered some decent food, and there was an Italian and Chinese restaurant attached to the hotel that were of a very high standard and reasonably priced. So if you don’t want to venture too far away from the hotel in the evenings there are places to dine within the immediate complex. If you want sample other places away from you hotel, then it is easy to get a taxi into the new town where there are a variety of different places to eat. Ask at the hotel how much it should be to get a taxi into the new town, when I was there I think they said 8-10 Egyptian pounds – I generally paid about 10 I think. I think people will always find things that they enjoy when they’re away, so I’ll just give general pointers of things to watch out for.

Make sure you haggle with the taxi drivers before you get in – they will ask for a ridiculous price to start with –just say no, and offer a couple of pounds less than what the hotel staff advised, and you should get the taxi for a reasonable price eventually. Be careful though, one taxi driver agreed to charge 15 pound to take us to the old town. When we were half way there he wanted the money, so we gave him 15 pounds. He then said no, we agreed 15 euros. Which works out at something ridiculous in Egyptian money. He threatened to stop and make us get out – we were somewhere in between old and new town! Just be stern, and stand your ground without being confrontational, and if needs be threaten to call the tourist police and they will stand down. Another thing to watch out for is the boys collecting in the back. We had one who had david blaine type hands, and switched the 5 pound note we gave him for a 5 piatsa note, and asked for more money. Again, just stand your ground if this happens…it may be handy to hold the note in front so both you and he can see it, and confirm what you’re giving him. Some Egyptians will try to rush and fluster you so they can pull a fast one.
This is going a bit negative here, and I don’t want it to, but I will just list a couple of other things, that are merely trifle inconveniences rather than negatives.
-You will be hassled into shops in the main town. Just give a polite no thank you and keep walking. They may well follow you, and ask things like where are you from etc, or say they don’t want to sell, just be a friend. Again say no thank you and keep going. Don’t stop and answer their questions! You’ll be roped into going in the shop somehow!
-You have to pay to get onto the beach belonging to La perla, and cannot take your own water with you.
-The pool can be shady in the afternoons, so if you plan on using the pool and beach, do the pool in the morning.

These are the only things that I found a bit annoying. Overall it was a fantastic holiday. I recommend an island boat trip where you can snorkel over reefs as well as lie on beautiful white beaches. A trip to the old town is ok, although I wouldn’t say it is a must see. The aquarium is very cheap, and ok to waste 15 mins, but you see most of the things when you’re snorkling anyway. Sheesha is a nice novelty thing to try even if you are a non smoker. It is nothing dodgy as some people think, just flavoured tobacco - try apple or mint. The smoke is not harsh because it has been cooled by the water.
There is a club on the beach which is worth a visit if you want a nightclub type thing, and a couple of Irish bars which are quite lively.

I think to sum it up, it’s a great place, great hotel, and well worth a holiday. Just be careful you don’t get ‘had’, the locals will try things on all the time – be sure of yourself and you’ll be fine."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of May 2007

Excellent stay!!!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"The La Perla Hotel is excellent. We got a bargain deal here in 2005 and ended up being given a very large double room with terrace/balcony which nearly matched the actual hotel room in size! From our room we had views of the pool and beautiful gardens. Air con was good as temperatures were extremely high. It was a short walk to the hotels private beach which a small fee was paid for access. The beach was very clean with white sands and clear waters. From the hotel you could pick up cheap 'taxi' tranfers to the main street of the area where there are numerous restaurants/bars/belly dancing rooms/shops and clubs. Everything is catered for here! You will be hassled walking down the streets and I advice women cover up, but if you are polite and say 'no thank you' you are usually left alone straight away. Be careful being asked into shops and offered a drink (it is thought rude to refuse?!) but once inside it can be difficult to leave without purchasing something - remember to haggle and get the prices way down if there is something you like! The La Perla hotel has several resturants incluing a Pizza place and Chinese restuarant both of which were of high quality. The staff were excellent, very helpful and pleasant, offering advice on taxi prices (the taxi drivers often try to rip you off-always agree a price before starting the journey), one memebr of hotel staff even offering to give us a tour of the local town and make sure we paid the correct prices for local goods. All in all an excellent break, made perfect by the hotel, its location and staff! Highly recommended!"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of April 2007

It was really nice

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"I went to this hotel with my grown up son, but was soon on my own as he went travelling around Egypt.
It was so safe, and with its friendly atmosphere I was soon joined by new friends. The Hotel has the advantage of being a 2 egyptian pound bus trip to the town centre or the other direction takes you to a brand new resort with superb beaches and parades of shops all in the vicinty of 5 star hotels such as the Marriot. Food was really pleasant and some nights entertainment was provided in the bar. The hotel is very reasonably priced and very clean. I would definately return there.
Carole Rashidi"

• Travel date: Tue 20th of February 2007

Very good Holiday

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"This was our first visit to Egypt. The hotel was average, nothing fancy or special about it APART from the staff! they were all very friendly, helpful and approachable. The rooms were cleaned every day and the fab cleaners(men) left us something different to look at each day, flowers by the bed and petals on the towels in the bathroom and each day they made something out of the towels and left it on the bed, we had a swan, a cobra, a flower and even a baby! They came every day and asked if the room was ok. We stayed half board but would suggest that you stay B&B coz the food was a bit samey. We had a good laugh with the waiters tho and they spoke good English to us and mostly understood what we were saying.All in all a great place to stay.A+++++"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of December 2005

What a place!!!

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"My fiance and myself booked to stay at La Perla as it was a great price!!! We were a bit surprised at the location and the unfinished look of the rooms. Do not expect luxury you will not get it. You are not by the beach but the pool area is lovely. The food is good (the buffet food is 'interesting') but I would suggest not booking half board as there are some lovely restaurants close by and very cheap to eat out, a meal for 2 with drinks is about £12. This is a budget hotel but your room will be cleaned every day! All I will say is that the staff make your holiday very special indeed. Nothing is too much trouble for them. We had a surprise enagement party thrown for us by the manager, Ashraf, with traditional band, belly dancing and a huge cake! In the end we did not want to leave. We have made so many new friends and can't wait to go back and see them all. Well worth a visit......but don't be afraid to venture out and see the sites!!"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of September 2005

Hotels near Hotel La Perla

Top traveller tips for Hotel La Perla

• Dotterel by Dotterel

"Apart from water based activities, there is nothing to see or do. "

• purpleheavanz by purpleheavanz

"Beware, avoid La Perla, Get a massage from Ali "

• purpleheavanz by purpleheavanz

"There was little to see in Hurghada, A tripnto Cairo was good "

Hotel La Perla is also called