Golden 5 Paradise Resort

Hurghada Shahl Hasheesh Road, Hurghada 84512 Egypt

Your hotel is overbooked

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"....... the famous phrase that many people have to hear after having collected your baggage and being greeted by the annoyingly over the top smiling tour rep......... "I'm sorry my friend, your hotel is overbooked". This is how our trip to Hurghada began. I naively said that as long as, as he had promised us, we get to go to our hotel after a couple of days, it's fine. At this point I'll just add that based on our experience, do think twice and then think again about booking your holiday in Egypt with the company tourops in Cologne. It was a disaster and 10 months later, we're still waiting for the partial refund ordered through the courts.

Anyway, the alternative hotel........ our first two nights were in the outer complex and due to the mouldy bath, we complained and after two days were able to change rooms to the inside of the hotel. This room really was very nice. Everything was functional and the service, as long as they were tipped on a daily basis, were at times annoyingly over the top but relatively efficient. You really do have to ask regularly to have the minibar topped up but as the room service always seemed to be lurking closeby, eveything is possible for a small tip of course. This tipping system in Egypt seems to extend to every man and his dog. I would suggest that you get over the fact that your simply giving your money away to everyone who believes that they have served you some form of service. At this point I will agree that 10 Egyptian dollars converts to only 1 Euro or there abouts but believe me, every man Jack is after a tip and over a two week period, despite having your towels formed into swans on your bed, the taxi driver opening the door for you, the chap at departures snapping your hand luggage out of your hands to put it on the x-ray belt it really does mount up.

The restaurant to which, as all inclusuve guests, we were restriced served pretty much the same food on a regular basis but it really was OK, not great or even good but OK. The only things which bothered me about the restaurant were the tiny plastic cups in which you received your lukewarm drinks after having cued up for 10 minutes, the bolshy waiters who only either hustled you to another area for unknown reasons or reluctantlywent off to get you your missing cutlery. For the waiters as well I will only mention the phrase "personal hygene" here. No more needs to be said.
After about two days, I was beginning to feel slightly nauseous due to the strange sickly smell the which generated from the main dining area and then drifted through to pretty much all of the hotel. I really couldn't pinpoint the smell, it may have evn been some strange cleaning product.

The beach....... the diving is fantastic (this is run by Germans so it is all noticeably efficiently run) in Egypt with lovely warm waters and plenty to see.

Lying on the beach to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet is not an option. At regular intervals you will be woken (yes...... they will wake you up if you're having a snooze) by a smiling chap grinning at you with the annoyingly common greeting "Hello my Friend!" and offering you every possible type of tourist service you can possibly imagine. These friendly persistant salespersons are to say the least a complete pain in the backside. Most won't take a simple and polite no for an answer and insist on touching you, kneeling down in front of you or even taking the book out of your hand you were so indulged in. Pretending that you're asleep is a no win situation either. Getting annoyed also brings you some degree of misery as well. Telling them that you have already booked all of the courses or services they re offering with someone else doesn't work either. Exactly the same happens at the poolside.

All in all, I wouldn't return to this hotel. I would expect a hotel to keep a check on what happens to their guests a the beach and poolside regarding the constant touting from the numerous and penetrating "sales professionals". Granted, the fiasco we went through with our travel company also didn't put us in the right frame of mind and we may have not been as tolerant as usual. The hotel management were aware of our situation and did what they could to help. All the same, the Golden 5 is definately not what I would consider a 5 star hotel even in Egyptian terms although within the hotel, the rooms really are quite nice. The restaurant is acceptable, the general service (apart from the floor manager who dealt with us exceptionally well) are below standard and it's a fair old hike to the beach from the hotel.

I'm glad that I have that off my chest and I only hope that my comments helps other unsuspecting souls even if my words only have a theraputic effect due to confirmation of the thoughts and experiences you have from your own visit."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of July 2006

Golden 5 Hotel & Beach Resort

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from the Golden 5 Hotel & Beach Resort staying fully inclusive at the Almas Palace. To say we were worried before we went is an understatement. After reading the comments on the website, I tried to change the resort, with no success, so was really not looking forward to the holiday much at all. I would like to say to anyone going to this resort that I find the comments I've read on this website largely unbelievable. We are not big hotel holiday makers and it is the first time we have done an all inclusive hotel but I would find it difficult to find fault with anything - my only complaint all week was that I would have loved to have had some melon for breakfast. The rooms, the beach and all the social areas were spotlessly clean, the food and drink were good and the staff themselves were faultless. There were a lot of Russians in the hotel but this didn't present any problem at all as far as we were concerned. All in all by husband and I had a thoroughly relaxing holiday in a very nice environment. A week is long enough but I felt I had to write on our return after reading the reviews again so say that we simply can't relate to them at all."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of February 2006

Don't even think about!

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Just returned from the Golden Five (main resort). On arrival to our room we were received by a very loud screaming noise (like a 'white noise' used in interragations I believe!). The bell boy assured me that 'the noise stops in five minutes' took his tip and disappeared. Three hours and no sleep later (and after 5 trips to reception) we finally got moved room. New room had no hot water and broken TV but at least it was peaceful. Had to tip again for the move! By the third day we both had food poisoning. The food was dire-never hot at the best luke warm. We survived on bread rolls mostly. We booked the overnight trip to luxor to get out of the place. And stayed in a proper 5 star hotel that was superb. Unfortunatley had to return to the G5. We were constantly harrassed by our cleaner for more money (we were tipping him 20 LE a day which is good) or to change euros that he had collected. He stopped cleaning the bathroom by the fourth day but still expected more money. The evening entertainment is a joke-where is it??. If you do choose to venture out the Golden gates into Hurghada keep your wits about-you will need them."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of January 2006

I'm glad I'm not Russian!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"After having booked the hotel, we then checked the reviews!! And subsequently arrived with some trepidation! Having previously stayed in the Hilton (Sharm) it would be fair to say that this hotel is not on a par. However, we found the staff very friendly, the hotel clean, and there was a wide and plentiful supply of food (although don't expect to be force fed between fixed meal times!) In addition, the resort facilities were excellent and included a water park, poolside and beach bars, various shops and a 24 hr medical centre. The all inclusive drinks are served in either small glasses at the bar, or plastic cups at the beach... so, if you drink as much as me, you will end up returning to the bar every thirty seconds! The mini-bar does not include alcoholic drinks, but is restocked every day (with one water, one fruit juice and one Coke per person). We had booked the hotel as a base for a diving holiday, and as such spent most days out of the resort. We didn't use the hotel dive centre, as we usually use Emperor dive centres when in Egypt, who are excellent.
After a Jellyfish incident we did call upon the resort Doctor, who proved to be very thorough. The medications were reasonably priced at 10 euros each, and the consultation was 30 euros.
The staff all spoke fluent English and don't like the Russians! The hotel appeared to be predominantly occupied by Russians... who, by the way, are like the Germans with the sense of humour gene removed!!
The staff automatically assumed we were Russian, but once they discovered we are English we were received very favourably.... a smile and some manners goes a long way!
On the whole it was a pleasant and enjoyable experience, to the point of considering a return visit with the whole family, just bear in mind you are in Egypt and not Europe!"

• Travel date: Sun 1st of January 2006

Great!

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"That was a very good experience. I didn't expect much, i just wanted to have nice holidays. I think this is... rather good place to stay. And what should I wish? The food is ok, there is a bed in the room, my son was in Vicky's hands (nice russian animator who takes care of kids in this hotel. Have you seen her disco?!).
I guess if you want to enjoy your time this is one of the most suitable hotels in Hurghada."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of December 2005

this hotel should be called all mess

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"My Wife and I have just returned from this holiday resort.Forget the five star rating and what you ever know about all inclusive deals, because none of that applies to this resort.The food was disgusting luke warm with no actual choice we found out that the food was brought in and not exactly cooked on the premises,we should have known by the severe shortage of english tourists staying here something was wrong.The hotel is Russian owned and the standard is not what you would expect from a five star hotel,however some of the egyptian staff although I dont think they have had any training were friendly,we will certainly not be going back and I have'nt enough time to spend because theres too much to say"

• Travel date: Sat 12th of November 2005

Low price 5 star hotel

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"I spent 8 days at Golden 5 Hotel in Hurghada in August 2005, got it as a last minute offer for very nice price. Generally you get what you pay,the hotel is not 5 star at all. We arrived to the resort at 8:00 a.m. and did not get a room until 2:00 p.m., it was not because of the international check-in (out) rules (hotel had rooms available), but the rooms they offered to us were unacceptable. We had 2 rooms booked and we wanted to stay as closest as possible. What we got first time, it was a disaster, some rooms at the hotel have something like an animal cage instead of the balcony, that was we got. Finally after 3 hours and after changing the rooms three times we got very nice and large rooms next to each other, first success. Before that we gave 5 USD to the receptionist to make him working and finding a room for us. After that we tried the food. I must say it was O.K., but understand people travelling to 5 star expecting something absolutely different. All inclusive system is good, but different in all hotels, this was average. What was really good was the weather and the beach, snorkling is a must.
Evening entertainment was not very well organised, I had to laugh, there was a singer in the middle of the resort and his singing was really a joke :). There is a dancing and singing fountaine in front of the building and it is nice, but once is enough, the same programm is every evening. Sitting area at the beach bar is unbeliable, the sitting pads on the chairs are dirty and disgusting, I had to put these off.
I would recommend this hotel to young people who wants regular service for a good price but, who of your, travellers, expects 5 star service, DO NOT GO to this place!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of October 2005

Strong warning not to go to Golden 5 Hurghada

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Whatever fantastic offer you have seen (ours was on lastminute) that has made you contemplate going to this hole please erase it from your memory forever and find somewhere else to go.

I consider myself a very well travelled person and I can honestly say that this hotel (and holiday) lived up to absolutely none of our expectations. Hence why my friends and I are spending time writisng reviews on as many web sites as possible to do our part in trying to stop as many people wasting their hard earned cash here as we can.

I will only summarise the worst aspects of the hotel/resort as the detailed reviews below surely lay testament as to the absolute diabolical experience you will have if you go here.

This is *NOT* a five star hotel. The food was revolting. You are limited to one reastaurant unless you pay. Even then it is identical food in all the restaurants. We all got severely ill. If you look for entertainment on a holiday then there is none to speak of. If you don't, then there is nowhere for you to relax quietly either. They STOLE money off me. The ALL INCLUSIVE deal is a complete violation of any trade description in my opinion. If you have done an A.I. deal in the past do not expect anywhere near the same value for money here. The Golden 5 web site is a marketing veil hiding the gruesome cesspit that lies beneath.

Please, please, please listen to the reviews on this site. If you pay for this hotel you will be severely disappointed, annoyed, angry and frustrated. It will not get better either so if you are reading this review one, two, three years from now still do not go!!! Right, off to the next web site now to cut and paste this text and then off to write my letters to the agents, lastminute, watchdogs, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of October 2005

Do Not book this hotel/resort......

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"Where do I start.....

The hotel promises many things but delivers only about 2. There are no dancing fountains, only one of the 'many' restaraunts are actually open and the one that is is rubbish. The disco is crap.

We were originally booked in the golden 5 main hotel which looked like something out of the haunting. There was no hot water on arrival and I was told that there was a problem with the boiler which would be fixed the next day. It wasnt. Every hotel has problems but it is the customer service which makes a hotel. When I asked about the problem, I was lied to by a number of people who told me, the mechanic had been called, it had been fixed and would take some time to kick in, it would be fixed tomorrow, etc, etc. A little honesty and an apology goes a long way.

After three days, we complained again and we were told we could move to one of the outside buildings. They showed us the room and it had 2 single beds (this was i add my one week honeymoon) me and my husband lost our tempers. The only minor plus point was that the guest relations person, Lisa, was very sympathetic and called the general manager who apologised immediately and moved us to a seaview room in the resort Al Mas hotel. This hotel was better but shame they didnt think to do this themselves earlier on in the holiday.

In summary, all the men working here are pervs who make you feel very uncomfortable by staring like theres no tomorrow, the food is rubbish, they cant afford you a little honesty when there is a problem, ie hot water, yet they are quick to charge you for a cup of tea or a lost/broekn key card.

The cabs outside are cheaper, so are the drinks and water (but hide them in your bag because security take them otherwise). All in all, we have been left with a crap impression of Hurghada. You are better off paying a bit more and going to the more known hotels, ie Hilton or Marriot.

Rant over."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of September 2005

Not at 5 star Hotel or Resort

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"When booking a holiday be sure you fly into Hurghada and not Marsa Alam which is nearly 3 hours away. Most travel agents dont tell you this. Visas cost between 10-15 pounds but only ($10 us) and is all a big con. Some people on our flight came to hurghada 3 months ago and paid 8 pounds. We arrived at the GOLDEN 5 RESORT, this is made up of 5 hotels ranging from 3-5 star. We stayeed at the main Golden 5 hotel which is supposed to be 5 star. Never in a million years more like a 3 star. Travel lodge is better!. I had asked for a family room and even emailed them before we left. We were given 1 very large double bed. The bed was so big it could sleep all 4 of us! I had to go to reception to complain and they gave me 2 fold up beds. One was ok the other one my 12 year old son fell through! I asked for another and they said they had no more. I asked to be moved and they said there were no more double rooms. Anyway the bed was so hard that it was like sleeping on concrete. The TV had only 3 english channels (BBC news 24, CNN and Eurosport). We were told by the Med Hotels Rep not to venture outside as the taxi drivers will mug you and dump you in the desert! What rubbish. What you do is take their number plate down. I know it is in arabic but try it is at least 5-10 pounds cheaper to take a taxi outside then inside the resort. Just outside is a row of shops, if you are a smoker buy your ciggies here as they are about 8-10 english pounds for 200 compaired to 20-30 at airport. There are also other little shops there haggle for everything and keep your money in different denominations therefore not taking out wads of money at a time (ie. 20s in one pocket 100s in another etc) as soon as they see you have more money than what you have purchased they will beg you to buy more.

There is a lovely beach just past the Almas Palace hotel onthe resort, bring your snorkling gear, the fish come very close to you in the Red Sea, the jelly fish are harmless and do not sting. The food is ok not very spicy as I am used to, it basically a buffet type of eat as much as you like but try to buy your water from outside and smuggle it in (you are not allowed to bring in water from outside) it is 30p compared to 1 pound inside. You will need to bring this with you to dinner. When you buy anything from the hotel try not to charge it to your room as they add things you never brought to you bill and if you have to, always get a reciept, if they dont give you one, complain.

The resort had only 10 english families maximum. They mainly consisted of eastern europeans and germans, we suffered some racist comments, being the only black/ethnic family on the entire resort! but who cares were better than that. The cleaner tries to clean your room everyday in a bid to get a tip. iF you can leave it for every other day and try to be out when he cleans as he will do half of it then come back to finish it then wait for a tip. At the end of teh week I gave him 20 egyptian pounds which is equal to 2 pounds not much for us but he was very grateful, I also asked him if he had children and gave him some pens. pencils and colouring pencils, he was so happy. These are good to give to the children begging instead of money and they are very grateful for it.

Back to the hotel, the bathroom was disgusting, it had mold around the doors and bath, the carpet in the hallway was a hazard at it had raised and I tripped over it 3 times, when I complained they said "i will fix. I will fix'. the cleaner fixed it! I could see a big gap between the celing and the light fittings and the table lamp nearly gave me an electric shock as it wasnt wired properly. Lock everything away as they will take anything that is in view, we kept our passports and valuables locked in the room safe and padlocked our suitcases with anything that did not fit in there. One day we came back and you could tell someone had been searching as they had opened the extension zip on our suitcases thinking it was the main one. The resort staff are ok they are muslim and you can see them frown at all the extra bare flesh, but they chose to work there. I wish I took pictures as even my parents dont believe that something that looks so good on their website was such hell.

Overall I will not go back to the Golden 5 nor will I recommend it. On the way home we were all sharing our experiences at the Golden 5 resort. Even those who stayed at the all inclusive 5 star Almas Palace were not inpressed. The only compensation for me was that it was a last minute holiday and was very cheap. You have been warned Go to Golden 5 at your own risk, If you do I hope you enjoy it."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of August 2005

Don't Go There

Reviewed Sun 26th of April 2009

"Bottom line if you are not a Russian who gets the double room on an all inclusive basis for 36 $... Don’t go there …. As I am Egyptian... got the double room on a half board bases for 120 $ and I found the hotel doesn’t worth it at all... here are some of the problems.

Ok... 1st problem:
I have requested a sea view room, I entered the room and I couldn’t see the sea by any means, so I went to the reception and ask him, he told me that this is a sea side view!!!? I never hearted the term before, but to let you know the room is facing the sea but you can’t sea it because of other hotels in front of you.

Don’t be tricked …. Paradise Golden 5 rooms doesn’t see the sea. Even the rooms in the 3rd and 4rth floor, you can see the sea from them … but … very far away …. And also you will see the other buildings rooftops which are not a very nice sight.

2nd problem:
The AC in the room was not working properly, I requested someone to fix it just after my check in, 1st night no one came, 2nd night after calling them about 7 or 8 times someone from engineering came and said that they have fixed it. And I left after the 3rd night where it was just the same where I had to open the window and the door to get some breath.

3rd problem:
The Cable Car is not working

4th problem:
Went to the beach with a good 10 min walk, then I found no place to set a foot there … as it was all fully booked, it is a big beach but it servers 5 hotels. I didn’t manage to have a swim in the sea throughout my full 3 nights stay.

5th problem:
The food, a disaster … a very limited collection and every day just only 1 kind of proteins, either one dish of meat or one dish of chicken. No varieties. And they keep a guy pretending to be serving it but in fact he is guarding it as he was slicing the chicken into 10 pieces giving each one only one piece.

6th problem:
The service and the people working are not professional at all, treating every body as if they have paid us not the other way around ….. And also I have noticed that most of the staff are guys, I haven’t seen any female staff and they are sometimes TOO friendly to female guests …

7th problem:
I was there on half board bases, when I tried to enter the discothèque they requested that I should pay 10 $ as minimum charge per person!!!? And when I complained to front office manager and the night shift manager as I am guest and I shouldn’t pay a minimum charge to enter the hotel disco, they replied that these are new orders from the hotel management and couldn’t be changed!!!!!!!!?

There were other things but I don’t have time to write them all. … I wish someone would have told me all this before I go there …….. a real Don’t go there

• Travel date: Sun 26th of April 2009

well.....what can i say... I have travel...

Reviewed Sun 31st of August 2008

"well.....what can i say... I have travelled the world & stayed in many places ...THIS WAS THE HOTEL FROM HELL!!!!! my friend & myself made the mistake of booking without looking on this website ...BIG MISTAKE ! we were the only 2 english in the hotel ...& the only 2 ..H B ...The other 500 guests were Horrible ..lower cast russian gypsys! We couldnt get anyone to serve us with drinks or anything! & when they did ...they pocketed the money ..Every cup was cracked & black !The food was discusting! the staff ,,rude & all had THE CANT BE ARSED ATTITUDE...by the 5th day We,d had enough & the new german troubleshooter michael spent many hrs listening to me...The owner also listened ...but I was aware that he was uninterested...On arrival home I e.mailed mr michael to thank him for his trouble ...only to find ...he had resigned!!!!!!!! so....DONT GO... ITS THE HOTEL FROM HELL.....(unless your a Russian Gypsy !)"

• Travel date: Sun 31st of August 2008

Hotels near Golden 5 Paradise Resort

Stayed at Golden 5 Paradise Resort? Share your insight.

Golden 5 Paradise Resort is also called