Continental Hotel Hurghada

El Fareek Youssef Affifi Street, Hurghada 84517 Egypt

Complete Paradise - One of the most beautiful hotels Ive stayed in

"I travelled with a close friend, we needed to get away to relax and re-energize but get amazing tans at the same time! After originally being set on spain, we changed our minds at the last minute and managed to get a last minute deal with Thomas Cook.
The weather was around 37 - 45 degrees EVERY day ... we like everyone else thought that would be tooo hot but Egypt has perfect weather, the sun was shining and you still had a strong enough but gentle breeze (sort of like your own personal fan following you around).
We were the first on the transfer coach to get dropped off, its 5 mins from the airport. As soon as we walked in we were impressed, its beautifully decorated. The staff were incredibly helpful, as soon as we stepped foot off the coach someone was there to greet us with a drink and took our luggage to the room.
The room was the best hotel room I have ever stayed in and I have travelled alot!! We had a balcony overlooking the seafront, that view always makes waking up alot easier and we had dinner on there a few times too, its set with a table and chairs. The bed was better than the ones we had at home...they were magic, incredinly comfortable, spacious, pillows designed to give you a peacful sleep.
I really cannot find a thing to say about this place which is questionable because it had everything. It has a private beach with more than enough room to give you a relaxing holiday...there was never more than around 70 people on the beach and that was when it was busy so you could turn up at 2 in the afternoon (which we did) and still get a spot right on the front close enough to get up...take a step....and your in the water. Sometimes it can feel like your the only ones there because of how quiet and peacful it can get.
I miss sitting on the beach with my ipod in my ears overlooking miles of clear blue sea, while looking around and seeing the palm trees with my mojito in my hand (YES they have a beach style bar on the beach which do the best cocktails) Try the Pina Colada & taste the view around you. I'd also recommend trying parasailing, i wish i had buti'll be going back to do it, theres also windsurfing, aerobics, belly dancing, camel and hgrse riding, massage therapists...so many things to do. Theyve even got a shopping arcade and lots of evening entertainment although we never went down to see any.
The staff were extremely welcoming and polite...they went out of their way to help us when we needed it especially the supervisor who upgraded us to VIP'S on the second day, anything you need or want they'll provide. I definatly recommend using room service, theres a bigger selection and the portions are alott bigger than in England especially the deserts. We also had a minibar filled with drinks in the room so being tired and thirst was never a problem.
Overall, its been amazing, when we read the reviews and saw the pictures we werent sure whether it would be that good or if it even looked like that when we got there! But Thankfully, it exceeded all our expectations, i cannot fault it...it looks alot better in person than on the pictures eventhough the pictures are fantastic themselves and the staff and Egypt in general was just brilliant. Im booking another week out there for september this week and i only got back yesterday...that sums it all up."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of July 2010

Great hotel - great service!

"The hotel is great, it provides a great service everywhere you go- beach, restaurant, room service, water sports centre, etc.
Our room was spacious and very clean, the restaurant offers a variety of lovely food, the beach is amazing, I think it is one of the best ones in Hurghada because we've been to other hotels in Hurghada as well.
A tip if you're going to Hurghada for the first time: try the jeep safari =)=)!!"

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2010

It's a pleasure to stay there

"Hello all,
we had a great time in the InterContinental Resort for 10 days! We had an All Inclusive program, which includes not only breakfast, lunch and dinner, but snacks and drinks during all day, and other different facilities.
Our room was spacey and we had a balcony with an amazing sea view. The food in the restaurant was delicious and always fresh. There were 3 more restaurants at the hotel area: Greek, Italian and Thai. We've got a coupon for having 2 courses in one of these restaurants. Just be prepared before to go to one of these places that you will need to pay a good amount of money for drinks and % for service.
The hotel has its own tour agency and some shops, where you can buy souvenirs, but prices are more expensive then somewhere else.
The hotel has own sunny beach and beautiful garden for walking around the territory. It has a small zoo - fun for kids, tennis courts, yachts club, spa and fitness club.
Only one non enjoyable thing there - it's a quite long way to Hurgada and other attractions (about 30-40 min)."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of April 2010

good memories....

Good

"We spent 7 days at this hotel (it has changed it's name to Continental Resort). At check-in, our two rooms were not adjoining (as requested) and in one of the rooms, the A/C didn't work. However, within 10 minutes of contacting reception, there was someone attending to the A/C and we were given adjoining rooms the next day.

The rooms were spacious, and the beds large and comfortable. I agree that the bathrooms could do with updating soon. The sea-view rooms are lovely, but overlook the bar/entertainment area, so can be noisey if you want an early night. Having said that, the music stopped promptly at 11pm, and the beds were so comfortable that our daughter fell asleep inspite of the music outside.

The staff were remarkably efficient, and professional. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The Italian and Seafood restaurants on-site were excellent, but breakfast was boring. Lunch at the beach bar was also excellent. There are also lots of places to eat "Downtown" so I would not bother with going half/full board unless you want to spend all/most of your holiday on the resort.

My 9-year old daughter took part in some kids-club activities, but particularly enjoyed games in the swimming pool at midday and art/craft between 3-6pm. For the adults there was water polo/aquafit although this was sporadic. The fitness centre was average and could get busy for the CV equipement after midday. There was tennis on site, and horseriding/snorkelling/diving at additional cost.

The complimentary bus service (which had to be prebooked) will take you Downtown at 3pm and return at 7pm. Alternatively, the one-way taxi fare cost us LE 20. There are two good seafood restaurants Downtown (El MIna and Starfish) and Cafe del Mar is good for lunch or dinner.

Overall, we had a lovely (our first) time in Egypt. I would recommend this hotel because of the excellent service, comfortable beds, and excellent beach bar, Italian and Seafood restaurants."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of April 2010

A mixed bag

"We stayed for just a few days in the first week of April 2010. The hotel isn't 5* by European standards but it's fairly clean, has pretty grounds, a decent pool and its own beach. If you like Russians then you're in for a treat.
If you have the option to go half-board then I'd take it as the food is reasonable and there are no other restaurants near the hotel (having said that, it does get rather monotonous and you are likely to get gut rot, but that's the risk you take going to Egypt). You can get a taxi into town for about 40 LE (we were probably overcharged!) but to be honest, the town is a bit of a dump anyway.
There's a shop five minutes walk from the hotel where you can book day trips which are loads cheaper than your holiday provider will offer. The quad bike into the dessert is great - take a head scarf or buy one for about 20 LE. They prefer US dollars to their own currency but it gets confusing working out £ LE and $.

The hotel food is buffet style - lots of mezze stuff and at night they have a BBQ. All of it, apart from the breakfast, was quite tasty. Drinks are pricey.

The rooms are clean and quite spacious. Each room has air con, kettle, TV, hairdryer etc. It also has the typically over-priced mini bar which I usually use as a fridge for my own drinks but they put a plastic tag on it so you can't even use it. It looked like all the rooms had a sea view and a spacious balcony. If mosquitos like you then you'd better go prepared as there were always a few in the room each night. Take an extra loo roll too as they didn't always re-fill it and it's likely that you'll need it!!

By about day 3 we both got diarrhea. We hadn't drunk any tap water or had ice in our drinks so it was probably from the food, but we'd been on a couple of excursions where lunch was included so the hotel wasn't necessarily the culprit. I was suffering pretty badly on the day that we were leaving so we asked if we could pay extra for the hotel room until we had to go to the airport (check-out is 12pm and the coach pick-up was 3pm). Reception staff were very rude and even though I was on the point of collapse and pooing my pants they told us that the hotel was fully booked - in reality it was April and not even half full. I had to lie in the hotel foyer for three hours as I was in no fit state to move anywhere - apart from my jaunts to the toilet. Thank god for Imodium.
It's such a shame that their true colours were revealed on that last day as it really marred my stay at the hotel and I would never stay there again. How you can let a paying guest roll around in agony in a hotel foyer is beyond me and surely not what other guests wish to see?
The hotel next door called the Steigenberger is apparently the best hotel - according to our taxi driver, and the Hilton was two minutes away. Piraeus was across the road but I assume it doesn't have a beach."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of April 2010

Very Nice Hotel

"we enjoyed our self in this hotel. we have very nice weather, people are so helpfull, food is good but can be better.
service is good and people they do their best to satisfied the guest.
we don't have any problem because wwe speak English and evry wher they understand us.
so if you need relax vacation i recommend this hotel for your next vacation."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of March 2010

Average hotel

"I was quite disappointed with the standard and quality at this hotel. After staying at Abu Soma Intercontinental a few days earlier, this hotel never reached the high standard. The whole hotel needs a total redecoration. It is too crowded and the swimming pool is just unbearable with all the people. The only fun you can have is actually going to the city and the hotel offers transport to and from the city."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of March 2010

Very positive experience - despite the constant music

Good

"We travelled with 4 teenagers seeking respite from the dreadful UK winter. We wanted sun, swimming ,relaxation and to spend quality family time together that's exactly what the Intercontinental Resort delivered. The hotel was clean and spacious, the food just about as good as mass buffet-style can get and the staff were sweet and discreet.

The only downside was the incessant music coming from all areas of the hotel, however I got used to this by the end of the week and the kids didn't mind. Our rooms, though very nice, were directly over The Captains Bar, which is the main night spot with dancing & a live singer on every evening. It was too loud to even watch television in our rooms. But, in fairness to the hotel, it stopped promptly at 11pm latest, some evenings 10.30pm the it was blissfully peaceful .... until 8 am when the 'whale music' started up around the pool area. Although our rooms had the sea view I would recommend you ask for rooms up the side of the hotel which overlook the gardens or marina as they would be much quieter. The gardens, even in February were beautiful and the layout of the resort was very tasteful and nice to look at. The private villas in the grounds looked brilliant, and if we went again, as a large family, I would try to stay there.

This hotel has a very pretty little beach, furnished with loungers and wooden parasols. The beach staff keep it spotlessly clean (eg rushing in to pick up 2 hibiscus petals that floated in!) and we spent most of our days here. It was much quieter than round the pool and the excellent Pool Cafe serves very reasonable and tasty food eg Ceasar Salad, Pizzas, Meze which they will bring to your loungers by the beach or pool or you can go and sit in the pleasant wicker chairs in the shade. All food was pretty good and very reasonable (eg. 35 Egyptian Pounds for a Salad) except for wine which was astronomically expensive (bottle of local white wine E80) so we stack to local beer at E5 a bottle.

During the week, we had 2 excursions - one day out on a boat scuba diving and snorkelling (E50 pp for 2 dives, E10 for snorkelers) and one day out in the desert quad biking and seeing the Bedouins (E25 pp). The day out at sea was great value and the Diving Lodge at the hotel very professional and friendly. The desert day was OK too, but a bit done on the cheap. The best way to know what excursions are available is to look in the hotel lobby where all the tour agencies pin up posters and then speak to their reps who are in the hotel lobby every evening before dinner.

We also caught a taxi into the Old Town one evening, but wished we hadn't. We thought it would be like Marrakech Medina but it isn't - it's just a cheap and filthy modern market selling plastic sandals and counterfeit sunglasses. No interesting architecture. Don't go. Our taxi driver told us the New Town (Saluka) was much nicer, which a harbour complex surrounded by restaurants and I bet he was right.

There's nothing to do around the hotel apart from a parade of little souvenier shops on the road outside the main gates. My children went there most nights and had a great time haggling with the shopkeepers, drinking tea, etc. They were very indulgent with my children, and I am grateful to them.

The hotel staff sporadically organised water polo games and beach volleyball. There were 2 aqua gym classes every day and a little kids exercise class. The other guests were mainly Russian, and Egyptian, but everyone was there for the sun. The hotel told us that you have to be back at Hurghada airport 3hrs before your flight and they organised taxis for us.

My tan is fading now, but I recommend this hotel for family relaxation and I think we will go back next February. Weather perfect 30o every day. Stress free - not hassling, no tipping, no being ripped off. A great winter break."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of February 2010

DO NOT STAY HERE

"THIS IS MORE OF A 2 STAR THEN A 5 STAR
We were a group of 7 ( ie 4 adults and 3 children ) and we decided to visit Egypt last Chrsistmas with a 4 days in Cairo and 4 in Hurgada
The trip to Hurgada was horrible because of the hotel.
We arrived at 8 in the evening and our rooms were not ready. We had to wait for 45 minutes before we could go to our rooms but they still did not clean the room. We could not walk without slippers in the room because of the dust on the floor. and to make the matters worse there was no COMPLIMENTARY WATER in the room . When I called the reception i was told a bottle of water cost USD5 .I have never heard such rubbish in my life
The resterants were terrible. Food was either to salty or stoggy and the waiters were removing plates from infront of the children whilst they were still eating.
The worst was yet to come. At night there were power cuts in Hurgada . You could wake up in the middle of the night and it was pitch dark ...not even a small emergency light to go to the bathroom. hence no showers. What kind of a 5 star hotel does not have a generator for emergencies. It happened 3 times while we were there so it wasnt a one off .The staff at the front desk were incredibly rude and said well " too bad ". .
The spa staff would flirt blatantly with the men ...to get them to book a massage.

THIS HOTEL SHOULD BE ON THE PROGRAM " HOLIDAYS FROM HELL "
MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT DONT EVER STAY HERE."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of January 2010

very disappointing

"NOT 5 star and doesn't provide what it says on the website. Degrades the whole Intercontinental brand -.basically comes down to a badly managed hotel. Rooms need updating and there is no such thing as an executive floor even though there is a sign saying the floor is executive! If you can keep your expectations low and don't mind paying over the odds - you'll do fine. Nice outdoor bits - but given hurghada is all about resorts - needs desperate attention!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 14th of January 2010

Hotels near Continental Hotel Hurghada

Stayed at Continental Hotel Hurghada? Share your insight.

Continental Hotel Hurghada is also called