Ali Baba Palace

17 Village Road, Hurghada Egypt

Not a 4 Star plus Hotel - Rude staff

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"We stayed at the Ali Baba Palace from April 3 to April 10 2007, and booked this through a travel agent. The stay started off on the wrong foot when on arrival they told us we would not get the family room we had booked. After much arguement (we were not the only ones) we were given two rooms (not adjoined) which resulted in my wife and I needing to stay in separate rooms for 2 nights as we had 3 small children with us. It was not until 2 days later that we got the room we had booked - and only after intervention from our local tour operator. They were also very cagey about what a family room actually was - changing their story several times, saying they did not exist, to that it was just two adjoining rooms to finally admitting they had family suites consisting of 2 bedrooms (which is what we had booked). In the end we got it but 2 days later.
The rooms overall are not 4 star - they are dated, with furniture damaged, our family room had serious water damage to one of the walls (mold and paint comming off) and the shower tap was broken. Not what you would expect from a 4 star plus hotel as they advertise. Also the extra bed is not really an extra bed - it is more of a pull out couch which is effectively a mattras on the floor, when we asked why not a bed - they enquired as to why we were making such a fuss as it was only for our five year old child!!
The pool and outside facilities are nice - especially the gardens are well maintained and very pretty - such that from the outside it looks like a very nice hotel - but given the rooms and the dining facilities this is a bit of a facade. Although the pool is huge - only the front end is heated - hence if you are going in the winter or even April period - be prepared for a pretty cold pool 17-18 c, with exception of the front part which as a result can get quite crowded. Also if you want a deck chair by the pool be prepared to get up early by 8 am most mornings all deck chairs were taken with towels on them marking them as reserved.

The hotel is also under the flight path of Hurghada airport so you get to see the landing planes, and although one got used to this after a while and there were only about 5-10 planes landing per day - the Russian charter flights are older planes and very loud.

The food is not great and is the same buffet style everyday. The lunch buffet is often the same as the dinner served that evening, and the lunch outside at the pool bar consists of fries, soggy pizza or lasanga - and its also the same every single day. Although we heard of people with stomach problems - we did not suffer any ourselves during our stay - but were careful with pealed fruit etc. Twice we went outside the hotel to enjoy food in town and at another hotel. (Marriot has a great Italian but pricey).

The staff can also be quite rude and unhelpful. The way they handled our problem with the rooms on day one - was not acceptable,. Drinks can take a long time to get served during dinner (twice we finally got them during dessert), several times we needed to ask for a 5th towel in the room given they kept giving us only 4 (when we clearly were a party of 5), and one day they didn't clean/make up the room at all.

This hotel is also frequented by primarily Russian tourists - 80% when we were there. The Russian tourists on the whole did not bother us too much although they did get a bit pushy in the food lines, some of them walked around drunk by 11 am , and for the most part they are very rude to the local hotel staff - which probably explains the staff's attitude to the guests on the whole. I would be quite tired of them if I had to put up with the same day in day out.

In summary - very nice grounds outside, the rooms are poor just barely worthy of 3 stars, the food is poor and the same day in day out, and staff can be rude and disinterested in the guests. This is not a 4 star hotel by any normal standards, (with the exception of the grounds) so if 4 stars is what you want or expect you will be dissapointed. We will never be returning to this hotel again."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of April 2007

Girls be ware

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Rooms are ok about American 3 stars. This hotel is very clean. The spa is awesome, the beach is awesome. Pool is great too.

Food..... not so good, especially if you are looking for variety. Pretty much the same old thing every day. Although there are many types of deserts if you are into sweets.

Hotel staff are all men (women dont really work in tourism industry in egypt) who are total sex perverts. Waiters, security, poolboys, cleaning personel, cashiers, all tried to grab or kiss or ask out on a date my friends and me. My biggest regret is not telling hotel adminstrator that hotel staff is complitely inapporipriate.

I had a bad experience, where one of my credit cards got stuck in the ATM machine. This was on thursday night, and on Friday, Saturday, adn Sunday the bank is closed. This ATM was in the hotel lobby, however hotel's administrator refused to help. I had to cancel my credit card from Egypt.

Other than that this hotel is ok. I think Hurgahda in general is geared toward Russian tourism, so not many people over there can speak English. For American tourists I recommend Shrm el Sheikh cause hotels are nicer, people speak English, and it is more westernized"

• Travel date: Thu 8th of March 2007

Lovely Egypt

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Me and some of my friends have visited this hotel from 27th of January till 6th of February.
The "+" are:
- very nice territory
- there are 3 hotels (Jasmin, Alladin and Ali Baba) connected together witj beautiful huge territory. A great place for those who likes to go for a walk. You can also use the facilities of all 3 hotels.
- very good sandy shore in Jasmine hotel, even with corals about 10meters from the shore.
- very good italina animation

The "-" are:
- the rooms need to be restored
- the service in the restaurants is bad
- the food could be better
If the green territory and sandy beech are the main criterias of the hotel in Egypt for you - it is the right choice."

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of February 2007

Ok stay

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Have just returned from Christmas at the Ali Baba Palace. The hotel makes great efforts but I just don't think it warrants the four, or even five in some cases, star rating. The rooms need revamping, especially the bathrooms where we had to run around to get wet in the shower. And there were no plugs for the bath - I know the Russians who form the majority of the clientele may be used to this but if they want to appeal to a wider market, silly little things like this and the non-existent hair dryer need to be addressed. The website said there were three restaurants, which we thought would solve the problem of having the same food for a week - but all three serve the same menu and it's not over thrilling - if you're veggie, look forward to potatoes and salad. The outdoor facilities are good though (apart from the crazy golf) and the location is great - beware other hotels which are across the road and don't lead directly onto the beach as the Ali Baba does. And the staff are very helpful and have a wicked sense of humour. If you have kids or need entertaining, the animation team will get you - I must admit, seeing a group of blokes dressed as ancient Egyptians singing Jingle Bells did make my Christmas!"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of December 2006

Long Live Ali Baba

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"It was not until after we returned home that I realised that Ali Baba's Palace has over 610 rooms! Whilst there, it certainly didn't seem like it. The staff made every guest feel special, one waiter took a shine to us and showed us to our table in the restaurant every time we wanted to eat, he could even organise your "Birthday" party, even if your birthday wasn't in that month, for a small fee!!

The facilities were superb, always clean, the bars and restaurants offered a wide choice of hot, tasty food & snacks. One of the best features was the beach bar, where you could have snacks such as sausage &chips, burgers, chicken & salads from 12 until 3, the sausage was very good, very unusual to find in a Muslim country ! We loved the little train that takes you around all three of the resorts, for free and the zoo was great, there was a sign by the monkey enclosure stating " Beware, the monkeys may steal your eye-glasses", we took this with a pinch of salt as we fed them most days on left over salad from breakfast ( You could get decent scrambled / fried eggs & sausage if you wanted ), but, on our last day, one obnoxious monkey with a huge red bum suddenly reached through the cage and "Stole my eye-glasses", a keeper quickly appeared and got them back with only minor bite damage, however the monkey was most upset as he'd put them on & was doing Elvis impersonations !

All in all, we had a great time, with no problems and would reccomend Ali's Palace."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of September 2006

Wonderful week

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"I spent there my perfect vacation, it was only one week but that was wonderful time. The hotel is clear, restaurants full of good food, waiters and all staff very nice and helpful.
Anyway - you can choose that hotel, you will be enjoyed."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of September 2006

It was quite ok

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We were quite afraid of coming to the hotel, where over 1400 ppl can sleep at the time. But the very good architecture made as believe, the hotel is almost empty. Only during meals a number of people was seen.
The hotel is clean, as weel as pool is. The service is pretty weel, through you have to start your holidays with proper bakshish [tip], otherwise the cleaning and service is geeting worse.
We can especially sugest smoking shisha after dinner, which is common in Egypt, and the guy preparing it is so lovely and talkative, you really enjoy. He is the best ad of the hotel :)

The food is european, and not so fine as for 4*+ The quality is ok, but there isn't much to choose. There is not so much local, arabic dishes, as well as almost no frutti di mare.

The a/c is ok, it works perfectly fine, bed linen and towels provided every single day, even if not needed.
The beach is pretty fun - no sand, lot of stones. But the Alibaba palace is a part of resort, which consist of 3 hotels [Aladin and Jasmin], and the other two beaches are much better, and as an Alibaba guest you may use everything in the other resorts as well. We did prefer Aladin beach and beach-bar rather than the Alibaba's.
There isn't much to do, but it's perfect for children, as there is a mini pool for them. Beach towels provided free of charge on the beach and by the pool.
Water is free of charge, and there're always several bottles packed into your room's fridge.
15 minutes with a local taxi to the center [Sakkala].

For me - fantastic stay. The food might be better, but i just like to eat more regional when i'm somewhere.

What's important - not so many Russians there."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of October 2005

not certainly a 4+ star hotel

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"I’ve just returned back from this hotel.
I booked there looking (and paying) for a 4+ star hotel but I found that this is actually a barely 3 stars hotel.
The pool is huge and beautiful (the strong point of this hotel) but the rooms are "old" and need to be urgently renovated to be ranked for a genuine 3 star (never 4).
The food was OK albeit without variation and the restaurants were quite old-fashion-looking.
The services are quite effective but you should continually tip if you wish your problems be fixed.
I was quite annoyed by the fact that a part of the guests of this resort are there because of the fact that the "all inclusive" package includes alcoholic beverages (local beer), and wasn't unusual to see drunken guest at 11:00am. The large majority of the guests are from Russia.
I was there with my wife and my kids and I found that, after all, the stay was pleasant but this hotel, his services, his actual standing, doesn't deserve the price I paid for my vacation."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of May 2005

Perfect service

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Wonderfull how everybody has his own little job, this makes the hotel and restaurants high quality, clean and very friendly personel.
I think I will go there again. I was also able to use nextdoor resorts Aladdin and Yasmine Village, but Ali Baba was far most the best quality."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of December 2004

Very nice!

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"I stayed at the ali baba palace in august of 2004. i absolutly loved it. the hotel was very pretty, the pool was huge and there were more than enough bars to keep me company. the hotel room was a regular room. comfortable but nothing special. (not that you should be spending your time in the room anyway) the people at the hotel were VERY friendly. the beach at the hotel was very nice also. i rate this hotel as an excellent. im planning to go back there sometime next year."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of October 2004

Highly recommend!!

Reviewed Mon 27th of June 2016

"Beautiful location, grounds are wonderful and the beach is just perfect. The rooms are clean. The staff are friendly, and there is tons to do for the whole family, ice skating, bowling, aqua park, swimming pool, spa, all wonderful. I highly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of June 2016

We booked to go to the Aladdin but without warning were put in the Ali baba

Reviewed Thu 24th of October 2013

"Be careful when booking a holiday through SUNSHINE.CO.UK when they use MEDHOTELS to suply your accommodation! As SUNSHINE .CO.UK will Not and cannot help you if you have any kind of dispute, furthermore MEDHOTELS who they booked the accommodation with are NOT ABTA bonded!
We booked a holiday to go to the Aladdin hotel in Hurghada Egypt for 26th August 2013 ( before any trouble started)
On our arrival at 03:30 we found our hotel was closed and empty & were told we had now to stay at one of her sister hotels next door the Ali Baba. When we complained to the hotel management basically we were told your hotel is closed so there is nothing the can do. We then complained to the tour rep but got the same reply.
We then asked why had we not been told of the closure of our preferred hotel prior to our departure they had no answer & tried to say we were being upgraded. I pointed out how can it be an upgrade when the rooms are basically the same but you have closed almost every amenity within the complex?
We had stayed at the Aladdin several tines over the past few years its very good that's why we return to this complex of 3 sister hotels, Aladdin Jasmine & Ali Baba. We have a choice of 8 different restaurant's, 8 bars 3 pools 3 beaches 3 shopping centres & much more.
But not this time we had almost nothing open 1 restaurant 2 bars I pool & that's about it, the food was absolute slop old school dinners were far more nutritious and tasty compared to what we has served daly at the Ali Baba.
When we got home we complained once more through our travel agent namely SUNSHINE.CO.UK all they did was to forward my complaint's to MEDHOTELS who then used every excuse in the book to not compensate us the told lie after lie they even tried to say there was a curfew imposed in Hurghada LIE there never was, then blamed other country's for not sending enough tourists. Then told us that they did not know the Aladdin was closed until we arrived LIE they had spent the previous week emptying it & it was also in the proses of closing the Jasmine.
Now to top it all SUNSHINE.CO.UK tell me to contact ABTA to sort my dispute only to be told by ABTA that MEDHOTELS are not bonded by them and now my only course of action is to take them to court myself and start legal proceedings through the small calmest court!

So after being given the runaround by MEDHOTELS for almost 2 months all I can do now is warn everyone out there be careful when booking a holiday through SUNSHINE.CO.UK because they may just send you on a holiday that is Not ABTA bonded with deceitful hotel providers like MEDHOTELS.

Finally yes I am going to start legal proceedings, after all the lies they have told I can't wait to have my day in court and show every conflicting email they have sent

sunshine.co.uk 0/10... Medhotels 0/10..... Ali Baba in Hurghada 2/10 nice pool!

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of October 2013

Hotels near Ali Baba Palace

Stayed at Ali Baba Palace? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Ali Baba Palace

• pumpkin cottage by pumpkin cottage

"snorkelling conditions are great even for young children and complete novices. "

• Paularrund by Paularrund

"None book with local tour guides for same trips at less than half the cost "

Ali Baba Palace is also called