I have been to Egypt several times and i...

Reviewed Fri 5th of January 2007

"I have been to Egypt several times and it was a very enjoyable experience.

The staff were very pleasant and courteous. The accommodation was clean and basic.

Music was loudly played at night until 12. The food was bland and lacked imagination.

The same food for breakfast every morning. There was not enough cups for tea/coffee in the morning and people had to constantly wait till the waiter brought more cups.

Two people who I travelled with suffered from mild food poisoning which lasted 2 days.

Before going on holiday I read the comments other people had posted. I could not believe the amount of flies...oh yes the buffet food is uncovered and plenty of flies on the food.

The swimming pools, only one had heating, the others would have been suitable for polar bears to swim in. The hotel needs to improve its standards."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of January 2007

mixed feelings....

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"hi we stayed at this hotel for two weeks all inclusive with our kids aged 1 and 9, first impressions are good(the photos dont do it justice!) this is a huge hotel with 7 different pools dotted around the complex....my feeling about this place was general dissapointment, it could be a great hotel!! but it is badly managed for example there is 1 heated pool and a section of another heated but there is 2 kids pools and both are freezing!! they are building a whole new section of rooms plus another kids pool !! but the ones they have already are below standard ....just lots of things that you think " why? it would NOT cost the earth to sort that out but it would make our stay so much better!" the main pool looks vey impressive, all bridges, palm trees, swim up bar with underwater stools and underwater sunloungers but the bar is not used!!(saving money??) there is 4 bars around the pools but.... just 1 fly infested bar open(when i say infested....well u will find out! we started taking food from buffet and getting an xtra drink to put a few sun loungers away from us in the hope that they would attract the flies away from us...i cant tell u how bad this problem is, we couldnt sunbath for a minute without having to deal with them swarming and it pissed me off because all they have to do is put some blue lights and all the usual stuff to attract them away, your talking a few pounds! the food was fair....i didnt see any flies on the buffet and none of us were ill during our stay, its your run of the mill all inc deal! this hotel should be great for kids its straight out of a story book but you have to be very careful, highchairs with no restraints, cot was a none starter!(if you have a baby pleeeeze take the travel cot!!our baby slept with us the whole time) pools with no proper markings(im not a precious mummy by the way! my brats are always falling, bubba has a permanent set of devil horns!) but the safety in this place was not good to say the least..... its difficult to get yur moneys worth for all inclusive as you only have 2 bars, one is the mentioned pool bar and that closes at 6pm and the other is the tiny bar at reception, that said we got spirits included but i think that depends on the mood of the staff!! a couple we met on the first day had paid an xtra 10 pound a day for spirits but when we went to reception we were told local spirits were included !!!i dont want to put people off!! end of the day you get what you pay for! we booked a last minute deal and thought we had booked a bargain 4* hotel we ended up with a 3* at best....the things ARE there but if u dont ask u would never know!make sure ur ur drinks in room are topped up every day as the cleaners will just take it home!! this hotel is a 4* gone wrong!! completly.............."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of December 2006

After the mixed reviews I had read about...

Good
Reviewed Mon 4th of December 2006

"After the mixed reviews I had read about this hotel I was pleasantly surprised.

The rooms were very basic but very clean. The cleaner was very polite and did more than was his job role.

Staff were friendly and polite. Hotel was lovely. Pools were clean and plenty of sun beds. There was a choice of eating places as you could also go to at least 2 of the restaurants in the hotel which offered both an all inclusive menu and a menu that had to be paid for.

Yes we had tummy bugs but nothing major and as we had been expecting it we had been prepared.

The shop keepers were very nice in the hotel. Jack at the papyrus shop especially. Although, I didn’t like shopping in Hurghada old town. I was out of my comfort zone with the shop keepers trying to entice you into every single shop and some taking offence if you wouldn’t go in.

We met some lovely English people on this trip who we plan to keep in contact with.
The Russians and Germans were quite rude though and pushed in the food queues, on the buses to the beach or at the bar etc. The entertainment was virtually non existent but I suppose you can’t have everything.

For what we paid for this holiday I would definitely recommend it to anyone.
I would definitely go again.

If you want to just chill out with the occasional trip out I would definitely try here. The day trips were brilliant too and very well organised. We did snorkelling, jeep safari and a city tour. I rode a camel and a horse.

We rode quad bikes and dune buggies on the night time jeep safari. The fish were amazing on the snorkelling trip. As was the fantastic island surrounded by turquoise sea. Stunning.

One thing I would say though and I wish I had known it before us left- do not change all your money before you go. Day trips were charged in sterling. Also you could pay for everything with euros or American dollars. Sterling was widely accepted too.

We changed our money in England into Egyptian pounds at a rate of 10 Egyptian pounds to the £1.However the rate in Egypt was over 11 Egyptian pounds to the £1. Therefore when we were paying for trips in Egyptian pounds that were priced in sterling we were losing out as they needed more Egyptian pounds to the £.

I would recommend you take a small amount of Egyptian pounds and then either sterling or euros."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of December 2006

We got a very reasonable all-inclusive d...

Good
Reviewed Thu 10th of August 2006

"We got a very reasonable all-inclusive deal to this hotel and thought we would give it a go despite the poor reviews we had read on this site. We were very pleasantly surprised and had a fantastic holiday. The hotel is not English orientated but this was at no point a problem, all the staff spoke perfect English and with good manners you received good service.

The food is nothing special but it's varied enough for a week, we did experience tummy upsets but we expected this traveling to Egypt and brought treatment with us. The hotel pharmacy also prescribes antibiotics for about £5 should you need it. The flies are a pain but it's like going to the desert and moaning about the sand, unfortunately it comes with the territory.

The hotel pools were fabulous and we had no problem getting sun beds etc, we spent some of our best times swimming and sipping cold beer at the poolside bar. The rooms are spotless and spacious and the hotel itself is clean, the shop keepers are keen to speak to you and obviously want you to buy things as that is their living, if you are courteous but firm they are no problem at all.

The entertainment was poor (and very random) but I'm sure that with imagination you can find other things to occupy your evenings if it's not to your taste. Hurghada itself was a short cab ride away and has more to offer in terms of bars/restaurants/clubs etc. Basically, if you are looking to lie back, chill out, relax, scuba/snorkel, and explore other parts of Egypt this place is perfect considering the cheap deals. If you want a fry up, karaoke and union jacks then stay at home."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of August 2006

I cannot understand the positive reviews...

Reviewed Sat 29th of July 2006

"I cannot understand the positive reviews I have read about this Hotel. It was a first for me - the first time I have looked forward to the end of the holiday!

The hotel is in the wrong position, the food was well below standard and in particular the food hygiene was very poor. Lots of flies settling on the buffet food, even in the indoor dining areas where the flies could have been controlled. My wife and my daughter were ill during our weeks stay and we were told of many others that had gone down with sickness. We heard of people that were ill for 6 days of a 7 day stay!

The entertainment was mostly aimed at the Germans and was completely pathetic.
On the positive side, the rooms were clean and the service good. Beware of getting fobbed off at reception. They will tell you what you want to hear with no intention of carrying it through.

Free shuttles were provided to the beach behind the Dana Beach Hotel. The beach was good but the food provided for the all inclusive customers was as bad as the hotel but with even more flies. Speaking to people staying at the Dana Beach Hotel, they gave good comments on the food and hygiene.

Hurghada is a building site which I can’t see being anywhere near finished for at least 20 years. The main attraction is the Red Sea which is fantastic. Most of the better hotels on the beach have built their own lagoons for safe swimming and water sports. To enjoy Hurghada you must research thoroughly and possibly spend a bit more to get a good hotel.

We will go back to the Red Sea but will learn from lessons learnt at Alf Leila Wa Leila Hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of July 2006

Holiday from hell

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"We have just returned from a 2 week holiday at this hotel. When we arrived on the first night we saw a rat and another lady opened her room door one night to see rats. My sons clothes were covered in ants. We had no air con for 3 nights our bedding was not changed for 6 days even though we complained to management. The mattresses were stained and had no mattress protectors. The food was rubbish and cold. 7 other families left while we were there and we left after the 1st week to anothe hotel which we had to pay for. The hotel could be fabulous and has everything you need, but the staff were unfriendly and we found out that kids icecream was not included with the all inclusive even though it is advertised as been. Even the rep said it was a disgusting hotel and offered to move us without us even asking. The manager laughed at one english couple who complained. I could go on for ever. I have had my first holiday from hell and i am writing this to let others know that this hotel is not what is advertised standard wise."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of July 2006

you will love this hotel If Your German

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"If you think travel Sickness is bad, i.e. stomach cramps, Diarrhoea, sickness, etc, you will wish thats all you had after you have stayed at this hotel!!!

Advertised as a magical hotel?, yeh you could say that as the staff magically disapear when ever you a have question or a complaint, and then re-apear later when you are trying to relax by the pool constantly banging on about henna tattoes, massages, and day trips.

Altough we went half board, all inclusve guests didnt get a great deal extra. No spirits, just bad food infested with flys, beer, and wine, of which only the red was any good.

I could go on and on about the state of this hotel, everyone reading this will probably gather that its a hotel to avoid, unless your german, then you will love it.

However, if you have already booked there least you got the travel sickness to look forward to, because there is nothing else going for this hotel.

Oh yeh one decent bit of advise. Don't bother buying any medication in enlgland for this trip, the hotel has a hardcore pharmacy selling anti bacterial wonder drugs. You WILL need them. they WILL save you.

Anyway the excursions were good, snorkeling, safari etc, I certainly recommend these, but you don't need to stay at 1001 nights to do them. i would rather sleep under a camel, at least the shower would work in the morning

Anyway to round it all up, for us, the only thing that made our holiday experience any good was sharing the unfortunate surroundings we found ourselves in with our english comrades.

Ironically, alot of good memories.

Hello to english out there from the 23rd June to the 30th June

N & F SOMERSET"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of July 2006

very disappointing

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My family of 5 from N Ireland stayed for 2 weeks, last week of june and 1st week of july.
Confusing.
Place is beautiful and well cleaned.
All staff are lovely EXCEPT for the reception staff who are awful
Egyptians are very child friendly people,
The 'gauntlet' is not as bad as it's made out to be. Women ARE safe. The shop owners are happy if you visit them once and will speak to you afterwards but will pester you if you don't try them the once.
Animation team leave a lot to be desired. Most kids stuff is in German, but they're not bad. The adult entertainment is pretty pathetic and very loud if you need an early night.
Now the bad stuff...
It's full of Eastern Europeans who are fine but also Germans who were very rude people both in the hotel and on trips. They were loud, pushy, shoved in in front of everyone else, and a serious pain in the backside.
Because there are few British, the language is a problem especially with the entertainment.
But the biggest problem is the food. It's sitting around half heated and covered with flies. Looks good and tastes OK but NOT safe the way it is. We were all sick all the time, vomitting, diarrhoea, fever and came home to be diagnosed with worms and dysentery, NOT a joke.
Couldn't go there again due to the food and rudeness of other guests"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of July 2006

Wouldnt let my dog stay here!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Ah where to start :), The food was terrible, now im not a fussy eater at all but after a few days of the fly infested (not exaggerating) concoctions they produced I was put off, even looking at the food turned my stomach..... Literally as I had Dioreha for the 2 weeks I stayed here. No air conditioning in the restraunts at all which made it all the worse to eat there.

The receptionist’s were about as helpful as a chocolate tea pot!! They acted as if they didn’t want to know. I had complained numerous times about the constant cleaning outside our room that started 1.30am and finished around 6.00am, our fridge didn’t work and there was a low level humming coming from the air conditioner (I assume) that made it sound like a plane was landing in our room. When I complained the first time about the noise directly outside our room they tried to say it was guests and there was nothing they could do, but luckily I had recorded them on my camera so they were a bit stuck then, but my concerns were completely ignored for the 2 weeks.

Entertainment is non-exitant! Unless you like seeing 6 people miming to Grease....badly. I didn’t see any decent entertainment the whole 2 weeks, luckily the footy was on.

The beach was ok if you like to sun bath the whole time, the sea was murky but that is to be expected as its a man made beach, it was ok to cool off in but no snorkeling there at all. The resteraunt on the beach must have had the left over’s from the main restaurant same muck.

I could go on forever but really, if you are going to book here DONT! You will regret it I guarantee it!"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of July 2006

Hurgada..Never again..

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Just got back from this hotel..the food was terrible and fly covered..6 days constantly diarrheic. lack of information..staff constantly cleaning floors doors eta but seem to lack basic food handling experience.

Was placed in the new building project..the fantasisa pool area which was one week from from completeion, the rooms round the new pool were still under construction...constant drilling, hammering, plastering from 7.30 am to sometimes 10pm

The all inclusive deal, is NOT all inclusive, just food, soft drinks, local beer and wine. Karim Abu Ali the owner of the hotel should be ashamed

Was offered a sahrai, this was declined because l had just 2 days to go of holiday. Given an upgrade to Ultra All inclusive, which l accepted..this ment l could have the occasional local spirit. very slow incoming..THIS HOTEL IS NOT 4 STAR"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of June 2006

A mediocre holiday

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I stayed at Alf Leila Wa Leila for 7 nights 23/06/06-30/06/06 with my male friend. This review is to help potential visitors.

On arrival to the hotel the decor and building are very impressive. The reception staff seemed rude and uninterested. They tried to palm us off with one double room when we had booked for two rooms. This did not take long to sort out though. We were handed a plastic hospital-type band for our wrists which we had to wear for the remainder of the holiday to prove we were all inclusive - not that it means much.

The rooms were clean, thankfully well air conditioned and generally bright. My friends room had a few problems including an broken door lock and dodgy tv set - this was sorted out quite quickly. The electrics in the room sound unsafe and the tv set made a ominous buzzing sound every now and again. There were building works going out outside our rooms and the workmen were banging and drilling from 07.00-23.00hrs everyday, building a new impressive swimming room which for our troubles ironically, did not open till the day we were leaving. We were given the opportunity to move rooms but as we had unpacked and wanted to relax so did not bother.

Breakfast is continental style mainly catering for the German guests including sweet cakes and pastries. Omelette and fried egg on toast is an option is you want to queue for 15 mins fighting off the heat. The toaster looks like something which Carter discovered. Air conditioning was a big problem in the restaurant as it did not seem to work and many people fainted trying to cope with the hot weather and heat produced by cooking. The food was buffet style and included a lot of vegatable, chick pea salads with different breads - nothing too stodgy. There is water, orange/tropical cordial and fizzy drinks available which were often warm. Fresh orange juice and fruit smoothies are not included in the A/I package and cost LE 10 (10 Egyptian pounds approx £1). The many melon carvings which adorned the buffet table were swarming with flies which was quite off-putting.

En route to the restaurant we had to walk past a row of shops selling perfumes, clothes, ornaments etc. The shopkeepers were generally friendly and you could have a laugh with them although it was quite obvious they were only interested in getting your money. Being a woman I got a few looks and whispers but no inappropriate touching or anything offensive. If anything the shopkeepers were a hindrance and we got them off our backs by saying we would come back tomorrow (tomorrow never came). On the second to last day we discovered a route from our rooms to the restaurant which would avoid us walking past the shops.

The entertainment inside the hotel was nil apart from one dreadful show which the animation team put on. The World Cup was shown in English and they even gave us our own room away from the other residents and offered table service - which is more than what the Germans got the previous night when their team was playing. The tv channels are appalling and there were no English speaking channels available. Air conditioning inside the bar and reception was good but not always working.

There were 3 pools whilst we were staying. One which played music, one for children and a quiet one. We ususally chose the quiet one but had to be up at 7am to reserve a bed. Vendors pester you at the poolside offering massages, henna tattoos and comestics. they are again friendly but it becomes a little tiring after telling them for the fifth time that day you don't want their services. If you are pretending to be asleep or genuinely asleep they will still wake you. We tried out a pharaoh massage in the hotel spa which was very good and relaxing (cost LE 250 each).

On the second day we were visisted by a rep from a tour company with whom we booked a trip to Luxor and a jeep safari. The Luxor trip was tiring and was a 8.5 hour round trip on a air conditioned coach. All the coaches have to move in a armed police escort to Luxor which was quite disturbing seeing a multitude of policemen with AK-47's. The heat in Luxor is stifling and quite unbearable (45 degrees) this makes it difficult to take a interest in what the tour guide is saying about the various temples. Valley of the Kings, Karnak temple and Hatshetsup temple are impressive yet again you are bombarded with street vendors who are a lot more pushy and rude than the hotel. Saying 'shuk-ran' which is 'thankyou' in Arabic generally gets them off your back. We went across the Nile on a speed boat and ate by the riverbanks. A horse and cart took us to Karnak temple but beware of men there who want to take photos of you for money.

The jeep safari was excellant and well recommended. You get to spend a day with the nomadic Beduin in the Sahara desert. They are welcoming people and not pushy in the slightest. You do camel riding, tour their camp, watch the sun set over the Sahara then enjoy a lovely cooked meal and traditional Beduin song.

The driving in Hurghada is much to be desired. There is no lane discipline, a lot of tooting on the horn, no indication and most do not use their headlights at night! Also, agree the price before setting off or you can be stung. A lot want payment in English Pounds too. Be careful you don't get ripped off.

There is plenty more I could say about this hotel and resort. I would probably not go back there again and I am glad to get back home mainly due to the unbearable heat.

Just make sure you thoroughly review your accommodation before booking and I would not recommend staying at Alf Leila Wa Leila. There are better hotels in Hurghada for the same price and I visited a few which had better entertainment, no mithering shop-keepers and better bars/food and restaurants. Alf Leila Wa Leila could have been worse but could have been a lot better too."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of June 2006

We read reports before we went and we we...

Reviewed Sat 17th of June 2006

"We read reports before we went and we were dubious.

But all I can say is we had a fantastic time! We paid £450 for a week all inclusive for the two of us! For that money I cannot understand why or how anyone could complain! You certainly couldn't eat/drink all day for that here! The food is buffet style but there is something for everyone! The hotel is going to be a 'resort' and parts are still being finished, but we never heard a thing! We met fab people who were mainly up for a fun time.

The animation team is new and it's enjoyable for what it is. You are not going to get a 'London or Broadway Theatre' show but they are fun and do try! The hotel is very clean the staff are very helpful. I used to be a holiday rep and all I can say is that these people complaining (mainly bout the food and the heat - hey ho you are in Egypt in the summer – (very hot!), where forgetting they are in a foreign country - and I don't think they were ever going to enjoy themselves! If you want English food - stay in England!

I am a very fussy eater and I enjoyed all the foods I ate - I did not have any trouble finding food I liked! The only time we had a jippy belly is after going to the Hard Rock Cafe!

Do go snorkelling it's a fantastic experience - and I hate the sea! Wear a t-shirt in the sea as I burnt badly! The days were getting up to 47degrees! Choose wisely when you go!
The sister hotel, The Dana Beach is huge - over 6000 rooms and it did make this hotel look like a 3*, but for what we paid and the fun we had - it's worth it! I don't think we would have met such great people in a more imposing hotel.

I am only knocking a point off as it does not include spirits in the price, just wine and beer! I am also now looking to go back within the next month as we had such a great time!

One last point, tip the people you think worthy at the end of the week and not daily! (50 Egyptian is what we gave them bout £5). Take Stirling or use Egyptian pounds - we found that they like to charge to the room - just pay when leaving. It's very cheap and a relaxing hotel!

Have fun and enjoy - we did!"

• Travel date: Sat 17th of June 2006