Helnan Dreamland Hotel

Wahat Road 6th of October City, Giza Egypt

serves a purpose

"The Sheraton Dreamland is located about 1 hour away from Cairo Airport. This time of 1 hour was done because we arrived at midnight and departed at 7-30 in the morning. This WILL be longer if you arrive or depart during daylight hours.
Anyway, the hotel is a bit out of the way and it is in a part of Cairo that not alot happens. We found this hotel to be peaceful and quiet and NOT very busy. As anyone who has been to Cairo will know, the centre is a bit manic this is most definately not. The hotel has building works going on, (conference centre and extension i guess), but nothing was being done when we were there, if it wasn't for the advertising boards hiding the scaffolding we would not have known any work was going on. The hotel has 2 swimming pools, we only used the larger of the 2, it served its purpose of cooling us down. The hotel also has other facilities but we never used them. Hotel staff are very friendly, (but not over the top in your face every 5mins), and helpful.The rooms we stayed in are the preferd guest level and were very nice. The mini bar was not stocked. The breakfast catered for anyone who wanted bacon,sausage and eggs to anyone who just wanted toast / cereal or the healthy stuff like fruit and yogurts. The restaraunt is a bit limited in varition but the food was prepared and cooked well. The only way to change currency was through a machine, it didn't work when we were their, we told the hotel staff and it still did not work when we left. The hotel staff were not allowed to change money. If you have stayed in the Sheraton Helipolis in Cairo you will be disapointed with this Sheraton Hotel, it is just not in the same league. Hotel to Pyramids about 1/2 hour away, Hotel to Citidel 45 mins, Hotel to Nilecruise 45mins away. These times were done by a minibus driver who actually drove in a resonable manner. We used a local firm (www.thefreelancers.info), to arrange trips and sightseeing, we were very happy with them and if we were to go back to Cairo we will use their services again. The bottom line is if you want to be a little bit out of the way with plenty of peace and quiet this hotel serves a purpose. We would rate this a 6.5 maybe 7 out of 10."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of September 2009

Simply Dreamy

"The Sheraton Dreamland Hotel was a lovely place. It’s the perfect place to get away from the noise and a hectic lifestyle. The hotel was immaculate, the staff was friendly, the atmosphere was pleasant and the food was great. Even though I was only there for one night, the experience was truly wonderful. The rooms are very comfortable and the modern décor is appealing to the eye. I found this place to be very restful and quiet. The only drawback is the distance from the city or other attractions. Transportation is needed to get around this area; however, only private cars or hotel cars/limos are allowed to enter the hotel. My compliments to the entire staff for such a wonderful and satisfying experience."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of August 2009

do not stay here, i felt like a prisoner.

"i should have heeded the advise of the last person. what a rip off. i want my money back. this hotel is filled with rip off artists, and money hungry desperate people. even at the airport, at my departure, while checking in the man putting my bags on the belt was hounding me for money. that's another story, about the general behavior of the egyptians. buy a cheap cell phone when you get there, put the embassy number in.

the first 3 days i had to take their expensive taxi service, because they would not call a taxi for me or give me a taxi number. they wanted me to pay $30 (170 pounds) daily to use their taxi service (named - halal). it went from $30 to $65 (320 pounds). i didn't pay that 320 pounds. one of the drivers managed to get a 100 pounds from me, he started with the confusing conversation. i had already paid them 140 pounds, then they talked to each other, and he then told me that that was one way. i told them that i will not pay so much to go to downtown, and to give me my money back, because i no longer wanted to go downtown, one way for 140 pounds. i said no, just take me to hypeone mall, a 10 minute ride in the same october city. while i was sitting in the car, i saw the guy coming back with money. instead he gives the 100 pounds to the driver ( the driver puts it in his pocket) and keeps the 40 pounds. what a scam. as i am sitting in the car with my family, two young girls, i just went along, because i was learning about the type of people i was dealing with. after 3 days i was learning about how to deal with these guys. when i stopped dealing with them the concierge and the halal taxi, all of a sudden they didn't understand english. when i asked them to call me a taxi, they took a long time to find numbers, and then told me that i had to call the taxi myself. i had to resort to standing at the door and rushing to whatever taxi approached, and either use them, or asked them for a number of another taxidriver. it was a sad situation. but i finally beat them at their game.

hotel lacks cleanliness- the hotel was dirty. the only place that was somewhat clean was the lobby. i have pictures of the filthy pool, both pools with mold, and junk floating in the bottom, thanks to my daughters fisherprice water camera. it seems that everyone wants to be conceirge, doorman, taxidriver, and waiter, because that's where the tip money is, but no one wants to be clean up. i was saying, since the men see it below them to sweep, have one of those ladies, i saw sweeping the highway in the hot sun with her hijab, and long garb, to do the menial sweeping task at the hotel. i have pictures of the dirty poolside, cigarette butts, trash, junk floating in the pool, dirty hallways that weren't vacuumed the 10 days i was there. i got pictures. i didn't see one person vacuuming or sweeping. there was this one guy i saw one day casually walking the pool area only, picking up a few things. even the beautiful lobby, hadn't been vacuumed.
restaurant - the sign says after 4pm, you pay 140 for whatever meal you order. but then the waiter said, for you today you can chose and pay from the menu, as though he was doing us a favor, scam, he wanted a tip. the spaghetti we ordered was fine, well who can ruin spaghetti. but each time we ate and bought water, and worked with the same waiter, our one bottle of water went up two pounds. i have the receipts, i am going to contact the sheraton.

power outage- counted six. the last two happened in the night, we were in pitch black darkness.
horrible experience - from the beginning with those con artist in the lobby. i really felt like a prisoner. i said imagine i traveled all the way from america, bring my family to egypt and i am stuck in this hotel.
if you go to cairo, stay downtown. definitely do not stay at the sheraton dreamland nightmare. ;) oh you better believe i am going to contact the sheraton. their employees gave the hotel chain a bad name.
egypt, certainly rich with history, but i was quite disappointed with the mentality of the egyptians."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of August 2009

Don't stay here, if you do DON'T use their taxi service

"The major drawback of the Dreamland is the location, it takes half an hour to go anywhere, and you're pretty much forced to take the taxi everywhere. I actually got stopped by the security trying to WALK out of the gate of the hotel because "you must take a taxi"!
I was royally ripped off by one of the taxi drivers who took me to a "friend" for horseback riding. Don't trust the Egyptians. A lot of them see you as only rich Westerners that are easily ripped off. I informed the hotel afterward (paid about $90 for a horse ride! its usually $15, the guide made me go to an ATM and give him a 300 LE tip!) and I was reimbursed, however they didn't keep up their end of the deal to reimburse me for the taxi rides. (Why should anyone have to pay a con artist... I guess it wasn't the first time he had done something like this!!!)
If you stay here, the rooms are very nice, food/room service very good.
Spa was nice too, and very cheap considering the USD/EL exchange rate."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of April 2009

Not a Bad Dream

"We found this on the web a little cheaper than the rest of the major chains - at $100 per night inc tax but not breakfast - and chose it for price/location.

This new cookie-cutter hotel, which opened in the fall of 2008, is adajcent to a theme park for kids and in an area which is an expanding upscale residential area a fifteen minute taxi ride from the pyramids and Sphinx at Giza.

Whilst it's handy for those mega attractions, if you want street life and strolling then forget this place. It's a wasteland at night and essential to ride out in a cab.

But if you want to relax in a comfortable room and don't want the hassle of venturing out and being sold pyramid tat then this is your place.

Interiors are just as the Sheraton's site photos show. In our room on the Preferred Guest floor the room had relaxing colours, decent sized (not huge by American standards), flatscreen tv with a million Arab channels as well as a few showing CNN and Comedy Central (Colbert and Stewart), kettle for tea and coffee and pleasant if compact toilet and shower (no bath) with nice rough marbled floor - lovely against the morning feet.

If you are a detail obsessive the decorative finishing shows shoddy workmanship which is probably of passing or no interest to most of us. Nothing major just things like grouting all over the wrong places and a little light touch. It really doesn't matter but somehow tells you something about the management here.

There are two swimming pools. One is overlooked by a construction site - and the construction is scheduled throughout 2009 - but is pleasant nontheless with the water heated to a comfortable 30 degrees approx. The other pool is out facing the "Dreamland" theme park.

Cannot write much about the food as we didn't have much of it. Mrs Pippsyo ordered a museli for late breakfast on one of her many health kicks. It took quite a while for a bowl to arrive with white stuff in it that bore little familiar resemblance to granola or museli. We also had a pretty uninspiring bread basket - but bread baskets typically are uninspiring so nothing major to report. Service was s l o w.

Front desk staff were helpful and likeable but seemed not quite on top of things. Our 6am wake up call to the airport happened at 5am. Followed by a lot of confusion from us and repeated checking with front desk, the Arab tv stations, roaming mobile phones and so on. They didn't offer anything to pass the time so we requested anyway: and another uninspiring bread basket turned up with a couple of orange juices for free which was nice. Other little things further illustrate the slight cracks: when it came to pay the Pippsyo bill in cash there wasn't any cash so it took a while to find someone who could break an Egyptian £50. And they never did retrieve the preferred guest number.

But all minor stuff: the bed was great and it's all beautifully clean, pleasant, bland, safe and soothing."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of March 2009

Very fair price for what it is

Good

"Almost 5* to my standards. The building is impressive, clean and brand new. The duty managers were great, very helpful and considerate and bent over backwards to accommodate. The other staff however often didn't speak English and while they may have been polite, they often didn't go the extra mile to help (which I'd expect from a 5*). Ten mins to pyramids. 40 mins to downtown. Little to do locally at the moment (although great for pyramids and dreamland amusement park). Few minor teething problems which is understandable as only just opened. I personally didn't enjoy their breakfast, however the dinner was always tasty and food available 24*7. Rooms very comfortable. Internet free from rooms with supplied LAN cable. Wifi free in lounge. Spa a little disappointing - just 2 outdoor pools but a little cold this time of year (and not heated enough!. Gym was basic, grandparents enjoyed the expensive massages however. Overall enjoyable and relaxing and the same price as most 4* hotels."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of March 2009

Nice hotel but NOT downtown!

"Beautiful hotel located inside the gates of a theme park. It's about 7 km from the Giza pyramids and 30 km from downtown Cairo. Pool is great, rooms are big and clean, staff is helpful, restaurant is nice but PRICY. If your breakfast is not included in your room rate, you might want to go elsewhere. 228 pounds for 2 breakfasts!!! But nice to stay away from the chao of Cairo!!

If you stay a couple of nights, you might need to take the hotel's car service to get where you want to go or to the nearest metro station in Giza because not taxis come inside the theme park. For exemple, a trip from the hotel to the downtown train station was 110 pounds (± 30-35 km or ±20 miles). I didn't try to bring the price down, I probably could've.

Also, don't be suprised. When you arrive, you'll passing through «airport security»! This is a real 4.5 - 5 star hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of March 2009

Off the beaten track...

Good

"Nice new hotel with very good service. We stayed for 3 nights Feb 2009 and enjoyed our stay but I didn't realise how far it's located from the Pyramids, it's about a 30min drive. We ate at the only place around, (other than the amusement park right next door). Lovely restaurant, very expensive restaurant! Nice hotel, be prepared to pay top dollar for your meals if you plan on eating in house. Also as we stayed during the winter months so the hotel was very quiet."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of March 2009

New and Comfortable

"I had a very comfortable stay at Sheraton Dreamland last week. After all, everything was new, clean and modern. It was a true 5 star hotel (given by the Ministry of Tourism, which I didn’t trust its rating system after staying at some of the other 5 star hotels in Egypt rated by them).

However, the hotel was not entirely finished. It’s missing the conference center and only one restaurant was completed, even though 2 others were listed on the wall in the elevator. Wireless network didn’t work but the man was kind enough to let us use the business center. The website claimed club guests get free internet, snacks and breakfast at the Club Lounge, but I was told that it only applies to SPG Platinum members. I had Gold and it was useless.

The hotel is situated off a highway, an amusement park and inside a compound. There was nothing around. We were stuck dinning at the Orchid restaurant, where I found the level of service was less professional. For example, I found a distinct lip print on my glass just as the waiter finished pouring a glassful. I pointed it out to him, in which he apologized and poured me a new glass from the remaining in the bottle. At that point, the bottle was almost empty. He then took the dirty glass and showed to the host/manager/man-in-charge. In my experience, I usually get compensated for this. But in the end, we were still charged of the bottle which was 4x overpriced. The mistake of the lip print was at my expense.

Nevertheless, the room was very pleasant, spacious and comfortable. The bed was soft, comforter was fluffy, bathroom was clean, and decor was tasteful. Here are some pictures."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of December 2008

NEW, NICE place

"We stayed for 7 days and it was a great place. Everything was new and some construction was still going on outside, but their was NO problem with noise.Everyone was real nice. The place was quiet, no loud parties. Several of staff spoke good english. We became friends with the tourist police and guards out front. We reconized some of the security from previous stays at the Movenpick and they remembered us...... Not many Americans so I guess we stood out. Food was good. Walked into the DREAMLAND Park, mostly for kids...... Played a round of golf at the DREAMLAND course....... Will come back here for sure.......... Very SAFE place too."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of November 2008

Hotels near Helnan Dreamland Hotel

Stayed at Helnan Dreamland Hotel? Share your insight.

Helnan Dreamland Hotel is also called