Grand Pyramids Hotel

53 Studio Misr Road Mariottia Pyramids, Giza Egypt

oh no dont go

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"I have stayed in many types of accomodation travelling overland from england from backpakers to 5star. Mainly great>This was the worst of them all . Music til 12 at night very loud unpleasant in restraunt and anoying in your room would be ok if big party but only about 4 guests the rest had fled the noise.Reception was the worst the list of problems i had which were not dealt with properly is endless aircon, internet, etc.
oh the bell boy was good and friendly
this is my only ever complaint online"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of August 2007

Less than 4 stars

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"I stayed for 4 nights at Grand Pyramids Hotel and the hotel is definitely less than 4 stars standard though it was rated as a 5-star hotel over at Egypt.

My hubby and I ordered ice cream from the lobby; when the waiter served us the ice-cream, I see that the blue plastic cup (yes, PLASTIC, not those glass which are normally used) is kinda greyish. I brush my finger around the inner side of the cup and see dust on my finger. OMG. My hubby went to told the waiter about it and request to change another cup. AND OMG, my hubby was so shocked that the waiter poured back the ice-cream into the ice-cream tubs in the fridge. We talked to the in-charge that was standing beside the waiter that that is not a right thing to do, but he doesnt seem to be bothered or maybe he just dont understand what we're trying to tell him. I think GPH really need to do some training to their waiter on basic cleanliness and stuffs.

GPH have very nice big swimming pools and is always very "happening" coz they will play music through the day and night and you can hear it from the hotel room. So happening that the music is still on after 10pm. My hubby and I wanted to have an early rest during our last night there coz we need to wake up 5am the next morning but the stupid music just plays non-stop. Grr... How to rest?

The reception are not really prompt and efficient, foods are ok, belllboys are friendly. We do get the "pyramid view" from our room, but we need stretch our body out of the balcany and sees only the tip of the pyramid. If this is consider "pyramid view".

I think there's still alot of room for improvement for GPH, afterall, they are just established for less than a year."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of August 2007

Good hotel, but services can be improved

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"We booked the Grand Pyramids hotel, Studio Misr road on the net and stayed there in october 2006 for 4 nights.It is certainly not 4 star like it says. The room that was given to us was good size with a view of the pool. Quiet and comfortable.

But the services at the front desk was not up to the mark. Not professional at all. If asked for some information they used to point to some other person and shy away. We didnt know if they had a language problem or they didnt have the information. And as some reviews already point out there was no room with the view of the pyramids from the hotel like they show in the pictures on the websites. The pool was a good size. The breakfast choice was limited and the salads they had was not fresh. That said the restaurant was o.k and the room service was good.

Be prepared to travel for quite some distance to go to the city. The pyramids however is a good 20 mins drive, when there is no traffic jam(which is everpresent in Cairo). The surroundings of the hotel itself was not to the best of my liking. Over all an avarage hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of August 2007

GPC was an awful experience - never again

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"my travel agent booked me this 5* (?) two times. First time i've got upgraded to a juniorsuite with King Size bed (US $ 350.--) which was the noisiest room I've ever had in my life. I thought all cars cross through my room. The second night I ordered a camping style bed (quite comfortable) to place this in front of the bathroom-door to have a quiet sleep. Ste horns and the 24 hours trafic jam in the street to the hotel were the worst I've ever had. If one is all day in noisy Cairo, you should have the possibility of a quiet sleep. Walls and windows of this hotel buildt by 205/2006 are not sound proofed.
Breakfast service was 1* level, Buffet was 2/3** level. bathroom were OK no hairdryire enlarging mirror, empty minibar. Neaerly no furnitures in a very large "Junior Suite". Second stay I had a quiet standard room which was quite and OK. Room was very cleen. Swimming Pool is large but can be noisy when lots of children there. Dinner Biúffet was as average for the hors d'oeuvres and mains, dessert section was good. Service was average. Reception and bellboys were not very friendly and all handling (checkout) was very unprofessional"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of August 2007

Enjoyed my stay here

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"I visit Egypt 5 to 6 times each year. This (during May 2007) was my first stay at the Hotel Grand Pyramids. I regard it as equal to most 5* hotels in Cairo. Bearing in mind that there is no such thing as an international star grading system for hotels, and that each country establishes its own system, it is ludicrous to compare a 5* hotel in Egypt with, say a 5* hotel in the USA or South Africa.
With this in mind, I would place the Grand Pyramids on a par with the Sheratons and Hiltons in Cairo.
The staff, whose native language is Arabic, speak some English, some French, some Italian, some Spanish, some German. I found that they made every attempt to communicate with me, as necessary, in my language to the best of thier ability and in a friendly and hospitable manner.
The hotel has a nice pool, is clean and comfortable, and is only a few minutes from the Pyramids. Being in Giza one escapes from the noise and polution of central Cairo
The restuarants offer a reasonable range of food, the bar is werll stocked, the coffee shop charges a reasonable price for excellent Turkish coffee. I would recommend this hotel for short stays in Cairo for those who prefer to be out of the central city."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of May 2007

A decent place to stay in Giza

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"The Grand Pyramids Hotel is located on a busy, congested street in Giza and is about ten minutes by car from the Pyramids. Features include a very nice pool and sundeck, an outdoor bar, a buffet breakfast, a dinner restaurant, and a business center.

Pros: near the pyramids, excellent dinner buffet, and decent service. Rooms are clean, new, spatious, and comfortable with very nice bathrooms. Some rooms have balconies overlooking the pool.

Cons: next to a very noisy street, breakfast buffet not very good, shower tempurature fluxuates wildly."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of April 2007

I love you not Grand Pyramids Hotel

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Our recent stay at this hotel reminded me a little of Fawlty Towers. Does one expect a view of the pyramids as shown on the website? What a silly question! Firstly the facilities advertised are not what you get ,ie no iron or bottled water provided. If you dine in the restauraunt you do not get what you ordered having waited what seems like enough time to build a grand pyramid for your meal. Each day we were not left the correct towels and a call to housekeeping to correct this was met with a need for an incredibly complex explanation of our requirements. Trying to explain "bath mat " to a non-english speaking person is not easy. The air conditioning in our room wanted to cool us with hot air even though the setting was set to max cool. Although this was reported no action was taken to fix the problem during our four day stay. This would not have been so bad if the windows could have been left open however the continual blast of Celine Dion over the pool speakers until 11pm each night did not leave us with this option. The Business Centre offering internet access with opening hours supposedly until 10pm was closed at dusk. They did however let me charge my iPod without payment one day which was a nice gesture. Another nice gesture, consider it appropriate or not, on thanking the waiter for your drink is to be told "I love you". I would like to say I love you Grand Pyramids Hotel but I am afraid you are going to have to get your act together somewhat to earn that love."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of March 2007

Good Hotel

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I stayed at the Grand Pyramids in November and the accommodations were very good. It is important to understand that this hotel started to accept reservations in March of '06 and is not connected to any well known hotel chains. For example, the Hyatt, Hilton or Le Meridien. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean, the buffet breakfast was great. The hotel is not situated on the "avenue" around the hussle and noise from the streets and it pretty close to the Giza Pyramids. If you want to go to the city center it did take awhile, but the taxis in Egypt are very inexpensive. It was great to know that security guards were in place around the entire hotel. The hotel did lack the amenities that a 5 star deluxe hotel should have such as a hair dryer or ironing board, but as mentioned earlier it is still a new hotel own and operated by local Egyptians, who do not know the needs of the American traveler. Overall I enjoyed my stay at the hotel very much and I am planning to stay at this hotel once again when I visit Egypt in November."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of February 2007

Not pleasant at all

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Grand Pyramids in Cairo in Feb 2007. This was meant to be a family holiday as we both have two children, one aged 4 and the other 7 monhs old. As soon as we came to this hotel we faced problems whereby we had to cut our trip short as this was a disastrous holiday. We booked our hotel through Staff Holidays as we always have done. When booking our hotel we were told that is was a 5 star hotel with all facilties a 5 star hotel should have but when we arrived it had none of them. We had requested a cot for our 7 month old son and were told that it would be no problem and that it would be guranteed but once arrivng at the hotel there was no cot!! We were told by Staff Holidays that we had a room booked with a king size bed however we had 2 single beds and a sofa bed. It was now approximately 12.30 am and we were now very tired along with our two little boys. We were now calling the reception from our room trying to sort out the room with regards to the bedding arrangements and the baby cot. The staff were not friendly at all and they did no understand English. This hotel is not child friendly at all. That night we had no baby cot and we had to sleep on the 3 single beds whcih was very uncomfortable. My two sons were in a lot of discomfort and so were we. That night was terrible and so was the rest of the trip. The next day I spoke to the manager and told him what we had experienced that night, but to them our problems seemed like everyday life to them. He said that he would move our room which they did 6 hours later. This room was dingy and agan not cot. Again we asked for a cot which we got 1 hour later. The bed was a normal double bed. The bathroom was very smelly and last but not least there was a leakage. We were meant to check out from this hotel on the 22nd Feb 2007 but as this was a horrible holiday we left on the 20th Feb 2007. The staff here were not helpful at all. They were not understading or sympathetic and were very rude. This was our 1st trip to Cairo and will surely be our last. I would not rate this hotel a 5 star. I would rate this hotel a 1- 2 star hotel. It specifes that this hotel has a mini bar, hairdryer etc as all 5 star hotels should have. They had a mini fridge but it only had ice cubes. No hairdryer. The room only had a bed. not even a kettle. This hotel was no way a 5 star hotel and I just wanted to put my views across for anybody thinking of staying at this hotel.
Think twice before booking this hotel!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of February 2007

Grand Pyramids Hotel...Not my first choice

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"If you'e looking for a bare bones, no frills, not near anything hotel except for the Great Pyramids, then this hotel is for you.

This hotel was included as part of a 2 week Egyptian Tour that was prepaid by the tour operator. While the rooms are clean and adequate, they do not have the amenities described on their website. Specifically, high speed internet connection does not exist despite the presence of a data line within the room. I asked various members at the front desk for high speed access and their response was that high speed connectivity was reserved for hotel staff only. There was no response as to why the data line existed in the room to begin with. The hotel does not even have a computer workstation that can be used by hotel guests. Staff response was to use an internet cafe near the hotel.

If you're not familair with the location of this hotel (in Giza), it is no where near any tourist sights and is too far from central Cairo. If you plan to see the Great Pyramids and only the Great Pyramids, stay here. If not, stay in Central Cairo and head to the Pyramids for a few hours.

This hotel is also rated as a "4-star". At best, it is a low 3 star. I changed hotels to the Grand Hyatt in Cairo, and the Hyatt is rated a "5 star". There is a significant difference between a 4 star vs. a 5 star...BEWARE!"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of January 2007

Fabulous

Reviewed Fri 14th of October 2011

"Excellent hotel. Good food, friendly service.
Recommend trying the 3 hour top to toe treatment in the spa.
Good pool, pleasant gardens surrounding it.
Make use of the taxi hire in reception. A driver and car for just over 6 hours cost us £30. Went where we wanted, for as long as we chose without having to wait for the inevitable stragglers.
Unfortunately we then had a 7 day cruise on the MS Domina Prestige from Luxor - see separate review!"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of October 2011

My wife & I stayed here for 3 nights in...

Reviewed Thu 17th of April 2008

"My wife & I stayed here for 3 nights in March. We had travelled all through the previous night, and arrived at about 11pm, tired and hungry. We were told that the restaurant was closed, but that we could order room service if we wanted instead. The hotel room was large, clean and well laid out, with 2 armchairs in addition to the usual. There are a number of restaurants in the hotel itself, and we ate in them, all of which served good food at very good prices, for a hotel. We found the staff to be helpfull and friendly, though there was a bit of a language barrier at times in the restaurants. One thing that stood out was that in the lobby there was a desk for visitors to approach to get any help they might need. This was a good idea, as it meant you didnt have to queue up at reception with questions that didnt concern the hotel itself.
There is a good sized swimming pool, which was kept crystal clean at all times.
The location of the hotel isnt bad, though its not exactly a "walk" to the Pyramids, unless hiking around the streets of Cairo is your thing. There is not a lot locally in the way of bars and restaurants. This hotel is good as a base, not as the center of your holiday.
The hotel is built in an "L" shape, one leg of which has a view of the top of the pyramids in the distance. We had the view, but did hear some other guests expressing dissapointment.
Overall a good hotel with everything you expect from a 4*"

• Travel date: Thu 17th of April 2008

Hotels near Grand Pyramids Hotel

Stayed at Grand Pyramids Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Grand Pyramids Hotel

• Bibblebobble by Bibblebobble

"Have a massage to relax after the experience of Cairo "

Grand Pyramids Hotel is also called