We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Gawharet Al Ahram Hotel

103, Al Ahram St, Giza Egypt

Basic, but good

"When we arrived at the Husa Hotel in Giza, we were really disappointed. It was poorly decorated and appeared a little 'shabby'. However once we settled in we found the spacious rooms, restaurant, location and all the staff including those who organise the tours compensated for the poor decor.

It is a basic hotel, but for the price we paid, it was definately value for money. It's in a great location, near the pyramids and there's no hassle from the shops, you can sample 'normal' egyptian life. I would recommend this hotel for a budget holiday and would stay here again.

Some advice, be prepared for the hassle at the pyramids it's quite intimidating and irritating."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of July 2007

Good place to stay in Giza

Good

"This hotel was a great place to stay. The rooms were clean, the location was near the pyramids with a view from many rooms and the rooftop restaurant."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of June 2007

Worst hotel in Egypt

"I go to Egypt almost on a monthly basis and I must say this was the worst hotel I have ever been in. The best part of it was a dirty dark, and run down lobby, which was also the newest part of the hotel. The worst part was the service, the staff is completely useless and kept me waiting for a room, which should have been ready, for two hours. My advice to anyone is, do not be fooled by how cheap the price is, there is another hotel a few miles away just as cheap and much better."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of June 2007

Best value hotel around the Pyramids!

"I started by checking Orbitz and a first it was rated a 2 star hotel but when I arrived after staying a Concorde hotel which was rated higher I was expecting another bad hotel. When we arrived it was great and clean and the rooms were nice and had been updated but most important was it had a new A/C unit and the bathroom were great. The water was hot and clean! I brought my wife and 9yr son so the room had 2 queen beds and single for my son. It was great to sleep in a nice bed! The hotel was nice with a pool and 2 resturants, coffeeshop, 2 giftshops, barber. They had everything you need and the area is alive with shops and resturants down about a 1/2mile which we walked everyday. The only bad part was there was no internet cafe but we found on down the road which was so cheap! The hotel staff does a wonderful job with everyone in and out and security is always present to help if you need it. We never felt we need security but it was there anyway. The only bad part was the hotle allows people to smoke everywhere but that is Egypt as a whole and not just he hotel. I rate the Hotel as a 4-star and I paid $28 a night there through Orbitz in early April. I would stay there again as we love the clean rooms and value which if failed to mention with free hot breakfast. The breakfast was okay but we just went for coffee and fresh pastries. The breakfast club staff in the morning were tops! Always wants to make us smile and I have stayed on more expensive hotel but for the price this place has my business again!"

• Travel date: Wed 9th of May 2007

Friendly and helpful

Good

"Although this was not my first time to Egypt (having done a Nile cruise with my husband in November 2006) it was my first time in Cairo.
I came with my daughter this time and I booked on line with Ebookers (who I can also thoroughly recommend) and had a simply great time. We arrived April 9 2007 and stayed for one week.
The hotel got us transport on our first days travel and we were very lucky to have found him. His name was Sammy and he took us everywhere at very reasonable rates. He waited for us and gave us great information about everything. He had very good English and was very friendly and helpful. He made us feel very safe also walking with us round the busy roads and shops and helping us with our deals.
The hotel was good, clean and again friendly. We had a huge buffet breakfast every day (included with our price) and sometimes had our evening meal there. Again I can highly recommend the Spicey Shrimps( huge prawns to us )
Our rooms were always clean and tidy when we returned at the end of the day and they were happy to please with any room service needed.
My only disappointment was the video I purchased in the hotel shop about Cairo that I took home to give my husband so he could see the delights of Cairo. It was a copy of a copy very dirty and very inferior quality, but hey you cant have everything.
Just one small word of warning if you travel back to the UK as we did via Zurich dont be tempted to buy duty free drink or perfumes, even if the shops say you can and seal the bags you will not be allowed to take through Zuric customs and will have it confiscated like we did. Unless you have the time to get it into your hold luggage before flying on, we didnt and had to loose the lot."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of April 2007

Good relation quality x price

"The hotel has a good view of pyramids, is clean and the staff is very friendy.

However, there is no business center and if you would like to use internet, you should walk about 10 minutes to find a lan house.

The decoration is unfashioned.

The boutiques near the reception are very good and is possible to buy good and cheap souvenirs.

I recomend this hotel by this relation quality x price (the hotels in Cairo are very expensive), but if you need to go to Cairo with frequency, be prepared to stay more than hour in a terrible trafic. The hotel is not so far from Cairo, but the trafic jam make it looks like it is very far."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of April 2007

Cheaper than Asda! (or possibly Wallmart?)

"We booked this hotel through a reputable tour operator on the basis of pictures and descriptions on the internet. The hotel is described as 4* with discoteque, pool, internet and within easy reach of local attractions including the Giza Pyramids. The discoteque was non-existent, though personally we were not too disappointed by this. The pool was small and clean but was very much overlooked by people dining and we never saw anyone use it. We found the location of the pool surprisingly exposed in a very muslim working environment, and particularly as there was a Mosque next door. The internet was non-existent, save one machine on the front desk reserved for staff only. The Giza Pyramids was within walking distance, we did it in about 20 minutes but within 200 yards we were subjected to constant pestering from touts offering all sorts including camel rides. Having visited the pyramids before we were able to fend the touts off, but this would be difficult for many tourists particularly those travelling with children. There were actually no local attractions for the regular holiday-maker, though if you're interested in walking amongst local people going about their daily business and seeing how the other half lives, it's interesting. Personally we enjoyed this but it would not be everyone's cup of tea. However, it's true to say that staying at this hotel you can see the real Egypt - busy, noisy, dusty and pretty poor.
The hotel was clean, the room, albeit rather small and dark, was cleaned every day and laundry was returned, beautifully clean and pressed, the same day. However, from our room we had a wonderful view of 2 pigeons nestling on the decaying brickwork and pipes of the next building, 4 feet away! The staff were friendly and courteous but the notion of 4* service is obviously new on the agenda in this area. The hotel boasts a rooftop restaurant with views of the pyramids. The restaurant was good, not pricey, service a bit slow, and the view was spectacular...... despite rennovations on the roof during our stay. If you want to see the pyramids whilst you dine, go there early as the pyramids aren't lit up at night. This may be a seasonal thing.
The buffet breakfast was only just adequate and became boring after the second day.
We arranged airport pick-up directly through the hotel email prior to leaving - communication was excellent and the car arrived on time.
If you're looking for a 4* hotel, this is not it - the lobby is grand but beyond that there are no frills. We would best describe this hotel as a 2/3* - no frills, average but honest."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of April 2007

Nice Surprise

Good

"Nice and clean, not too expensive, restaurant on site and others within short walking distance. I am American, so that gives you an idea of my standards. This was not a fancy hotel with extras, but it was new and there was a pool."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of October 2006

Husa Hoteles Great place good price

Good

"It was great staying at the Husa Hoteles Gawaret Al Ahram. The staff was quite friendly. The room was not that great, however. It did need a lot of work for "modernization" but when you leave the room, the lobby and the surroundings are great. You may think that shopping in hotel stores is a rip-off but not at this hotel. The stores downstairs have great prices on merchandise and they're comparable to the bargains you can receive on the streets. Now the shopkeepers are probably the best people I encountered throughout my visit. Mr. Hazem, Romy, and Ahmed (from the travel agency) are the nicest people you will ever meet. The terrace restaurant is at the top and has really good food. The breakfast restaurant is great along with its staff. Overall, they did a fabulous job. The only reason why I did not rate a 5 star is because of the room quality. But I would highly recommend this hotel.
If this is your first time in Cairo, DO NOT take the offer from the tour guides who approach you at the airport. Especially El Nakhil Tours. Airport tours are very expensive. Wait until you get to the hotel and go to the travel agency downstairs. Speak to Ahmed or Hazem. That was the mistake I made."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of April 2006

Hotels near Gawharet Al Ahram Hotel

Stayed at Gawharet Al Ahram Hotel? Share your insight.

Gawharet Al Ahram Hotel is also called