Movenpick Resort El Quseir

Sirena Beach, El Quadim El Quadim Bay, El Quseir 84712 Egypt

Great and relaxing stay

"Fantastically relaxing hotel. Rooms were lovely, beach was good and the pool area was also nice. It felt like I was in a different country for the couple of days I stayed. The food, I thought, was absolutely fantastic. Caters well for veggies as well. Was met at the airport and the driver drove sensibly to the hotel which believe me is a rarity in Egypt!"

• Travel date: Wed 5th of November 2008

Nice stay!

Good

"Stayed a week at the Movenpick in El Quseir.

The hotel itself is lovely and about 1 hour away from the airport.
It's not one of those mass tourism sites where they make you were all inclusive bracelets and so on. The food was very good considering it being in Egypt and it definately did not dissapoint me at all. The hygiene at the hotel was very good. The kitchens, chefs / food and all other details where very clean and hygiene focused. (Swiss chef)

The rooms were not very modern, but are very clean.
The beds were soft and the sheets and towels were also very crispy clean. so although the room was a bit dated we felt comfortable there.

The pools were pleasant and the beach was also nice. The Subex diving place was very professional. I paid 370 euro's for my weeks worth of diving. But it was worth it. Make sure you reserve in advance!

Otherwise El Quseir town is not worth going to. 10 tourists shops with hasslers."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of June 2008

Great stay at the Moevenpick El Quseir

"Just returned from a week's stay at the Moevenpick El Quseir and really loved it. The small bay the hotel is located at is really nice, even the beach was better than I expected for Egypt (almost fine sand), and the possibility to enter the water directly (no need for the jetty) is a plus. A negative aspect of the beach is the main road directly behind it... there's not a whole lot of traffic, but depending on wind/waves you can hear the trucks going by. Didn't really bother me, but some might not like it.

The food in the hotel's different restaurants was just great, difficult to choose where one would like to go each evening... Even the main buffet was just fine, but got a bit crowded (and the hotel wasn't full).

The rooms are ok, albeit a bit small and somewhat spartan regarding furnishings. But for a mostly outdoors vacation that was good enough -- though I have to say I expected a bit more of the room for a hotel of this category -- but then I came there for the sea and desert (definitely try the quad tours around the desert!) and diving. Also try to get a room near to the main pool (el quadim). We stayed in the 12 block and that was really nice as most areas were close by. Rooms at the other end of the resort are a long way from the restaurants and beach.

Which leads me to the Subex diving center located at the hotel: it really is as professional as many other reviewers already stated, and offers nice equipment, a range of diving options, nice guides etc. But I did find their prices rather steep -- was kinda shocked when the total for all the dives was added up at the end. Also do send an email reservation if you plan to go diving with them -- takes a couple minutes and ensures you'll have a box there during your stay.

So to summarize: spent a great week there and would heartily recommend the hotel for people looking for a nice relaxing stay in Egypt (no animations, disco etc) with great diving and wonderful food."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of April 2008

Great Time

"We spent Christmas 2007 at Moevenpick Resort, El Quseir and we were looked after very well. It is a low key resort and that's why we chose it. I would thoroughly recommend it. Good food, good staff and excellent snorkelling. Just one piece of advice would be to watch the mini bar and to check any mini bar items on the bill before departure."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of January 2008

Winter sun

"Overall, this is a great hotel for a bit of exposure to the sun, sea and beach. Good for diving and snorkelling. If you wished, you could spend a whole stay here without leaving the grounds of the hotel (judge for yourself whether this is good or bad). This is not a place to go if you are looking for noise, shopping, lots of music and dancing (although there was a tiny amount of those).

We spent 7 sunny days in the Movenpick which is located about 2 hours from Hurghada airport. It’s in the desert about 3-4 miles north of El Quseir (a 5 euro taxi ride when booked from the hotel). We stayed in room 1206, a seaview bungalow with a kingsized bed. The room had a balcony facing northeast (so with limited direct sunlight). Thick walls so very quiet. Some 2 storey accommodation available; we personally like the domes of the single storey bungalows and would avoid the 2 storey accommodation.

Good time of year to go, although was windy on a few days - apparently fairly windy from the end of November to April and this can limit the snorkelling (and to a lesser extent the diving). Weather is 24-26 degrees in December and sunny. Generally fine for sunbathing, but better in sheltered areas (there are good windbreaks on the beach).

Loved the hotel itself. Although built in 1995, it was in good condition. As in common with most hotels in Egypt, the star rating wasn't accurate - it's a good 4 star hotel (which is how it is rated on certain websites) rather than a true 5* (we hear you need to try the Oberoi in Hurghada if you want true 5*). Having said that, we also hear that the Movenpick is one of the best hotels on the coast, and from our experience we would recommend it.

We liked the facilities such as the sauna (no cooling room, big sauna, Jacuzzi, variable (un)dress code), the massage was okay (male masseurs only). Mountain bike hire was cheap; you can cycle to El Quseir (via a busy asphalt road) or into the desert (try the ghost city, an abandoned phosphate mining village). Didn’t use the tennis, squash or archery facilities. Horse riding was good with rides into the desert, along the beach and in a menage area. Giant chess set was fun. Didn’t play table football, pool or table tennis. Gym was small with little cardiovascular equipment. Can run along the beach to and through the neighbouring Radisson grounds – markers for distances every 500m. Care going in opposite direction – there’s an outpost and we were stopped by some soldiers and gently quizzed.

Diving was okay. Excellent school (google “subex”) – helpful and competent instructors and good modern equipment (apart from steel tanks). Apparently books up in high season – book in advance. House reef, occasional dolphins, but little large marine life. Great snorkelling, but woman renting out snorkelling gear not v knowledgeable (she is separate from the diving school). Day trips and zodiac trips available, but we didn’t use them. Canoes and pedaloes were available for hire. This is not a resort for watersports like windsurfing/parascending etc.

Beach was not large and the back of it bordered on the road – this was okay as the hotel was not full.

Food in restaurant good. We were on a half board tariff. All drinks (including water) were extra. We were initially concerned about food in Egypt, but this restaurant was excellent in terms of hygiene. No problems. There are other restaurants too, but a premium needed to be paid for them. A daily complementary bottle of water is provided in the room.

Other guests were German, Italian, French and English in that order of frequency. As such the TV channels were not geared towards English (2 news channels. 1 movie channel, a cartoon channel and the discovery channel in English. There were sports channels and the Arabic channels were sometimes in English with Arabic subtitles. All the rest were German/Italian/French). English library books were a little limited – do bring your own reading material. A little too much smoking in the indoor communal hotel areas for our liking, although this was well separated in the dining room with a separate room for smokers.

Internet access available for laptops for the duration of the stay for a flat fee and there were also 2 terminals available (you pay for these by the hour).

Cashpoints in hotel and a bank desk were also available. Note that as the bank is not under the direct control of the hotel, the service differs from that elsewhere. It closes early if the teller needs to go home early and they will not go out of their way to be helpful. Personally, I find being served whilst the teller is holding a telephone conversation with a friend (I presume it was a friend by the intermittent peals of laughter), with no eye contact with me not ideal. Having said that, that was better than being told to go away when I arrived 15 seconds after midday by their clock (the bank closes at midday; the hotel’s clock still read 11.59am), or turning up 10 minutes before closing time to find that they had decided to go home early. Surly service was better than no service – on one morning, they decided not to open at all!

Excursions and taxis could be organised by a tour company called New Line Tours which has an office in the hotel and in El Quseir. Their prices are cheaper than most tour operator organised trips and these leave daily, unlike the tour operator trips. Beware though – the guide provided for the 1 day Luxor trip we took was appalling – we would hire the taxi and buy the entrance tickets ourselves next time. Having said that, we did get to spend 60 minutes in the guide’s relative's shop so it wasn’t a total waste of time – he asked me for my professional advice, so he got something out of it. We, on the other hand, were disappointed to have only been given 6 minutes at the final sight – the Temple of Hatshepsut – before it closed. Shame that we had to travel 10 hours and pay 75 euros each to do that. We would recommend using New Line as a taxi company to go wherever rather than hiring a guide from them: as a taxi service they were very good; as a tour operator, they were poor.

Don’t bother visiting the “Dolphen Shopping Centre” opposite. There are 3 poor quality tourist shops with aged goods and there’s a pharmacy. No food and water supplies in date in the tourist shops. The reason the shops say they don’t stock much food is that the electricity is regularly turned off and they can’t keep food cold. I don’t know how the pharmacy manages to keep their stock cool... Still, it’s very cheap and you don’t need a pesky prescription.

Service – excellent. This was where the hotel excelled. Nothing was too much trouble. Roberta, the guest relations manager, in particular was excellent. Good security around the hotel. Was impressed to see the general manager turn up at dinner time to make spot checks on what was going on.

Overall, a wonderful week. A good hotel with superlative service. We probably wouldn’t go there during peak season, but it was great when things were quiet. Recommended.

Garry & Katja"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of December 2007

My favorite overall hotel experience

"I arrived at this hotel after 10 hours on a scary overnight bus at 5:30AM. (I was very dirty and smelly.) I felt like most resort staff would have been rude or worse, but when I arrived (my reservation not until the following day) the Movenpick the staff and manager acted as if I belonged there, sent me off for an amazing (free) breakfast and had a room ready (at least 6 hrs before check-in) when I was finished. The hotel grounds are beautiful, and it would have been one of my favorite hotels even if they hadn't treated me so exceptionally. You will not regret staying at this resort! I even named my trip advisor screen name after this resort. I've stayed at many 5 star hotels and resorts before and since this trip and have enjoyed none more than this. For a full -on adventure take the bus from Cairo!"

• Travel date: Fri 20th of July 2007

fantastic holiday at Movenpick El Quseir !

"We returned from Egypt last night and couldn't wait to tell all about it ! The hotel is fantastic ! The staff all do their outmost to help where possible and answer to your needs.
The diving center is very well organized and with friendly staff.
My husband did some beautiful dives and I went snorkling on the
house reef and saw the most beautiful fish and corals ! A complete new world for me.
The buffet food was very good and various dishes were available.
We also tried the other restaurants and all were of good quality.
Our room was very spacious and spotlessly cleaned every day.
We always look for peace and quiet during our holidays and must
say that the hotel was perfect for that! Never a crowd or lack of chairs, loungers or tables. Very relaxing atmosphere.
We wish to thank the complete staff for making this holiday so
perfect for us! We will hopefully return !
Luc and Martina Belgium"

• Travel date: Fri 15th of June 2007

Pleasant hotel, beautiful reef

Good

"A clean comfortable hotel on a beautiful reef lined bay .
The staff were very friendly and attentive - although the hotel was only 2/3rds full so we may have seen it at its best. The room was spotlessly clean and the king sized bed very comfortable. The restaurants were a mixed bag - the buffet was OK and the clifftop a la carte (Seagulls?) was fine, we're vegetarians and didn't feel we missed out too much.
The complex is big - low rise spread across a large area - but nicely enough done. We had paid extra for a seaview and the room overlooked the beach - but you could have been quite a long way away from the main block and beach.
The beach is private and smallish but well kept and there were plenty of loungers when we were there. There are lots of umbrellas and windbreaks which we were glad of as it got both hot and breezy. The main attraction is the sea- the reef is accessible right from the beach and you seemed to have as good a chance of seeing big and brilliant fish by snorkelling as diving. The dive school police the bay so theres no fishing, motorboats etc and the fish are completely fearless. The dive school (Subex) were very good with us and will lead all sorts of courses and expeditions. Theres not a lot to see outside the hotel unless you make the trip across to Luxor."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of June 2007

Very Nice, but is it really a 5-star?

Good

"We chose this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and on the fact that the travel agent here in Italy told us it was a 5-star resort and the best in El Quseir. It may be the best in El Quseir, but I think the 5-star status is slighty exaggerated,
The resort is attractive, with well-tended gardens, bugalow-style rooms (which are becoming a little shabby, though they are kept very clean) and a carefully kept sandy beach, with easy access to the sea. Staff are attentive, helpful and charming.
We were "all inclusive" and our breakfasts and lunches were taken in the indoor Orangerie buffet restaurant. As someone else commented, the Orangerie is a litte depressing (and men MUST wear long trousers for the evening meal). The buffet food was never hot, but tepid at best.
However, there is the option of booking evening meals (at no extra cost) at the Al Fresco restaurant, by one of the pools. Here, there is no long trouser requirement and the setting is very romantic and far more elegant than the Orangerie. Beautifully prepared and presented food -- the only "drawback" is that one chooses from a limited (and very creative) a la carte menu. I would strongly recommend that you go to Al Fresco. It''s a far nicer way to enjoy your evening meal.
The beach umbrellas were far enough apart to give us privacy, but the main road runs along the perimeter fence of the beach. That was quite strange the first couple of days, but we tuned out the lorries after a while."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of May 2007

They all deserve a round of applause!

Good

"Great resort in the middle of nowhere with perfect weather.
Food was good and they really try. Service and overall staff attitude was excellent. Facilities were very, very nice. The main dining room is a bit depressing with its carpeting and 'old Holiday Inn' furnishings but the outside dining is great.

Roberta was a peach.

A truly great escape."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of April 2007

My husband and I went to this hotel for...

"My husband and I went to this hotel for our honeymoon in 1999 and returned again in 2005. On both occasions we had a fantastic holiday. The hotel itself has beautiful accommodation, a beautiful beach and really nice swimming pools, and a drink at the bar on the rocks at sunset is the best way to wrap up the day. The staff are exceptional, the majority of whom are trained in the Movenpick HQ in Switzerland, they remembered us from our previous visit! There's a very good dive school, excellent for novice divers in that they are very attentive and the diving on the house reef is not in the least bit intimidating. Even thought the majority of the guests are there for that reason (including ourselves) the hotel does cater for non-divers, with plenty alternatives: horse riding, quad biking, tennis, squash, day trips to Luxor. The hotel cater well for children, with plenty of activities going on throughout the day. To top it off the food is great - I really do think you get your monies worth and even when the hotel is full it doesn't seem like it. I recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to get away from the hoi polloi in Hurghada and Sharm.

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of September 2008

Expectations were disappointed. The hot...

"Expectations were disappointed. The hotel resort itself probably meets the needs of most holiday makers predominately interested in diving to be fair. We booked through Longwood with whom we now feel very aggrieved and they are not interested! We had a 5 hour transfer from Luxor that we were not informed about. I was travelling with my elderly mother, 80 yrs.

We arrived and were courteously greeted but then shown to a double bedded room and told the hotel was full, no apologies. We had booked far enough in advance and they subsequently were offering discounts for this period so I felt this was quite unfair. We lost a further half day whilst I pursued a room change.

The complex is spotless but requires a lot of walking (about which I had enquired and was incorrectly assured of its suitability for our circumstances), the walkways are also very poorly lit! Mood lighting I was told but frankly with the steps etc it would not be allowed here. I ended up with a nasty fall off a very high kerb! 10 minutes to reach the beach from our room and we were not the furthest! (we were told we could walk straight on to the beach). There is also a long flight of steps down to the beach (loos at the top) or a 10 min walk on sand to the other side where loos are more accessible.

However to go swimming there is only a 5 mtr wide area in the middle of the bay where it is possible due to the coral. It appeared to have excellent diving facilities and most people seemed to be pursing this. I took advantage of the snorkelling trip and facilities which was very good. The sun bed situation was typical and difficult to find as most 'reserved' from the early hours yet remained empty most of the day! We seemed to be the only British! It is mainly German and Swiss visitors. Forget the advertising of a sea view, it is not worth the money from most of the rooms, and the majority are no where near the beach. The rooms are set around the rocky shore, inaccessible, very few actually facing the sea.

Food - main restaurant offers a variety of choice, buffet style, but we found the food unappetising, lukewarm and in many cases inedible. We were on half board and eventually discovered 2 other evening restaurants we could book for and pay supplements. This was preferable. Day time snacks were good and available from the swimming pool areas. The main pool is heated but what they don't tell you is the other is not! (eco reasons). This is the 'quiet' relaxing pool area and the water is Freezing so very few actually used it!

The cleaning staff were excellent and helpful, reception a little surly and enough disappointment due to our expectations of a much higher standard we were led to expect.

The trip to the town of El Quesir is led by the in house activities chap and sweet though he was just consisted of a drive into the town and please read the information on the wall plaques!! Amusing. Camel and jeep excursions also offered.

Overall the resort was spotless, a sprawling complex, a sterile environment though with no atmosphere, rooms adequate, beds very comfortable. Be warned a 7 hour return journey to Luxor, not advised of in advance by agent of course.

I now understand that most travel companies won't tell you for fear of putting you off!! But with an 80 year old I am sure you can appreciate some circumstances require truth."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of January 2008

Hotels near Movenpick Resort El Quseir

Stayed at Movenpick Resort El Quseir? Share your insight.

Movenpick Resort El Quseir is also called