Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna

Main Street PO Box 72, El Gouna, Hurghada Egypt

Good

Lovely hotel, but single female travellers beware

"The Movenpick Resort & Spa certainly lived up to my expectations fully with regard to the quality of the accommodation and the food, and as the holiday was booked for the purposes of rest and relaxation it fitted the bill perfectly. I indulged in the Bliss spa package at the Angsana Spa and would highly reccommend both the Al Sayadin beachfront seafood restaurant and the Bua Khao Thai restaurant within the Movenpick resort. Restaurants outside the hotel failed to provide comparable quality of food, service or ambiance.

The big downside of this trip however was the very high level of unwanted attention from Egyptian males experienced both inside and outside the hotel, and which as woman who is accustomed to travelling alone I found quite disturbing. In the hotel, I was propositioned on separate occasions by a pool boy and a member of the housekeeping staff. In the El Gouna resort, same such advances were made one evening by a waiter in a much mentioned Abu Tig Marina restaurant and a taxi driver who drove me on another evening from the hotel to Downtown El Gouna. I did not therefore feel safe either inside the hotel or out in the resort area.

On the last evening of my holiday and following an incident of a staff member letting himself into my hotel room for the purpose of asking me out, I had no alternative other than to make a complaint to the hotel. Whilst the guest relations management team seemed very sympathetic and removed the offending member of staff from working near my room, they did little else to assure me that the issue would be more widely addressed.

I was sad to find that I was unable to enjoy this holiday because of what can only be described as sexual harrassment !!!"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of August 2006

El Gouna - Egypt Lite

"My wife and I have just returned from two weeks in the Movenpick El Gouna. I thought I would add my two pence worth to what has already been said about this excellent hotel and resort.

Firstly this is “Egypt Lite”. For those who have been to Egypt before, to locations such as Sharm El Sheikh or Hurgarda, and put off by the constant stream of “bakshish” ((بخشش) which means "gift."), this will be a pleasant surprise. Within the resort for the entire 2 weeks we were never hassled for a tip, or cajoled into a perfume shop. This is because the resort is tailor made for high end tourists and marketed as the “Red Sea Riviera” complete with high class marina and golf course. The vendors have a strict code of conduct as part of there lease. This does mean that the prices are slightly more than other resorts but I think for the relaxing time we had strolling round the moored “Gin Palaces” and shops, definitely worth it.

The Movenpick is massive, I paced out half a kilometre from our room (Cluster 7) to breakfast, but this has the up side of plenty of room at the myriad of beaches and cluster 7 has its own lagoon pool and bar and is close to the dive centre.

The snorkelling off the hotel reef was disappointing, as were the reefs we visited on a dive boat. There was a lot of dead coral and considerably less fish when compared to Sharm. However Dolphin House reef did live up to its name and 11 dolphins turned up when we were snorkelling there.

The Marina area is great, loads of restaurants and we can recommend the Tandoor Indian restaurant and also the French bistro around the far side.

Downtown Kiki’s is a good Italian (supposed to be the oldest restaurant on the resort) and Jobo’s had excellent Pizzas plus, for those who cannot survive without them, real chips.

The local beer, Sakara Gold, is great and cheap. However, if you like to drink spirits be warned, 2 large gin and tonics and a large Cointreau and lemonade set me back £30 (Stirling!!) so check out the duty free at the marina within two days of arrival or alternatively enquire about all inclusive option as it may be worth it just to cover drinks, as soft drinks in the hotel are up to 10x the price in the downtown supermarkets (£1.50 for a coke). We stopped off and topped up with ice tea and water on our way home each night, mainly because the Lagoon bar did not stock iced tea.

As for excursions, we went to Luxor for two days with a dawn hot air balloon trip over the west bank of the Nile, which included the Karnak Temple (by day and again at night for the sight and sound show), Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut Temple, Luxor temple and a boat cruise. It was two long days with a 4AM start both day, but I would not have missed it for the world. Luxor is hotter than the coast and at this time of year that can mean 55-60 degrees centigrade, that’s gas mark 4!. So be prepared."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of July 2006

Resort and hotel too quiet

"My wife and 3 children stayed at the Movenpick for 1 week. To be honest we found the hotel very boring and too quiet. My daughters were aged 13, 15, and 17 and were very fed up. There were very few other children for them to pal up with. After 2 days around the pool we had to book some excursions other wise we would have been ready to go home.
We went to Luxor by coach for the day and it was fantastic, we all enjoyed this trip so much even as it was a round trip of 19 hours. We went with the Dive Tribe on a snorkling trip and this was excellent. We also went to Gitsun island for a day and this was brilliant. The fish were plentiful and so many colours. We even had dolphins around the boat and a turtle.
Back to the hotel. The beach at the Movenpick is very shallow with no coral and no fish to see. If you want to see the fish you will have to go on a boat trip.
As people have already said the food and drink in the hotel are very expensive. We didn't see many people buying drinks around the pool, they went into town and bought their own, as we did.
El Gouna is still being constructed, it is very dusty and dirty. There were a few shops but nothing of interest.
The marina was very nice , but once again it was dead. You could sit outside of the restaurants, but most of the time you would be the only ones there. The whole area had no atmosphere at all, although we were not there on the Friday.
If you are English you will probably have to ask for your welcome drink, we didn't get one and several other English people didn't get theirs as well. I guess they do not like the English !
If you want a very quiet holiday with no atmosphere and with nothing to do for yourself or children then this is the place to go, but if that is the case why go all that way, I am sure there are better places to stay.
We will definately not be going back to the Movenpick. Best of luck !"

• Travel date: Thu 13th of July 2006

Excellent Holiday!!

"My husband and I stayed at the Movenpick for 2 weeks 16th June - 30th June, we had a lovely time, and will def go back there later this year.

Hotel

The Hotel is very big, which meant a different place to sunbath each day! Try to visit all of the pools and lagoons on site, as it's easy to sit at the same place each day, and miss out on what the rest of the hotel has to offer! We stayed on a B&B basis (as per the advise previously given on this site), and I would recommend this option to others as well, dinner in the hotel wasn't great, and it was so cheap to eat outside of the hotel.
However, breakfast was very good every day.
Staff were always friendly and helpful. They loved teaching us the language, - we got a lesson in Arabic every day!!!!

El Gouna

El Gouna is a purpose built resort, so you are not visiting the real Egypt. However that was fine by me, as it made my holiday more relaxing as you are not hasselled at all by the locals or shop keepers!

Must visit the Marina on a Friday night for the shows which are put on free of charge, and then Downtown on a Saturday night for the free entertainment again. The Marina is the best place to eat out, we recommend Bleu Blue (try the duck) and Thomas's (for the Pizza!).

A tip is to buy your bottled water from Downtown as it's only 15p per bottle. The hotel charges £1.50 per bottle!!!

Excursions

We flew to Cario for the day. This was an excellent trip, and well worth the money (£150pp), the cheaper option was to go by coach, however it would have taken about 7 hours just to reach Cario.

We also did quad biking in the desert, another brilliant day and night out!

Weather

Yes it was hot, but not unbearable! It was 34-36 each day, and not a cloud in the sky! Just make sure you drink plently of water!!!

I hope this has been useful to anyone looking to book a holiday to Movenpick El Gouna!
Have fun!"

• Travel date: Fri 7th of July 2006

They will get my business again.

"Booked a diving holiday through Regal Dive and selected this holel because of the dive centre being on site.

Very happy with the decision. The hotel was very comfortable, clean and tidy and the staff were very friendly.

As suggested by another reviewer, we asked for rooms on the far right side of the campus to be close to the diving centre. That entailled an 15 minute round trip walk from the room to the dining hall each morning for breakfast. Next time I will try for a room a little more centralised.

For our evening meals, we visited the Thai restaurant on site, and realy enjoyed the food. On other nights we went to the Marina. The Bleu Blue restaurant lived upto it's reputation for excellence and the The Tandoor was very good as well.

I would NOT however recommend the Captains Inn. They have a very small menu most of which was off the night we tried to eat there. The main reason for advising avoidance is that of the three of us, one ordered chicken which was served virually raw whilst another ordered a RibEye steak well done but was served a raw sirloin steak. All meals were served with cold fries and veg. To staff couldn't care less. It took more than half an hour of arguing to get a suitable result re the bill.

To get to and from the Marina we generally went down by bus and came back by TokTok which was a lot quicker and more direct.

Already considering booking the same holiday in september."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of July 2006

Movenpick El Gouna - Superb

"Returned from the Movenpick 30th June after 14 wonderful days, 1st time to El Gouna and will definately return.
Cannot fault the service and staff, friendly and efficient cannot do enough for you.
Stayed in cluster 7 overlooking the lagoon pool, although a bit of a walk to breakfast the view was superb.
The Marina area was by far the best place to eat out, try La Scala restaurant best food in El Gouna, try the Beef Medallions with Lemon Tart for sweet ( to dye far).
Best restaurant for value for money was Seventh Star, also ate at Bleu Bleu which was also very good.
There is a duty free shop on the Marina but you need to shop within 2 days of arrival, mainly American goods. Take your passport.

ENJOY"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of July 2006

6th Visit and still love it!!!!

"My family and I go back here time and time again. I can't fault it - clean, spacious, relaxing, friendly staff etc etc. Have tried the Sheraton Mirimar but the Movenpick is far far better in every respect. The new spa area is lovely and the spa itself is wonderful - would highly reccomend!!"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of June 2006

lovely hotel

"i just got back from a week stay at the Moevenpick El Gouna in egypt.
the layout of the hotel is just stunning! i have stayed at many hotels in the red sea area and this is the best as far as location, scenery and general beauty.

the hotel is built around three stunning lagoons, which are connected to the beach with direct access to the sea. the hotel is fairly large so be ready to do abit of walking. ( the staff are given bikes to ride when moving around the hotel). bikes and kids scooters can be hired too.

i found all the staff to be very polite except the guy in the clothing shop in the hotel complex. he was abit pushy. the pool attendents were great, and work very hard making sure every one is comfortable.

there is a hotel bus which goes every 20 mins into downtown. costs about 10 egyptian pounds per person for a weekly pass. the bus will drop you outside bestway supermarket and filling station across the road. walk towards it and go through the alley way, and the Tamr Henna restaurant is on your right. as to be served by MOHAMMED HASSAN who is the nicest man in el gouna. make sure you leave him a nice tip. he served my family every day. the food is great and very cheap. about £2-£3 per person per.

try the souvenair shop across the restaurant as the guy there is cool to let you just browse. he is won't hassle you to buy if you dont want to. watch out for the carpet guy in the rug shop next to his though!

finally, buy all your soft drinks and water from any one of the supermarkets there as the are much , much cheaper than the hotel prices and you can walk into the hotel with them. put them in the fridge in your room. almost forgot, take a tok tok back to the hotel. its a moterised rikshaw type thing. costs 50 pence each. get in, pray to your God and dont open your eyes for the next few minutes. "luvely jubley" as the driver said to me when i told him i was from london

neil gabriel"

• Travel date: Tue 20th of June 2006

Lovely area

"We have just returned from a week spent at the Movenpick in El Gouna. Before going i was a little apprehensive about travelling to Egypt what with all the bombings in the previous months however when we arrived i immediately felt safe as there were many checkpoints that we had to go through before entering the resort.
To get into the hotel you had to go through 2 policed gates and then at the reception door there was a metal detector that you had to go through while the guard checked your bags. Once inside the reception was cool thanks to the air con (definately needed as temp was about 35 degrees every day) and kept to a high standard.

Checking in was quick and simple and the bell captain took our bags down to our room for us. We stayed in cluster 7 which was about a 5 min walk from reception. The room was very spacious and extremely clean. Our room had a pool and a lagoon view which was lovley, the only thing we could possibily have moaned about was the very heavy footed people in the room above us!!

For those of you that like to have TV they have quite a few english channels, MTV and 2 movie channels which kept us entertained in the evenings as there wasnt much to do in the actual resort itself.

We only had one evening meal in the Movenpick ( as we were B&B) which was a buffet at 150 Egyptian pounds each (£15 roughly) which wasnt anything to write home about but the breakfast was faultless, so many different things to choose from, cereals, pancakes, fresh fruit, fry ups, toast, cakes etc.

The best place for food we found was on the Marina (about a 5 min ride away) and we ate at Captains Inn (great for steaks) and Bleu Bleu (the best food on the entire trip!) They did a variety of dishes from chicken, fish and steak and quite a few veggie options. The best thing overall though was their pudding called Dinos chocolate cake - its fantastic! A standard meal of 2 starters, 2 mains and about 4 bottles of beer cost us about 290EGP which was roughly £29.

The easiest and most fun way to get around was by Tok Tok (50p each person per journey) but there was also a shuttle bus that went to downtown and the marina about every 15-20 mins. We bought a weekly ticket and it cost £2 for me and and my boyfriend whcih was excellent value for money.

We only went on one excursion to Ciaro. We were picked up at 4.30am and didnt arrive back to our room until about 10.30pm which was an extremely long day but well worth it.
We went to see a Mosque, the Pyrimids, the Sphinx and our guide took us on a suprise trip to see a Papyas factory which is Egyptian paper made from a plant that are then have exquisit paintings of King Tut and other Egyptian images on.

I also unfortunatley suffered from what they call Pharoahs Revenge (or travellers tummy!) I went ot the pharmacy in downtown and they gave me some tablets which worked quite quickly and were extremely cheap however didnt last that long and im still suffering even now im back in the UK. Im not sure where i got it from as i pretty much ate and drank the same as my partner but it didnt ruin the holiday.

On the resort they have their own camel trips that take you all round the resort - we opted for a 1 hour one but i think half an hour would have been better as they make your legs very sore!
Overall we really enjoyed our holiday, the staff were exceptionally friendly and couldnt do enough for you, the resort was very clean and more like a tropical garden with excellent pools and beautiful views. (and even though we heard the hotel was quite full there were always plenty of sunloungers available)
Im not sure if we would go back as it was very hot and to be honest we got a bit bored by about day 5 but if you are looking for rest and relaxation then this is the place to go!!
If you want to ask any questions on El Gouna then feel free to email me."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of June 2006

Great Place

"Spent a week here after a week on the Nile and Luxor. The Movenpick is enormous but friendly with good staff. The very positive comments left by veryone i would agree with. For those arguing about Star ratings, catch yourselves on. The Movenpick is bfilliant and excellant valuef rom money. C\ouldn't fault it."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of June 2006

Enjoyed our stay apart from very tired room

"The standard rooms at the Movenpick although large need serious upgrading especially the bathrooms. Poor fittings and moldy shower is not what you expect from a hotel of this standard. The outlook was not the best but position wise was good. Food in all the restaurants was excellent as was the service. The gardens were beautiful and the pool areas excellent, especialy for young families.We chose all inclusive but would not opt for this if we returned to El Gouna. The harbour is lively and there are lots of good restaurants to chose from. Getting around the area is easy you can catch a shuttle bus from the hotel which is fantastic value for money or you can catch a tuc tuc which are great fun and very cheap. "

• Travel date: Wed 15th of December 2010

not good enough sorry!!

"definately not 5 star as advertised would struggle for 3 stars if I was rating it.
Needed a quiet rest and definately quiet!! room needed upgrading ttiling in bathroom especially shabby!!
Staff in the main were very pleasant and halpful which helped with the relaxation but the enetertainment was virtually non existant or poor to say the least.
Could I recommend--def not sorry would suggest looking elsewhere especially if want nice food and tidy clean rooms without having to walk miles to get there"

• Travel date: Sat 13th of November 2010

Hotels near Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna

Stayed at Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna

• jaspar100 by jaspar100

"Great place to chill and winter sun "

• AmyLouise123 by AmyLouise123

"Quadbiking through the desert, Go Karting, Fishing, Cultural Activities, Beach, Watersports, Clubs. "

• janty by janty

"try somewhere else first "

• skimonkey by skimonkey

"Recommended - we will return "

• skimonkey by skimonkey

"snorkelling, sunbathing, swim-up bar in the pool! "

• Mozzie by Mozzie

"Mahmaya Island absolutely beautiful "

Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna is also called