The Bedouin Moon Hotel

Blue Hole Road, Dahab 46617 Egypt

More hostel than hotel?

"Just returned from 10 days at the Bedouin Moon, we had a double with sea view at 48 euros a night. We went to Dahab because of the scuba diving, and we dived Reef2000 which is attached to the Bedouin Moon.

Good features:
* Lovely swimming pool
* Nice setting facing the sea with mountains behind
* Great balcony, facing the sea

Poor features:
* Dodgy wiring - some bare wires hanging out of the wall, light electric shocks from the cold tap in the shower when wet.
* Blood stained sheets - it looked like they had been laundered but the stains hadn't come out. We did manage to get these changed after some complaint.
* Smelly bathroom - shower going straight into room with no curtain, open drain in the center of the floor into which shower and also air conditioning pipe drain - the sort of thing you get in most hostels.
* Cockroach problem, especially in the dive shop (not nice to find them in your regulator.)
* Air conditioning very noisy and not very effective (although we did go at the hottest time of the year, it is probably fine for spring/autumn.)
* Neither the hotel nor the dive shop can take credit cards, and we had to pay our 1200 euro bill in cash. This involved a long hot round trip to a bank on the last morning of our holiday - not ideal. When I protested, staff shrugged and told me this was normal for egypt. I am not sure it is normal for a this size of bill.
* Difficulty getting fresh sheets and towels - we had to request specifically every few days.

(NB, Also be aware that the hotel hosts large groups of soldiers (marines); we arrived just as a party of 58 left. Apparently they were fine, just a bit of swearing and streaking and one incident involving a dead cat. However, it might be worth checking when they're booked in if you're going with young kids or are easily offended.)

In general, we had a relaxing time at the Bedouin Moon. All of the problems reminded me of budget hostels I've stayed in - suspect electrics, cash only, the odd cockroach. Overall, I'd say that the Bedouin Moon is a hostel with a pool and a hotel price tag."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of August 2007

Great hotel, in a great location!!

"My girlfriend and I have just come back from Dahab, and I'm compelled to write some things about the lovely Bedouin Moon hotel. I've been to Dahab before and stayed in one of the big resorts, which I found to be a thoroughly soul less experience. The Bedouin Moon is the perfect antidote to that. It's a lovely quiet hotel, done out in a traditional Arab style, and set about 25 minutes walk from Masbat (the lively area of Dahab). We had a sea view room, which was simply furnished, but perfectly acceptable. It had a lovely balcony that looked out across the Red Sea to Saudi Arabia.

The Egyptian staff at the hotel were fantastic and friendly, and the whole place had a really nice family feel to it. I also have to mention the pool which is fabulous. It's built up high, and you have stunning mountains on one side, and the glorious Red Sea on the other.

I was diving with Reef 2000 while I was there, and I couldn't fault them either. There were extremely well organised, and again very friendly. The diving in Dahab was as always excellent!

My only complaint was with the airline we flew out on - FLYJET. Absolutely without a doubt the worst airline I have ever had the displeasure of flying. They have just two airlines in their fleet - very tired Boeing 757's that look like they came out of a museum. The standard of the seating is appalling. On the way out my girlfriend was sat in a seat that was lopsided, which she found very uncomfortable. On the way back I had a large chunk of metal sticking in my leg from the seat in front. It really doesn't inspire confidence. The crew are also the most miserable I have ever encountered, but I imagine they get paid peanuts given the obvious lack of investment by the airline in other areas of the business. Let's just hope they spend a bit more on servicing, because I didn't feel safe at all. The landing on the outbound flight was the hardest I've ever experienced and resulted in the crew needing to carry out a "safety check" after the plane skidded to a halt. Nice!

So go to the Bedouin Moon - it's fantastic - but choose another airline if you can!"

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of June 2007

Genuine chill down time

Good

"Stayed here 3 times now - booked via agent and travelled independently. Its a great place to chill out, people genuinely friendly and attentive - great value for money. Many of the sea view rooms are getting a bathroom upgrade and that's a big plus. For me, its a nice location in the quieter part of town away from the Hilton type white blocks - its a gentle walk into town or a cheap and cheerful taxi ride. Lovely mountain backdrop, treat yourself to a bedouin dinner, the clear star lit sky is breath taking.
Take full advantage of the dive facilities - terrific bunch of dive instructors who will make certain you learn to dive and not just get a PADI certificate. And its a great place to upgrade your skills, take an additional course. In short, if you want a relaxing holiday with some great diving (or yoga) book in - you will be looked after"

• Travel date: Wed 30th of May 2007

Couldn't have asked for better..

Good

"My expectations for Bedouin Moon were pleasantly surpassed on arrival. It is located about a kilometer or two from the main center of Dahab, though prefer being out of the town somewhat as it's much quieter and more private. Transport too and from was easy and cheap enough if you did decide to catch a taxi, or even when walking.

The accommodation itself was pretty simple but comfortable. The views on either side, across the Red Sea, and up to the mountains were both incredible. The pool setting was great, again with a good view and nice decks to lie on.

The food was good, breakfasts included in the price.

Also great was having the diving facility right by the hotel thus not needing to travel for a diving experience. Definitely would recommend this to anyone wanting a relatively cheap and comfortable holiday in Dahab."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of May 2007

I feel relaxed, relaxed, relaxed! ....I loved It

"I stayed here between May 5th-12th and had the most relaxing holidays I've had in years. This was my first trip to Egypt and I was travelling alone so I was very careful to research where I went beforehand and I am really pleased that I chose Bedouin Moon.

I went there to spend a week scuba diving with the dive centre at the hotel, Reef 2000, and I was impressed by both Reef 2000 and the hotel itself (which are both under the same management).

The dive centre is one of the most professional and friendly centres I've ever dived with and everyone made me (the solo female traveller) feel really welcome. Everybody meets at 8.30am to brief on the day's diving and you pack your things in the jeeps and drive off to the various different sites (including the Blue Hole, Canyon, Bells, Caves etc etc). In the afternoons/evenings you can just relax by the hotel pool which sits on the hill behind the hotel and overlooks the red sea with a view to Saudi Arabia. I also did a boat trip and a night dive, both of which were really worth it.

As for the hotel, it is located on the red sea itself and is about 1km north of the main town, which meant it was ultra relaxed and it only costs GBP1 to get a ride into town anyway. The hotel is simple but nice and there is the option for Yoga in their new Yoga room, or massages, camel rides, Bedouin nights (where you eat dinner in the mountains at sunset) and many other activities, so you don't have to be a diver to enjoy this place. The hotel staff are really friendly and helpful also and rooms are air conditioned for those hot nights.

All the other guests I met at the hotel were repeat guests, one diver I met had been there about 30 times and the others about 4-5 times and that says a lot about how much people enjoy this place. I will also go back soon, because this really is the place to relax with such friendly people.

If you want the party/pool lifestyle then go to Sharm El Sheik instead, because life in Dahab and especially the Bedouin Moon is completely on relaxed mode, away from all the tourist hordes and you will lose track of time..."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of May 2007

Exactly what I was after- cheap, fun, clean and Egyptian

"Staid for a week in this perfect place. Was a bit hesitant about an egyptian 3star hotel after travelling through egypt last year and only staying in 4 or 5 star hotels but it was perfect. Dont get jooped into thinking you have found a good deal staying in a 4 or 5 star hotel elsewhere as you pay like £2.5 for a beer and about £8 for a meal and £1 for a bottle of water (I know from previous experience). Here was £1 for a beer, £4 for a calamari platter and 40p for a big bottle of water. Also the dive centre is built on to the resort so lots of westerners kicking around to socialise with and a brilliant view over the beach, which was a stones throw away. It was the same staff day day in and out who were extremely friendly and they had a couple of lads who would drive you into town for £1, so you felt at ease being looked after by the same people. Also free internet access.
Would go back definately."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of February 2007

even a haven for the old gals

"A group of middle aged women found solice in the surroundings of this relaxing and caring hotel.
The accomodation was spotlessly clean and the food very tasty.
What was reassuring was the fact we all agreed how safe we felt and won't hesitate in returning on our own.
The whole experience was quite uplifting as we had time to do a variety of activites in and out of the water. The evening in the wadi was a joy as the shooting stars were particularly active.
The customer service and hospitality of the staff made the holiday. highly recommended."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of December 2006

this feels like real eqypt

Good

"I've been to the Bedouin Moon twice and will return.

It was one of the first hotels in Dahab to be build by a bedouin, is very pretty (a german architect) and now part english owners. small, authentic, you know you're in egypt.

Plus: right on the beach, fantastic views compared to Hilton complex etc, house reef makes for convenient good snorkeling (if tide right) the small (but growing busier) road outside brings a succession of Bedoiun boys and men on camels, jeeps etc which makes me sound a saddo but we found interesting. Beautiful pool with views of mountains and sea. The staff are chatty, guests oddish and friendly, the owners on hand, and the saturday after the bombings the place ran the biggest party Dahab has ever seen. awesome. drinks etc cheap

Cons: never managed a hot shower yet, alcohol very limited, a cheap 5 min taxi ride into town, mosquito nets dont always work."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of October 2006

Lovely hotel in beautiful setting

Good

"I arrived at the hotel having read that it was a 2 star hotel not expecting very much. On arrival I was really suprised. It was situated right on the beach with mountains on the other side. It was built in a bedouin style and was really pretty. The rooms were clean and ours had a balcony overlooking the sea and air conditioning. We paid £12 per person per night for a double room.

The pool was great with lots of sun loungers and a breeze. The bar was right next to the pool with a wide screen TV (we were there during the world cup so they showed all the matches). The restaurant was fine but nothing special, although they did served you food and drinks at the pool.

Attached to the hotel was the Reef 2000 dive centre which caters for all scuba diving or snorkeling needs. The staff here and at the hotel were really friendly and helpful. The hotel also has its own house reef right in front of it which can be snorkled/dived.

The hotel is about 4km from the main part of Dahab. It is walkable but it takes about 40mins. However, a taxi only costs £1 (UK). So if you're after a slightly quieter hotel, away from the really touristy areas this is perfect. I had an amazing time and would definately recommend it!"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of July 2006

Friendly hotel

"Having stayed there before, my boyfriend warned me this was an Egyptian two star. My expectations were understandably low. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean (ours had a/c, some have fans), the food in the restaurant was good and the staff polite and helpful. The best part for me was the pool. Set up higher than the hotel at the base of the mountain it overlooks the Red Sea and receives a lovely breeze - a necessity in the midday sun, and being a hotel mainly used by divers the pool was quiet from 10-4 with a choice of sun loungers. I would definitely return."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of May 2006

Hotels near The Bedouin Moon Hotel

Stayed at The Bedouin Moon Hotel? Share your insight.

The Bedouin Moon Hotel is also called