Penguin Village

Mashraba St, Dahab 46617 Egypt

Good

Second stay at Penguin village this year

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"For the second time this year I stayed at Penguin Village and again it was super! The staff is friendly, the divecenter well organised, very professional and not too expensive.
Again I really loved staying at Penguin Village!"

• Travel date: Thu 1st of November 2007

No need to look any further: Penguin Village is the place to stay

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"Like last year, it was great staying at Penguin Village. The staff are great. Emad (general manager) and Hazam (restaurant manager) as well as all others in reception and restaurant try their utmost to make you feel comfortable.
Emad is superb in arranging all kinds of tours and he makes his promises come true. And at a good price!!
There was only one night they could not keep up with us: We were a group of 20 people who all wanted to eat something, everybody something else. Everybody (expect me of course) were emptying their beers very fast. But no problem there. New beers came. But I wanted a tea. Tea? Yes tea! That was probably a strange request. But then again, who is this strange little woman who wants her tea before (!) dinner and that while all others are having beers? Yes, the tea came, but after the meal!!
Emad and colleagues: Thank you so much making our holiday a perfect one!!"

• Travel date: Sun 28th of October 2007

Great Vibe!

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"We just finished a 7-night stay and this hotel is fantastic. The location is perfect…right on the water and in the middle of town. The rooms are simple and clean. Our room had A/C and an ocean view. We also booked our scuba diving through Penguin Divers and the staff was courteous and very professional. The other recommendations are right! I don’t believe the previous negative review here. I will stay here again and would recommend to anyone."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of October 2007

Entire place smelled awful

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"It was a horrible experience. The entire place smelled like Piss and [--]. The Room I was in smelled so bad, it was like sleeping in a toilet. My neighbor had to leave her door open for the smell to clear out, but it didn't. The sewer pipe opens up inside the bathrooms so the entire place just stinks. Can you imagine sleeping in a room that smells like a sewer? I had the back room double with no view. It was just so bad we checked out the next morning and went across the street to Octopus hotel. What a difference. I don't know why Lonley Planet even recommends Penguin. THat whole place smelles like an open sewer. Seriously."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of September 2007

Loved Dahab and Penguin

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Fantastic location, with great value. Dive Centre was great, and offered cheap dive rates -- while still safe and PADI certified. Breakfast was fantastic. Staff super helpful."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of September 2007

Good place - I would probably return

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"I went there because friends recommended this place. It has a great location, but the rooms are a bit run down. The food at the restaurant is ok too, although I got sick half way trhough my holidays. The dive center is great.

Overall, friendly staff, very helpful, but the place needs a bit of updating."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of May 2007

Penguin Village = Perfection

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Perfection best describes this place. If a 7 star could be given to any hotel it would be given to Penguin Village. Service, Location, Amenities, Restaurant, Management, Room, Views- the complete package in one and just a stone throw away from paradise at a fraction of the price of a 5 star hotel. What else could u ask for? Let the staff pamper you and make you feel at home.

Emad is the man who could fix you up with absolutely anything and everything to ensure your holiday is perfect!

X Quinn"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of May 2007

You will never want to leave!

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"Looking for a place where you can feel like you are at home, where the staff never stop smiling and are constantly concerned that you are happy and comfortable, where the food is great and cheap and where the hotel staff love you like you are their family - then this is the place for you. Penguin is quiet, chilled yet close to the action and you wont get hassled everytime you set foot outside. The dive centre here is also excellent - Did both my Open water and advanced courses here and wouldnt use anyone else - safety is their priority with excellent instructors and equipment!

Emad - the hotel manager is awsum and couldnt do more for you and will organise anything and everything for you all with a smile.

A warning however, you might come here with the plan of staying for 2 days and 2 weeks later you may just still be here!

Dahab is paradise on earth and Penguin is paradise in Dahab."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of April 2007

Number one reason to visit Egypt

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"What can I say, after a hectic stay in Cairo I was looking for some revival so on some friends advice I headed to Dahab to the Penguin Village hostel.
For the price I paid I was not expecting much, but was assured that the city itself would keep me entertained.
On arrival I was totally speechless. There is no reason to even leave the Penguin Village when in Dahab; this place is absolutely amazing!
It is in the perfect location, with all the amenities you could possibly need, the best food in Dahab and I think the thing that makes it stand out from all the rest is the staff.
I have never met nicer, genuine , friendlier people in my life.
They truely go out of their way to make you feel at home and welcome you to the penguin family. Emad, Mohamed, Adel, Rubia, and everyone else will blow your mind with their hospitality.
After being there for one day I felt like I had been part of the family for my whole life.
I'm already planning my return trip this time skipping the craziness of the cities and going straight to Penguin Dahab, heaven on earth. Best holiday I've ever had!"

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of March 2007

great location in a great town

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Spent a week in Dahab windsurfing and stayed at the Penguin Village, we had a top time. The room was basic, but if you are out most of the day as we were it is just somewhere to crash after a night on the Sakara (the local brew). The location is fantastic for the town and restaurants etc. A short taxi ride was needed in the morning to get to the lagoon for the windsurfing, this cost 10LE (equivalent of £1.00 GBP) each way. There are plenty of taxis and I enjoyed the ride in the back of a pick up.

If you are looking to spend more time at your hotel you might want to pay a bit more and get some extra creature comforts.

Excellent budget accommodation in a fantastic town."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of October 2006

Don't stay at the Penguin Village Hotel

Reviewed Fri 6th of March 2009

"Hello,I'm a backpacker from Buenos Aires, Argentina.I've been to Dahab on january this year and stayed at the Penguin Village Hotel.Me and my friends booked a snorkelling excursion with the hotel's agency.Before leaving for the excursion we left our money pouches in my suitcase under lock in my room (which I shared with a friend).When we came back the door of my room was locked as i had left it,but once I came inside I noticed the zipper from my suitcase was broken.Long story short there was a thousand dollars missing from my money and some 400 euros missing from one of my friends.When we told the hotel manager,he blamed it on us at first,saying we could be faking the whole incident,which was ridiculous.We all ended up in the tourist police office,which is basically a joke,but i needed to feel like some justice was being made!
The next day we left the hotel,and they didn't charge us for the rooms,but with the money they stole from me I could have paid for it for almost half a year.I had to change my whole plan after that since they only left like 400 dollars and my credit card,and i had a month trip ahead of me.
So my only way to get back at them for what they've done to me is by telling you to choose another hotel,where more security is guarranteed!!and my advice for those travelling to Egypt is to be very careful with your money!Best of lucks!"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of March 2009

Hotels near Penguin Village

Stayed at Penguin Village? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Penguin Village

• mariana24 by mariana24

"Dahab is an exellent place to relax,iand if you stay at the right place you stay at the right place you "

• mariana24 by mariana24

"the blue hole is a must "

Penguin Village is also called