Ibis Styles Dahab Lagoon Hotel

Dahab Egypt

Neilson Fantastic, Hotel Not So Good

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"What a brilliant holiday, with brilliant people.

The hotel itself is reasonable, we were in a garden view room, which are too small for too people, and the bathrooms are small as well, but useable. They were cleaned every day, so cleanliness was never a problem. The grounds of the hotel were really nice, because they are gardens. The pool area was popular, but more children were in the pool than adults.

The food at the hotel was reasonable, the breakfast was nice, and the lunch at the lagoon bar was fantastic, and cheap (you could get a hot sandwich for £2.60 (26.00LE.)) The diner did get very repetitive, and it was a little difficult some nights to find something that i liked. One night there was an outdoor diner and show which was a really nice change. All the staff were also really helpful.

The neilson centre was the place that i spent a lot of my holiday. I did feel a little out of the group at the beginning of the week as i was there to dive, and not there to windsurf or sail, but towards the middle of the week, we knew the group really well. From what i could see and tell from most people, the windsurfing and sailing was really good, and there was lots of opportunities to free sail. The beach would open at 9 and close when the last person was off of the water.

The diving was amazing, there was a lot to see. The dive center, Black Rock, itself was brilliant, and all of the people were professional and well trained as well as a lot of fun.

A brilliant holiday, made all the more enjoyable by the Neilson staff & Black Rock divers!"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of July 2008

Friendly & spotless...will go with Neilson again

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Fab, Fab, Fab .... we booked this Neilson trip and are very pleased we did !!
We upgraded to the sea view rooms another major plus. These rooms are absolutly fine - spacious and spotless !!
The place is lovely all low rise you can hardly see the hotel from the wonderful beach which is clean with warm water and plenty of places to snorkel.
Must do's:
The free Tri Dive, The blue hole, upgrade your room, visit Masbat with the tour op (it cost s a pound) and then see if you want to do it by yourself (we personally couldnt stand the hassel), make time to talk to the staff they really are lovely warm and friendly people.
The massive bonus for us was the ease of this holiday - the free beach towels every day and the fact that you never need to carry a penny with you at the hotel as you can pop it all onto the room.
There are a couple of bars and we found the ones at either side of the hotel (surf bar and sunset i think) were lovely places to be at sunset and into the evening.
The food is good and plentiful ... breakfast is a choice of pastries, toast , omlettes, plancakes, waffles, fruit ham and cheese etc. great for setting you up for a day on the water. The terrace where you eat your meals has a lovely view of the pool.
We were really pleased we booked the St Catherines Monestery it was so informative and a great half day trip (through Neilson this was £25)
I guess the one draw back for me was that if you dont do the windsurfing or dinghy sailing you can be a bit left out of the loop, a couple of other s felt this also, but if you are there to do these things the staff are fab and my boyfriend thought sherriffe the begginer windsurf instructor was brilliant and managed to pass his level 1 RYA. If you are there to relax there is a top guy called Zizo who teaches belly dancing , water arobics etc .
overall we would definatly go back to this hotel"

• Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008

Not a luxury hotel, but a nice place to stay.

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Very nice hotel. Certainly not a luxury one, but overall a pleasant place to stay. Rooms are small, sometimes with minor inconveniences. Good place for windsurfers. Nearest place for snorkeling is about 1km walk. Many opportunities for outdoor activities. The food in the restaurant is good, composed of mostly local cousine. The staff is friendly and as as always in Egipt, you can get very good service if you tip them generously. I recommend it if you spend your time mostly outdoors."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of July 2008

Great for Wind Surfing but.....

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Wonderful location, long, beautiful, clean beach and clear seas. A very nice place to be in Feb.

The windsurfing from Neilson is great with a good expanse of beach and bay but dinghy sailors maybe disappointed. Egyptian regulations confine dinghy sailing to a relatively small and uninteresting corner of the bay. There is no beach launching from Neilson so you are towed in partially rigged boats to the sail zone. You then complete the rigging while tied up to other boats. Because Neilson prefer to keep you in "classes", you are often limited to the speed of the slowest. All in all the whole process can easily take over an hour. This can get very frustrating particularly for more confident sailors and is a long way from the ease and convenience of other similar resorts.

The hotel is set in lovely grounds. The rooms just about adequate (by modern standards) but the bars and restaurant lack atmosphere and can be pretty chilly in winter months. We would go again but with expectations more realistically set."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of March 2008

NIce enough

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We had a lovely time here. The food is not exciting, but it is mass catering and is better than expected.
The drinks in the hotel bars are UK prices which is a bit of a cheek when you see the prices in the town down the road.
These holidays are not about cheap booze or 5* food, they are about activities and there are plenty here.
The training I found was amongst the worst I have come across with one exception...JAY!!! awesome, I will not mention the name of the poor trainer as he may have improved since.
The hotel room (superior) was great and in a fab location.
Lunch at the Italian is great value and tasty.

TIPS:
Visit the Blue Hole
Take your own snorkel/fins ... there are loads of fish right by the beach
Buy a short wet suit £7 - £20 from Decathalon
Go to Masbat early and stock up on spirits and water for your stay...You will not believe the price difference.
Be prepared to Haggle!!!
Try Ezzy's mountain bike rides
The Vodka in Funny Mummy is actually White Rum, dont complain, they will not believe you.
Take imodium!"

• Travel date: Sun 9th of March 2008

Neilson @ Coralia Clab Dahab

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"What a fantastic time! So good, I stayed an extra week!

The hotels is fine. It's not the Hilton but I went there to sail with Neilson and I spent hardly anytime in my room.

Reception, bar and restaurant staff are all extremely friendly and helpful. The pool is clean but in two weeks I didn't see anyone using it as the hotel is right on the beach. My first room was a sea view room and though basic was more than enough. My second week I was upgraded and the room was superb, in fact it was more than I needed.

The food is better than satisfactory. It's not chips beans and sausages. It is mainly local food an the theme does change from night to night. If you are there for two weeks it will become repetitive. But Masbhat is only five mins and £1 in a taxi. Food there is excellent and drinks half the price of the hotel. If you need any help getting there ask the Neilson guys and they will help you out with tips on where to go. My choice is Funny Mummys, sounds touristy but I can assure you it isn't.

As for the Neilson Centre. What can I say? If you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced dinghy sailor, windsurfer, tennis player or mountain biker they can help at all levels. You can choose to do the activities or just sit back and watch at the Surf Bar, it's up to you. The tuition is superb and all of the kit is excellent. The guys at the Neilson Centre will give you a holiday to remember. You'll never want to just sit around a pool ever again!"

• Travel date: Sat 1st of March 2008

Absolutely fine.....

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"After reading the reviews I was a bit worried about staying at the hotel but it was fine. The standard rooms are basic but the garden or sea view rooms are better. The facilities are good and the staff are friendly and attentive. There was a good selection of food. It wasn't very hot but we survived the week without any upset! A good hotel if your in in Dahab for the diving or watersports but wouldn't recommend it for a chill out holiday."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of February 2008

Great watersports, not so great hotel

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"This is a Neilson Beachclub hotel, 60 rooms for Neilson guests. The rest of the guests were made up of French and the usual rude, borish Russians. This resort is specifically aimed at windsurfers, which is the reason we went. The Neilson staff were, as always, very good, if perhaps a little more relaxed and less hands on than in other centres. Equipment range is very good and tuition good.

The hotel however is a whole different story. The rooms (we had booked a seaview room) were small, basic and very tired. T.V didn't work, no safety dep. box and no furniture on terrace. The only upside was that they were clean and remained so during the week. There are some newer rooms which I understand are furnished to higher standard make sure you get these. The food is without doubt the worst I have had in many years and that is including some dodgy 5* Cuban all inc. hotels. We only ate in the hotel on 2 occasions and we were both ill 3-4 hrs after the meal. Drinks are redicuously expensive, the Hilton next door is of a much higher standard and the drinks are dramatically cheaper. The local town of Masbat is a ten min. taxi ride and is full of fantastic resturants, The Indian and Chinese at the far end of the promenade are both excellent.

We did enjoy our time here but we spent our time on the beach (lovely) or out in Masbat."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of November 2007

Lovely place

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"We booked a last minute deal through Neilson to the Coralia Beach Club and I was initially a bit worried as it was only a 4* and Neilson rated it 3* but had to write this review to say how super the place was. We had a deluxe room with a sea view and what a beautiful view it was too, lovely gardens, fab beach. The Neilson reps were great ,everything explained really well. the food was quite average,so understand the star rating but our room was immaculate with lovely towel decorations and fresh flower petals arranged on the bed for you each day, the staff very friendly, Italian restaurant was nice for lunch. I asked for a bottle of Champagne for my partners birthday which we were taking on Franco's boat that we hired for our own use for the day and they carried it to the beach for us in an ice bucket and it was only £18!! (For Moet too!!) Had we known how much the vodka and tonics were, we would have drank champagne every day it was so cheap!!
Masbat is a lovely little town to go into at night, just a short £2 taxi ride away, lots of restaurants that are very reasonable indeed.
Really recommend it for a chilling relaxing holiday, don't go for the entertainment though!!"

• Travel date: Mon 29th of October 2007

Cleaner than my own house!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We only stayed here for two nights, but I would have loved to stay here a bit longer. Coralia Club is situated a few kilometres from the city centre of Dahab, next to the Hilton resort. The hotel offers taxi buses to the city centre, but this costs you LE50 (for one bus, up to 11 people), which is quite expensive for Egyptian standards, unless you're with many people.
We had a four star room (please note that this hotel has different room types, varying from two to four stars.) The see view from our balcony was beautiful. The rooms are nice, very modern, and with a Northern African feel to it. It had a safe and fridge, and an excellent airconditioner. The first day our room was cleaned, the bed linen was changed. What a service!
The breakfast and dinner was a buffet. Many, MANY different choises: it offered everything you could think of. Staff was quick, friendly and very efficient."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of September 2007

Hotels near Ibis Styles Dahab Lagoon Hotel

Stayed at Ibis Styles Dahab Lagoon Hotel? Share your insight.

Ibis Styles Dahab Lagoon Hotel is also called