Dive Urge

El Melal Street South Sinai, Dahab Egypt

Good

Amazing place to stay and dive

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"Dive Urge was a great place to go with teenagers. The whole family did their PADI open water course. Our dive instructor was brilliant. The diving is no more than 4 in a group so you get a lot of attention and feel really safe. The food is great and freshly cooked to order. All the staff are very friendly and helpful - nothing is too much trouble for any one. The holiday is taylor made to your needs. I felt throughly relaxed and spoilt. it is an oasis of calm, which is just what you need after a days diving."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of November 2008

Better than Sharm

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Great place to dive. Very informal but small group with safety a big concern. Enviromentally friendly as possible in Egypt. This place was very clean although Dahab is one of the most unclean towns I have been to in Egypt. Food was great and a good place to eat (value for money) vs downtown. I liked the diving better than Sharm due to the fact that you had a very small group and not a line of 14 divers. The camel safari was a lot of fun and there are more fish!

I will come again if I can.

Dive -Urge is NOT one of those Sharm resorts but a friendly place to relax that provides exceptional value with a smile."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of November 2008

Wow - great time, great place, great diving, great people, great fun

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Wow - we will definitely be back!!

For years (at least since my wife and I had kids) we have been searching for a place to go that was laid back and fun to be at, would be able to look after the kids (still just too young to dive with us) whilst they still saw the real side of where we had gone (I am not interested in dumping them in the "Big Hotel Kids club" so that they could be anywhere in the world) and would enable us to scuba dive at the same time - we have found this ideal for skiing but had not been able to find the same for diving ... until now.

Dive Urge in Dahab Egypt is the spot!! We went this half term (October 2008) and already want to return.

The location is a short (10-15 minutes) walk from the Lighthouse in Dahab with the famous "Eel Garden" dive site literally on the door step (it is a bizarre feeling to kit up - walk past your hotel room - over the beach and the short shallow bit of sea - and onto the dive site). The accommodation is simple, clean and perfect for what we needed (we stayed in the family suite just off the beach) and the general areas were perfect and very laid back - lying flat in a Bedouin recovery area seems a great way to "off-gas".

The staff were amazing with nothing being too much bother and always plenty of them around to help load the trucks, help you into the jeeps to head off to a dive or cater to your refreshment requirements. The chef was great and after ordering off the menu the first night we dispensed with this and negotiated the meals each morning based on what he was able to purchase in the markets that day - be adventurous and enjoy the Egyptian food (the breakfast is delicious). We were also offered the chance to dine in the mountains one night (with the kids as always) which was truly magical from the arrival into a candle lit canyon, the barbeque Bedouin Style to the party games before bundling back into the jeeps to head back.

The diving in Dahab didn't disappoint either and the guides and instructors from Dive Urge were first class - especially Jon "Go Deep No Sheep" - I am already planning my return and possible TriMix training based from Dive Urge next year and as soon as the kids are old enough they can learn to dive!
All in all this was an amazing holiday for all the family which I am loathe to recommend as it might make it harder for us to book next time - book and go you won't regret it."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of November 2008

Perfect Chill Out

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"Stayed 4 nights at Dive Urge and absolutely loved it. The property is right on the beach and is very clean and well maintained. Dive equipment is very good with all the usual facilities needed for a safe and relaxed diving break.

Dived with all three of the really excellent instructors (Oli, John and Tony)- very friendly but totally safety conscious. Made all divers do a skills review before first dive, which is how it should be everywhere but rarely is.

Staff always have a smile and whatever you need, you just have to ask. Bakar's pancakes and the asir manga (fresh mango juice) are top notch - looked forward to breakfast every day!

If you are there for a few days try and get down to the southern oasis - a lovely day out and Golden Blocks was our favourite dive of the trip.

Blue Hole/Canyon obligatory in Dahab but be warned they are extremely crowded. 65 Dutch divers in one group anyone?

With Dive Urge you will have no more than 4 divers per instructor.

Can't wait to go back. To all at Dive Urge - thanks for a lovely break.

Pash & Sheils"

• Travel date: Wed 29th of October 2008

Like staying with friends

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Being quite new to diving and still quite novice, we wanted to stay somewhere that would help us build on our skills and confidence and also take us through our PADI AOW certification. We had several requirements for our holiday. A place that was environmenatally aware, a place that would see us as individuals and somewhere cost effective. Dive Urge fit the bill on all these requirements and so much more!

We arrived quite late and were met at Sharm airport. It took about an hour to drive to Dahab. On arrival we were met by Mahmoud who showed us around the club, our room and cooked us dinner even though the kitchen was closed.

A personal letter was in our room inviting us to meet our instructor (Oli) the next morning, which we did. After paperwork and getting gear together, we went on a few 'refresher dives', just the two of us and our instructor. After our dives, he spent time discussing our skills, what we need to work on and what we had seen during our dives. He actually spent time with us, no rushing off to get his next group. What a refreshing change!

We took our AOW course with two other students and as Dive Urge promise they stuck to their 4:1 ratio group size, which if you looked at other groups in the water, we were really spoilt!

Weather is a factor in Dahab, it is WINDY. Which is great for keeping you cool but of course this can impact the dive sites you can go to. Therefore you have to be flexible to changing plans. We discussed our next dives with the staff and were consulted all along the way if there were to be any changes. They always tried to accommodate our requests.

Dahab is really geared up for divers with special 'nursery' areas for new divers to learn their skill and other underwater 'features' for those doing their AOW too.

We saw some great stuff on our dives: sea horses, octopus, lion fish, garden eels, snake eel, morays, nudi brancs, anemone fish, scorpion fish, clouds of anthias, blue green cromis.....wonderful!

Transport to dive sites is, how can I put it, 'characterful'. Great jeeps and pickups take you to the dive sites. We felt safe at all times.

Dive Urge employ local Bedouins and local people at the club, they are very responsible towards the reef and the environment. it is located right at the end of the main 'path' that runs all through the town, which makes the club lovely and quiet and relaxing, but close enough to potter into town for the shops, restaurants etc.

Rooms are only cleaned on request. The rooms are fairly basic and rustic, but have air con, tea & coffee. The bed is super comfy!

The food is good. Bakar the chef cooks mean pancakes and a fabulous roast dinner. We nearly all our meals outside on the beach watching the sea. You get used to the wind (TIP dont try and have soup on a windy day outside! it blew right off my spoon!)

The service was ALWAYS with a smile, really nothing was too much trouble.

We had a lovely private mountain dinner that was organised for a birthday treat. Great food, great night sky even a great cake and singing! It was a birthday to remember, looking at the milky way.

Maybe Dive Urge is a little more expensive that other clubs in Dahab, but frankly for the service you get, small dive groups and the one-to-one attention it is well worth it!

Maybe our trip can be summed up when we left, hugs and handshakes all round and I had a little cry I was so sorry to be leaving."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of October 2008

A little bit of heaven

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Dive Urge Assalah Dahab Egypt July/ Aug 2008

If you want to dive the Red Sea forget Sharm el Sheik. Dahab may not have as many dive sites but the variety is enormous with canyons, caves, walls, pinnacles, labyrinths, seagrass, sands and corals together with massive amounts of aquatic life. Dive the same site at different times or on different days and the dive is completely new and special.

Where should you go when you get there? Try Dive Urge (http://www.dive-urge.com/)
Nothing is too much trouble. Eat, sleep and dive at your pace and to your timetable.
Whilst the accommodation at Dive Urge is not 5 star the ambience is. The rooms are more than sufficient for any visitors needs (it even has wheelchair access). With accommodation for a maximum of 12 guests the atmosphere is intimate and the result is a relaxing holiday.
With a 4/1 divers/guide ratio you will never feel that you are just one of a huge group. The care shown to you is also shown to your equipment and Said the gas man will make sure that your air is perfect too.
You can undoubtedly find cheaper accommodation.
You can undoubtedly find cheaper diving,
Where will we be going next time we go to Dahab? Dive Urge because the moment you arrive you are treated like a friend and there can be no higher compliment"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of August 2008

Fantastic place!

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Dive Urge is a great place to stay - we would definitely reccomend! Dive groups are kept to 4 max. but they'll take you out by ourself if you need a refresher and are very patient. Roxy is a star - but so is everyone really. Rooms are basic but nice and clean, and still more than you actually need. It's situated at the end of a long beach front path which leads into town and so it's nice and peaceful - none of the hassle - but it only takes 5 - 10 minutes along the path if you want to go shopping or just see the bars etc along the bay. We were there as a family but I would have been quite happy staying there as a single female as well. The food is simple but great - and nothing is too much trouble. Definitly reccomend the Dive Urge pancakes! And the mountain dinner. Ooops - nearly forgot that the beach is right outside your room and the great house reef that's just a few kicks of a fin away. Can't wait to go back.............."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of May 2008

Brilliant Holiday!

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"I was very nervous about this holiday as it was my first holiday on my
own and I would be attempting to get my PADI Open Water despite being rather scared of deep sea...... I need'nt have worried at all. Dive Urge was welcoming and friendly without being overbearing and provided
everything I needed for the whole holiday regardless of how daft it may have seemed ! The food is always freshly prepared and of a good standard. Snacks and meals are available all of which can be adapted on request along with a range of drinks, none of them being alcoholic so for those who want to drink, its bring your own! Booze and diving does not mix well so it was not an issue for me. My dive group was limited to the promised 4 people and our instructor was the picture of patience. No matter how awful we were in the water, she was always there to sort it out with good grace. If you are nervous at all about diving, this approach is much needed as some of the skills required can be a bit nerve wracking for the more nervous amongst us and being pushed to do them is not going to help! I completed the course successfully and a dive was arranged for the next day at short notice by Dive Urge with transport and gear all available with no issues. On the 6th day of my holiday I was swimming through schools of exotic fish at 50ft, something I could not have imagined 5 days earlier! My chalet was lovely and spacious and was also cleaned on request which is a nice touch. Located on the beach but securely locked up at night,
this is an accessible as well as reassuring accommodation for lone female travellers. Dahab itself is much nicer than Sharm and there are
plenty of places to eat really well and cheaply in a warm and welcoming environment. I would not hesitate to recommend this dive centre and B&B to anyone and hope to return early in 2008."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of January 2008

Book here!! It's the best for a chilled out holiday

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"I have actually stayed here a few times, am going back again next May. If you are looking for a holiday where you are given care, attention, great food, advise on where to go with the offer of having it organised for you, amazing views on your door step, snorkelling or diving within a few paces of your accommodation and the most lovely family who own it then you must go to Dive urge!!
It is a place that will draw you back time and time again. See the real Eygpt and book now!!"

• Travel date: Thu 8th of November 2007

Hotels near Dive Urge

Stayed at Dive Urge? Share your insight.