Coral Coast Hotel

Eel Garden, Dahab 4600 Egypt

Good

So relaxing you're almost horizontal.

Good

"My boyfriend and I haven't long been back from our trip and missing it already. Coral Coast is a comfortable, relaxing and friendly hotel, which is situated far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the main drag. Everything is within walking distance. It has its own private beach, which is well maintained and you are guaranteed a sunbed. We upgraded to a Superior Room, which in fairness is not a dramatic difference to the standard rooms, but the bed proved to be more comfortable and the fridge was very welcomed as was the sea view.

The hotel staff are very hard working, and a real credit. They are constantly cleaning! Loved the little touch with the cleaning of rooms - There was a different towel creation left everyday on the beds, just when you thought everything that could be done with a towel had been done, there would be another!

The El Dorado Restaurant offers very nice Italian cuisine, as does the Pestatori (sp)?, these are very near to the hotel; the prices are higher than you will find in most of the restaurants, but they are intimate and away from the hassle. (When you pass the Lighthouse, be prepared to be hassled....."come into my restaurant, come into my shop" becomes very tiresome, especially nearing the end of two weeks). Shark restaurant lived up to its name! We were new to the resort and certainly paid over the top for our meal. Be careful of random figures being punched into a calculator when you are presented with your invisible bill. We ate in a place called Funny Mummy’s, although the restaurant seems to prove popular with diners, we felt the food was merely average. Ali Baba's is a fun place to dine, the Red Snapper (catch of the day) was delicious. The hidden gem is definitely the Thai Restaurant - The Blue House? or similar (opposite the Chinese Restaurant), a small establishment with only a handful of tables, be prepared to wait for a table as it's growing in popularity with more people discovering it. If you are craving a proper coffee, rather than bland Nescafe there's a nice little cafe just over the bridge which offers a good selection of hot drinks and a nice breakfast to boot.

One word of advice, we were careful with our choice of food and where we ate, drank lots of bottled water, rehydration sachets and avoided ice, but suffered badly with upset stomachs and still are 2 weeks' later. Pack plenty of Immodium!!

Dahab is a wonderful laid back resort and totally geared towards Divers or those just wanting to do very little. We chose Dahab because we wanted to do our Open Water Course; the hotel offers packages for such as they have their own dive centre on site. We had a few problems with the course, but Chriss (one of the hotel owners) was very accommodating when I explained the issues and she immediately assigned us with a new instructor (Naida) who was very patient and a good instructor, my only disappointment was that I didn't complete the course, my boyfriend however left Dahab with his qualification! If Diving isn't your thing, I would recommend snorkeling, the sea is stocked full of plenty of fish, beautiful colours and coral to see. We even saw a Turtle whilst snorkeling just off the Reef. Just be careful getting in and out of the sea, it can be treacherous and the rocks are very sharp.

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Coral Coast and Dahab, we'll certainly be returning."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of September 2008

Chilled out Dahab.....

Good

"Being a single female traveller I was a little nervous about travelling to Egypt but this was soon forgotten when I got to Dahab. It was very very chilled out and guaranteed great weather.

I would recommend tho if you are single and female, if you are asked tell them your married or engaged and wear a ring, I did find on occassions that some were a little 'letchy' even tho I did tell them I had a boyfriend back home.

The hotel is situated 5/10min walk from the main bay which is great as you can choose whether to chill or venture out for the day/night. Its very clean, rooms are spacious, bathrooms do need modernisation tho and my room had a little bit of sewer smells in the bathroom, but at £22 per night not sure if I could have expected better.

The only thing I would highly recommend is to pay your drink/food bills before they mount up and get reciepts. Everyone, including myself had problems with our bills and were asked to pay for bills already paid, I had 3 'run ins' with the restaurant manager who hounded me for a bill that I had paid - this was the only negative thing I have to say about the hotel.

On a brighter note - you'll have some surprises in your room in the form of towel Macrame, really interesting animals!!! By the way the maids earn a pittance so do be generous in tipping at the end of your stay (of course this is optional).

The food is good, in the Bay there great Thai restaurant opposite the chinese restuarant which is also good. Funny Mummys's is also great, this is past the bay on the way to the Hilton. I ate meat/fish/salads/ice in drinks and didnt have any tummy trouble, didnt use tap water for anything other than washing/showering.

Finally, take cash with you and change your money there, the hotel/dive shops give you a much better rate than the UK."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008

Little Gem

Good

"What a little gem this place is. After extensive research on a hotel to stay in in Dahab to include an Open Water Course, this one kept coming up as reasonably priced.

The people at Coral Coast Hotel are great. The dive school, Fantasea Divers, is attached to the hotel, so no need to walk around in the morning to grab all your gear.

The room itself is VERY basic. NO TV!!! I thought I would die! But, the people at the hotel and the dive centre are so friendly, we spent our evenings drinking and eating with the staff and instructors. There is even a resident dog and cat that come and sit with you to keep you company.

The food in the restaurant is very good and reasonably priced. And bets of all, no body hastles you! It is about a 5 min walk to the main strip in Dahab, but that never really bothered us. There is a god pub, The Furry Cup, just around the corner that serves international spirits at good prices.

All in all, a good little holiday. Would definately recommend and go back again."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of January 2008

Perfect Relaxation

"Am surprised that this hotel is not more highly rated. Stayed here in March of '07 and loved it! Staff is friendly, but not intrusive. No one bothers you to join tours and the hotel is very clean and right on the water, with amazing views (you can see Saudi Arabia on a clear day) and a really good restaurant. I'm still thinking about that chicken in orange sauce! I highly recommend it and will definitely stay here my next time in Dahab. It's a bit out of town, but that's what I wanted, and a taxi can have you in town in a jiff. I spent many a quiet day sunning, snorkeling, or reading in the hammocks. No pool, but who needs on when you're a stone's throw from the ocean and some of the most amazing marine life in Dahab?

Gave it four stars for now, which will go to five when the hotel adds TVs and small refrigerators to the rooms. I didn' t miss either, but adding them can only be an improvement. They expect this to happen in the near future."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of May 2007

Pleasant hotel right by the sea

Good

"We (a family of five) spent a pleasant couple of days at the Coral Coast. The rooms were basic but clean and comfortable and fortunately we had two rooms next to each other with good sea views and within easy reach of the hotel's hammocks. Management and staff were friendly particulary in the restaurant where the food was of a good quality. We loved the breakfasts which included some lovely pastries. The atmosphere in the restaurant was relaxed and the clientele didn't seem the type of people who would be bothered by lively children!
The hotel is associated with Embah Travel, a local agency that specialises in desert safaris. We were given absolutely brilliant service there and had a tailor-made safari which was an experience that all of us will not forget. Everything they organised for us ran smoothly and on time and our children's needs were very well catered for. We paid a very reasonable sum that also included hotels and minibus journeys."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of April 2007

Awesome and Friendly!

"We went to Dahab in early April, and we loved it! The service was very prompt and friendly. The views are spectacular, the big hut by the beach was nice to sit in and read a book while enjoying the scenery. The rooms are very plain, but very clean. I didn't spend much time in my room so I didn't care. The sea water is very clear and lots of sea-life can be seen just by walking out during low tide or snorkeling. The towel sculptures were cute. The hotel and dive staff were very nice and very willing to discuss diving/snorkeling with anyone, anytime - even if you knew nothing about either.

The breakfasts were really good - especially the omelettes that were made while you wait (Oh yeah and the pancakes with chocolate sauce were very tasty!). For a change of pace for dinner, try the Moroccan restaurant next door, and the restaurants in Dahab itself (not a slam on the Coral Coast food, you just might want to try other places.)

Overall the only bad thing I can say about the Coral Coast is the fact that you have to leave. I really didn't want to go back home."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of April 2007

Nice value place to stay

Good

"We stayed in the Coral Coast hotel as part of our Traveltalk tour through Egypt. It was a great little hotel in the very nice, chilled-out resort town of Dahab. The rooms were probably more basic than what we had on other parts of the tour through Egypt (e.g. no television and an airconditioning unit that didn't seem to function) but you don't really need TV when you have the coral reef at your doorstep. Plus, they did try to come around and fix our air-conditioning unit as soon as we mentioned it was not working properly. The other review mentions the splatter shower - yes that is true but it's very much the same as what we had all through Italy. At least this hotel provides you with a squeegy-broom so you can mop up the floor well after your shower. The shower water is quite saline - I think this might be a symptom of Dahab and not the hotel itself... just expect this when you wash your hair and have a slight salt-water feel to it! The manager was friendly and helpful and like the earlier reviewer, I loved the bizarre towel/blanket creations made each day by the cleaning staff. Very cute! I would definitely stay here again - I am not sure what the price was because it was part of our tour but I assume it would be good value."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of December 2006

Coral Coast in Dahab: excellent

"We use the Coral Coast regularly for our yoga holidays in Dahab. The staff are friendly and efficient, it's reasonably priced and with a great location next to the sea. Watch out for the towel sculptures: each day the cleaners make a different creation from the fresh towelling! The dive centre is also good and can get anything you want organised.
Will, Yoga Travel"

• Travel date: Sat 11th of November 2006

Winter wind and sun...

Good

"The wife and I spent a lovely week at this hotel and found the staff very friendly and helpful especially Miso at the front desk and Achmed at the attached Fantasea dive shop who gave us great advice and never tried to upsell us and always had time for a chat about conditions even though we were both *merely* snorkellers. Great view, quiet compound, easy walking distance from some fine snorkelling sites and restaurants-- overall a very uncomplicated holiday. Only downside was the shower which seemed purpose built to splatter the entire washroom with water and that the hotel could use a better wind screen on it's beach-- weather in February was quite windy. Embah Safaris also provided us with a wonderful camel-riding snorkel trek to Ras Abu Gallum, though our camel guide seemed hungover and lunch was our worst meal of the trip, presumably out of a tin. Still, on the whole, our trip was well worth it and decently priced. Dahab is currently in the middle of rampant building boom, new resort and hotel complexes are being constructed all along this quiet, barren stretch of coast and though we visited in the off-season, it didn't seem to us as though the area has, or will have, enough tourists to support both Sharm and the Sharm-like resort Dahab seems to be aspiring to be. Beware the clatter of construction and the promises of progress."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of February 2006

Perfect Holiday

"We stayed at the Coral Coast for a week in summer 2004 and had a wonderful, uncomplicated and relaxing time. The room was clean, peaceful with a beautiful view across the sea (as have all the rooms). Staff were always polite and helpful. We went snorkelling every day at the fantastic reef which is only a few metres from the beach. it's so easy. I've been to Egypt a few times before and this was one of the most pleasant experiences.
I would stay here again. Definitely recommended."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of March 2005

Hotels near Coral Coast Hotel

Stayed at Coral Coast Hotel? Share your insight.

Coral Coast Hotel is also called