Blue Beach Club

El Melal Street P.O. Box 45, Dahab Egypt

Good

VERY disappointed - left for another hotel

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"Me and my boyfriend booked 9 nights but only stayed for 2 because we were so disappointed.

I would urge anyone to be cautious about reviews saying rooms are 4 star standard – the one we stayed in certainly was not. I read all of the reviews, saw there was only one negative one and decided the chances were it would be fine. Unfortunately, it wasn’t.

Our main complaint was the bathroom. It smelled awful because there was a leak from the toilet, leaving a puddle of stagnant water. The shower cubicle had no curtain, so the water went all over the floor and there was nowhere for it to drain. We were not given a mat for the floor so had to step out of the shower onto wet tiles like a sheet of ice. Also, we were not given a hand towel, only an old, threadbare bath towel each.

The other annoyance was the air con which pumped out the an unpleasant smell similar to the bathroom. There was a pipe from the air con unit which fed water out into a bucket on the balcony. We knew in advance we would not have a sea view room, but the view of shops/building site was quite noisy. The door to the balcony was hung so badly that we couldn’t lock it which didn’t feel very secure considering we weren’t that high above the street level.

We complained to reception about the bathroom soon after we arrived and were told “housekeeper comes tomorrow” and that was it. None of the reception staff seemed to care in the slightest. The rooms are only cleaned if you deposit your key by 10.30 in the morning. Even when we did this, all that seemed to be done was the bed made and new towels left. The puddle of smelly water was still in the bathroom and two empty dirty glasses from our welcome drink were not removed.

We spoke to the manager (a German woman) the morning after we arrived and just like the rest of the staff, she couldn’t care less. We asked for a shower curtain and she said “no, we don’t have”. We were shown another room but as it had the same standard of bathroom and twin beds instead of a double, we didn’t feel we would gain anything and decided we’d be happier changing hotels. Her reaction to this was “it’s no problem”. Err, it should be a problem if your guests are leaving because they hate your hotel!

When we checked out we had problems getting our money back. They kept telling us “come back later”. Then they refused to do a refund on my credit card so we were given cash. Confusingly, they work out the rates in Euros then do the actual transactions in Egyptian pounds and it was difficult to work out if they’d actually given us what they owed us.

The bedroom itself (a standard not a superior one) was OK. It was a decent size, with newish black and white tiled floor, big comfortable bed and Arabian style wooden furniture. But there are no real facilities provided in the room – no phone, TV, hairdryer, toiletries. I’m not saying I need those things but if you turn up expecting them you’ll be disappointed.

The hotel has a decent pub, the Furry Cup, and the pool is quite nice. Breakfast is adequate – it caters more for the German taste with salads, meats, hard boiled eggs etc so if you’re not keen on that in the morning it’s cereal and toast for you.

Overall, I would urge anyone to be cautious about the Blue Beach. We suspected the superior rooms might have been a lot better than the standard, but there were none available so we couldn't see for ourselves. We were extremely disappointed and wasted a day and a half of our holiday looking for a new hotel, trying to get our money back and moving.

In the end, we went to the Christina Beach Palace, which turned out to be a great decision because it’s a great hotel which has standards and staff who care."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of November 2008

Stay here you wont regre it

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"This is really the only choice if you want to stay in a hotel in the real part of Dahab - as opposed to the rarified and sterile 5 star hotel strip.

The rooms are charming and well maintained, the rooms are 4 star quality.

Good pool, good food, best bar in Dahab on the premises serving European beer.

1st class staff

Some of the rooms have free wifi and there is always free wifi at the bar.

I would stay here over the the five star hotels outside Dahab any day. It also helps that is is 75% cheaper.

If you stay in the other places you will need to take horrible taxis around and have to haggle with swarthy drivers all day to see anything."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of September 2008

Wonderful place, Wonderful people. We will be back.

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We booked the Blue Beach through Julia at Dahab.net. We didn't really know where to stay so emailed her our requirements and she promptly emailed back a selection of hotels with descriptions. It was really easy to book the hotel with her.

The hotel can arrange your transfers at a reasonable price. This is a private taxi transfer which means that as soon as you collect your luggage the driver is waiting out side the terminal for you. No waiting around for other passengers.

As soon as we arrived at the hotel we knew that we had made the right choice. We were welcomed by a very friendly and helpful chap on reception who took the time to explain the hotel and it's amenities before showing us to our room.

We chose the Blue Beach Club because quite small, is right on the beach and is a short stroll in to town, but just far enough away to be really peaceful.

It has it's own restaurant and bar. The food in the restaurant is very good and the people that run it are so friendly and accommodating. The bar is very reasonably priced and very popular as there aren't that many bars that sell alcohol. Saying that it was never packed and the people are all friendly.

There are also plenty of restaurants and cafe's along the promenade to choose from.

The on site dive centre is second to none. We had such a wonderful time with them. My Husband dives and I snorkel. I never once felt left out. The diving here is amazing. I think diving with a good club makes all the difference. The owner knows these sights like the back of his hand and is obviously very passionate about what he does.The dive instructor and the rest of the team are fantastic. Safety is of top priority. There are plenty of dive clubs along the promanade but they just didn't compare.

You can also have swedish or hot stone massage at this hotel which was so relaxing. and again very reasonably priced. Antonia is very professional and qualified and gives the most relaxing massage. ( I had quite a few!! )

This hotel also offers Yoga and hose riding lessons.

They have their own stables. The horses are well looked after and obviously happy. The instructor has been riding for years. She's really friendly and luckily very patient!!

Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at this hotel.

The rooms are clean and well looked after. The doors don't feel very secure but the hotel has security guards so we never felt unsafe.

This hotel is not the kind of place to stay if you are looking for the all inclusive/ sandy beach type of holiday.

The beaches are more gravel than sand and also quite rocky, and they can also be a bit dirty.

Dahab does have a couple of large complex type hotels but they are quite far out of town. If you are looking for this type of holiday I would say Dahab isn't for you. It's more for the independant laid back traveller.

We will definitely be back.

Thank you to everybody that made our holiday so memorable."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of July 2008

A 'must go back soon' place

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"The quiet hotel is excellent, provided you want a clean large room, working plumbing, helpful staff, a first rate dive centre, a good eating place, freshwater clean pool and friendly bar. Almost forgot to mention massage, horse riding, yoga and arabic classes. There is though no pressure on you. Whether you sit around every day to take part in the dawn till late activities is entirely open to you. This is a very relaxed (and relaxing) place to be.

If you want to have a 'european' standard hotel. Do not go to Dahab at all. You can't drink the water. There is a bin in the loo for paper. The room doors do not offer high security. The surrounding streets have goats, camels and rubbish. The beaches are gravelly. If all of this bothers you, go to a sanitised all inclusive elsewhere and leave Dahab to those of us who appreciate everything this wonderful hotel & destination have to offer.

The Blue Beach is within easy walking of the town centre and two excellent dive/snorkel sites. Eel Garden and Lighthouse. You can given time & suitable equipment snorkel all the way from one site to the other. Plan for around 90 minutes in the water.

We will be back."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of June 2008

Great hotel and wonderful staff

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Returned yesterday from a fantastic week long yoga holiday at the Blue Beach booked through Free Spirit. I was nervous after reading the December review from Eamonn but am so glad I went ahead and booked the holiday.

The hotel was clean and I was pleased to find that the superior room we stayed in contained a fridge as well. The bed was very comfy and the room nice and quiet. The staff were all exceptionally friendly and helpful and there were no grumbles from them when we were still eating breakfast at 11:30 after our morning yoga session had overrun. The breakfasts were good with plenty to eat and a good variety.

The hotel trips and other activities on offer complimented the yoga very well. We went on an overnight desert trip which was excellent, had a short Arabic lesson which was good fun and really useful and also had a great massage from Antonia.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Dahab."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of March 2008

The worst hotel I have ever stayed in

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"This place is dire - traveller beware! There's too much wrong to list it all here. Suffice to say the service is so bad the hotel would run better without the staff as they just get in the way. The rooms are not cleaned unless you tell them repeatedly you want this to be done. The staff don't always turn up to serve breakfast and when they do they sit there, smoking and staring at you. The rooms are awful. The shower in ours ran at various uncontrollable temperatures and pressures. As there was no shower curtain water got everywhere. The floor is set wrong so the water just gathered around the base of the loo rather than draining away. I could go on but I think you get the gist...A three star hotel? Only in my nightmares.."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of December 2007

Chilled out

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"I spent a week here on a yoga holiday. We had yoga in the morning and evening and then were free to do other activities. Dahab is a lovely place but not for families with young children. The main activities are diving, horse riding and other water sports. It is very windy making this ideal for some activities and not others.

The Blue Beach is a wonderful hotel on the corniche with basic but lovely rooms with good beds and nice bathrooms. The staff are fantastic and we were very well looked after. There were a number of activities on offer apart from the yoga I had come for and there is a resident masseuse who is fabulous! There is also a dive centre and horse riding facilities as well as a bar and restaurant. The food is good and main menu Italian in style and having lived in Italy I would say very good! There is also a small outdoor pool which is very cold although we did go in December so it might be a bit warmer at other times of year.

It is worth paying just a little extra and getting a superior room as I did. The only thing I could hear at night were the sounds of the waves but some people at the front did complain of revellers. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel if you are looking for something clean and fairly basic with great value for money. However, if you are a 5 star diva this is probably not the place for you."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of December 2007

Ambience, Relaxation, Adventure and Beauty all at the Blue Beach Club

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"Dahab is a must-see retreat after all the history, excitement and chaos of cairo, and the Blue Beach club is the place you should stay. It is about 7 minutes walking distance from the main drag, just enough to give you some peace and quiet, but fine for a stumble home after a wild night at Tota, the boat-shaped nightclub. has its own sandy beach and gorgeous beachside pool for sunning yourself. the restauraunt serves excellent breakfast (omlettes! yum!) with huge variety and the bar is very good. The dive centre is a little expensive comparitivley, go aroudn the corner to the left, snorkle rental is under $10 euros.( and eat at the Morroccan food place)
The rooms are BEAUTIFUL, i felt liek a was staying in a spa! the bathroom fixtueres are stylish and modern and the beds very comfy. It has a very unique and relaxing feel to it, with lovely ornate beaded lamps and gorgeous red wallcolor. the staff are very kind and delivered me personal phone messages and could answer any questions. For booking safaris to the colored canyon, red canyon, mt sinai and the blue hole, go to King Safari. my boyfriend and i booked all 3 safaris for under $150 cdn! an awesome deal! Dahab is so chill, you just ahev to get over the restaraunt owners trying to push you in for dinner. we were there for 4 days so we just kept chatting to them and eventually they calmed down. liek everywhere in egypt, you just need patience, and just go with the flow.
i would reccommed the Blue Beach Club a million times over because it is the same price as the penguin for double rooms but has WAY more romance, ambiance and class. Stay there! you'll loooooove it!"

• Travel date: Thu 18th of October 2007

Fantastic place and people

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"One of the best holidays I have had.
The hotel is great and the people even better.
Special thanks to Ahmed who was so very helpfull!
I can recommend this place to anyone who likes hot weather, to experience a different culture and/or diving!!

I will definately go again.

Cora"

• Travel date: Thu 26th of July 2007

great place for diving and chilling out

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"We had a great time in Dahab. My sister and I went to Dahab to do the Open Water Diver course. We stayed in Hotel Blue Beach Club -- a lovely small hotel in a quiet part of Dahab but still very close to the 'centre' (5 mins walk). It has a nice pool area and a breach bar with a great view over the red sea -- what else do you need?! We went diving with Poseidon; another good choice: very professional, friendly staff and with good facilities. Dahab is not too crowded, relatively small and all about diving. Overall a place to go back to!

Tommy"

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of July 2007

Hotels near Blue Beach Club

Stayed at Blue Beach Club? Share your insight.

Blue Beach Club is also called