The Nile Ritz-Carlton, Cairo

1113 Corniche El Nil, Cairo 12344 Egypt

Good

Love the proximity to the museum

Good

"We booked into the Hilton not because its grand, but because I wanted to walk to the museum every day on my own without any hassles. I was not disappointed. The building is old but in good condition and the pool area with bungalows is very nice with lots of green trees and the service is excellent. We ate all our meals in the Hotel, the Tapas Bar on the roof had excellent views and the food was very good. The Bistro also on the roof is very good 5 star but be warned its very expensive for Egypt. There is also a small casino which we visited and had a bit of fun. The hotel complex has a few shops and overall you dont need to leave the building unless you have a death wish by trying to cross the 6 lanes of traffic. We had to get the assistance of security to stop the traffice both ways so we could get to the Nile and have a lovely walk along the boulevard. I would recommend this hotel if you dont want any glitz and are a really serious tourist."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of October 2007

Great Location

Good

"Excellent location for the Egyptian Museum - get in there early before the queues. Hotel very friendly and standard of food very good but service can be a little slow.

Nice pool and bar to chill after a hectic day trying to cross the road!! Recommend the fresh lemon juice."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of October 2007

Good location

Good

"As the other reviews mentioned, the hotel is a bit date and tired looking in terms of its overall look. The carpets on our floor could have used a bit of a wash or even a replacement. The room was larger than I expected as was the washroom. When you walked pass our washroom you could smell a waft of something (sewage?) but it could not be smelt in the whole bedroom...thank goodness! We had a corner room and our balcony was huge, about 15ft long?! And we got both a city and the view of the Nile which was nice. The Egyptian Museum is literally across the street and you could see it from our balcony.

Food: We ate at the restaurant at the top of the hotel and had drinks at the roof eatery - el Mojito. The restaurant was quite expensive by Egyptian standards but competitive with a really nice North American dinner. The food was delicious. Reservations are required. El Mojito offers a nice view of the Nile and the food was not overly priced.

Pool: We did not have a chance to use the pool but it is a decent size, it could be considered small as the hotel has these Garden Homes they rent out and these homes are right by the pool so these residents get first dibs on the chairs. There weren't that many chairs when we went to take a look at the pool and most of them were taken.

Internet: quite expensive, about 40EGP/hr. Go the mall next to the hotel to use the internet if required. It is in the lower level. We only needed it for 5 mins.

All in all, it was a nice stay at this hotel. Comfortable with nice views."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of October 2007

Great Location. Really Good Hotel.

"We stayed here for three nights in October, 2007. We've read some not so good reviews on tripadvisor so we were worried. However, the hotel is excellent. The location right next door to the Egypt Museum on the Nile simply cannot be matched in Cairo. The hotel is older, but the service and food is excellent and the rooms are fully equipped including internet and satellite tv as well as a large balcony.

We upgraded our room to Executive Floor with view of the Nile for only $50 more and this was very worth it. The view is simply unforgettable and on top of it, you get to use the executive lounge. Overall, I have nothing but good to say about this hotel, and again, given its unbelievably good location, this would be my choice again if I ever came back to Cairo."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of October 2007

very nice

Good

"We stayed at the Nile Hilton July 3-5 then again on July 9th after our Nile Cruise. I thnk everyone was so nice and helpful they even told us welcome home and had fruit in our room when we came back. The room was very clean and large and the Nile view was amazing. The portable bed we had for our daughter was the most comfortable portable bed I have ever seen. The restraunt was a bit pricey but worth it to feel safe about the food. The french onion soup was the best in the world. I had it 3 times. The pool was nice and private with pool boys at your service. The only complaint we had was the noise from the river at night. We did suggest to them they get more sound proof windows and slidinng doors. Oh yea take your own hair conditioner because they only have shampoo. P.J, Ga. U.S.A."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of July 2007

creepy!!!!

"This hotel needs a HUGE & URGENT refurbish to run properly... the rooms were amazinly large, but everything was falling apart... the lamps and phone were broken, the carpet was very dirty and the hot tube... with no conditions to use... resuming... this is NOT a Hilton Hotel, I´m sorry!!!!
The nice points: the roof view is beautiful, the location is good (walking distance of some attractions as the museum, the floating restaurants on the nile and the cairo tower)...
My advise? Spend more days on Luxor, the place is much better than Caotic (Dusty) Cairo..."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of July 2007

dissapointing

"Stayed here in June for 5 Days with my girl friend. On arrival the entrance hall welcomes you with open arms. At the reception we booked in and were told because of the hotel was quiet empty we were upgraded to a better room and free breakfast daily. We were very happy at this. Anyway the room was really a suite – its fair to say it was huge, with a kitchen area and a sitting area and a King Size bed.
The room was dated as was the hotel in general.

Food in the hotel is very expensive compared to Cairo in general. So don’t eat in the hotel and if you can avoid it don’t use the stock in the fridge too as this is very expensive too (10x street price).

All the staff were happy and always there to help if it was needed. The hotel has a lot to offer as a lot of the bigger hotels do. As has been said on previous reviews the trips and car rentals (taxis) form the hotel are over priced. If you want to go to any of the areas of Cairo and the Pyramids I would suggest walk out of the back way from the hotel towards the museum and a taxi driver will tend to be waiting there for custom. Barter with them to wherever you want to go – will save you A LOT of money. We used the trips several times on the first few days and found them to be more of a way to sell you things with the American Express sponsored stores.

On check out after the lovely stay we were told we needed to pay for all the breakfast’s we had even though we were told they were free. Now after pretty much telling them I wasn’t going to pay because we were upgraded free they found the document stating it was free. Took over 30 minutes though. This kind of spoiled the stay there and because of it I wouldn’t stay again.

Also at home I found that £150 had been charged to my Visa card by the hotel on the day of departure. I contacted them (the hotel), and the Hiltons headquarters’ to alert them of this but after over 2 weeks of hearing nothing I had my Credit Card sort it out which they did.

So to conclude, the hotel was a-bit of a let down. I certainly wouldn’t stay here again"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of June 2007

Nice hotel with everything you need

"Stayed in Nile Hilton after reading reviews. Some of them said how this hotel was a bit run down but I found that the rooms were renovated (in the main tower - 9th floor) and in good shape. This hotel had everything we needed and although it was priced at around $115 a night, it was not too expensive and it is very important (in my opinion) to get a very comfortable nice hotel to stay in while in Cairo. One needs some respite and luxury after a long day out in the dirt, noise, pollution and chaos of Cairo.
The buffet breakfast was a little pricy but we took meat and bread and made sandwhiches for our days out, so that made it more worth it. The beds in our room were very comfortable and firm enough. Everything was comfortable in fact. The help there can get a little "frigid" in the demeanor but other than that had no problems with staff. Try to get your water and taxis outside of the hotel area, you will pay half as much. Everything in the hotel or things they set up are jacked up in the prices and I liked Cairo because it was so cheap and you can bargain for almost everything. So try to just use the hotel as a base if you can and arrange your own taxis, tours, etc."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of June 2007

A place to feel special

"My friend and I have just returned from staying at this hotel and I have to say it was a real pleasure. After reading some of the earlier reviews we were a little concerned but we need not have worried. Yes the rooms a little tired but very clean. The bedding is changed every day and room cleaned and hoovered the same. The rooms are large and do have a mini bar which might be best avoided as compared with general prices in the hotel, we found a little excessive. However when we got there late at night, to be able to have a drink of water was great.

We had a back view which was looking at the museum; it took 2 mins to walk to the museum so it is great if you plan to visit more than once especially! Yes it is noisy at times with the constant traffic and the air conditioning units on the roof of the buildings below but once the doors are shut, is not that bad that it would keep you awake, unless of course, you wake up to the slightest noise. We were told it was quieter than the nile view and as the nile view was more expensive, it seemed the better of the two options for us. We were glad we made that choice.

The hotel reception staff were very friendly and helpful and the doormen were very sweet. We know they are helping because they hope to get a tip but if you don't, for whatever reason, they don't change the way the deal with you. We arrived at about 11pm and were helped out very quickly so we could get to bed.

The shops in the hotel are perhaps a little more expensive than going to the market, and we did both but they are lovely people. Go and speak to Peter in the shop on the right before you get to the pool; they do T shirts and some jewellry. Peter is a very bright young man who spends his day going through the english dictionary to better himself and just loves to talk to you and share a cup of egyption tea.....with no strings attached.

The Pool is heated even in the summer so its not such a shock when you get in. But what is just great is when you walk into the pool area, a nice young man waves, beckons you over, finds you a bed and umbrella if you want it, lays your towels and and then checks on you through the day to make sure you are happy. Pool prices for drinks and food are about normal for the rest of the hotel and we did not think they were too bad. There are no charges for hotel guests for beds or service here. You must try their fruity drinks...very nice. The only down side we found was that they do not always have enough umbrellas and up the entrance end of the pool there is a strong drain smell so try and avoid that end!

Security is very tight here so you do feel really safe even though you might think it a pain having to go through the security doors each time. We found it comforting that this was the attitude not just here but all around Cairo.

Food is pentiful and varied in the Ibis Cafe (but it is a restaurant) but if you are lucky enough to be above the 10th floor and can use the exective roof restaurant, you are in for a treat; we went their by mistake our first morning but they kindly let us stay for breakfast for no extra charge. The view is stunning. We can't fault the food thats for sure.

Overall our stay was great at this hotel, made better by the company we booked with (pack2egypt) and bearing in mind you don't spend too much time in your room, the fact it was tired did not seem important with everything else that was good."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of June 2007

good experience

"rooms are spacious. very big, If we had known, we could have shared a room (triple or quad) instead of a double. the buffet was very good, especially the breakfast! and an italian cuisine for a certain day of the week. across the street is a small mall. (the items are limited). Dont buy at the hotels souvernir shop. Its cheaper at the mall, I bought exaclty same item around 10 pounds cheaper at the mall."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of June 2007

This hotel was wonderful and had a great...

"This hotel was wonderful and had a great view on the River Nile. There was a great selection of boat rides on the river Nile, but the best of this holiday was going to see the ancient pyramids.

It really was an experience, after all who gets to see 2000 year old buildings every day.

The hotel was all inclusive and was beautiful inside. The first 5 star hotel I've ever stayed in and certainly won't be my last.

I would recommended this holiday to anyone who enjoys the sun or who is adventurous or maybe someone who just wants to relax and get that tan they've been looking for."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of September 2007

Hotels near The Nile Ritz-Carlton, Cairo

Stayed at The Nile Ritz-Carlton, Cairo? Share your insight.

The Nile Ritz-Carlton, Cairo is also called