The Karvin Hotel

11 Mohamed Ebeid Street, off Nozha Street El Sabaa Emarat Square, Heliopolis, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Good

We enjoyed our stay at the Karvin!

Good

"Just back from Cairo where we stayed 5 nights at the Karvin and was not dissapointed.This is not a center hotel but in Heliopolis a suburb of Cairo.We chose to stay here as my friend lived in this area and knows her way around,plus it offers everything you need.If you want to be near center then I suggest you choose elsewhere.

Basic rooms..very clean with TV,AC fridge and good sized clean bathroom.A fruit basket awaited us in our room upon arrival.Reception polite and helpful as all staff.Good price..we paid only 54 euros for double twin room with breakfast.There are front suits with balconies for I think 100 euros a night.The hotel was quite busy especially with business people.

Breakfast was good..you had choice of cheese,cold cuts,falafel,eggs,sausage,rolls,toast,crossants,doughnuts,dips and sauces,salads,creal,tea or coffee/juice.I found it to be quite filling!Always member of staff there on looking and even owner came round to greet guests etc.

There is an Indian restaurant and Chinese restaurant..lovely roof garden with two big wall V screens.Lovely for a night drink,dinner or tea or shisha!!

Plenty of taxis waiting in front of hotel to get around.Helipolis has a large shopping area.You can find everything there.

I enjoyed my stay here..I am not fussy..I believe that all you need is a clean decent room with polite staff and service which is what we got....I am not concerned with silly petty things like "bed hard"."scratch on bathrooom seat","no view"...these things are all things that we read from time to time.Ridiculous to me..For us it was a most enjoyable stay and lovely area to stay in."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of November 2008

very clean, good service and excellent food

"the hotel staff is very helpfull and friendliy, the room was very clean small but nice. i enjoyed my stay, its not easy to find it as its located at a small hidin street but they can offer to send you a taxi with a small charge. thier indian and chainese food very tastey. the roof garden serve all kind of foods and beverage, shish."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of October 2008

A hotel with very little to recommend it

"There is very little I can say that is good about this place - the staff were friendly...it had a roof... Apart from that, where to begin? It is extremely difficult to find, for starters, down a murky sidestreet. The room was as bad as I've had in a long time. Old rugs on the floor, foam pillows, foam mattress, unusual odour, but the piece de resistance was the toilet seat. I thought it was just surface grubby but after a quick clean, it was clear the "markings" were ingrained. This place is two stars max and there would be far better places to stay if you wanted to be near the airport - like I did - than this. On that note, my taxi to the airport was one of the old battered standard black and white cabs rather than a newer (and more expensive) air-conditioned car. Nothing wrong with that but as I was charged 50 Egyptian pounds for it when the actual journey in such a black and white one should have cost 10, I was not impressed. I had to pay the hotel direct rather than the driver so God knows how little of the 50 he actually got."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of October 2008

Very small hotel for tourists with low budget

"I was booked in this hotel and thought that I should check out the reviews on TripAdvisor. The reviews most of them sounded very positive, and gave me confidence, but in reality I was disaapointed. Read on -

We had asked for a Airport pickup, we got one, just that it was a Regular Black-White taxi. Hotel is in a residential area of Helipolis, surrounded by Apartment buildings.

Reception area was small but OK, receptionist at the desk was also quick to take my details and give the room key.

The elevators were a bit outdated based on current standards, but dependable (didn't get stuck in one). Rooms are small, hardly 10-12 sqmts, there was a strong smell of chlorine/or some other cleaning agent as soon as I entered. Bed was hard and small ( 5ftX6ft). Attached toilet had a washbasin which seemed atleast 15 years old, and a shower cubicle with curtains (Very dirty). The WC had the water flowing, which was very annoying. The hand towel rod was loose and came off, as I removed the towel. There is a Hairdryer but seems a model from the 80s.

Overall - I would not recommend, check out more hotels in Cairo, for the rate they mentioned on Website, $143 you can get much better hotels."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of August 2008

Pretty Good, not great

"Hotel is located in Heliopolis, the suburb around the airport, not in central Cairo. I would not recommend staying at Karvin if you are going to be touring central Cairo for some days. We only stayed b/c we had to catch a flight soon after arriving and did not want to make a long drive to the airport. We arrived at Cairo airport and checked in at 2 a.m. Staff were great and awake, and no problems w/ a late check in. The room was clean w/ a TV and good bathroom and two beds. The only lacking was hot water - we had our own little water heater but water was not that hot, just kind of lukewarm. We had to pay for wireless internet. Surprisingly, this place had lots of restaurants - Indian, Chinese, and at least one other. We ate at the Indian restaurant, Massala which was really good! Not sure how they make their money since there weren't many guests there when we went but the choice/quality was impressive. The other problem was they didn't want to get a taxi for us which was a problem since we then had to lug our suitcases down the street and get one ourselves which was quite an experience for our first time in Egypt. In the end it worked out fine. We paid about $88 for 1 night."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of May 2008

A gem, not too not far from the airport

"The most expensive of all the hotels I stayed at during my 2 1/2 week holiday in Egypt but also the most spotless by far. It's tucked away on a mostly residential street, within walking distance of the Baron's
Palace and other Heliopolis attractions such as the Korba shopping area - although the hotel staff may be surprised if you want to walk rather than get a taxi! They're very helpful though. Tip: ask the hotel for their full address when you book - it will make it much easier for taxis from the airport to find!"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of January 2008

Nice little hotel

"Nice little hotel with a nice indian restaurant; comfortable rooms..quiet place a bit far from the historical centre. Very pleasant staff and cheap wireless internet that works very well."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of May 2007

Nice little hotel

Good

"We stayed at the Karvin for one night before leaving Egypt because it was close to the airport. It is rather secluded and located within
a quiet street in Heliopolis. While the hotel is very basic in terms of facilities, the staff were super-friendly and very courteous from the moment we arrived. Soon after getting to our room, the manager personally came up and asked us if we would like to be upgraded to a one bedroom apartment for no extra cost, and we did. The apartment was spacious, clean and tidy. The buffet breakfast was not that good, and there were no views from the rooftop cafe because the whole floor was surrounded by a big plastic covering. Because of the lack of facilities and its distance from downtown Cairo, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone planning a longer stay in Cairo. It is more suited for a quick stop-off, or for those who need to catch a flight the next morning, because it is close to the airport. It was a fairly good hotel overall for anyone looking for something basic and clean."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of April 2007

Haven in Helliopolis

"We chose this hotel as it was close to the main bus station (for Dahab) and to airport too. The staff were super friendly and helpful even helping us book and collect our bus tickets. The food at the italian resturant was good and there was a greay choice for breakfast. Rooms were clean, quiet and modern.
Great stop for easy access to airport and bus station.

Thanks"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of November 2006

Best Indian Food in the world

"The hotel is situated in the Heliopolis area, close to Airport and very accessible to Main highways to Pyramid, Islamic Cairo and Downtown area. The hotel is walking distance to Horreya street and to korba street shopping areas. I t is also walking distance to the Baron Palace. The hotel is good value for money. Rooms are very clean. The indian restaurant is not to be missed especially for lunch where you can enjoy the day light."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of April 2006

Hotels near The Karvin Hotel

Stayed at The Karvin Hotel? Share your insight.

The Karvin Hotel is also called