Swiss Inn Pyramids Golf Resort & Swiss Inn Plaza

Dreamland, El Wahat Road 6th of October City, Giza Egypt

nice hotel in Cairo

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"We stayed here during our trip with Gate 1 and found this place to be just ok. My only qualms with this place was the fact our balcony door was broken, which was a security issue. We called to have someone fix it, but alas no one came to our rescue. However, the room was very which was a plus. Very spacious and cozy. I'd be very cautious about eating fresh veges here. 5 people from my tour group got sick from eating them."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of December 2008

Wonderful facility, overall service was poor

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"We stayed here with a Gate 1 tour group. On the plus side, the rooms were enormous and beautiful, with very modern appliances, TV, hair dryer .. and one of the largest showers I've ever seen. Our room was quiet, and the property was well-kept. The shopkeepers in the small row of shops were pleasant and fun to bargain with (not overly aggressive).

We arrived before check in, so our rooms were not ready. That's understandable ... but what was not understandable was how they handled our luggage. Gate 1 unloaded the luggage onto the sidewalk in front of the hotel, and it was left in the hot sun. Since our rooms were not ready, we left on our tour bus for a half-day tour. When we returned after dark, around 6:30 ... our luggage was stll sitting out front on the sidewalk. It spent the entire day in the very hot sun, not to mention it would have been easy for someone to walk off with one of the suitcases. I realize they didn't know our room numbers, because we hadn't checked in, but someone should have moved the luggage indoors.

Because we arrived at 11 AM, we needed to eat a quick lunch and get on the tour bus at 12:30. None of the restaurants wanted to begin serving lunch until noon, which would not have left us enough time to eat, pay and catch the 12:30 bus. It took our tour guide and conversations with at least 3 hotel employees before they agreed to serve us before noon. They were making a LOT of money, because there were about 40 of us eating, but serving us did not seem like a priority.

Almost immediately after we checked in at 7, someone from housekeeping came to the room to check the towels. We were missing wash cloths, which should have been taken care of before we checked in, since there was plenty of time. I was on my way out the door to go to dinner, and I told the housekeeping guy I didn't have time to wait because people were waiting for me. He ignored my request to come back later, then told me I had to wait there in the room until he returned with washcloths.

Other than in the buffet restaurant, the service at the hotel was VERY slow. A group of about 10 of us went next door to the Hilton for dinner one night in hopes of receiving better service, but it was slow there too. Dinner took 2 1/2 hours, and it took 45 minutes to order and receive our drinks!"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of November 2008

Loved The Swiss Inn

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel through Gate 1. Very nice and clean hotel. Located in a quiet part of Cairo (the 6th of October City.) Very close to pyramids, and the Hilton next door. Rooms were very big, nice showers, and beds. There are 5 restaurants, a buffet, a Thai restaurant, an Middle Eastern, a bar with North American food, and another bar with snacks.

Security was very good, and I felt very safe at this hotel. Only problem that I could see is that there is a disco and you could hear the bass and music if your room faced the direction of the disco. Also, we arrived early through Gate 1 and had to wait 3 hours for our room but that is not the hotel's fault. Would definately return.

Internet is available 35 pounds for 30 minutes.

Food costs about 40 - 60 pounds per person for dinner. Pop is about 15 pounds and beer was about 25 pounds."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of October 2008

Inattentive service

Reviewed Tue 29th of January 2013

"Stayed at the Swiss Inn Pyramids Golf Resort as part of Gate 1 10 day Egypt for less trip. The room was very nice and large. The wait staff however was horrendous. It took forever to get seated, noticed and served at The Clubhouse for dinner. The service at the bar wasn't much better as well. It took over an hour to be served dinner. When i was there the resort was fully booked. My friends and i ended up eating most of our meals at the Hilton next door as did most everyone else in Gate 1's group. Swiss Inn's staff needs to be better trained to handle large groups of people if they want people to stay and eat at their resort."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of September 2008

Excellent Hotel

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Good, clean hotel. Room and bathroom both good size and clean . Swimming pool clean and good size. Excellent breakfast with good variety. Bar meals available all day at good prices eg £3.50 for a pizza. Good buffet dinner or restuarant in hotel.

Next to Hilton so can use their resturaunts and shops. Like all hotels in this area you need a taxi to go out and about, but again taxi's are not expensive in Egypt compared to UK."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of July 2008

Clean but Cheap

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend while on tour with Gate1 for the 15 day Egypt w/ Hurghada trip. I found this hotel to be very clean but poor workmanship. Our bed broke (it's not what you think) on the first night we were there and when we asked to have it fixed, they just placed it together in a way to make it look fixed and broke again the next night. I did like the pool area of the hotel because it was very open and clean. The location of the hotel is remote. It took us 45 minutes to get into Cairo by the scariest and fun experience cab ride in the world. There was a mall that was ab out 15 minutes away where we went to get snacks, batteries, and KFC. I recommend going to that mall because you get to immerse yourself in a local Egyptian's life. I was the only Asian woman and my boyfriend was the only white man in the whole place of about 3000 people."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of July 2008

Nice and quiet

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"I took this tour as apart of an organized tour (staying a total of 3 nights) and found it refreshing. It was a bit of a distance from down town Cairo, but only a $20 cab fare away. This resort was about 15 minutes from the Pyramids and 30 minutes from the airport (30 minutes by taxi….an hour by bus). This resort sat next to the Hilton (shared a golf course) and you have full access to the Hilton (very helpful since the Swiss Inn doesn’t have a bank or ATM machine). Tip….if walking over there, go the back way across the golf course (shorter distance and beautiful scenery). The Swiss Inn was very relaxing. It was not over crowded by no means. You could wake at 11am and still have a lounge chair (or 5) by the pool. The pool was nice and refreshing with a swim up bar and stools in the pool by the bar. Mixed drinks were a bit pricey. There were three choices for food (bar, buffet, and Asian restaurant). We ate at the Asian restaurant twice and the bar once. We had bad reviews on the buffet, so we never tried that. Many people went over to the Hilton for dinner and we heard great reviews from that. We enjoyed our food in the Asian restaurant. We had no complaints at this resort. The rooms were fine and the bathroom was spacious (largest shower I think I’ve ever been in). Speaking of the shower, this trip took us to two resorts and a Nile river boat. This was the only shower that you could actually complete the entire shower without getting shots of scalding water during it. Again, no complaints…..I would definitely recommend this resort to the typical traveler."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of May 2008

Very Nice Experience

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"We stayed at the Swiss Inn as part of a Gate 1 package. This hotel was our sanity on a chaotic and whirlwind tour of Egypt. Large, CLEAN room. The bathroom was very nice, roomy shower and lots of counter space. The TV has several English language options. We had a large balcony overlooking the golf course. The hotel is located about 15 minutes from the Pyramids, and quite a distance from central Cairo and the airport. We were on an organized tour which included our transportation so the distance was not an issue. You should not use tap water for brushing teeth, etc., but the standard of the hotel meets western expectiations. The grounds are pleasant with large pool area. There are 3 restaurants and you can order simple fare at the lobby bar. We ordered pizza at the bar for lunch which was good, 34 LE (about $7) each. We had 3 dinners at the Inn-Fusion (Asian) restaurant on the 2nd floor of the lobby. (After returning from our Nile River cruise that featured bland and questionable food selections, we looked forward to dining at this restaurant.) Some of the dishes were better than others, but we appreciated the presentation and effort made. Our most expensive meal at the Inn-Fusion restaurant was a very affordable 110 LE (about $22) for 2. Tax and gratuity is included in the menu prices. The service was pleasant and efficient. We aren't drinkers, but noticed mixed drinks are pricey. If your tour includes this hotel I'm sure you will appreciate what the Swiss Inn has to offer. This is not the ideal spot for someone traveling on their own due to it's distance from central Cairo. The 4 star rating is relative to other accomodations we experienced in Egypt. By US standards this would be a well rated 3 star hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of April 2008

Nice, but distant

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We booked an "8 Day Affordale Egypt with a 3 Day Cruise" package through Gate1 Travel, which was exactly as advertised - affordable. The property included in the package was The Swiss Inn Pyramids Resort (33 miles from the airport) and it takes about an hour to get to the hotel. The property is relatively new and the staff was very attentive. The rooms are large with a balcony and have a large walk-in shower. There is a very nice pool area. The buffet was extensive and the quality of the food was average. There is a fusion restaurant upstairs, which is their high-end establishment, is reasonably priced and has a very nice interior setting. Since there is nothing else around, but the Hilton next door, I would highly recommend this option.
If you are staying in Cairo and want to sightsee, you may be better off in the center of town because of the distance. If you don't mind the travel time, The Swiss Inn Pyramids Resort is a very nice option."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of April 2008

Very nice hotel in an isolated spot

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"This hotel was part of a 15 day Gate 1 Egypt and Red Sea tour. We stayed there two nights Feb. 21 and 22, and a third night March 4, 2008. The hotel is new, clean and sprawling. It sits, along with a Hilton, a golf course and some condos, in an isolated guarded compound area in "October City" just outside Giza and across from the "Dreamland" amusement park. There are no restaurants nearby other than those in the Swiss Inn and the Hilton. There is a large, heated pool which we got to enjoy our last day. Food is OK, but service can be very slow and confused in the pool area restaurant. Inside, it's buffet, so service is not such a problem. Our room was large, with comfortable double beds and a balcony facing the pool the first time and a barren area the second. The shower is cavernous, with plenty of hot water, but poor drainage both times (and the same situation for others traveling with us.) The a/c is plenty powerful and the room was quiet. There is a large closet with safe in the room and cable t.v. with several languages availabe. There is a small fridge in the room and water can be purchased in the bar for appx. $1.90 per large bottle. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom and the plugs are standard European style 220V. There is no ATM in the Swiss Inn, but you can walk to the Hilton where there is an ATM and some shops. (Follow the golf path to your left behind the pool.) The golf course is lovely and looks like a piece of Florida dropped in the middle of the desert.

Check in and out was quick although they never could find my son's coat despite the fact that several people knew that housekeeping had it and had "put it somewhere safe." As we found in much of Egypt, the service industry has a way to go. Wait staff and other service employees mean well, but don't always know what they're doing. There is a table in the lobby with tours offered in the area, but we didn't use. All in all, we enjoyed the hotel although a more central location where we could walk to stores and restaurants would have been nice (although probably louder). It is possible to walk out to the highway and flag a taxi, but that comes with the usual uncertainties. Cars booked by the hotel are more expensive that what you could negotiate outside. It's not far by car to the pyramids and sphynx."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of March 2008

Hotels near Swiss Inn Pyramids Golf Resort & Swiss Inn Plaza

Stayed at Swiss Inn Pyramids Golf Resort & Swiss Inn Plaza? Share your insight.

Swiss Inn Pyramids Golf Resort & Swiss Inn Plaza is also called