We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Siag Pyramids Hotel

59 Mariouteya St. Sakkara Road, Giza Egypt

Good

The only saving grace is its proximity to the Pyramids,

"I've been had! The hotel is so old, it must have been opened when the Pyramids were being built. I am normally gracious to my host, but I am honest as well. For New Year's party, I was served soup consisting of hotwater sprinkled with salt and pepper costing me LE 200, plus two slices of rubber sole masquerading as beef and chicken. If not for the holiday spirit, I would have complained. I don't know why the hotel is still open. Don't they have government bodies that regulates hotels which iz as vital to the economy as the Pyramids are?"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of January 2007

The worst ever, even by Cairo standards.

"This hotel is located very close to Giza Pyramids, almost in the neighborhood. It has a very good view of Pyramids but unfortunately the neighborhood is not very pleasant. It is by a street and it is not a proper street even by Cairo standards. On one side, a tiny branch of river Nile tries to flow among the dumped garbage cumulated over years. The other side is covered with cars, leaving a trail of dust for the enthusiastic pedestrian.
There are no shops near, even to buy water. You have to take a cab for your every need, which is a very tiresome task in Cairo.
The hotel's building was nice when it was built. Then nothing much happened, forget about any repairs or maintenance I doubt that there was ever any cleaning done.
People at reception are OK, at least they seem to understand you even though I got a feeling you get what they have in their minds regardless of what you ask for.
The entrance gives you enough clues for the awaiting horrors but as a naive tourist, informed about the low standards of Cairo Hotels you still keep your optimistic mood.
But the real show starts with the very first step away from the reception. The elevator looks like it was bought second hand from a mine shaft. Some buttons are missing so if your room is located in one of those floors you can start enjoying the walk in corridors which you can easily assume yourself kind of an unintended Indiana Jones finding your way in a Pyramid.
The room was really dusty and dirty. I think there wasn’t any cleaning ever done for the whole season, maybe longer. Sheets were newly washed, even though there were suspicious yellowish/reddish stains but they looked permanent. I think they happened too long ago and survived just too many Egyptian laundries, so I put up with it. But the rest of the room was not acceptable in any standards.
Starting from the least, the TV set belongs to 70s. It is an analogue color TV that you need to turn the knobs to tune a channel, anyway there is no sensible TV broadcast regardless of how hard you try.
The lights are not working at all, in my room there was only one working lamp but with a dim bulb. I think this was on purpose to hide the horrors you will encounter in the room. Even for the most easy going person on hygiene, and I can count myself in that class, stepping on the thing supposed to be carpet-once barefoot is unthinkable. Life is easier if you don’t see much.
The bathroom was a complete disaster. The bath tube was covered with the residue of previous unlucky guests, I can’t image how many. There was a foot print left by a hiking boot, and that spot looked like the cleanest part of the tube. I couldn’t decide whether taking a shower in that tube would render me cleaner or not so I had to skip shower even though it was my dream on the long wait in airport terminals, buses and lobby.
The toilet was a bit better, there was a consistent smell coming out of it but flush was working and there was toilet paper.
The sink was very much like the tube, but at least you don’t have to step on it.
In our room we had several cockroaches. I saw pictures of startled lizards taken by my friends staying in other rooms. There were rumors of spotted rats in corridors, but since the place is delusional I am not sure they were true.
Briefly, this place has completed its commercial function long ago. Even though it has 4 stars, it is not even close. Its fauna is like an endless broadcast of life of pests documentary and even though a bit dull, the place itself is history.
People will keep saying, all the hotels in Cairo are the same. Don’t believe it. I know because I changed the hotel. I am not writing the second hotel’s name here according to rules of this forum. But if you are one of those unlucky souls destined to Siag Pyramids Hotel and reading these lines know that there is life out of Siag."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of October 2006

A Very Unpleasant Stay

"When we arrived at Siag Pyramids we thought it looked okay, but unfortunatly when we stepped into the reception we knew this was not going to be good!!

Whilst we were checking in there was very loud music coming from the bar area (9.30pm) it was so loud we couldn't here the receptionist properly. We were then taken to our rooms only when we stepped into the lift it broke down so we was stuck inside with a very angry and hot conceirge and to add to this the floor was very wet with an unknown substance. Finally we arrived onto the 6th floor and we was greeted with dirty and very rundown corridors with an old musty smell. The room was very dirty and we had a hard time trying to get onto the balcony. The bathroom was disgusting and we felt very uncomfortable using its facilities. We did have a great view of the Pyramids. This was the only great thing about the hotel. We couldn't wait to get out of there, thankfully we only stayed 3 nights.

We will not be staying here or would we recommend this to anyone!! -4* Hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of September 2006

-4* the worst there is

"i have been to many places in the world an stayed in many hotels around the world of different star ratings 2*-5*, but my stay at Siag Pyramids has to be by far the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. at the travel agent we were told it was a 4* but when we got there we found out it was a lie.
. the bathrooms look like a dump with no hot water, limscale everywhere from the shower area to the sink, the shower area was all filthy and so ware the floors, the bed covers had blood stains god knows where they came from!!
the balcony doors were jammed and therefore we weren't able to use the balcony. the cleaners as honest and sincere as they were they lacked cleaning equipment and had to work with washing powder to do all their cleaning jobs.
all in all it was a huge disapointment to me an my wife for our honeymoon.
we were cheated i wuoldnt advise anyone else to go there."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of September 2006

Siag impressions

"From the outside it looked great, but once inside the old musty smell in the entrance foyer gave me an indication of the hotel. The place could have done with a really good clean throughout, but watching some of the cleaners at work its no wonder that it is in that state. The place appeared very dinghy, due to the type, or lack of lighting.
Any photographs I had seen in advertising literature must have been taken the day the hotel opened, because it did not look anywhere as nice and bright in reality.
What I can only describe as an open sewer right in front of the hotel isa real eye sore.
The staff were most courteous and as helpful as they could be with their limited English.
All in all it was a place to get my head down between sight-seeing.
Good view of the pyramids but next time I shall try somewhere else."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of May 2006

Never Again

"This hotel was stuck in a time warp. Any photos you see on the internet are a not quite a true representation of the hotel and there are usually 3 with people dressed in 60-70s clothing. As it was when they stayed there, so it is today, apart from alot more delapidated. The rooms are minging, I stayed for a week and didnt get to bath once as the bathroom was nasty. On our first night a couple of cockroaches welcomed us. There was a lamp in our room held together by blue cellotape. The room 418 was dusty and dirty. The only positive thing was the morning view of the pyramids. The pool never once got used while we were there and I dont think it ever does, yet they are out there daily attending to it. There was generator that came on at approximatley 2.00am on the side we were on it was really loud and what with the perpetually honking horns didnt make for a good nights sleep. We were booked in for bed and breakfast, but on the first morning i went to the big empty dirty looking dining room for the buffet and found that there was a bird that had pushed in ahead of me and was helping itself to the croisants. When I enquired about this they said it had lived in the room for a long time like it was normal. The food was not very nice either. So i didnt go back in there again apart from to show my friend the bird. There was also a night club on the 10th floor and though we were on the 4th floor could hear this everynight from 12.00- approximatly 8.00 am. Dont be fooled by the false friendliness of the people they are all out to get the cash out of your purse or wallet. We had adriver called Farad who works for the hotel he took us to all his relatives businesses all of whom charge the eartth even after a haggle. So unles you really want it dont part with your cash. Cairo is the sort of place you pass through and see the sights i would not recommmend you stay longer than 2 days."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of February 2006

Great View, take some wine, you'll need it!!

"The Siag is in dire need of an upgrade! The service is very so so from reception, although room service was quick. The rooms are very dirty, the whole place is run down and tired, make sure you don't pay much to stay here, it's definately more 2 star than 4. The best thing is the view, make sure you get a pyramid view room. We watched three light shows a nite from our balcony whilst sipping a couple of bottles of red, this made the room more bearable afterwards :> The beds are very soft and uncomfortable and breakfast is better off missed."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of October 2005

Siag Pyramids Hotel, Cairo

"On arrival we were greeted by a man called Edward, who by all accounts is very freindly and speaks excellent English. He promised our room would have a view of the Pyramids, and boy we got a good view!! If you stay at this hotel make sure you request a room on the 4th floor or above. The sunsets are amazing.

Unfortunately the hotel is not. We were in a room where the shower did not spray properly and instead we had a trickle, which we could just about put up with, and the water was hot, however the toilet leaked all day long and we had to use several towels to mop it up (when we told reception (not Edward) he just laughed!!). This is in contrast to our freinds who stayed next door who had no such problems, (rm 428).

Room service is terrible, on one occasion we waited for over two hours (not joking) for them to bring up an empty plate!! Again when we reported this to reception he laughed!! But to be fair he gave us 2 cans of Pepsi and lots of bread as a way of saying sorry.

There is a bird (a sparrow I think) that seems to live in the dining area, we were there a week and he/she was still there, eating the buffet, and probably crapping on the food too, but he/she was cute!

Other people report problems of the beds being uncomfy, and the air conditioning not working, we didn't have this problem and had many good nights sleep. However, Cairo is a very noisey city so take some ear plugs.

I would recommend this hotel if you can put up with the above problems, and is a lot better than other hotels we have stayed in in Egypt.

Happy Holidays."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of October 2005

Stay far away

"The Sieg Hotel near the pyramids is only for travelers that are young and want to disco all night long. They have a disco that opens at 1 am and plays until 7 am. You can hear it in most of the rooms. Do not let an agency send you to this hotel. All it offers is a view. Breakfast is so-so and rooms are not that clean. Not much in the neighborhood if you want to walk elsewhere. WE did find a good resturant across the street but it was not worth all the room changes we had to make to get our toilet to work, our shower to work and then to move again so our bed did not vibrate all night from the disco."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of March 2005

Just Horrible.

"Siag looks OK from outside, but behind the facade is an unmitigated disaster. The place is falling apart -- toilets don't flush, showers either don't work or lack hot water, the heaters are broken, TVs don't work, keys fail to unlock room doors. Our trip, unfortunately, included several separate stays at Siag Pyramids between excursions out of Cairo, so we became intimately familiar with all aspects of the hotel. Each check-in involved several trips down to reception to have them show us another room. One night, after we arrived very tired from a 10-hour drive, we went through six rooms, each with its own unique set of problems, before we found one where the basic amenities were functional. The bellhop who was showing the rooms to us was laughing at the absurdity of it; we weren't.

Other notes: If you stay on the second floor, you will not be able to sleep because the bar downstairs blares bad pop-music until 2am and your room will shake. Room service barely speak any English, and takes over an hour to deliver a cheese sandwich. Most of the mattresses are worn out beyond anything I've experienced before -- the individual springs stick out without any padding on top -- and my wife ended up with bruises. Do not be fooled by the four stars. In the West, this hotel would never get more than two."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of January 2005

This hotel was stuck in a time warp. Any...

"This hotel was stuck in a time warp. Any photos you see on the internet are a not quite a true representation of the hotel and there are usually 3 with people dressed in 60-70s clothing. As it was when they stayed there, so it is today, apart from alot more dilapidated.

The rooms are minging, I stayed for a week and didn’t get to bath once as the bathroom was nasty. On our first night a couple of cockroaches welcomed us. There was a lamp in our room held together by blue selotape.

The room 418 was dusty and dirty. The only positive thing was the morning view of the pyramids. The pool never once got used while we were there and I don’t think it ever does, yet they are out there daily attending to it. There was generator that came on at approximately 2.00am on the side we were on it was really loud and what with the perpetually honking horns didn’t make for a good nights sleep.

We were booked in for bed and breakfast, but on the first morning I went to the big empty dirty looking dining room for the buffet and found that there was a bird that had pushed in ahead of me and was helping itself to the croissants. When I enquired about this they said it had lived in the room for a long time like it was normal. The food was not very nice either. So I didn’t go back in there again apart from to show my friend the bird.

There was also a night club on the 10th floor and though we were on the 4th floor could hear this every night from 12.00- approximately 8.00 am. Don’t be fooled by the false friendliness of the people they are all out to get the cash out of your purse or wallet. We had a driver called Farad who works for the hotel he took us to all his relatives businesses all of whom charge the earth even after a haggle.

So unless you really want it don’t part with your cash. Cairo is the sort of place you pass through and see the sights I would not recommend you stay longer than 2 days."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of February 2006

Hotels near Siag Pyramids Hotel

Stayed at Siag Pyramids Hotel? Share your insight.

Siag Pyramids Hotel is also called