Pharaohs Hotel & Casino

12 Lotfi Hassouna Street Dokki, Giza 12411 Egypt

Adequate

"Stayed here pre tour and mid tour. Found the staff ammenable. Rooms were very clean , but found showers a problem. Either cold only or a trickle. Overall a convenient place to stay. Little supermarket in next street, and a week after we were to leave the internet was to be connected so would be very helpful."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of September 2008

Comfortable and good location

Good

"We stayed at Pharoahs Hotel as part of our Geckos tour both at the start and end. We found it relatively easy to find as the Sheraton is on the corner and alot of conveniences are located close by. The staff were all friendly and eager to help with any needs. The rooms are basic but the airconditioning was a saviour in the summer heat and although the beds could be softer, they were clean and the rooms were tidy. We also had a lovely view over the Nile on our first night, with a balcony to sit out on and relax with a drink. I thought it was comfortable for a brief stay of one or two nights."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of August 2008

Not a pleasant experience

Good

"The best thing I can say about this hotel is that it is cheap and the location is not too bad. But there was nothing worse than flying all day to get to Cairo and then wrangling a taxi ride to this hotel and then being told - at 10.30pm - that the hotel doesn't have a room for you. Even though I showed the documentation to prove I had booked this hotel months before, the reception staff were far from helpful. Then when I used the phone to call the manager and complain, they made me pay for the cost of the call! They then gave us a terrible room with no bathroom and no air conditioning. They eventually changed our room and the rest of the stay was not as unpleasant. The restaurant staff were friendly but unfortunately I couldn't say the same for the reception staff."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of July 2008

Great food and stay for price!

"This is one of the main hotels which is used for Gecko's tours and a few others so there's a lot of coming and going. But in spite of that, the hotel is clean and well located especially for the price.

We stayed here on a off for a week (before and after the tour). My first day in Egypt and I slipped in their bath having a shower (trying to avoid that horrendous Nile water they warn you about). I was left with bruises covering my back and in a lot of pain but hey, you learn as you go. The room was basic but clean - the worse part was the battered air conditioner but coming from Adelaide, it's a common sound and you soon get over it.

The food was nothing lavish but you can eat like Kings! Every morning, full buffet of good, healthy Egyptian food is included in the price. We'd stuff ourselves to get through the day and sit and watch Egyptian Top 20 (which lead to an Arabic Music addiction!). We ate in the hotel every night. 100 EGP for two people saw us with chops, salads, rice, desert, soft drink plus a generous tip. We'd sit up the top, watch football and Cairo going nuts across the Nile.

If you're happy to fight the tree cats in the streets, going for a walk in Doqqi is great and there's surprisingly a lot of stuff around. On the corner is a Deli to buy your Western goodies (Toblerone bars for 6 EGP), keep on walking and you get to the mad roundabout with the Sheraton on the corner. Here you can get a great exchange rate. Further down the river you have Ragab's Papyrus - expensive but a great range. The hotel is actually surrounded by Consulate's - head left and around the corner and you pass private hospitals, Spanish Consulate and great parks to relax in. Right around the block is a well stocked Pharmacy, cheap internet cafe and KFC! Of all things and run by the hearing impaired! Never seen any Western Country have a shot at this and it works great - just point to what you want, simple. You can seriously base yourself here without missing out too much on the things you love. Also within walking distance is the Subway.

All in all - the location and price really overshadow anything else. We learnt quickly that going to Egypt, nothing is by Western Standards and everything is in 'Egyptian Time'. Once you get past that, all you need is a clean room and a great feed and Pharaoh's does just that."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of March 2008

"I guess you pay for what you get.

The rooms are fine though outdated.

The bathrooms are clean I suspect but they are very old with built up grime in all of the corners.

Breakfast was pretty average.

Its not a great location. You have to travel to get to any of the sites. But there are restaurants, fast food places, an ATM, internet place and corner shops within a few blocks, which is good.

The restaurant on the 10th floor had great views. But again, the food was average.

Watch out for Mahamah. He stands out the front of the hotel and when you walk past he just happens to be walking in the same direction and offers to take you to an ATM/food joint/whatever the case may be. he'll chat to you and be really friendly. Before you know it your in his store and you've bought some papyrus. Its his selling ploy and maybe its a bit dodgy but we're happy with our paintings. We were staying at the hotel with a geckos tour and he knows the start and finishing dates so he's usually around on those days!"

• Travel date: Thu 13th of March 2008

Comfortable and clean.

"We had a triple room which was large with large ensuite. I found the staff friendly and helpfull, its a short walk to a large grocery shop ( a rare find in Egypt) and the Nile, and their are numerous fast food outlets within three blocks. It was comfortable, clean and cheap."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of January 2008

Traffic noise...and Nile view!

"When entering the hotel, the reception seems quite nice. The room however was disappointing. We had the 'luck' to have a bathroom that was only accessible through a small corridor, which was shared with our neighbours. The airconditioning needed some extensive cleaning and all objects with a plug seemed quite old and not very safe to me (buzzing fridge, didn't even dare to turn on the TV...) You could see that some DIY had been done: although I'm not extremely confident in my own DIY skills, I can say for sure that I'm much better at it. However, the beds were fine, and the sheets were clean. Towels were also clean. Nothing wrong with that! Traffic noise was terrible. Throughout the whole night you hear the car horns giving an unbearable concert. Ear plugs are a must!"

• Travel date: Wed 5th of September 2007

Not a 3 Star

"Good bits: very friendly staff, good value for money (only paid £18 GBP per night for a double bedroom including breakfast)

Bad bits: had one of the best room on the 9th floor with a Nile view… traffic noise was horrendous (24/7)
Taxi drivers had trouble finding the hotel (several occasions)
Dirty bathroom tub/shower
Bath was small not really suitable to have a bath

Egyptian museum/downtown is at least 10 mins by taxi (about 10 Egyptian pounds). If you would like a quiet/clean place, try Oasis Hotel (about 5-6 km from the Giza pyramids).

Would I stay here again? No, if I can help it."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of April 2007

atmosphere was calm

"It not huge like Sheraton of neighborhood.
However, It was able to spend time with staff and other guest calmly and familiarly.
House keeper and concierge, several staff of the front learned my face, they gave smile everyday and helped me.

There are a few stand near and KFC and supermarket chain ALFA at next block.
It can walk to Cairo tower and Metro . An exchange money is possible in Sheraton Hotel.
Room facilities worked well.I hope visit here again.
I"

• Travel date: Wed 30th of August 2006

Not the Hyatt, but nice for $25

Good

"for a woman travelling alone in cairo, this hotel was pretty private and comfortable. I stayed in a room overlooking the Nile, which is really nice for $25/night! It didn't have a breakfast, but you could walk down the street to a great sandwich shop, and there was a pharmacy/convenience store on the corner. the AC worked well, and the room was comfy. For a 2/3 star hotel, it was lovely. i have fond memories of my stay there.

the only weird thing was that they asked a female friend of mine for her ID when she came to visit in my room..."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of April 2006

Hotels near Pharaohs Hotel & Casino

Stayed at Pharaohs Hotel & Casino? Share your insight.

Pharaohs Hotel & Casino is also called