We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

49 Nubar Bab el Louk, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Good

Great Place

Good

"Not sure why this place gets the neutral / average reviews recently.
Stayed for 5 nights with my family ( 2 small kids) and loved it.
You need to get over the lift and remember that you are in Cairo - the breakfast was great ( orange juice / toast/bread jam and cheese/coffee and cake and yought and eggs).
Rooms were exceptionally clean and the ones with private bath and balcony fantastic. The staff were helpful and the roof terrace great.
Good location - 5 mins to nile and egyptian museum.
What more could you ask for??"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of April 2008

Not sure how this place stays at the top of the lists

"I have to say, having stayed 2 nights at the Osiris (late January 2008), I’m more than a little ‘curious’ that this hotel maintains its high ranking. If what you’re looking for is one notch up from a backpacker hotel, then this is the place for you. If you’re looking for something even slightly nicer, I don’t think you’ll find it here. Yes, the (pretty basic) rooms are clean and the prices are reasonable, but there are some negatives you need to seriously consider as well:

1. I wouldn’t really call the staff exceptionally friendly or overly helpful--I’d say they’re fine, because I personally didn’t see or experience anything more than what I would expect. No complaints, but no glowing review. Maybe I was just lucky enough not to really ‘need’ anything from them so I didn’t have a lot of interaction. My experience = Slightly above average.
2. I wouldn’t recommend getting a room with a shared toilet. Pharoh’s revenge is pretty rampant in Cairo and even if you don’t get sick, one of your neighbors quite probably will. Even if it’s quickly cleaned, the entire communal bathroom in a state of “great disarray” is not a sight you want to see first thing in the morning. We certainly didn’t.
3. The lift: yes, it is pretty scary (see some of the other reviews), and don’t get too close to the unenclosed wall as the elevator goes up/down—you could probably strike a match on the cinder blocks as you zing past them (but you’d have to be careful not to drop it down the large hole that seems to be developing in the wooden floor of the elevator).
4. Our room was actually pretty noisy. The walls of the room were fine and seemed to have plenty of soundproofing. The door to the room could have been a screen door for all the use it was in keeping out noise. Also in our room we kept hearing this deep ‘wooshing’ kind of sound every few minutes—day and night. We could never quite figure out if it was somehow associated with the elevators or with some other part of the building mechanics. It didn’t actually wake us up, but it could certainly bug the crap out of you if you’re more sensitive to noise. I have kids, so noise doesn’t bother me so much any more. I only touch briefly upon the sounds of mosques because you get to hear them pretty much no matter where you’re staying. This was the only place, however, that I actually noticed the loudspeakers EVERY time prayer was called—and I stayed at several other hotels both in Cairo and in the rest of Egypt. Might as well just set your alarm clock for 5am.
5. Breakfast was...underwhelming. Fine for an above average backpacker-type place inasmuch as it wasn’t just day-old rolls and instant coffee. It definately was NOT the epicurean delight that some reviewers seem to have gotten. That implies to me that it’s pretty spotty, which I consider a big minus. On a positive note, the fresh orange juice was amazing.

In short, the place was fine, but in the future, I’ll pay the $5-10 more a night and stay elsewhere."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of March 2008

Not what we expected

"I just wanted to warn people what to expect, we booked because of the excellant reviews we seen on here. In my opinion this hotel is a grade up from a back packers hostel. I was very shocked when we arrived outside the buiding in our taxi i was sure the driver had maked a mistake, then we proceeded to get into a grotty lift which frightened the life out of me. To be fair the room was clean, but it was basic, for instance we didnt have a proper wardrope instead we had a wicker thing which didnt hold anything. I just want people to know what to expect if its somewhere clean but very basic this is the place to stay alas it definately is not for me."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of March 2008

Quite a deception !!!

"I chose Osiris Hotel based upon the positive reviews but was very much deceived upon arrival at the Hotel. The hotel is located at the top floor of a building and is reached by using an old and dirty lift. The single room, although clean, was very tiny and the room furniture very basic. The breakfast was so-so. I would not recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of March 2008

Excellent as usual

"I stay at the Osiris Hotel every couple of months when sent on a job to Cairo by my company. i never wrote a review up until now but i was shocked by the last comment
If the management comes to you to offer dinner or tours you will think they are pushy and if not you think they dont take good care of you!
the hotel has basic rooms, it is not a 5 star hotel and the price reflects that but one thing for sure is that it is spotless, the owner verifies each room every morning to make sure of that
the breakfast has fresh juice, tea, coffee, yogurt, toasts with butter and jam, egyptian bread and cheese and depending on the days, pancakes, omelettes, fruits...they are made fresh when you sit down for breakfast
Nabil goes to any length to get you what you ask wether it is train tickets or bookings anywhere. He and his wife want all the guests to be happy with their stay and help in any way they can
I have always had a great experience during my stays and would recommend it very highly."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of January 2008

A little bemused....

"I am a little perplexed and bemused when I read all the reviews on this hotel.

I stayed there with my girlfriend in September, having booked on the basis of the reviews I'd read. The price was fairly reasonable at £10 pp / per night, and on that basis you can't really expect too much.

However, my experience is somewhat at odds with all the glowing reviews and I really cannot believe this place is so highly rated (I do wonder if there are some 'false' reports posted here).

Our room was small and very basic and that was fine in itself - however, it was not particularly clean, especially the bathroom.

The staff were 'ok' but not anything like the way described. The owner was helpful in some ways but only when pressed for assistance, and neither he nor the staff exactly went out of their way to help or were overly friendly as described by others.

The breakfast was the most basic and I have seen in Egypt and barely edible (I previously lived in Egypt for a while), again nothing like described by many others (we were never offered supper).

I will caution that we did go at the start of Ramadan, so perhaps this did have an effect on the mood of the staff.

Ultimately, if you're happy to go to a budget, fairly basic hotel then this place is fine for that purpose ...to my mind, just don't expect the service or standards that previous reviewers seem to have described."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of January 2008

A gem!

"We stayed here at either end of our travels in Egypt and can't recommend it highly enough for anyone looking for a sensibly priced getaway from the crowds and organised tourism.

Spotlessly clean and with the most helpful and friendly staff you could wish for. (They even managed to find us first class tickets on a fully booked train!)

Top Tip: Do eat at the hotel. A table full of delicious home cooked Egyptian food for just a few dollars.

Jon and Margaret. Corfu, Greece."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of January 2008

Highly recommended

"This is a safe, clean, and welcome place to get a great night sleep and meet with wonderful travellers and owners. We stayed 1 night while in transit home in a tripe private bathroom. We met the owner, Nabil, and his daughter Nadine, and they were very hospitable. This is not a hotel chain so this should be expected, but I would pick this location any day to have the good time that I did again. There is also a terrance outside where you can sit and relax in addition to the rooftop. Each room can be temperature controlled. We had the triple which was 1 queen and 1 twin bed, with private bath. Room was more than spacious.
We had breakfast made for us, prepared eggs, fresh breads, cheeses, fresh jams, fresh squeezed juice, and hot tea or coffee. You simply sit and this platter is brought out for you. The beds were comfy, the rooms large, the bathrooms clean. There is no "enclosed shower" or shower curtain, which I've never experienced and tried my best not to soak our entire bathroom, this was my only challenge. The hotel is near the american embassy. The entrance to the hotel is just off the corner from electronics shops, take the elevator to the 12th floor. There is also a huge rooftop terrance for sitting and relaxing, although there were no others in attendance for our visits up. The hotel staff and owners are knowledgeable about recommendations, directions, and being hositable hosts. We spent our evenings chatting with them and other travellers, and met some amazing people. Can walk to Tahir Square in 5 minutes, there is a metro stop nearby as well. ATM on the same block. Cash currency accepted only, no credit cards. Also, we did not know this in advance, but would have gladly contributed - the hotel takes up a collection of used clothing for a group in need that the hotel sponsors. If travelling and can bring an item or items, it is appreciated."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of January 2008

Highly recommended

"We discovered this hotel by chance on Tripadvisor. Given the shortage of good small and affordable hotels in Cairo we decided to give the Osiris a go. It was wonderful! A good central location and within easy walking distance of the Egyptian Museum and city centre. It's also an interesting but longer walk from the Islamic Museum and the Ibn Tulun mosque.

Josiane, Nabil and Nadine and their staff were all superb. Nothing was too much bother. The breakfast was fine and Nabil's dinner superb. Everywhere is immaculately clean and electrics, shower etc all worked well.

We would thoroughly recommend the Osiris and hope to stay there again. Great value."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of December 2007

a good choise

"My wife Valentina and I were in Cairo last week and we spent 7 nights at Osiris Hotel. We enjoyed a lot our stay there. The hotel (a family run hotel) is located at the last floor (12th) of an office/apartment building about 400 hundred meters from Midan Tahrir that is the heart of Cairo City. There is a nice terrace were get breakfast (that was more than good) and a bigger one where to relax in the upper floor. Rooms are large and simply, very clean and spotless (Mrs Josiane, the owner of the hotel together with her husband Mr Nabil, personally supervises each morning the housekeeping of the rooms and the common areas). My suggestion: choose the rooms with a private terrace and the en-suite bathroom. They are a little bit more expensive (35 euro/night) but the quality is worth the price! Both Josiane and Nabil were ready to answer each of our questions (e.g. taxi fares, place to visit, trips to be organized, etc). We think that the Osiris Hotel is a really excellent choice for independent travellers concerned about costs. You can book there using internet at [--]. Website: [--]"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of December 2007

Hotels near Osiris Hotel

Stayed at Osiris Hotel? Share your insight.

Osiris Hotel is also called