Oasis Hotel

Cairo-Alexandria Desert Road, Giza 12556 Egypt

Needs better management

"This hotel is run for the convienience of the staff. It is the only place I stayed in or visited where no welcome was given and the only time a guy in reception smiled was when he told me that the hotel did not change money and that the banks were closed.
This could be a lovely hotel - nice setting and gardens -but the management needs to do some work.
e.g. at breakfast on two mornings I had to find someone to clear tables (I found someone in charge the second morning, he vanished through a door, there was a lot of shouting and suddenly five more waiters emerged to assist the only one in duty in the crowded dinning room) and the food was not good. e.g. stale bread, eggs obviously cooked the day before.
Time that beds were replaced and new sheets were bought that fit the beds."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of August 2007

Good But away from the city

Good

"Away from the city so you may not get too many shops to dine / or to even buy medicine.

Otherwise people are helpful and good amenities"

• Travel date: Thu 26th of July 2007

Good Value for Money

"Nice and clean hotel. The only negative thing I can say about this hotel is that it is located at the outskirt Cairo near the pyramid and I found this to be inconvenent specially if you have to be in downtown cairo.

Taxi to the hotel from the airport took me 1hrs and costs 100LE. Taxi from the Hotel to downtown cairo costs 50LE.

In general if you don't have plan to go to downtown that much then it is a good choice, other wise avoid it."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of July 2007

My Experience of the Oasis Hotel and Cairo.

"I originally chose this hotel after reading different reviews on this site on the different hotels in the city and decided to risk this one. I booked the trip at the beginning of April and travelled to Cairo along with my girlfriend and 2 friends.

The trip lasted for 8 days in total. Decide what you think from my review and decide if it is a good experience or a bad experience on your own judgement. We arrived in Cairo approximately 2am local time using KLM. The flight was magnificent, perfect in every way from flight entertainment to the food served during the flight. Only snag we hit was luggage. One of the other guys was unfortunately to have lost thier luggage during the flight transfers.

Luckily we had taken enough clothes between us to guys to split with him to give him something to wear throughout the trip. The cost of the trip for 4 of us cost LE£100 plus tip which worked out just over £10 sterling. Straight away I knew we were getting ripped off after reading reviews from others but the time at this point was coming upto 4am and we just wanted to get to the hotel. The journey took over an hour but despite this, we managed to drive past the Nile, a number of Mosques and the Pyramids. The hotel staff were very friendly and polite in every way.

We were given rooms next door to each other in a building that was quite far from reception. It was a few mins walk, but we were given privacy woth regards to away from the noise, and a spacious room with myself and gf given an upgrade into a room with a king-sized bed.

At times when all you want to do is get into a lift that takes you a few steps away from your hotel door, this hotel does not offer this facility.

Despite this, the hotel has great gardens, and an excellent standard of room service. After waking up, we were asked if we wanted a limousine service for few hours with a driver to take us wherever we wanted to take us. Bearing in mind that we have just arrived and 4 of us, the cost of this wouldn't have been that high so we took the offer.

The driver took us around the Coptic area of the city. This was ok and set us in good stead, however we did want to go to visit the older parts of the city and tour Old Cairo.

He suggested us to eat food in a restaurant that he knows that serves great food so we decided to give it a shot. The bill for 4 of us came to over £25 sterling. This was when we realised that we are being charged high prices for a few pieces of meat that I could've cooked at home myself for a few quid.

After this the driver suggested taking us to a Papyrus museum but we just stated we wanted to go back to the hotel. He didn't look too happy but I was kinda angry at him for taking us to this place for food. The taxi cost us LE£180 = £18 sterling for 6 hrs.

Evening we spent next to the pool and drinking on our balconies. This was when we were attacked by mosquitos and our legs were all literally covered in bites. If you do choose to stay in this hotel then protect yourselves fully if you choose to do either of these.

The next morning, we had breakfast and then used the same driver. As soon as we got in the taxi, he told us what we were doing that day. I didn't like this, and neither did my gf as it seemed that it was him choosing for us where we HAD to go. Didn't really say much at the time as he was taking us to the Egyptian museum. This was a great day out. as we managed to visit the mask of the great king himself along with the mummies. However afterwards, we wanted to go to Arcadia Mall to do some shopping where he rejected stating that there wasn't anywhre to park. He took us to a place called Cairo Mall. We wanted to go to the other mall due to our friend losing his luggage and he wanted to buy some decent clothes that he could use back in the UK.

Cairo Mall was a complete dump. It was a horrid place. We were in this one shop where my friend was choosing his new wardrobe. My gf put some cream on her bites on her legs as it was safer to do this inside the shop than outside. Every guy that worked inside the store placed themselves in a position where they could each get a good view. We surrounded her so that they couldn't see yet they all repositioned themselved and started lighting up cigarettes and were all laughing and staring at her.

We left the place and the mall immediately. Children outside were grabbing onto us and asking us for money. This mall was a horrible place.

In the evening, 3 of us didn't feel too well. I think it may have been due to the breakfast we ate at the hotel as the one that felt ok was the guy that ate carefully at the buffet whereas the other 3 myself included tucked in. The next morning we had to wake up early as the driver had arranged an early morning camel ride facing the sunset. This was expensive - there was a promise of a visit to ride through the pyramids watching the sunrise. Of course this did not happen but nevertheless, we managed to ride intot he sahara desert watching the sunrise, still a once in a lifetime opportunity. Expensive but worth it as it cost around LE£400 each. We only took the offer as it was something we probs wouldn't do ever again and we have spent money on worse things in life.

This illness of visiting the toilet on an hourly basis started after this trip and lasted 4 days where it hit us hard. We were unable to leave our room during the days as temps hit over 40 degrees and this would have effected our recovery.

The 3rd evening we were well enough to go out for a few hrs without needing to go to the toilet as by then, we were all moreless running on empties. We visited the light and sound show. This was excellent, out first chance of visiting the pyramids and a chance to do something other than go out during the daytime. There are a 1000 thousand seats but only 50 or 60 were taken so we have the whole auditorium to ourselves.

The 4rd evening of being ill meant that we had to go do something else otherwise we would have missed out on a lot of our plans. We managed to organise a boat trip down the Nile that started at 9pm and ended past 11pm. This cost us around £20 sterling each including all drinks plus driver. The trip was great and we were able to instruct the driver to take us anywhere we wanted down the nile. It was our own boat and it appeared to be more of a yacht than your regular boat trip. We had a new driver take us to the Nile for this trip to take place. His name was Zakki, he was brilliant. He drove down the Nile and checked to find a driver with insurance to take us out on the Nile. This was definitely money well spent.

The last day we all risked it and visited the Pymarids. This was only a 10 minute drive from the hotel. The 2 hr trip for the hire of taxi and limo was LE£65. The ticket to visit the pyramids was cheap also. This was great for location from hotel and location from City. The air is cleaner and you are moreless free to do whatever you want outside the pyramids. Just beware of the lil kids offering you free gifts as once you accept, you have to give them a tip that costs twice as much as the gifts. We saw this German family get screwed over by what looked like a 5 yr old kid.

The middle pyramid is cheap to visit as it costs only a lil bit extra. Just get read for the steep narrow steps inside that involves high heat as you walk into the centre of the pyramid.

Overall, for what we managed to do....the hotel was good, and the sites are great. If you do decide to use the Hotel limo service, make sure you stamp your authority and you tell the driver what you want to do, especially as on the way back to the airport wwe drove past Arcadia Mall, and this was only round corner from the Museum and had a big car park next to it.

Don't let the drivers scam you as they blatantly only want to benefit themselves and try talk you into buying from their friends stores so that they can collect a commission from the sales.

If you do visit the museum, use the shuttle bus. It stops round the corner from the from the museum and is hassle free. I would use the hotel again, but WILL NOT eat there again. Make sure you carry change on you at all times for small tips to the waiters and room service staff.

Take some Imodium from your local chemist in case of the inevitable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of July 2007

Tranquil break from the madness that is Cairo!

Good

"Although the Oasis Hotel is away from the hustle & bustle of Cairo, which is a good & bad thing, it is perfectly situated for the pyramids. Rooms are large & above average & there is a great selection of eateries - special favourite - the Italian. Good pool. Great value for money"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of June 2007

Good Base for Cairo

"We have recently returned from a trip with Imaginative Traveller and stayed in the Oasis Hotel for 3 nights during the tour. It was a really relaxing place to stay in the hustle and bustle of Cairo. Located within 10 minutes of the Pyramids (with Cairo traffic allow 20 mins) it is a good place to base yourself for a few days.
The rooms were clean and well equipped. We had two rooms for our family of four, although as both rooms had two double beds we could have all shared. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was a good selection of buffet food, and we did eat dinner one night which was also good."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of April 2007

Nice hotel, good for families.

Good

"We - family of five - spent 2 nights at the Oasis at the beginning of April 2007. It's a big, rambling sort of place with pleasant gardens and a really nice swimming pool which the kids just loved. Breakfast was good, although we were less impressed by the Italian meal we had one evening - it was sort of OK but not really up to the standard you'd expect.

Rooms were fine, including the bathrooms, and the staff were friendly and helpful. They've got a bar too, but we didn't sample its delights."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of April 2007

Very good hotel

Good

"We stayed there for a total of 7 nights , very clean hotel , near the pyramids the only down side is it is about 40 minutes by taxi from the center there is a shuttle bus 4 times a day which is good service but still if a go back i would stay down town, The staff is very nice there is beautifull gardens"

• Travel date: Sat 14th of April 2007

Perfect for quiet location.....BUT beware....

"We spent 2 nights at this hotel, Easter Sunday and Monday. Upon arrival in the morning there was a buzz of activity with about 4 coaches waiting to take other tourists to different sight seeing locations. (Small reception area, making us think that the hotel was overcrowded, but the gardens and rooms at the back are very spacious) The rooms were very clean and the Air Conditioning worked well. Big bathrooms with hot water. The only downside to our stay was Easter Monday. Being also an Egyptian hoilday a lot of locals had invaded the hotel and the swimming pool area had live music and dancing all day creating quite a racket! Some tourists even sunbathed in the gardens rather than near the pool!
The hotel was quite difficult to find by a couple of taxi drivers we picked from downtown. It is important to stress that the hotel is near the Pyramids going towards Alexandria."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of April 2007

Stay here away from downtown

"Bad: only problem we had was with the shower (kept going hot and cold)
Food is good but not the same taste/quality you would find in the city

Good: Value for money (£36 GBP per night for a double bed inc Hot Buffet Breakfast)

If you would like a clean, noise free place stay here. Hotel runs a shuttle bus to Egyptian Museum/downtown about 3/4 times a day.

If you take a taxi from downtown/Egyptian museum, expect to pay 30-40 Egyptian pounds.

P.S. If you use the hotel limo service, please tip the limo driver as most drivers rely on tips. Same goes for waiters/attendants in local restaurants."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of April 2007

This hotel was clean, the Staff were fri...

Good

"This hotel was clean, the Staff were friendly. The hotel is quite far from shops and other places, so you will need taxis to where ever you want to go. Please ask the hotel staff of approximately how much your journey should cost, and fix the price before you actually get into the taxi. We visited the Pyramids and the Sphinx and the hotel was fairly near to that, so the cost was cheap (approximately (£2 to £3, 30 Egyptian pounds). There was a variety of food, but Beef and Chicken are the main meats, (Fish was also on the menu) so if you do not eat any or all of these, the choice can be restrictive. I spoke to the Manager, and surprise, surprise, within 10 minutes, a specially made dish was brought to our table. I would say the staff do try and make your stay better. The Pool Area was very nice with food and drinks being served, the staff here again were friendly, apart from the 1 occassion at the Ice Cream counter where it seemed I was asking for something from outer space (A Cream Soda). Overall, I would definitely use this hotel again."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of August 2008

I really didn’t like this hotel - it w...

"I really didn’t like this hotel - it was very basic and the food was not fantastic either. The rooms were musty smelling and there is music being played throughout the night so loudly that I often never got any sleep.

The food was very bland for breakfast, but I am giving the 3 points for the Italian restaurant (the name surpasses me). It had wonderful delicious food and was very reasonably priced.

Cairo is not as cheap as people expect it to be so take lots of money and make sure you haggle at every opportunity.

I would not return to Cairo and if I had to, I would definitely not visit this hotel. By the way you cannot see the pyramids from this hotel. Its several miles from the pyramids so please be warned. I've stayed in two star hotels better than this. The rooms do not look like they do in the pictures the hotel has publicised."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of January 2008

Hotels near Oasis Hotel

Stayed at Oasis Hotel? Share your insight.

Oasis Hotel is also called