Nubian Hostel

4 Elwy Street off Qasr El Nile Street, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Good

The one good thing is the excellent location

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"As a mature couple, used to staying in 'cheap' accommodation, we were disappointed with the Nubian for the following reasons. Room was spacious, but window faced a wall, so no view of anything and no natural light. Floor and wardrobe were quite dirty and generally room was fairly neglected i.e. light bulbs missing, false ceiling panels missing and shower next to toilet didn't drain properly. Breakfast was poor (1 to 2 bread rolls, cheese triangle and jam), internet not working and no map available. Night staff very friendly, day staff o.k., but didn't do more than they had to. I'd say the Nubian was more for younger, true backpacker types. Excellent location; close to the Museum. metro station and main shopping areas. We actually walked everywhere or took the metro."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of January 2010

Best Staff EVER!!!

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"I arrived quite late and within 20 minutes the manager has helped me sort out transportation, tours, and leisure agenda for the length of my trip!
The staffs really go above and beyond to make sure you are "taking care" of - they even helped me check the plane reservation for my return from Luxor to Sharm, and took me to the metro station to catch my sleeper train (as it's more economical)! As a solo female traveler it's terrific to be able to let down your guards for a while and just enjoy the hospitable culture.
5 star staff - made the whole trip worth while :) I returned to the UK, feeling refreshed, and in awe of the amazing people.
Sophie"

• Travel date: Fri 11th of December 2009

Incredible value for your money! superb hostel

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"i booked by phone and sent them my flight's details and as I stayed for more then 3 days the picked-up me for free! :D I had a room with bath inside, a/c and satellite tv (that's why i chose it ) it was very clean (specially for egyptian standards;) the troom very was very high, like 4 meters so it feels very spacious. the bed was good, very big (room 206). The outstanding bit are: Not only free WiFi, but free internet in their PC computer (!!!), no harassment at all (I did't take any tours because i've been in Cairo many times before and they were like "Ok! no problem") also, you can teke your breakfast at ANY TIME! :D i like to sleep so it was very good for me, hehe! the relaxing room with tv and old books is very nice - 60'ies-arabic decoration, hehe. all the staff is cool and funny. the boss Magdy will always help you fast! 5 stars to him! I've been in many hostels in cairo, this is the best i've seen. other guest happy as well here... in the cons side: the street is quite dirty (but hey! it's cairo...)
i think that is it. i absolutely recommend it. won't regret. good luck in Cairo! =)"

• Travel date: Fri 6th of November 2009

Somewhat OK, but only average

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"No maps and info available. Set me up with a terrible driver who argued with me the whole time to go shopping with him and my refusal to accept a 1 hour camel ride for 400 Le which I just walked away from. When I'd tell him he was wrong and yell at him for his unreasonable stupidity, he'd just chant, "Allah! Allah! Allah!," and then stop hassling me for about 10 minutes, but start up again. Hostel owner was stressed out when I returned and told him how the driver ruined my trip to the pyramids, Saqquara, and Memphis who refused to even give me a ride back to the hostel at my request. He disobeyed me the whole time while hassling me with his negativity as is unfortunately too common in Egypt. Good breakfast with tasty triangle shaped cheeses, tea, and coffee. 1st room I was in, the A/C didn't work and it wreaked of bug killer, but they put me in a huge room with cold A/C and no odors upon my request after 15 minutes of check in. Laundry is available. WiFi was super slow. Stay only if you are experienced with Egypt, have maps, and info, but you can do much better than this in the same price range."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of October 2009

best discovery in our trip to Egypt

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"I found Nubian Hostel on hostelbookers.com and it was hard to believe how positive the comments were. I booked it thinking I didn't have much to lose. It's not a 5-star hotel, but heck it's clean and A/C and easy to get to (close to two Metro stops and the Egyptian Museum and lots of restaurants and shopping) and Mohammed can arrange airport pickup and dropoff. Cable TV, good Internet... the breakfast was meager but that's not why I was there. All-around great value!"

• Travel date: Tue 13th of October 2009

great hostel!

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"his hostel was such a find! we were able to get a private room here with a shower, satellite tv and free wi-fi for under $20/night! i stayed in a 5 star hotel while i was there and they wanted to charge $15/hour for internet service! it is also MUCH better than the 2 and 3 star hotels we were at. nubian is clean and mohammed is very professional and friendly. we booked our entire trip itinerary through him and it was much more affordable than had we booked it through an agency based in the US or from a more expensive hotels. he doesn't pressure you to do things you don't want to do, which is the way some of the other hotels' concierge was like. nubian was great. i regret not having spent more of my nights here which would have certainly save me money."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of September 2009

Gourgeous

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We stay there 10 days and everything was just gourgeous...
Friendly staff.
The location of Nubian Hostel is great. Everything you need (restaurants, pubs, pharmacy, underground, food store, movie theatre, shopping etc) is within a 5 and between 30 min walk.
We simply loved the hostel!
The rooms were adorable and very clean,AC work good,hot and cold water,TV with satelite...
The price was good enough.
Especially the staff was so nice and polite.
We enjoyed our stay a lot, and we will definetely recomand to everyone
Regards to Mr Magdy

Layla & Muhammad"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of August 2009

Great quite location, amazing staff, honest and tour planner tied into one.

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"My first review for Tripadvisor. Laziness usually prevents me from contributing to these sites but we had such a wonderful experience I wanted to share experience with others.

Third trip to Egypt. Stupidly did not prebook accommodation before arrival. Both lonely planet recommendations where full. Hot and tired from the flight from Australia so succumbed to a hotel tout at Cairo Airport.

One night, i thought, can't be too bad, then onto better accommodation tomorrow.

Lack of preparedness ended up being a blessing in disguise. Nubian hostel was the destination.

Expectations very low. Ended up being an incredible find.

Location as close to ideal as you will find if travelling to Cairo as a tourist. A five minute walk to Tahria square where most people want to be. Close enough to be convenient but unlike the hostels i have stayed in on previous trips to Cairo it was also very quite.

Next surprise. The airconditioning worked and worked really well. Other surprises followed. Mohamed the owner apologised for the price of the room saying that the airport person received a commission and the price would be lower for any subsequent days!!

Wow. How often does that happen? Next lovely surprise, requested a double room but a very large vacant room with 8 beds, shower, balcony and airconditioning was offered and gladly taken. Wow now i felt like we were in our own studio apartment.

Don't get me wrong this was not the $400 dollar a night Hilton. You won't feel like you are on the set of Casablanca or in a Grand hotel from a bygone era but a better overall experience i could not think of.

Other surprises followed. The staff were more than fantastic. About to head down to the Hilton to change travellers cheques. Don't pay more than ten Egyptian pounds i was told and make sure to haggle. After the third potential taxi the 40 pounds became ten. So now i was staying in a great hostel which was really quite and clean and saving money to boot.

Started organising itinerary and tours to Giza, Heliopolis, Aswan etc. Turns out Mohamed is a travel advisor as well with many years experience (Is also used as a tour advisor for a couple of the larger hotels). I got lots of prices but the prices which Mohamed gave us were cheaper.

Lonely planet says don't prebook a tour to aswan, abu simbel, luxor via felucca etc. Cheaper to do it as you go. Mohamed promised a super cheap rate.

We went with his advice. Topic of conversation with most of the tourists we met along the way and on the Felucca was costs, any stomach problems, what to do, what to avoid; all the usual. Our price was cheaper than everyone elses and in a couple of cases by a couple of hundred dollars!! Planning was flawless. We were met at each leg of the tour as promised and everyone was great.

Only negative was the obligatory carpet factory stop we really didn't want to visit on the way to Giza but everyone needs to make a living and some were nice.

The trip was an excuse to celebrate my 40th birthday and Mohamed had even planned a surprise birthday cake for me on my birthday in Luxor.

There was an incident i witnessed which summed up my delightful experience at the Nubian to a T. Someone who was staying at the hostel was speaking with someone outside the hostel. They seemed to be getting on well. Mohamed saw the exchange and after watching over the hotel guest talked to the man in Egyptian asking him to leave.

He then warned her not to spend time with the man because he was know as someone who had ripped off tourists.

Mohamed and the Nubia were wonderful. They get my highest recommendation and its the ONLY place i will stay when next i hope to visit Cairo. A beautiful country and a unforgettable travel experience."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of June 2009

Quicky, But Goodie

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"In the sweltering heat of September in Cairo, Nubian was an oasis of air con, large rooms, and friendly staff. We had to kill a lot of mozzies in the room, but slept comfortably otherwise."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of January 2009

Great place Nubian Hostel

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"This hostel is central in the good part of downtown cairo, i found it to be very quite at night and i loved my room which was large and clean. The staff were helpful and friendly."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of November 2008

Hotels near Nubian Hostel

Stayed at Nubian Hostel? Share your insight.