Novotel Cairo El Borg

3 Saraya El Gezira street Zamalek, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Good

Nothing special.

"Stayed four nights in November 2009 with my father.

+Good location, about 15 minutes walk to the Egyptian Museum.
+Nice view from our room riverside room.
+Hot water boiler in the room.
+Descent bed, and the room was quite large.

-Boring breakfast, same things every day.
-Took a long time to check-in and check-out.
-Bathroom was quite tired although the hotel was newly renovated.
-The hamburger from the room service was small and not worth its price.
-Small swimming pool.
-Quite simply decorated room.

On the whole the hotel was a disappointment, the location was the best thing although I would have liked more restaurants in the vicinity. Would propably not stay there again. No alcohol in the hotel, you have to bring your own if you are thirsty."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of February 2010

Novotel Cairo el Borg, worst stay of our lives!

"This hotel has terrible management and customer service. We felt sympathetic towards the staff who are clearly poorly managed. If you want a place to relax from the excitement of Cairo, than this is not your Hotel.
I do not recommend booking any room at this Hotel. Novotel should have better training and standards.
We would have rather stayed in a hostel! We would recommend Any other Novotel in Egypt where the Management was 100x better."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of February 2010

It could have been better

"Firstly, the good things.

We had a river view room and the views were really nice. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was everything that we needed from a bathroom

The not so good things:-

Every person on staff seemed to be a private tour agency. Very quietly, they would announce how they could organise anything for us. It became annoying after a while

With our room, one of the bed reading lights was not working and the faulty bulb was nver replaced. One of the power points on the wall next to the bed also didn't work and the TV remote had no batteries and these were not replaced for over a day, even though we were promised that it would be done 'Now'. It would only have taken room service a bit of work to have these problems fixed but they never made an effort

My biggest grip though is there internet connection. On their website it does not mention that you have to pay for it, but it turns out costing 140 Egyptian pounds per day which is a considerable sum for internet, so I expected a decent connection. Not to be. The connection dropped out too many times and when it was connected it run very slowly. I think it is sad for a chain like Novotel to provide such a poor service.

This hotel is good if you want somewhere near the centre of Cairo but don't expect anything fancy"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of January 2010

Wow - Wonderful Service, New Rooms, Great Location, Amazing Value

"I was looking for a hotel in the $100 - 150 range, in the center of everything at a 4-5 star level. The Novotel El Borg was the only hotel that match my search criteria. I was very hesitant at first after reading a number of negative comments about this hotel since my parents will also be staying with me. In the end, I decided to give it a try. We have not been disappointed.

THE ROOMS: Firstly, the hotel was newly renovated, so the rooms are in perfect condition. My mom was extremely happy with it. It is just as new and comfortable as the rooms at the Radisson Blu where we stayed at a week ago, except the location is 100 times better. The rooms come with a new king size bed, and a hot water boiler allowing us the ability to make our own coffee and tea. I love the new carpets and furniture. During our stay, we were happy with housekeeping which we though did an excellent job.

THE SERVICE: The service was amazing. Right from the moment we checked in and throughout our stay, we found the staff to be extremely helpful. Yes, one or two of the staff members didn't speak English very well, but the managers did, and was always asking us how our stay was and trying to make it better. I had a flight at midnight, and wanted to see if I could check out later. The manager offered to allow me to keep my room until 8pm for an additional $50. They will even arrange a limo service to take you to the airport for $25. I'm extremely impressed.

SPA: We tried the spa services. The massage was okay, nothing to brag about, but the spa attendants were very friendly. This is an area that can definitely be improved.

THE LOCATION: The location is great! The hotel is in the middle of everything, so if needed, one can walk to many places. However, it is easy to get a cab to the main attractions within 10 - 20 Egyptian points (i.e., $2 - 4 US dollars). The river view is great, but we stayed in the city view, and that gave us a view of the El Borg (Cairo Towers) which is beautiful at night. The neighborhood was clean, and its also a 5 min walk to the river banks where there are many nice restaurants - an Italian restaurant, a Chillies, a Chinese restaurant and a Moroccan restaurant (which we ate at 3 nights in a row)!

VALUE: You can't beat the value of this place. We booked a room for $134 (tax included) and that compares with other similar hotels in the same general location which would have cost us $200 - 280 a night.

CONS: The only bad thing is they do charge for internet in the room (expect to pay an addition $20 - 25). Internet in the lobby is free if you use one of their Apple computers, but its limited to 20 mins per use. Internet connection however is good, but can be improved at peak times.

I highly recommend this hotel, and if I am ever back in Cairo, I will definitely stay her again."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of January 2010

Don't stay here.

"Service is bad, room was dirty, no alcohol in hotel, food is disappointing. It is a great location with a great view if you stay on the River Side. Also, it was nice to have the travel company in the hotel, but our stay was really pretty unpleasant overall for the price we paid."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of January 2010

Great Stay. Thoroughly enjoyed it

"I stayed at the Novotel Cairo El Borg for two nights - Superior Room, during by November 2009 trip around Egypt. Have to say I found the service and location and the staff to be excellent. The room was clean and spacious (compared to the other comparable rooms I stayed at in Luxor and Aswan) and the service was great!. Free internet in the lobby on 2 brand new Macs, and ATM in the lobby that also exchanged foreign currency for local currency (at a competitive rate!), swimming pool etc. The view from the top floor restaurant (though really more a cafe) was awesome. It was quiet and the views of the Nile and Cairo city were spectacular. The staff were great - they even organised the booking (and physcially went and paid for at the train station about 20 mins away) my sleeper train to Aswan (which saved me untold grief!).
The hotel food was good... (though nothing to write home about), but again, for the price it certainly was above expectations.
Downsides- the hotel is still undergoing renovation (at least on the outside - which does look a bit ordinary - but inside it is perfect - modern, contemporary interior. The other downside, as it seems with almost all Egyptian hotels, smoking is allowed in the lobby, so restaurant etc - and considering the compactness of the lobby, it can get a bit irritating for non smokers. The other downside was the hotel security - they xray hand luggage, person etc, but suitcases are too big for the machine, and so they dont bother, as they dont for the person either....though again, this seems to be the norm for the region. Otherwise, like the other reviewer, they were a bit cheap replacing the toiletries. Also dont turn the TV on whilst in the bathroom - there is a speaker in the bathroom which is linked to the TV and it is loud! :)

Overall, I would definately stay at the hotel again... I'll be honest - I am fussy. The rooms were the best (and cleanest) of my entire ME trip, newly renovated, the bathroom brand spanking new with modern accessories (though no hooks to hang things?). The hotel is located about 10min wak into central Cairo, an easy taxi to Giza etc and basically right on the Nile. Would definately recommend!"

• Travel date: Sat 19th of December 2009

Bad services but with a wonderfull view from the Nile

"I stayed 6 nights in this hotel. It was still under some refurbishment, but it was beautiful and comfortable. However, the problems with this hotel were many. It does not matter to have a comfortable room and wonderful view from the Nile if services are not working well.
1. One of the managers in charge was rude, never smiled, and I saw him almost getting into a physical fight with a guest. He even got hit in the face. I don’t know who was right or not, because they were discussing in Arabic, but please, that CAN NEVER HAPPEN in a Novotel lobby! It was very uncomfortable.
2. The internet was gone for 48 hours! I had to connect in another hotel! In the first night the rude manager said it was not a problem in the hotel, but all the others hotels around had Internet. In the second night, he finally accepted that it was a wire problem inside the hotel. Please take responsibility! If you are a business traveler, be careful.
3. The rest of the staff was incredible friendly, but unfortunately, with very poor English.
4. Room service was weak, I called twice for laundry and nobody ever came. I called once for a wakeup call, and they never call me to wake me up and some other small problems.
5. The cleanliness of the room was weak! The maid forgot cleaning stuff in my room, I had a woman hair in my bathroom after the maid cleaned. Poor.
6. For two days they did not put soap and shampoo in my bathroom. I had to call room service for that.
7. ATM machine did not work for the 6 days while I was there.
8. No business center
It does not matter if you have a very friendly staff (except for that manager) and a comfortable hotel with a wonderfully view if the services are not working properly. It is a new hotel and I hope they will sort that out soon, but I was disappointed."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of November 2009

Nice hotel with some small updating and cleaning required

"Pros:
*comfortable bed
*nice modern hotel
*excellent food
*free use of Mac computer with internet
*located right near the bridge so easy to get downtown
*gorgeous view from the beautiful rooftop cafe

Cons:
*bathroom was dirty when we arrived - seemed like the cleanup was unfinished as we did not even have a garbage can
*the hotel looks brand new, but parts of the room seemed to be recycled/reused (everything in the bathroom, some furniture, etc.). For the price and the fact that it's supposed to be a brand new hotel, it didn't really live up to expectations"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of October 2009

Still Under Construction

"I have stayed at the hotel by 01 th June but unfortunately its a big disappointment to give €130 for a room at a hotel still under construction . It is not acceptable to announce that the hotel has opened but saying that many facilities are not opened yet when you arrive to the lobby. As I am visiting Cairo every month for business ,all I need was at least a proper internet connection but 3 guys worked 2 days and could solve the problem at the room web connections.
Service also terrible as the staff are unexperienced and are not able to solve problems.

I am not willing or thinking to stay in any Novotel as I found this fake opening is unethical"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of June 2009

Update open mid to late April

Good

"We were booked for April 1 and when we arrived they were still working on the hotel (fresh paint smell, windows need replacing). However the lobby is essentially done and it will be a stunner when it is finished. The manager indicated a week, but from what I saw I would say 3 weeks is a better timeframe."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of April 2009

Hotels near Novotel Cairo El Borg

Stayed at Novotel Cairo El Borg? Share your insight.

Novotel Cairo El Borg is also called