We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

New Palace Hotel

17, Suleiman Al-Halaby, Cairo 1000 Egypt

Nice place

Good

"Me and my friend want a hotel affordable and well located. We find it at New Palace Hotel. More of that, the staff was incredibly helpfull."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of May 2010

Best location, best staff

"The best hotel in Cairo...the staff is very friendly and the location is ideal. You should use their services to book a tour in Egypt, best price and they will make sure everything go find for you. I really recommend. Good vacation !!!
This is not a 5 star hotel but for quality / price the best

ps ask for room on first flore"

• Travel date: Thu 8th of April 2010

Great location with great wall painting

Good

"The hotel arranged to pick me up from the airport and take me to the hotel. When you first see it from the outside you might wonder what you have gotten yourself into, but once inside the walls are beautifully painted and the lobby is quite inviting.

The room I received was very large and very nice with a private bathroom with hot water and a great balcony. I am not sure why but I was asked if I could move to another room, when I looked at the other it was not as nice, no balcony and only a small window, so I declined and stayed in the better room.

The beds and sheets were acceptable. The location was close to allot of restaurants and shops. There is a McDonalds not too far away in case your tummy needs something familiar.

The hotel also had a nice cafe with really great food cooked fresh to order and the prices were very cheap.

Jamaica was great he booked all my tours and was always there if I had a question. He also gave me his cell phone in case I got lost.

The only complaint I would have is there was one person at the front desk that was always on his cell phone and not as friendly as everybody else.

If I return to Cairo I would book with this Hotel again."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of February 2010

My experience was good and right, no serious problems

Good

"Nothing like the reviews before mine. Hostelworld reviews more accurately describe this budget hotel. They were very friendly, accommodating, and had maps, info, and strive to do a good job for new arrivals though I was on my way out at the end of my Egypt trip. The room was very spacious, had cold A/C, and a very weak and mean very weak water pressure, hot shower. No printing available as they ran out of ink cartridge. Bedding was filthy upon check in, but they corrected that problem very well when I told and showed them. Very good with arranging airport transportation and other things like a dinner river cruise. Tamer, guest relations, is a good man. They have a rooftop restaurant with very reasonable prices and a friendly lady serving food and drink. WiFi is available that's good enough to Skype on. No hassles nor animosity towards tourists as is all too common for Egypt. Easy walking distance to that famous museum displaying the golden treasures of King Tut as well as thousands of other things you've never seen that were unearthed from the sands of ancient Egypt. No cameras allowed in museums, inside pyramids, and tombs. I highly recommend New Palace to new arrivals. They even told me the correct taxi fares to be paying. Don't try to negotiate with drivers for local car rides despite no or broken meters; just get in, tell him where you are going, and pay the going rate at the end of the ride. 15 Le to Khan El Khalili market. 7 pounds from Giza station to the pyramids each way.

Only problem was the mosque nearby blasting very loud 4:30AM Allah chants though mounted megaphones as well as it being in a very dirty dark part of town though no hassle nor trouble in this local area was experienced, but do look out for dangerous traffic. Non-tourist type of clothes shopping, McDonalds, cinema, and fresh fruit market as well as printing are an easy 10 minute walk away."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of October 2009

Stay away

"This hotel (??) is a major scam. The rooms are pretty basic and had cockroaches. Bathrooms are primitive and one extra decent gesture by the staff is meant to make you feel obligated to them. The guy who arranges tours for them is called Metallica and all the information that he gave us was an absolute lie. He made attempts everyday to cheat us on the tours he had arranged. They have a cab driver whose name I forget - this guy was drunk, over worked and fell asleep on the highway to Alexandria. When we objected to his driving, he was extremely rude. He too made a daily effort for us to visit his friend's restaurants where he could get commission and when we refused, turned nasty. This hotel is expensive and ok if you are on a budget. But be very very firm and clear on what you want. Otherwise its a daily headache dealing with Metallica who is an absolute fraud"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of May 2009

No thanks

"I understand New Palace is under new management, perhaps that's why it wasn't what I'd been led to expect by friends who'd stayed there the previous year.

I do not want to be unkind so will just write as I found the place.

This is really a hostel trying to be a hotel - one guy introduced himself as "Head of Guest Relations"??? (and wanted to sell us tours!) Staff were friendly but did push their tours - a lot.

There was no "scene" there for travellers, no other backpackers seemed to be staying there. There were Egyptians and Africans who did not seem very friendly to us girls. There were one or two members of staff who were a little too friendly to us though.

The breakfast was the usual bread and jam, you had to pay extra for coffee instead of tea! We had one evening meal there and thought it good value as it came with salad and tahina but then we found the cost was added on so it wasn't a cheap eat after all!

Rooms were large, airy, clean, nice bathroom with lots of hot water, lovely comfortable beds.... but I woke up itching in the morning with little bites all over my feet and legs.

New Palace is in a good location for shopping and the train station. It was expensive and I didn't feel it was value for money at 120 LE for twin room & bathroom with breakfast.

Would I stay there again? I don't think so."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of December 2008

I miss it!

"My friend and I stayed at New Palace while looking for an apartment for the summer. The staff was super helpful. Reda and Makmoud are awesome. When we got violently ill (NOT from anything we ate at New Palace), the staff sent hot lemon water to our room. Also, when my friend's wallet fell out of her purse onto the stairs, they returned it to us as soon as they discovered it. It began to feel like home. The rooftop restaurant is great. Prices were reasonable. Rooms seemed clean. Offered internet, laundry service, room service, etc. We were very sad to leave it and we actually went back on a couple of occasions to visit while still in Cairo. The only negative was the one guy who worked there who flirted, which we thought unprofessional and inappropriate."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of October 2008

new palace hotel (hostel)

"I have to say, we were happy to have a clean double room and a balcony. Ok, breakfast was really not something, but you have to know, almost nowhere in hostel's in Cairo you will not get a decent breakfast like we are used to have at home. Also food outside is so cheap, we never had any coments.. Coffe was excelent :) The stuff is friendly, the only thing is they are just real egyption's, trying to sell what thay can. In the end the free hour riding a camel can be very expencive.. but. this is just a tourictic Egypt. About the room I have to say.. well ok, they can be loud sometimes at night (they are not alone.. please.this city is alive all the time!), also the aircondition can be noise, but after all... let's be honest. You can not expect everything perfect for 6 or 7 € a night. With my experience in Cairo I have to say.. it is a hostel I felt safe and comfortable and was worth every penny.
For those who need all the comfort they can get, I would say : please choose a hotel next time, but under 35 € a night you have a poor choice, because almost every where is the same, even worse than here.
So...guys.. all the best also in future!
See you again sometimes soon!"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of December 2007

Not a good stay!!

"Having travelled considerably and stayed in many budget rooms..Im afraid I have to say that I wouldn't be visiting the new palace again and would hesitate to recommend it to fellow travellers for the following reasons: - Welcome was abrupt and no assistance was offered with cases. - Breakfast was VERY basic (3 rolls and jam) and served from a very dirty shack on the roof. - Restaurant...What restaurant?? had no menu and only one meal choice which was served from same unclean shack as breakfast, while it didn't kill us eating there Im very surprised..no cloths, cold food, no facilities etc!! - Rooms were ok, basic as you would expect but generally serviceable. Aircon was fine but noisy! Make sure you report damages in the room on arrival or you will be charged for them later,we learnt the hard way!!Cleaner was friendly but didn't seem to do much cleaning. -Take own towels as they had run out when we were there and were given a pillowcase to dry on for 7 people! No toilet rolls provided either. -Matresses..! Eughhh very hard, very dirty and bigger than bed..just foam and not comfy at all! - Noise. Very noisy downtown location although we had expected this! Hotel staff unfortunatly didn't go to bed until about 4am and were yelling and talking loudly and slamming doors all night. Not a great place to stay if you are a light sleeper. -balconies..def not high enough rail (knee high) for a 6th floor hotel. Couldn't let kids out there at all. - staff, with the exception of the lovely man in the restaurant and metallica we found the staff very very rude, abrupt and unhelpful. When a child in our party badly cut her head and needed medical treatment the reception staff were not interested in the slightest, they directed us with a bleeding child to a list by the internet cafe. Did not offer any advice, assistance or even use of the phone. Our taxi driver ended up providing all required assistance. -Safe, is a drawer on reception desk!! - LIFT..not for the feint hearted! VERY old, VERY unreliable, Door didn't shut, no light (so pitch black) frankly very very scary!! Alternative is 12 flights of very dirty, stairs with broken windows and handrails! - Final word of advice..make sure you settle your bill upon arrival or you will be faced with a triple bill at the end of the week (again we learnt this the hard way)even though we had our booking confirmation which clearly stated amounts due we were told it was an error and surrounded by men shouting in arabic, as lone female travellers with children we felt very threatend and ended up parting with a considerable amount of money which we were not due to pay."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of November 2007

Hotels near New Palace Hotel

Stayed at New Palace Hotel? Share your insight.