Mandarin Hostel

8 Ibrahim Nagib Garden City, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Very Good Hostel In Cairo, Egypt

"My family and I stayed at this hostel, Hani owner was very good host. David who worked at hostel arranged excellent tour for us with Yousseff who we would highly recommend as tour guide, he went above and beyond to guide us through the tour. David gave us very good tips about area. Area safe many police hostel in embassy area. Don't let bldg fool you when you get to hostel on 3rd floor it is great, rooms was very clean and beds very comfortable. We would definitely stay here again if travelling to Cairo. Good budget hotel. Only taxi's have hard time to find for first time. Arrange for pick up at airport from Hani. Thank you to all that made our stay excellent"

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of July 2009

Pleasant, secure and central location

Good

"The one star hotel is located in Garden City a colonial designed suburb approximately 30 mins by taxi from the airport. The suburb has seen better days but hosts the major embassies, UK, US, Canadian, Belguim etc. and swarms with armed police. The hotel is hard to locate being in an office block which contains two banks and an (international) ATM. The latter maybe useful as the hotel only accepts cash. A free pick up service is offered from the airport which it is adviseable to accept. The hotel is a short walk from Sadat Square (Metro) and two major hotels the Shepheard and Semiramis Intercontinental and some small shops that sell water and other necessary items. No eating places are located close to the hotel and the hotel only serves a limited breakfast although the kitchen can be used to prepare coffee and cold snacks if you take your own food. A costa coffee shop (equivelant) is about 15 mins walk away across Sadat Square and at the back of the American University. A large supermarket (Spinneys) is located in the City Stars Mall some 30 mins by taxi (EGP20-30 one way). The hotel is clean by Egyptian standards, some rooms have an ensuite, toliet, shower and handbasin, are air conditioned and although a little small (bed, wardrobe and bedside cabinet) are adequate. The small TV has multiple channels in many languages (BBC, CNN, Star, Al Jazeera, etc.) and the room is serviced daily with clean towels and the floor washed (esentiai in the dusty summer environment). A free WiFi service is also available. The desk is manned 24 hours and security is not a problem. The stength of this hotel comes from the GM (Hany ) and staff (AMR and others) who all speak some English and are very helpful. Unlike some (but not all) of their fellow citizens where there is a tendency to ask for money for any service provided including street directions this was not the case with this hotel. There was no pressure to take any trips or go shopping (these are on offer), indeed as I stayed over four nights a free trip to the Pyramids was provided (excluding entrance fee) but when I asked to extend the trip to other sites I was quoted a very reasonable price and an English speaking and very knowledegeable driver was provided.. Overall this hotel presents real value for money and its strenghts lies not in its location or faciities but in its caring management and staff. Thanks to all but especially to Hany and Amr for a great stay."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of July 2009

Don't expect too much, it's a Hostel not a Hotel. But it's a nice way to meet people, enjoy ur trip & still save money.

Good

"Nice hostel, specially if u book an private ensuite. Bedroom a little dusty, but still very clean to egyptian standards. Friendly staff, nice breakfast, simple kitchen, 3rd floor but with lift, shower with hot and strong water (pleasant surprise), free pick up at airport (important, it wouldn't have been really easy to find). I arrived at airport about 3am and the driver from hostel was there waiting for me. Don't expect too much, it's a Hostel not Hotel.
Some tips about Cairo: If u are travelling on your own, better take tours the hostel offers u. Forget about tourism information center, there is none in Cairo and if u ask for information on streets, sb always try to sell sth, specially "tours". Better get some map before get in Cairo, u won't get anyone over there. It's a safe city, even to a female alone, just avoid people on the streets as they"ll try to talk to u and sell stuffs, just don't answer and walk straight, no worries. VERY IMPORTANT: before leave to Egypt find out address and phone numbers of your embassy in Cairo, just in case u need any help, I wouldn't really trust / count with the police in any situation.
Two days in Cairo, enough! Take the tour to the Pyramids (of course), ask at hostel for Sarah as your guide, she's very good, and I didn't have any problem of being dragged in to souvenir shops. U CAN'T MISS THE TOUR TO DESERT! IT'S JUST AMAZING!!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 10th of May 2009

Good rooms, good price and exceptional service

"This hostel was fantastic to stay in. The manager Hany took care of trips and tours in Luxor, Cairo and Alexandria. I feel like I've seen almost all the best places to see in Egypt because of his help. Egypt is not a place that you can just explore on your own. Without knowing the culture or the language, you'll find your stay more difficult than you would expect. Hany helped us with tours all over Egypt and if there were any problems at all in any way, they were immediately attended to with a smile. We could not have seen so much with his help. Unlike many places, they don't try to rip you off. Decent rooms, all night desk service, it's really close to all the Embassies and it's located in the heart of Cairo ten minutes walking distance from the Museum. Location, price and outstanding service, Juliana Hostel is definitely your best bet for visiting Egypt. No matter what part of the country you wish to see Juliana is your safest headquarters.

Sincerely,
Waldo Mirambeau,
Miami, Florida
Currently living & teaching China"

• Travel date: Fri 8th of May 2009

Decent price for Cairo

"The Juliana Hotel is hard to find, so if you can arrange for airport pick-up I would recommend doing that. Make sure you pick up a business card when you arrive so you can show it to the taxi driver to get you home at the end of the day. That being said, it is in a quiet area of Cairo and walking around there feels very safe.

Things I liked:
Free computer with internet.
Large room.
Secure location - we left our bags here with no problems/concerns about theft.
Cheap price!
Central location.

Areas for improvement:
We arrived midday and the staff who greeted us had minimal English to help us check-in.
We forgot that breakfast (bread + boiled egg & jam) was included and didn't realize we had to ask for it in the morning.
Though we had booked an ensuite room for the beginning & end of our trip, there was no ensuite room available for our last night - Hany did arrange for us to stay in a nearby hotel for the same rate though.
The breakast room/lounge/reception area could be larger so multiple parties could have breakfast at the same time and provide a social area to interact with other travellers.

I had heard that Hany was awesome, but didn't meet him until our last night at the hotel. I'd probably stay here again..."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of May 2009

Incredible staff

"If you’re looking for a low budget hotel in Cairo, and someone who takes care of you and allows you to visit Egypt without worrying, this place is for you.
First of all, Julianna hotel is located in a relatively calm area (although this word doesn’t fit with “Cairo”…), and close to downtown. The rooms are simple but clean and comfortable, just enough to spend a good night. But what highlight this hotel among the others, is definitely the staff which run this place and its family atmosphere. The manager Hani and his fellow Ahmed have received awards for “Best Staff” for evident reasons. If you ask for it, Hani can plan a complete trip for you, corresponding to what you want to do and to see, for a very fair price. He will take care of everything and you can then travel with peace of mind: reservations, transportation and visits, all will be organized and modifiable on request. No bad surprise, no hassle, permanent smile and friendly attitude: satisfaction guaranteed!"

• Travel date: Mon 6th of April 2009

Like a building site & felt so unsafe

"I booked 7 days at this hotel & only got to see the outside & what you may call the lobby area. I can tell you that I was not impressed at all with the sights, my friends & I were very tired as you can imagine & just wanted to go to our rooms & rest when we arrived but much to our horror this was not the case & we spent the next day searching for a hotel to stay in..
It was unders construction & just seemed like a death trap & buliding site, it wasn't a place 5 young females would feel safe going out at night & coming back to, the hotel may be situated in the heart of Cairo unformatunately it was not an experience I would like to repeat. I wasn't looking for a grand 5 star but a habitable hotle with clean, safe surroundings & facilities. I have only one poistive thing to say, the manager Hany was very good & helpful but sadly that was not sufficient enough as this was the beginning of what really spoilt our holiday. We didn't stay there but got taken to another hotel (Garden new palace) which was terrible."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of March 2009

Hotels near Mandarin Hostel

Stayed at Mandarin Hostel? Share your insight.

Mandarin Hostel is also called