We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Le Passage Cairo

Cairo International Airport Road El Horreya-Heliopolis, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Good

A comfortable and well equipped hotel

Good

"We stayed at Hotel Heliopolis after our plane was diverted by B.A. on a long-haul flight and we were stranded in Cairo for 2 nights in October 2007. We were allocated Room 4028, which overlooked the pool and gardens. It was a very nice, quiet room and was well equipped. Hotel Heliopolis is a lovely hotel and very comfortable with many facilities and shops on the ground floor. The staff were very polite, friendly and helpful. They were very well staffed, organized and efficient when dealing with us, especially when over 300 of us descended on them at 4am in the morning. We were all very tired, ratty and not very happy at being dumped in Cairo but our rooms were allocated very quickly so that we could get to bed. The hotel is close to the airport rather than the city centre and I think it would be more suitable for a business stay rather than for tourists. It had two or three restaurants and the food was very good. We were supposed to have been on our way to Mauritius when we were diverted to Cairo and we did not really want to be there with no luggage or money but, all in all, if we stayed there under normal circumstances I think we would have really enjoyed our stay at this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of November 2007

a nightmare !!!

"don't spend your time in this hotel!! try to imagine: after a daytour we wish to have a "good sleep": impossible! why? because of a wedding starting around 6pm till 4/5 am!! arabic music during all the night,
and when you ask to the reception if it is an hotel they answer: of course! but tonight there is a party!! NEVER AGAIN!"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of November 2007

Worst Hotel Ever!!!

"They claim themselves to be a 5 star...it's more like a two star. The lobby area is pretty, but their rooms (so call bungalows) reminded me of a room from a cheap las vegas motel. first, it was a maze finding our room, and the actual rooms were shabby with old with run down furniture. The customer service there....well, there WASN't ANY!!! Everyone was so incompetent...from the people at the reception desk to the managers!!! when i asked for a pen, the reception guy just looked and smirked at me and said "wait a minute". after five minutes, it took me to angrily say "how long does it take to wait for a pen"!!! before he handed me his! (can't believe a five star hotel can't afford more pens!!) We asked the manager to use his computer to print off an itinerary for our flight for our guide as his computer is the only one connected to the printer...he says he needs to work on his computer for an hour...10minutes later, he's chatting with his workers, so we go up to him ready to ask if we can use his computer since he's not, he hurrily returns to his desk when he sees us. I wait at the bakery area, right in front of the service girl to order some ice cream...she ignores me and continues to talk to three of her colleagues who were at the counter as well. My husband got fed up and interrupted their conversation...the result, i got a tablespoon scoop of ice cream for 5 euros! It's bad enough that the food there sucks like crazy, but for breakfast, My husband had to walk to the waiter, get his coffee poored into his cup and walk back to our table. I almost triped on a pile of pepper that was under our table during breakfast. I went to go tell the waiter as it was hazardous for others...he kept on saying "I know, I know"...My husband and I moved to another table, and 20minutes after, I went to the manager as nothing was cleaned up yet!!!
This hotel is soooo horrible!!! Nothing about it is good. There's so many better ones in Cairo so definitely shop around!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 17th of August 2007

Away from the hustle

"We stayed at this Movenpick 1 night in May 2007 while we were in transit. This is one of the best hotels we’ve stayed. It is a 5 star hotel that boasts all the superb services synonymous with a 5 star hotel.

The rooms were spacious and clean. The service was excellent. The hotel also offers free transport into Cairo and Giza and small tours can be booked at the hotel"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of May 2007

Close to airport, but far from tourist attractions

"Selected by Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) for one night both at the beginning and end of tour because of proximity to airport. Not a good location for sight-seeing with the pyramids over 20 miles away and the Citadel and downtown bazaars probably a good 8 miles away. Rooms were clean and maintained. Impressive lobby. Breakfasts and dinner (buffet optional) at the Orangerie were good, nothing remarkable. Be careful when signing your bill in the restaurant. One member of our group was handed and signed a $60 bill intended for a party of 4 sitting next to her. They relented ONLY when they found her original bill."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of March 2007

Fabulous Reception Area

Good

"Only stayed here for one night. Arrived in the dark & left early morning while it was still dark. Reception is quite busy & looks very smart. Lots of staff to book you into your room but they were not too friendly & long delay before finally being shown to the room (considering we arrived at 9pm I would have thought room would have been ready)! Rooms are quite small, but the bed was the most comfortable one I have slept in. We had a view of the pool which looked fab but not enough time to use it. I would go to this hotel again to see what it has to offer in the daylight."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of March 2007

Surley and Incompetant

"Found room to be tired and shabby. Handle on shower fell off when used. Telephone did not work in our room so early morning wakeup call was made to the bathroom phone.

We were a party of 8 whose order for dinner was taken promptly. However 45 minutes later we were still awaiting our drinks and no sign of food. When we asked for some attention regarding this we were met with arrogance. Presented with WARM glasses with a flourish.
Wine waiter had arguement with waitress in our presence and we believe that the wine had been decanted into a bottle (red wine bottle cork had no colour on it and did not make the usual sound when uncorked).

Food however was good when it finally arrived after about one and a half hours.

At breakfast we showed ourselves to a table as there was nobody there to do so. We were then reprimanded by the waiter for doing this. As we were being ignored we attempted to pour ourselves a cup of coffee from the pot and were in trouble for this as well.

From our observation it would appear that whilst there are adequate staff to serve they are totally disorganised.

Luckily we were only at this hotel for one night. From conversation with other customers it would appear that our treatment was not an isolated case."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of March 2007

skip the food

"Overnight at the Movenpick Heliopolis left us with indigestion: the food at the "Italian" restaurant was literally inedible. Stick to the ice creams.... maybe the hamburgers. Bathroom needs renewing: chipped tiles, and skimpy towels."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of February 2007

Convenient to airport, but nothing else nearby

"This hotel is well-managed, clean and has several onsite activities if you need to kill some time as you transfer flights at the Cairo Airport. It has several restaurants, (European/Egyptian food, Chinese, and Italian and a lobby bar. Also has a pool and poolside restaurant. Also fitness center including sauna and steamroom. Three or four small shops, but not much for shopping. There is nothing else nearby and is about 25 minutes into Cairo if there is no traffic, which is rare. Otherwise, count on an hour to hour and a half. There is a free shuttle twice a day into downtown. Only other hotel at the airport is a Novotel, which I did not go to.

Rooms were comfortable. Non-smoking rooms available. Hairdryers in room, mini-bar was not stocked.

Nothing much for kids to do here other than the nice size pool, but in winter it is too cold for that."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of January 2007

Liked the setup

Good

"We spent one night on New Year's eve at the hotel on our way back to the USA. We were pleasantly surprised by the setup and looks of the hotel. It is definitely nice. We did not attend any of the gala parties because of our limited time but ate at the Azure restaurant which was quite nice. The staff was helpful and friendly. Rented a limousine from the hotel to go to Memphis-Sakarra. They ended up charging us a lot more than originally negotiated, that was an unpleasant experience. If you are going to rent a car from them please get the rates in writting ahead of time. I will recommend this hotel to anyone on their way in or out of Cairo due to its proximity to the airport."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of January 2007

great

"it was a great holiday, im going back in september, i got off on the wrong foot with the staff they were a bit rude at first but i just put them in theyre place.
i was begged not to go because people had mentioned a virus, but i had already pre booked, i went and i enjoyed every minute, it was fantastic, there could be a few changes, the food is a bit bland and it could be of more quality, and the service could b a lot quicker."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of May 2010

Avoid Castle tours - cario int airport

"We arrived in Cario Airport and met an agent from Castle tours. It all started well. We went up to their offices and designed our tour package for our 2 children and 2 adults. The first day went as planned. The second day our 8 seater people carrier changed to a 5 seater car, driver,guide and 4 of us all squeezed in. After complaining they switched back to the 8 seater people carrier.

Our guide kept ripping us off - he would say that he was not allowed into one of the exhibits and ask one of the locals who were hanging aruond to take us for a tour and then had to tip them.

The drivers were good but our guide - Ahmed,`the worst ever. One the second day we paid for a trip to the Suez Canal - we took a 2 hour drive up there and needed our passports to cross over. He forgot to tell us about this and we could not go over the canal.

Our guide, took us into a number of off the tour places - were we were expected to buy things and were I saw him receive kick backs from th owners whenever we bought things.

The Movenpick was a good experience for us - good food and friendly staff. Clean accommodation. "

• Travel date: Sun 12th of October 2008

Hotels near Le Passage Cairo

Stayed at Le Passage Cairo? Share your insight.

Le Passage Cairo is also called