King Hotel

20 Abdel Rehim Sabri Street Dokki, Cairo 002 Egypt

Good

Please, don´t go

"I had stayed one night in this hotel because I am going to live one year in Egypt and while I am searching for a flat I had to go here.
Honestly, nothing was good:
Room: very old and not really clean(what a Spaniard stands for clean). In my friend´s room there was a cockroach so she got changed, not in mine. Window didn´t close properly, telephone didn´t work, sheets with stains...
Toilet: flush dindn´t work properly and cold water didn´t work and I realized once I had soap all around my body...so I burnt.
Price: honestly, 45 USD is a lot of money in Cairo...so you expect something better.

As the previous request I don´t understand how there are still touroperators going to this hotel...they swindle tourists."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of October 2008

You get what you pay for

"I stayed at the King Hotel as part of a Gecko's tour so spent around 4 nights here before, during and after the tour.

Location
------------
The hotel has an OK location - it is not in 'downtown' Cairo, but across the river in Doqqi but is close to the Sheraton and has a few local amenities such as internet cafes, supermarkets and ATMs.

There is a metro station nearby to get you in to the heart of the city for £1LE or it takes about 15 minutes to walk in. It also has a few foreign embassies very close by so there are usually quite a few armed police around, and although it is out of the way feels fairly safe.

Rooms
---------
I stayed in a few different rooms which varied slightly, although all would be described as basic.

The air conditioning isn't great, but is bearable. The bathrooms are very basic and the hotel does seem to suffer from a cockroach problem, so expect to see a few running around. All rooms I stayed in had (old) fridges and (old & small) TVs.

Staff
------
The staff are pretty helpful and friendly, although I wouldn't recommend booking a taxi or services from reception as they appear to take a commission on this which ends up making them very expensive in comparison to what you can negotiate for yourself on the street.

Food
-------
One of the best elements of the hotel is the rooftop bar which is a nice place to spend an evening and does offer good views. The small amount of food I tried at the hotel was nice enough and not too expensive. The breakfast is reasonable with boiled eggs, beans, salad dips and bread being the main things on offer.

Overall
-----
Having stayed in a few budget hotels in Egypt the King Hotel is OK in comparison. If you are expecting the quality of a 3* UK or US hotel then you will be very disappointed and I wouldn't base a long stay in Cairo here.

However, if you are looking for a cheap place to crash for a few days, have travelled on a budget before and are willing to substitute comfort for price then it's OK. You'll probably see a few cockroaches but you get what you pay for."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of September 2008

Aviod if you can!!!!

"The only good things about this hotel are the price and the rooftop bar. We stayed as part of a Geckos tour and the first night, after a long flight to Cairo, we had roaches all over our bathroom. We left that night but then came back with the tour - second room also had roaches. We killed one and didn't see any others but smelled bug spray (hope it doesn't give me cancer or some other deadly disease) all the time. The last night of the tour I negotiated a price to stay two extra nights with the manager and we agreed and paid. The next day he said "oh no, you have two people in the room, we want more money") - this was soooo absurd because I told him we had two people in the room and he KNEW we had two people in the room and he tried to shake us down for more money - not shocking in Egypt I guess but very upsetting to us - we said that fine we would check out because we had a deal and did not want to pay extra and he REFUSED to refund our money for that night!!!! What a crook!! I cannot believe how badly they treat western tourists here - like we are complete idiots.

The location is not very good, but is close to an internet cafe and the hotel does have wireless if you sit in the stairwell. Air conditioning barely works. Overall, not recommended, they try to cheat you and bugs everywhere. For some reason Geckos and a couple other tour companies keep this place in business - terrible......"

• Travel date: Wed 25th of June 2008

Very basic

"Stayed at this hotel at the start of Imaginative Traveller Nile Rover tour. Unfortunately it really was basic. The area was not exactly pleasant and we made the mistake of taking the wrong route back to the hotel one afternoon through piles of rubbish on the streets.

There were ants in the bathroom and both bedroom & bathroom were way past their best.

The staff were fairly friendly especially the doorman but overall I would give this one a miss"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of May 2008

Basic but fine for a night or two

"Stayed in the King Hotel as part of the Imaginative Traveller River & Reef tour. Good sized rooms but very basic. Bathrooms not exactly modern but were clean. Staff at hotel very friendly and helpful. Location was quite good too but you still need to get taxis to all the sights. This hotel is fine for a night or two but I wouldnt base myself here for the duration of a stay in Cairo."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of March 2008

awful

"We spent two days in cairo after originally going to sharm el shiek

The beds were dirty there was small insects under the pillows had to have the sheets changed but the new sheets were not great.

bathroom filthy had to keep slippers on inside shower hard to belive it is a 3 star hotel

didnt even bother to look at breakfast

This was a big dissapointment."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of March 2008

Bad Unclean Hotel

"Really I was disapointed during my stay in this hotel unclean old furniture unexperinced staff low quality for price low quality food the only positive was to be near to cairo center"

• Travel date: Tue 12th of September 2006

basic, but pleasant!

Good

"I stayed in a twin room at the King Hotel in August and September of 2004. We were there as part of a 20 day tour of Egypt, staying there for around four nights during those 20 days.
As mentioned by another reviewer the hotel does seem to be down a dodgy side street, however this should not put you off. The hotel is very well located for those who wish to wander Cairo (there is a good little corner shop just up the road selling everything from water to hookah molasses) and for those who prefer to use taxi's the hotel staff were more than happy to negotiate the fare with a driver on your behalf.
Our room was a generous size, with two comfy single beds and a bathroom with a W.C., sink and shower/bath. It was fairly small, but more than adequate and totally functional. We had a large fridge, large window and colour satellite television as well as the usual bedroom furniture. Our view looked out to the front of the hotel, and was suprisingly pleasant for a street facing window in a city of that size.
Breakfast was the only meal I ate in the hotel, and altough not all of it was to my taste there was a lot of choice. It was very much a buffet breakfast which I prefer to being served, up for grabs were an abundance of salady items, bread, cheese, pastries, fruit juice, coffee, tea, and the usual jams and marmalades and lots of other things as well.
When we were there the hotel was undergoing some refurbishment, so I can only imagine it will have improved since my stay.
The cleaning, reception, doormen and all other staff were very welcoming, friendly and obliging, as were most of those I encountered in Cairo. They were always happy to assist with any request or problem experienced.
There were couple of seating areas, one in the lobby and one near what I think was a small restaurant. Cold drinks were available in these areas, and it was possible to buy large (1 litre) cold bottles of water at the hotel before going out - handy if you're in a hurry!
I also loved the roof-top bar at the hotel. Reached by either walking or taking the lift as high as it would go and then walking up an extra flight of stairs it was fully open air, with lovely views and a relaxing breeze. A fantastic place to unwind after a day out in Cairo. The staff there were also welcoming, charming and helpful.
The only problem we experienced with the hotel was on the first night when I accidently broke the lock on our door. The hotel staff had it fixed within a short while, and we were adopted by our lovely Egyptian next door neighbours. They heard the kerfuffle and came out to try to help, and then took us into their room and shared their meal with us whilst phoning down to reception and telling them to come and sort the door every few minutes.
I realise this has been a really lengthy review, but I really did enjoy my stay and I would happily stay at the hotel again. I adored my time in Egypt, and I have never been made to feel so welcome by locals in any city, or country for that matter, I have visited. I cannot wait for my second visit in March!"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of January 2006

Safe - right next to Syrian Embassy

"If you're worried about security the King Hotel is the place to stay. We were actually booked in a much fancier western hotel but our local guide said if you want to guarantee your safety stay at the King Hotel since it's right next to the Syrian Embassy no nut case is going to bomb it.

If you're used to luxury this hotel will jar you as it is basic hotel. If you're a lonely planet/rough guide type of person this hotel will be fine with touches beyond what you get in hostels.

It is a bit out of the way but only down the street from I think the Hilton or Hyatt. The KFC where the deaf and mute work is 3 blocks away and is something to really experience as they don't even have that in the US.

Beds are hard but we never had trouble sleeping and with the Syrian embassy right next door it was quiet. Views are interesting since you're in a neighborhood setting and can see on your balcony how locals live and also see what the Syrians are up too - which is pretty ironic. Note the Syrian guards are armed with machine guns - don't goof off with them.

Bathroom towels are pretty well used but are fairly adequate. Toliet and bath facilites are bare minimum but work! Oh also has TV and it got stations and western programs - like ER! It was pretty funny to see ER in Arabic.

Hotel staff is ok but go to this place only if you are worried about your security and/or are a self-sufficient traveller."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of October 2005

Nice, plain hotel

"Stayed in the King Hotel in Cairo in Februay 2003. I know that's a while ago and I would'nt bother writing a review were it not for the fact that there are no other reviews at the time of writing.

The King Hotel is plain, clean, functional, and in general a good budget hotel. It's three star, but by European standards would be closer to a two star. The room I stayed in was pleasant enough apart from the view - it looked out onto of all things a large piece of plywood painted to resemble foliage. Behind this was a large building site and a mosque (the muezzin woke me up without fail crying out "Allahu akbar!" the call to prayer, every few hours!)

The restaurant in the King is also plain and functional but I enjoyed my breakfast there each day. Dinner however did'nt appeal in view of the fact that the Sheraton Hotel is around the corner offering fantastic dining for next to nothing by Irish standards.

The staff in the King were friendly and did their best to help with taxis etc, and all of them speak good English. The location is good but it's down what appears at first to be a dodgy side street. DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS. Cairo is extremely safe - you would'nt believe how many police there are and you are never out of shouting range of one of them. They are also extremely concious of keeping tourists safe. Even the darkest little alleyway in Cairo will have a policeman patrolling it - sometimes it appears each street has its own policeman!

All in all, this hotel is for the budget concious, but if that is what you are looking for I would recommend it."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of October 2005

Hotels near King Hotel

Stayed at King Hotel? Share your insight.