JW Marriott Hotel Cairo

Ring Road- Mirage City Box 427, Heliopolis, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Excellet

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Amazing hotel. After doing sights over the previous 4 days in downtown Cairo, this was a welcome relief and great end to our holiday.

From check in (Rosaline, many thanks) through to our departure 4 nights later we were very impressed with this hotel. Our room was a wonderful upgrade to an Executive Suite. Staff were very good, always helpful. Unlike some bits of Cairo, there was no correlation between excellent service and receipt of tips.

Particular thanks to the golf pro who managed our 6.5 year old very well for his lesson which he much enjoyed. Also the staff at the pool. They even turned on the wave machine at the Beach for our son even though it was shut down for the winter.

Food at the hotel was good. Great cake shop in the main reception, the Chocolate Mud cake was to die for. The Thai night in the Mirage Cafe was extremely good and authentic and very good value. I would be very happy to visit this hotel again."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of February 2007

Beautiful!

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"After staying with my brother in law for a week in Cairo my partner and I checked ourself in for 2 nights to get away from the bustle of cario. This hotel is least 45 mins from Down Town Cairo (and thats on a good day!) but only 10 mins from the airport. On arrival we upgraded to exeuctive for £50($100) which included breakfast, free soft drinks in the exe lounge plus happy hour from 6-7pm with free alcohol drinks(unlimted!!) and nibbles , also a late check out of 4pm and a 15 min massage.

This hotel is immaculate and the decor amazing. There is several restaurants and bars. Food was really good and resonably priced unlike the alcohol.

Because my stay was in january is wasnt sunbathing weather so we didnt use the pool or the waterpark. There is also a free mini bus that runs daily to Nazr city's shopping centre which is a shoppers paridise.

I would defo recommed this hotel if you want to get away from the city or wanted to be near the airport."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of January 2007

Great property, blah service, poor location

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"The JW Marriott is a very modern and nice hotel. It is located to the East of Cairo near the airport. This puts it pretty far away from the main part of Cario. It is actually closest to the residential/business areas of Nasr City, New Cairo and Qattemaya. The good news is that this location does give one a "break" from the pollution, hubbub and crowding of downtown Cairo. It is actually a nice break to be able to "get away" and rest in the relative peace and quiet of the JW. I know we liked having this "Oasis".

Our kids ADORED the JW and if you have kids, I would heartily recommend the JW. Kiddie options abound and it's almost a kind wonderland type place. The wait staff are really nice to kids and I don't think we've ever been to a more understanding, kid-friendly hotel.

However there are a few bad points: you do need to know that you are basically an hour outside Cairo (maybe 40 min on a good day) and you need to make arrangements to get downtown (assuming that's what you're there for...). We had friends who loaned us a car and driver however we kept hearing that getting to/from the JW is a bit of a hassle. I could easily understand this. Be warned.

We also felt that the service at the JW was mediocre. Egypt has been a socialist country for a long while and there is a certain slack attitude towards service. he waiters seem like they shuffle about lazily. We were ignored for looooong stretches but when the waiters did come, they seemed nice.

The JW's pricing for breakfast is LUDICROUS and more suited to New York than Cairo. They charge $20 USD for breakfast and half off for kids. Thus a simple buffet breakfast ran us $50 USD a day (2 kids and mom and dad)! This always seemed like a ripoff and only after we were upgraded to Exec rooms did we get any relief from this ridiculous breakfast charge (exec lounge = free breakfast). My hint to the JW: for goodness sakes, get some sort of reasonable breakfast options. It's bad enough that people are isolated -- don't hold them up for breakfast and add insult to injury.

The JW conceirges are slackers and one of them actually lost a package that we'd given them for delivery to a friend. Our mistake was not getting a receipt from the conceirge but there is no excuse for theft or loss of property. On a better note the front desk manager Mr. Ali. Ahmed stepped in and saved the day by reimbursing us in full for the cost of the loss. If he had not done this, we would have left with a VERY bad taste in our mouths. Thanks Mr. Ahmed --the Marriott is lucky to have people like you around!

Overall- would we stay at the JW Cairo again: YES. But we would really advise the hotel management to read reviews like this and try and move from the "good" category" to "outstanding"."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of December 2006

Fabulous hotel, poor location, awful service.

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We requested the Mena House Oberoi in Cairo because of it's location with a close view of the pyramids. Our travel agent, Lotus Holidays, also know as Sunray Travel, positioned the Marriott hotel as the place to be. Many agents start people at the Oberoi prior to a Nile cruise and put them into the Marriott post cruise. Based on our itinery it never crossed my mind that they would put us into the JW Marriot instead of the Cairo Marriot. The JW Marriott is a very impressive looking business hotel 15 KM from Cairo out in the middle of nowhere. Although the rooms were great we were isolated and bored and subject to eating there. Although the usual buffet breakfast was OK the dinner service was consistantly awful. Waiters were nowhere to be seen until they swooped down to clear the table after the last bite. Then try to get one to bring the bill. Pool service was just as bad. We waited typically 30 minutes to get a snack but some people waited far longer. The problem is that the pool and the main restaurant is far from the kitchen. Beer was OK but wine is marked up 800% so bring your own if you go."

Ripped of by Limo Drivers-Beware

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"On my stay here, the limo drivers ripped me of big time. I advise finding other transportation. Careful, when you ask for a taxi, they insist they can take you cheaper. This is not true and I have the taxi bill for a 3 hour trip from "Aladdin" to prove it. Not impressed."

stunning

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"just a stunning stay. located close to the airport, which is convenient. but not anywhere near downtown cairo. more of a place to relax then see the city. the property is very nice though and the hotel is great. staff was very nice and helpful, except for the server who forgot about me in the restaurant.

would definitely stay again if i was looking for some relaxation while seeing the sites."

Great Hotel

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Fantastic hotel, apart from the fact that they completely messed up our reservation (and it was made through the Marriotts' own website) and kept us waiting from 3 am till 4am for a room. Once we actually got in :) it was fine. Great restaurants, exceptionally friendly people and no hassle for money because you sign for everything.
Pools are great, hotel is beautiful.

Cairo, is, however, a complete toilet and it is full of thieves.

I'd go back to the hotel but definitely not to Cairo (the hotel is about 50 EgP from the city by taxi)"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of October 2006

Far away but great

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"This is a great hotel. Very good rooms with confortable big beds, many pealows and beautifull toillets. However, i'll warn you not to stay near the lake. You'll get a magnificent view but, in the afternoon, you'll meet the bigest flyes in Egypt. The food is very good and you'll have 3 pools to choose and each and everyone of them are very good. You can find a small beach and a pool with waves. It´s a very nice hotel to take your children with you.
There is a small problem (it depends from the point of view). JW Marriott is very far from the city center. We have to take about half an hour to get to Cairo. If you rent a car, there's no problem. But, it's not a very good idea to meet cairo alone driving a car. However, in the end of the day, after hours walking and meeting a magical and magnificent city and culture, it felt very good to return to an hotel with the confort of JW Marriott."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of August 2006

Great Hotel But..........

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"I have no complaints with the quality of the Hotel, in fact it was the nicest hotel i have ever stayed in, however i would have to warn any future prospective residents to be careful with the hotels hidden charges. The Hotel charged city tax of 2%! City Tax? what is this?
Also if you buying anything from the hotels many amenities, i would advise to pay by cash, Do not put it on your hotel bill as tax will be added.

The hotel is also a bit isolated from Cairo City Centre, the Hotel provides a bus service which takes you to cairo and back again. My advice is to select the return option on the bus' route sheet or it will not come back for you!"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of August 2006

Beautiful Hotel

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"I just stayed at the JW Marriott in Cairo. It is definitely the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. The bathroom in my hotel room was all marble, gorgeous. I had a good balcony that looked out to the golf course. Relaxing on the balcony watching the sunset was wonderful. The hotel itself has many things to keep you occupied - a golf course, driving range, wave pool (that was more fun than I thought it would be), regular pool, plus plenty of shops and restaurants. The food at the restaurants was good and reasonably priced. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to provide good service.

The only bad part is that the hotel is not in downtown Cairo, so you cannot just catch a cab to go places. There are hotel shuttles to the Downtown Cairo Marriott, though that will get you into the city. Although, after spending time in downtown Cairo, it is great to escape to a place that is clean and pleasant, instead of dirty and stressful, as I found Cairo to be. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who plans to visit Cairo. Just be aware that you'll have a little difficulty with not being in the city, but that actually can be wonderful too!

Watch out for the 10% tax and the 12% service charge that all hotels in Egypt charge in addition to your room and food costs. It mounts up quickly."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of July 2006

What a hotel! Have stayed here three or...

Reviewed Thu 23rd of August 2007

"What a hotel! Have stayed here three or four times since July 05 and every time we've had a fantastic experience, definitely one of our favourites! Service is pretty good for Egypt - the staff are helpful and friendly and get things right most of the time.

The hotel is clean and modern with well equipped and maintained rooms, the pool facilities are great...especially the wave machine and the artificial beach! They do get quite crowded at the weekends (Fri-Sat) though as many locals are members of the leisure club.

The food served in the restaurants is great quality - we have been to the Italian, the Steakhouse and the North African and have had lovely meals there every time. The complementary breakfast and afternoon snacks in the executive lounge offer a wide selection of things to choose from.

For a game of pool you can't beat the golf club house - its about a 2 minute walk up the drive to the back of the hotel and has its own restaurant and bar with three free pool tables, sports on the TV and a balcony with views over the golf course and Cairo suburbs.

I'd recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here when I go back to Cairo if I wanted to be outside the city.

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

It was the worst weekend package, we hav...

Reviewed Mon 3rd of July 2006

"It was the worst weekend package, we have ever booked.

We were told on the phone to arrive at 1pm and two double rooms would be ready for us, when we arrived at 1pm only one room was available we asked for the rooms to be over looking the pool, it wasn’t it was over looking the golf course, we also asked for adjoining rooms, as our daughters were staying with us.

When we picked up the phone to complain to reception only to be left hanging on the phone for ten minutes, we again tried to call reception to be left on hold with an answer phone, this was not only unprofessional but very frustrating. We then decided to go down to reception where we were left again not forgetting this was now 2.30pm.

I traveled to Egypt for only the weekend as it was my daughters 18th birthday, after all this waiting around losing one day, we left without staying the service was unbelievable for a five star hotel, no apologies, nothing absolutely unprofessional service, this was meant to be a birthday surprise for my daughter but instead became a nightmare. Very upsetting for all of us."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of July 2006

Hotels near JW Marriott Hotel Cairo

Stayed at JW Marriott Hotel Cairo? Share your insight.

JW Marriott Hotel Cairo is also called