InterContinental Cairo Semiramis

كرنيش النيل, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Most Awesome Hotel!

"We just returned from a 2 week tour of Egypt. we stayed at this hotel for the last three nights and it was the best accomodation in Egypt. Actually it rates as one of the top hotels I've stayed at in the world. The rooms were clean, modern, quiet and outfitted with top of the line ammenities such as the bath towels, robes and even slippers. Ask for a room with the view of the Nile- you won't regret it! We ate every night at their restaurant "Night & Day Restaurant" and the food was excellent. The service was outstanding,in the restaurant, front desk, and housekeeping. Everyone was overly friendly and attentive. The business center was excellent and not overly priced. Their staff was also great.
I wished we could have stayed at this hotel for the entire stay in Cairo. It is worth every penny especially after an exhausting day of touring."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of December 2007

Great location, nice rooms(although showing their age) generally good service

"Great location interesting hotel nice but somewhat noisy room(although I can sleep through a lot of noise and it didn't bother me), generally the service was good but an incompetent Bell Captain started us off on the wrong foot and its impossible to get a manager to respond without going through more layers of bureaucracy than the Vatican. We had a nice Nile view room but for a 5 star hotel some things were just off. It started when we arrived at about 1 by 1:30 we were checked in but our luggage hadn't arrived at the Bell Stand. I went to see the Bell Captain and he waved its down the hall(which hall I wasn't clear on) He asked if it was by the Bell stand...no duh that is why I am asking you. we were part of a party of 8 not a large group by any standard. 15 minutes later I went to see him again still no luggage. he said it would be coming out another door. 15 minutes later I went and asked the Concierge could he get me a manager. He sent to to the front end -reception "manager" who and I told him the problem. Finally the bell Captain sent some people to screen our luggage! It was just sitting there by the scanner. Most of our group decided to take it up themselves---which is really not nice for a five star hotel. I told the front end manager that the least he could do was to send up a pot of coffee/tea for our troubles and he said he would....half hour later in our room no coffee. I called the "service hot line" and again asked for the manager of course she wanted to know the problem....so I told her and she said let me put you through to the manager....who was unavailable. She said she would get us the coffee. Room service called and asked us what we wanted...coffee and tea and it finally was sent. I had expected that at least the manager or someone would call and ask us if the problem had been resolved...but we didn't hear anything from any one. Our mood improved because it was a very nice room and when we asked for feather pillows they came very quickly 6 of them replacing all the pillows on the bed. The room and halls are showing their age with some yellowing of the wall paper. I have sent in a complaint to intercontinental and will see how the respond. I know my other complaint is somewhat petty as the room was supposed to be supplied with 2 complimentary bottles of mineral water each day and we received a total of one such bottle.
The hotel has one of the best breakfasts I have ever seen at any hotel. I'll attach a picture from my room..."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of December 2007

Outstanding Hotel In Cairo

"Just recently returned from spending a week in Egypt, which included 4 nights on the Nile and 3 nights in the Intercontinental Semiramis Hotel in Cairo. The hotel was everything a 5-star hotel should be -- great service, great people, great restaurants, great shopping in the many shops inside the hotel and beautiful rooms. The rooms also have Internet connectivity for your laptop. It's not free, but affordable, if you need to get online. They also have a complete business center, if you don't have your own gear. In our opinion, the best restaurant was the Thai restaurant inside the hotel. My wife and I ate there and had about 5 different items off the menu and the total cost was about $42.00. We had no alcoholic drinks with the meal, although they are available. All the other restaurants were excellent, including the one for breakfast in the morning. Try the fresh mango juice!

A tip -- There is a shop (operated by John) on the mezzanine level that has many different items, including paintings on real papyrus, that you can purchase for a fraction of what you'll pay at the papyrus store where the tour guides take you. Why? Because he doesn't have to pay commissions to the tour guides. We purchased one of the painings there for $15 and the same one in the papyrus store was over $100.00. It's the very same item.

I marked it 4 stars in terms of the price, but I just checked on one of the travel search engines and it's listed for about $150.00 per night if you go to the main web site of Intercontinental Hotels. I don't know if that's the regular price, but it's a great price for this hotel. All in all, it's a beautiful hotel and we're looking forward to returning some day."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of November 2007

Very very excellent hotel!

Good

"My wife and I spent a week late Octobter 2007 at the Semiramus Intercontinental Hotel in downtown Cairo, attending an international conference. We travel much and have a few favorite hotels (the Ritz Carltons in Chicago is our all time favorite) but the Semiramus in Cairo is a close contender. The location is excellent (be sure to request a view of the nile, as it's beautiful, especially at night). We sat on the balcony much more than at most hotels watching the sun go down and the lights on the nile. The breakfasts, came with our room, were wonderful. The pancakes were the best we've ever eaten. They had lots of local fruit, pastries, lebanese dishes, little pizza-like things, humus, vegetables, cereals (with really good granola), and the usual grill with meats eggs omelets, etc.. Anyway, we loved breakfast every day, viewing the nile, from the best seats in the breakfast room. It's fun watching all the interesting people with all the different attire from all over the world, too. Anyway, the cleaning staff were wonderful, greeting us every morning, and clearly trying to meet all our needs. The concierge was fabulous, friendly, and had lots of good advice. There are some fantastic restaurants in the hotel (I think there are about 7-8.). We loved the lebanese restaurant and the thai restaurant. There's also a shopping mall downstairs with a 24 hour bank. All-in-all it was fabulous.
As for the city of Cairo, however, I'd give it a huge -10. What a pit. Chaos, honking horns constantly, smog, rip-offs everywhere you turn, smelly, disgusting, intimidating, and just generally gross. I've lived in Turkey for 3 years, travelled all over the world and there is almost no place I'd rather avoid than Cairo. My advice would be to go there for as little time as possible. You can see all the sights in 2 well planned days (Gisa, Egyptian museum, market and citadel). You might want to take a dinner trip on the nile (which we did, with the conference, and the belly dancer was fabulous). I'd keep the visit to Cairo as short as possible! but I'd definitely recommend the Semiramus Intercontinental, if you have to go to Cairo."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of November 2007

Great Hotel - Best I stayed in - in Egypt!

"Amazing hotel!!! Great Room with balcony overlooking the nile. Rooms were quiet. The restaurants are not cheap in the hotel. If you want to save a few bucks take a taxi from the street. This hotel is known to locals as being expensive so taxi drivers will try to rip you off with higher fares. I always asked to be dropped off at the Egyptian museum and dared to cross the streets which is a challenge. You usually need access to the lounge to enter (which I could since I am a Platinum member) but no card was required to enter it since the doors were always open. So head to the 18th floor for free breakfast, snacks and drinks since no one checks whether you are entitled to access it! :) My gift to you!"

• Travel date: Tue 13th of November 2007

I always wondered where diplomats stay while traveling

"This hotel and its location are specctacular. For starters it is walking distance to everything - the Egyptian and Modern Art museum, the subway, Tihrar Square, Nile water front, etc. They have very high seccurity including bomb sniffinng dog, x-ray, metal detector, guards, baricades. The staff in the restaurants went out of their way to get me a fruit and yogurt breakfast platter late at night. There is a bank in the building. My room was brand new with a city view balcony and thick Egyptian cotton sheets and towels. The fitness center is ALWAYS open which was really immportant to me. The business ccenter is also 24/7 and well equiped. They have someone on every floor practicaly waiting for your call. I bought their childrens charity book of paintings, which I thought was so kind and clever."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of November 2007

Consistent quality

"Have stayed here five times since April 2007, in different rooms on different floors., all of which were well equipped and comfortable. Quite the best run Intercontinental I have ever stayed in. Now that the refurbishment is complete, also one of the most attractive. Great location and quite unusally good range of six restaurants. But what makes the hotel stand out is the consistent friendliness of the staff, even at peak times, and first-rate service. If things go a little amiss, they fix them faster than any hotel I have stayed in over the last 40 years."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of September 2007

Very nice hotel in a good location

"To be brief, this is the best Intercon I have visited.

The public areas and dining are particularly impressive. It's lively and full of character.

The location is great for the Nile and it's associated attractions. The museum is also in walking distance.

Front desk and concierge were very helpful, eg to arrange trip to Pyramids.

Only slight disappointment would be the rooms. The are spacious, but a little bit tired."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of August 2007

Top of the Line

"I went on a 10 day tour Beginning and ending in Cairo. I stayed at the Semiramis our last 3 days and I loved it. I believe that this was one of the top 3 hotels in the city. I don't think I would have been able to afford staying at the hotel if it wasn't for our package thru Go Ahead Tours. This hotel is 5 star all the way. you feel like Paris Hilton, in a good way, when you are in the room over looking the Nile River."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of August 2007

Great Hotel

Good

"I stayed at the Semiramis for 5 nights from 21 March this year and had a great experience. The check-in staff were efficient and courteous - even though I (apparently) seemed to be missing one little slip of paper to show that the room had already been booked and paid for!

My booking was for a city view standard room but I emailed independently of my travel agent to request a room above the 15th floor, and a quiet one, if possible. I had an immediate response from the Reception Desk to say that they would give me a Nile facing room and high up, as requested. I found - t0 my delight! - that my room was indeed facing the Nile, and was on the 23rd (out of 28!) floors so I had a fantastic view. The room was a good size, with a huge bed - at least a King and maybe larger. Enough for three pillows across and I could lay from side to side and not have head or feet off the bed!

The room, and the bathroom particularly, was spotlessly cleaned and I had fresh towels every day, despite leaving them to be reused.

The downside was that some of the restaurants were closed but the Cafe Corniche was open 24 hours, and has a charming manager who would always stop and chat. Room Service was quick and efficient.

And the breakfast buffet - as posted by another member here - was excellent. Well-cooked and delicious (though the toaster machine is a little weird!), and Ali always made sure that my tea-cup was never empty, despite me sitting outside the restaurant on the pool terrace.

All in all, an excellent experience and I recommend the Semiramis."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of April 2007

We reached this hotel on Dec 20 at aroun...

"We reached this hotel on Dec 20 at around 09:00 pm . We were supposed to have a n executive reservation room with Nile overview. Which was not . After discussion with the staff . We were stuck there for almost an hour before a gentleman his name is Ahmad was kind enough to give us a room with a view. The experience with the staff was so terrible that one of the receptionist , her name was ; Rola ; told my wife to sit down and shut up “” sort of “ because our reservation voucher was with her colleague not with her . The same problem was repeated On Jan 2, 2008 because our agent insisted to reserve us with this nonsense hotel.
The other day we have our breakfast, which was nice with lot of choices, but the staff there want were in so such to throw you out and you wonder why ? . We decided to have the dinner buffet there also . and after rushing you with the bill which was about 850 pounds for 2 adults and a kid , they insisted that my daughter , 11 years old, as a full adult. When my wife said that she is living in the hotel as a minor . They insisted that was not their problem.
I wonder why I want to go back and pay 900 pounds dinner to be insulted by these human beings. By the way the room smelled terrible , They purposely forgot to give you a towel and robe so you pay them tips.
It is simply doesn’t worth it.

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of January 2008

We were staying in Nuweiba, Red Sea when...

"We were staying in Nuweiba, Red Sea when we took a 2 day trip with Longwoods to Cairo. We stayed in this hotel for one night.

Our room was ok, it smelled of smoke when we entered. The view from our balcony was a service road.

We arrived in time for dinner, the buffet was very nice but it seemed like the staff were rushing you to eat and go. After dinner we sat by the pool, which looked very nice with the lights around it. We ordered a bottle of water and it was £1.20 compared to 25p in our hotel in Nuweiba. I was glad I was only there for a night. We went back to our room about 8pm, watched tv and went to sleep.

In the morning we woke at 7am and went to take breakfast which once again was fine, lots of choice.

We walked around the hotel and noticed lots of people watching, we felt a little uneasy. We left at 9am and went to visit the Pyramids.

For a 5 star hotel, we thought the rooms could have smelt nicer. In all its a very nice hotel, (for a night). Too expensive to stay there any longer."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of September 2004

Hotels near InterContinental Cairo Semiramis

Stayed at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis? Share your insight.

InterContinental Cairo Semiramis is also called